Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Can we avoid doing a Tottenham?

Read 15631 times
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Re: Can we avoid doing a Tottenham?
      Reply #92: Jul 23, 2014 04:42:03 pm
      Thanks for the explanation .... sadly I am not always up on new "computer speak."

TBHITPJMSUWICTATN

Or in other words, mate;

To Be Honest I Think People Just Make sh*t Up When It Comes To Abbreviating Things Nowadays... ;) ;D.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #93: Jul 23, 2014 04:42:34 pm
      I don't think Tottenham's spending was that bad. Most people were excited and had them as one of the favourites for the title.

The rest were okay/decent signings other than Soldado and Paulinho. Two massive flops. Soldado was such a bad buy that they've tried setting their whole team around him and it just isn't working.

I'm not scared we'll do what Tottenham did however. Bale was their only quality player (other than Lloris), when they sold him to Real Madrid. Without Suarez we still have Sterling, Sturridge, Gerrard and Coutinho who are miles better than anything Tottenham have ever had when they sold Bale (still better than anything they currently have).

I don't think Tottenham did that badly replacing Bale. They finished with a similar points total, even with a manager like Sherwood for half the season. The reason why they did worse than expected was purely because the other players they had were were not as good as people thought, and Bale was bailing them out every week.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #94: Jul 23, 2014 04:43:46 pm
      That's very considerate of you thinking of the oldies on the forum  :D

It's just a case of putting myself in other's shoes. I know I wouldn't want to read a long-winded post from some wet-behind-the-ears lad with only 15 posts, especially if that long-winded post was about Tottenham.

What horseshit is this?

It's INRAT!!  (I'm not reading all that)

No need to be aggressive mate it's what I've become accustomed to seeing and using on the interweb (as my father would say) and to be honest I've never seen "INRAT!!" before.

Thanks for the explanation .... sadly I am not always up on new "computer speak."

Oh it's a pleasure mate and sometimes I feel exactly like you feel it seems like I learn a new word or acronym on the internet everyday, case in point: "INRAT!!".
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #95: Jul 23, 2014 04:44:32 pm
      1) Spurs downfall turned out to be exaggerated.
      2) Spurs spent nothing (net). We will have a net spend, giving ourselves a greater opportunity for replacing Luis' total contribution.
      3) Spurs sold their best player twice, Modric was a huge loss also, neither were replaced properly. We aren't making that mistake.
      4) The number of games Bale won them was incomparable to the number Luis won us, essentially we're replacing less of a total contribution.

No, nothing has me thinking we'll "do a Spurs" but I do think there's a good chance we wont make 2nd (still top 4) this season but still consider it progress. The challenges of extra important games, the integration of a big number of arrivals and the improvement in first team players that our direct rivals are achieving at the moment has me believing that 3rd/4th might end up where we'll finish.

We all knew last season that the perfect storm of lack of games/small squad/few injuries to the core group/going out of cup competitions early meant all our focus could be on the league and didn't we just damn nearly pull it off. Those weather conditions wont be around again this coming season thankfully. Our focus will be spread and squad rotation will cause challenges for Brendan he's not faced with us before but he'll learn fast, he always has. I'm going to enjoy our return to the big time, I'm also hopeful we'll have a good domestic cup run this time around. Personally I'm prepared for a year of transition, not expecting a big step backwards in terms of the league but also trying to be realistic with the challenges Brendan faces. A great year is ahead of us, a year I think we'll see some of the young guns really establish themselves in the first team and I'm really looking forward to it.

United have been knocked well and truly off our perch, and we're climbing steadily back to our proud place atop it again.

Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #96: Jul 23, 2014 04:52:23 pm

No, nothing has me thinking we'll "do a Spurs" but I do think there's a good chance we wont make 2nd (still top 4) this season but still consider it progress. The challenges of extra important games, the integration of a big number of arrivals and the improvement in first team players that our direct rivals are achieving at the moment has me believing that 3rd/4th might end up where we'll finish.

Personally I'm prepared for a year of transition, not expecting a big step backwards in terms of the league but also trying to be realistic with the challenges Brendan faces. A great year is ahead of us, a year I think we'll see some of the young guns really establish themselves in the first team and I'm really looking forward to it.

