Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Too many new players: Discuss

Read 3872 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Too many new players: Discuss
      Reply #23: Aug 10, 2014 06:32:03 am
      Could be wrong, but most (including the media) think we have signed 7 new players when actually it is 8?  ;)

they're not counting Rickie Lambert as a player.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,649 posts | 3882 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Aug 10, 2014 08:55:16 am
      Could be wrong, but most (including the media) think we have signed 7 new players when actually it is 8?  ;)

Youth signing

lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #25: Aug 10, 2014 11:03:31 am
      We've brought a lot of players so far but not many of the quality that'll turn those tight 0-0 games into 1-0 games like Suarez could.

Think a lot of season will depend on our next signing, that striker with top quality who can replace those goals.

I think Lovren, Lallana and Can will be our most impressive signings this season.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #26: Aug 10, 2014 01:53:05 pm
      Gut instinct is we have made exactly the same mistake Spurs did last year.

I desperately hope I'm wrong but we may only play we only end up playing 3 or 4 more games than last season.  We needed to bring in players significantly better than the ones we had in certain positions and I'm really not sure we've done that.

Personally I think we have avoided the mistakes that Spurs made but only time will tell.

The root cause of Spur's problems were the maniac chairman who was completely unable to focus on what he wanted from the manager.

Let's not forget he sacked Redknapp for AVB swopping a tactically limited manager who nevertheless based his game on pace and penetration and motivation for AVB, a deep tactical thinker with the personality of a 1950’s prison warden who set up his team in a pressing, possession-based defensive format. Then, despite Spur’s progress in the league, Levy decided he was more concerned about their attacking style and forced AVB to try and play a more expansive and penetrative game. After that failed, he then sacked the manager and replaced him with Sherwood – a tactical idiot who completely abandoned AVB’s approach and just as quickly got found out after his honeymoon period.

I would argue that it would be virtually impossible for a squad to do well in those circumstances, let alone a bunch of new arrivals. In the most crucial aspect therefore we have got a settled plan in place and have given some thought about how the arrivals are going to fit into the squad.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #27: Aug 10, 2014 02:09:42 pm
      Option 2. Boss said the squad was too thin and he's mostly corrected that. If we could add a decent striker and a new LB I think we're good.

Bang on the money.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Reply #28: Aug 10, 2014 02:13:46 pm
      It will be a minor miracle if we hit the ground running.

I've just seen a minor miracle!!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7151 
      Reply #29: Aug 10, 2014 02:17:07 pm
      I've just seen a minor miracle!!

lets wait and see next week. I hate preseason games its so hard to work out how well we are doing. But 4 goals and a clean sheet is a very nice way to finish it. Nice headache for Brendan now as the side will be very difficult to get into .
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Reply #30: Aug 10, 2014 02:35:32 pm
      lets wait and see next week. I hate preseason games its so hard to work out how well we are doing. But 4 goals and a clean sheet is a very nice way to finish it. Nice headache for Brendan now as the side will be very difficult to get into .

Know what you're saying mate and warm up games can be misleading.
      Having said that Dortmund are no slouches and will give any side a testing time, what impressed tho' was the crisp one touch movement with the confidence needed to make it work.
      The way they were closed down was also refreshing to see and again the confidence was so obvious, light years away from the defensive debacle we were subject to in the last term.
      Cautiously optimistic will do for me.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #31: Aug 24, 2014 03:54:18 am
      Current injuries to some of our new recruits may be a blessing in disguise.

I was worried that throwing in too new many players in to a team that has been together unchanged, for more than a year, would cost us. However, the slow introduction of signings in to the first team, may benefit us in the long run.

I said Southampton would be our weakest XI all season. Next up City.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,968 posts | 5027 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #32: Aug 24, 2014 10:03:45 am
      Option 2 all day for me,
      We won't make the mistakes spuds made we're far better than that shower of sh*t, thats  Levy trying to muscle his way into being a top 4 contender, HB is right, had they stuck with Hairy Kneecap, it might have panned out better,  he would have stuck with his core players and introduced the new ones gradually
      But who gives a F**k about them Kunt's,

Brendan will do likewise, he's a clever man is our BR,  he recognised our weakest point's and has addressed those very well indeed, especially at the back, Lovren, Manquillo & now Moreno, that trio alone have immediately made us look stronger, more solid,  in no way will we concede as many as we did last term,
      Same in midfield, again we look stronger with added creativity,
      And now with the imminent arrival of Mario the mad we look very potent too,

Brendan is building a very very good side in front our very eyes,  only the weak and disbelievers will argue as such, we will all see soon enough the fruits of his labour,  and the players he's bringing in will merge into the team like cars merging onto a motorway,

I was excited before this week's events now Ive got a permanent stiffy.

YNWA

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #33: Aug 24, 2014 10:24:55 am
      There's 2 arguments I can see to signing that many players.

1) Its too many and it will take too long to gel (see the numerous times Spurs outcome last season was mentioned)

2) They will be needed to strengthen the squad and will help move us up another level.

I'll go for an amended option #2 Bri.

The new signings appear to have strengthened and added a bit more depth in some areas (depending on who, if anyone, eventually leaves of course): certainly enough to cement our place in the top four.

To be honest tho'; that [maintain top four] 'target' isn't exactly too daunting anyhow, in my opinion. Put another way: I don't see, at this early stage, much competition or threat from any team which finished outside it last season.

It's the "move us up another level" part I'm just not sure about mate. "Another level", for me, means Champions and that is less about numbers than quality.

So, to be clear: the number of players should see us "strengthen the squad" enough to remain top four but... "move us up another level"? I don't know.  :-\
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2014 12:03:08 pm by bad boy bubby »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 757 
      Reply #34: Aug 25, 2014 07:06:05 am
      We have a lot of options

http://talksport.com/football/liverpools-amazing-ps100m-attacking-options-revealed-how-balotelli-could-fit-140822109168

this is a great examples of how many attacking options we have. We need a bigger squad based on all the games we might end up playing in a post world cup season.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,649 posts | 3882 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Aug 25, 2014 08:09:03 am
      For the first time in about a decade it seems to me that we actually have a proper squad.
      Back in the day Rafa always said that we needed to first team players and a youth player for each position.
      Last season we couldn't even fill the bench without using youth players, while City had enough first team players for two 11s.

I love what we've done in the summer. So much so I've put money on us winning the league.
      I'm not arsed about finding negatives in what we've done or worrying about who will leave.
      I'm excited to see how this season unfolds. It will be one hell of a ride and a bit madder now that Mario has arrived, but we kind of need that too.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #36: Aug 25, 2014 09:30:58 am
      So much so I've put money on us winning the league.
      Me too racer... 12/1 [£30 e.w.] in a four horse race was too good to overlook.  8)
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 25, 2014 10:36:04 am
      I think the new players will be introduced slowly. Both the M&M fullbacks won't play tonight in the starting 11. I am guessing Moreno and Johnson to start. Markovic as sub. Can is probably a couple of weeks away. Lallana as well but he is used to the PL. Balotelli may well play against spurs as their defence is their weakspot. Essentially even by games 3 or 4 you're talking about 8-9 of the starting 11 being established LFC players..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,649 posts | 3882 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Aug 25, 2014 10:36:48 am
      Me too racer... 12/1 [£30 e.w.] in a four horse race was too good to overlook.  8)

Yeah, I went for e.w. too. At 12/1 why F***ing not.

Quick Reply