United have been knocked well and truly off our perch, and we're climbing steadily back to our proud place atop it again.

I'm of a similar opinion mate, this season (for me) is about consolidation and if we can finish in the top 4 again and have a decent run in the Champions League whilst bedding in all these new young players then ill be happy. If we had kept hold of Luis my aspirations would be higher BUT you can't lose arguably the best and most influential player in world football last season without some fall off. I actually think the mancs will make a real charge for it this season so the competition for top 4 will be full-on.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #97: Jul 23, 2014 05:34:35 pm
      No need to be aggressive mate it's what I've become accustomed to seeing and using on the interweb (as my father would say) and to be honest I've never seen "INRAT!!" before.

Is your delicate soul alright, petal?

Is your dad Peter Kay?

And I'm just taking the piss!! ;)

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #98: Jul 23, 2014 05:40:23 pm

Is your dad Peter Kay?

Shouldn't that be TTP ?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #99: Jul 23, 2014 06:00:50 pm
      2) Spurs spent nothing (net). We will have a net spend, giving ourselves a greater opportunity for replacing Luis' total contribution.
      3) Spurs sold their best player twice, Modric was a huge loss also, neither were replaced properly. We aren't making that mistake.
      4) The number of games Bale won them was incomparable to the number Luis won us, essentially we're replacing less of a total contribution.

We all knew last season that the perfect storm of lack of games/small squad/few injuries to the core group/going out of cup competitions early meant all our focus could be on the league and didn't we just damn nearly pull it off. Those weather conditions wont be around again this coming season thankfully. Our focus will be spread and squad rotation will cause challenges for Brendan he's not faced with us before but he'll learn fast, he always has. I'm going to enjoy our return to the big time, I'm also hopeful we'll have a good domestic cup run this time around. Personally I'm prepared for a year of transition, not expecting a big step backwards in terms of the league but also trying to be realistic with the challenges Brendan faces. A great year is ahead of us, a year I think we'll see some of the young guns really establish themselves in the first team and I'm really looking forward to it.

Spot on.

I would be happy for us to cement out place in the top four again. That may sound unambitious but it isn't, because it would prove to us that it wasn't just a flash in the pan last season.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #100: Jul 23, 2014 06:01:13 pm

Is your dad Peter Kay?

I knew you were just taking the piss mate I've heard people from Huyton possess an interesting sense of humour. And no my dad isn't Peter Kay but he is as chubby as him though.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #101: Aug 26, 2014 08:53:51 am

No.4 is utter nonesense mate. We were reliant on Suarez as ever. He got the best out of all of our players, he lifted the team. The goals and assists aside, Suarez created a new dimension of play on the field. Teams were sh*t scared of him and always use to make mistakes when he was nearby. Just look at the amount of times his presence alone forced defenders into making silly mistakes.

Last night we looked predictable probably against the worst City team (performance wise) we have faced since 12/13 season. Sturridge was wasteful and often isolated, Sterling had no one to work with (usually he combines brilliantly with Suarez in this fixture) and Coutinho, Gerrard and Hendo were barely anywhere to be seen.

So I'll have to strongly disagree with you. I've never been a great fan of how Rodgers spends the club's money but I'll just have to remain patient.

Have we brought in too many faces? Personally I believe so. I would not have sold suarez (he's contracted to us). I would have purchased two top fullbacks and a top central midfielder. Why try and dramatically increase squad depth?

As Rodgers usually says - it's work in progress. He's still young and will therefore continue to learn.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #102: Aug 26, 2014 09:56:28 am
      We've bought quite a lot of good players. Some, in time, could become fantastic players. But they will need time to learn.
      Look at how few games Moreno, Manquillo, Caan, Markovich etc have actually played. Let alone played in the Prem Lge.

Our "best signing", and one I'm really excited about, has some  weaknesses. But more importantly is a very different player to the one he replaces. Balo was ONE assist at Man City, vs Luis, the focal pt of our whole team. Then we have the question of Balo alongside Sturridge. Then where will Lazar and Lallana play. Where will Sterling play?

Will Gerrard's legs last? Is our midfield protection of the back 4 good enough?

We have a MASSIVE self imposed structural change. And our main weakness, the controlling and defensive side of midfield IMO, hasn't really been changed a lot.

So unfortunately, there ARE major similarities with Spurs. Perhaps we can rectify them with Balo and others. Perhaps not.
      Personally, I'm concenred that the handover from Luis to whoever, was handled a bit recklessly. Its not like we didnt know he might ask to leave.

Alan Smith made an interesting pt. He basically said that as we came 2nd last yr, a lot of the 1st choice players we had werent that bad. And that Luis carried us up a level. So the decision BR made was illogical in one way.  We replaced players we didnt necess need to replace. And have failed to replace the aspect of the team that was so vital to replace.

I know we have Balotelli, but he is very different to Luis, is valued at much less and cannot reasonably be expected to slot in as a direct replacement.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #103: Aug 26, 2014 10:07:58 am
      I don't know how Spurs accommodated all their new players - whether they threw most into the first team or not but Brendan seems to be taking the slowly-slowly approach by introducing a couple to the regular(ish) eleven. Sensible if you ask me, especially at this stage of the season. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #104: Aug 26, 2014 10:19:56 am
      We've bought quite a lot of good players. Some, in time, could become fantastic players. But they will need time to learn.
      Look at how few games Moreno, Manquillo, Caan, Markovich etc have actually played. Let alone played in the Prem Lge.

Our "best signing", and one I'm really excited about, has some  weaknesses. But more importantly is a very different player to the one he replaces. Balo was ONE assist at Man City, vs Luis, the focal pt of our whole team. Then we have the question of Balo alongside Sturridge. Then where will Lazar and Lallana play. Where will Sterling play?

Will Gerrard's legs last? Is our midfield protection of the back 4 good enough?

We have a MASSIVE self imposed structural change. And our main weakness, the controlling and defensive side of midfield IMO, hasn't really been changed a lot.

So unfortunately, there ARE major similarities with Spurs. Perhaps we can rectify them with Balo and others. Perhaps not.
      Personally, I'm concenred that the handover from Luis to whoever, was handled a bit recklessly. Its not like we didnt know he might ask to leave.

Alan Smith made an interesting pt. He basically said that as we came 2nd last yr, a lot of the 1st choice players we had werent that bad. And that Luis carried us up a level. So the decision BR made was illogical in one way.  We replaced players we didnt necess need to replace. And have failed to replace the aspect of the team that was so vital to replace.

I know we have Balotelli, but he is very different to Luis, is valued at much less and cannot reasonably be expected to slot in as a direct replacement.

Who should we have bought to replace Suarez then and how would you have convinced them to leave their club and join us? Are you perhaps suggesting that we just went all out on one player, slapped £200 million on the table, offered £500,000 per week in wages in an attempt to get Messi or is there some other player who was chomping at the bit to move to Liverpool???
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #105: Aug 26, 2014 10:38:53 am
      Who should we have bought to replace Suarez then and how would you have convinced them to leave their club and join us? Are you perhaps suggesting that we just went all out on one player, slapped £200 million on the table, offered £500,000 per week in wages in an attempt to get Messi or is there some other player who was chomping at the bit to move to Liverpool???

No ofcourse not.Because the Luis replacement must be costed relative to Luis.

The fact is, we haven't really endeared ourselves to the top players of other clubs, or even our own in recent years.
      (Just ask Mascherano and Torres etc)
      Moneyball and the like sounds great for those in America who bought the club. But the top players are stimulated by passion, the name of top clubs. OR they have to be given an "offer they cant refuse" eg Falcao to Monaco.

The reality is that teams who buy "galacticos" are seducing top players. Teams that are run as traditional football clubs seduce top players. If we were more like Bayern and Real we'd attract top stars no problem whatsoever.

Playing without a lynchpin is a bit like playing without a goalkeeper. We knew for well over 2 yrs that Luis was considering a move. There is an argument that we could have sat tight and said, "you dont move til we get a replacement". After all, he was on a long deal, and if he snapped his cruciate and became a fat, slow sack of sh*te, we'd still be bound to pay him god knows how much per week.

Personally, I think that so far, the owners have been seduced by the idea of a lower priced, lower waged, younger replacement, in line with their Moneyball. Whilst Falcao and Cavani have been approached, it remains to be seen just how good an offer it was. After all, any team can say "we want Falcao", but its no good if they offer wages well below mkt rates, as an example.

I believe the transfer committee/owners were motivated by the business case  ie 75m in, and will prob still get top 4, than the football case.

In our heyday, the byword of the Liverpool Way was always continuity. And the epitomy of replacing a superstar has to be the signing of Dalglish.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #106: Aug 26, 2014 11:21:43 am
      After last nights performance which was pretty good apart from sh*t defence should be enough to convince everyone that we can avoid doing a tottenham.

We are just a bit toothless in attack, I think Danny needs a partner up top or he ends up completely isolated and can't get into the game. Hopefully Mario is the man to help take the burden away and give him a bit more space.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #107: Aug 26, 2014 12:09:56 pm
      Still very early to judge how all the new players will settle in. On paper, good signings.  And last night would've been tough for anyone

Simply on the balance of probabilities, not all of them will be a hit - remains to be seem which ones make most impact.

Whatever about avoiding doing a Tottenham -- we could really do with DOING Tottenham at the weekend.  Another loss would likely leave us 6 pts back from lead, which would not be ideal start.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #108: Aug 26, 2014 02:55:01 pm
      I'll just take this time to reiterate that Spurs last season bought good players but not players who fit their system. Brendan's already gone out and bought specific types of players to fit his ideas.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,650 posts | 3882 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #109: Aug 26, 2014 02:58:12 pm
      I'll just take this time to reiterate that Spurs last season bought good players but not players who fit their system. Brendan's already gone out and bought specific types of players to fit his ideas.

Yeah, but they were managed by a geezer, innit.

*shudders*
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #110: Aug 26, 2014 03:06:41 pm
      Christ, I thought I was in the knee jerk thread.  In fact, lets just drop the knee part of that statement for some of you.  Not many teams are going to take points away from the Etihad and despite some individual errors, we were the better team in the first half and we had some moments in the second. Disappointed but in no way downhearted after that display.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #111: Aug 26, 2014 03:54:43 pm
      Christ, I thought I was in the knee jerk thread.  In fact, lets just drop the knee part of that statement for some of you.  Not many teams are going to take points away from the Etihad and despite some individual errors, we were the better team in the first half and we had some moments in the second. Disappointed but in no way downhearted after that display.

The exaggeration after one game or two is always so boring, pointless and just downright stupid that I don't bother reading too much the match threads after defeats/draws anymore. Funny thing is the same people were saying the end of the world was near when we lost to Hull last season but won't admit the possibility of making the same mistake again (though they've done so multiple times). I'm tired.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #112: Aug 26, 2014 04:10:27 pm
      is this in the wrong forum? did this just get moved here? I swear it wasn't here..
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #113: Aug 26, 2014 05:13:03 pm
      No.4 is utter nonesense mate. We were reliant on Suarez as ever. He got the best out of all of our players, he lifted the team. The goals and assists aside, Suarez created a new dimension of play on the field. Teams were sh*t scared of him and always use to make mistakes when he was nearby. Just look at the amount of times his presence alone forced defenders into making silly mistakes.

Disagree. Bale won Spurs games single handedly. While Luis allowed us to trash teams, he wasn't as significant to our results as Bale was for Spuds.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #114: Aug 26, 2014 05:46:59 pm
      We lost a game and some are already dooming our season
       we lost to the champions, we lost to a very strong side, who lost only 2 home games in how much I don't know games
       Yes we lost 3-1,  apart from the defensive mistakes we made, we matched city and sometimes even better than them in possession and passing
         we created chances  as much as city created, they took them - we did not
       I am sure with our play we will bounce back on track pretty soon
       no comparison with last year's  spurs, they were thrashed by everyone all over the pitch

different to other teams we have the toughest start of the season with direct matches in succession immediately, Not an excuse  I know but it counts aswell,
         saw some positives too in markovic and even Can and moreno

YNWA

Quick Reply