Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Marco Reus (Dortmund)

Read 62933 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Re: Marco Reus (Dortmund)
      Reply #644: Aug 15, 2014 03:14:10 pm
      I can understand him going to Atletico as well if he does go there and playing for the Spanish champions in Madrid isn't a bad way to earn a living.

I'm not 100% convinced he'd be interested in us anyway even if we did pay what was needed.

But surely after seeing the way we destroyed Dortmund it would have given him a good idea of the kind of football we play (and he'd be playing). That versus watching Atletico in the finals against RM where they really looked kind of toothless if my memory is correct.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #645: Aug 15, 2014 03:16:12 pm
      Athletico got hammered in the cup by Real the eventual winners
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #646: Aug 15, 2014 03:18:57 pm
      But surely after seeing the way we destroyed Dortmund it would have given him a good idea of the kind of football we play (and he'd be playing). That versus watching Atletico in the finals against RM where they really looked kind of toothless if my memory is correct.

He might think he can add the teeth. ;)

Like I said as well I think some footballers look at more than just the club and are interested in where the club is actually based and Madrid would be top of the list for many I would imagine.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #647: Aug 15, 2014 03:20:50 pm
      He might think he can add the teeth. ;)

Like I said as well I think some footballers look at more than just the club and are interested in where the club is actually based and Madrid would be top of the list for many I would imagine.

I can see that. Having never been to Liverpool (or Madrid for that matter) I guess there's a weather thing there that might appeal to some folks?

Cost of living I'd think would be worse in Madrid?

I guess for someone like Reus the language barrier is an issue either place.

Me personally, I'd probably pick Liverpool but I'm a bit biased :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #648: Aug 15, 2014 03:22:25 pm
      I can see that. Having never been to Liverpool (or Madrid for that matter) I guess there's a weather thing there that might appeal to some folks?

Liverpool is great FL. Easily one of my favourite places to travel to.

But I'd guess a young footballer could be easily swayed by life in Madrid added playing for the league champions as well.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #649: Aug 15, 2014 03:24:12 pm
      Bit of condescending going on here Atletico won their league and went to a CL final last season they are 2-3 years ahead of us in their development
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #650: Aug 15, 2014 03:28:28 pm

No mate. Much cheaper in Spain than rip off Britain.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #651: Aug 15, 2014 03:33:33 pm
      No mate. Much cheaper in Spain than rip off Britain.

Believe it is more expensive in the bigger cities mate but as you say gotta go some way to beat the rip off UK.
      mcmulled
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 13 
      Reply #652: Aug 15, 2014 03:45:59 pm

FL, Germans are taught and 90% are pretty strong in English by time they hit secondary school.

Even if they aren't the structure is the same as ours so much easier than learn than french or spanish (i.e. they just have to learn the appropriate alternative word, if learning french or spanish they have to learn the entire structuring as well)

Not that it seems to make much difference here though!!
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #653: Aug 15, 2014 03:53:20 pm
      FL, Germans are taught and 90% are pretty strong in English by time they hit secondary school.

Even if they aren't the structure is the same as ours so much easier than learn than french or spanish (i.e. they just have to learn the appropriate alternative word, if learning french or spanish they have to learn the entire structuring as well)

Not that it seems to make much difference here though!!

Most Germans know 2-3 languages. They start learning English at about second grade and once they hit 6th grade they have the option for another language.

That is what my cousins tell me at least, they live there.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #654: Aug 15, 2014 04:17:28 pm
      What are Atletico all about?

Information from the 2012/13 season (source - deloitte).

Ranking - 20th
      Revenue - €120m (€27.5m matchday; €52.5m broadcasting; €40m commercial)

Liverpool that year were ranked 12th (one position behind Dortmund), making a total of €240.6m. Admittedly Atletico were involved in CL football in the 13/14 season and went all the way to the final, meaning they would have made at least an extra €40-50m on top of that. Also to mention that they won the La Liga, so their financial strength continued to increase. Our commercial income in 2012/13 was €114m - significantly more than Atletico's. Also their wage bill was reported to be only £54m as of last season.

Do they have the financial strength to employ a player like Reus? I'm not entirely sure. I don't think them winning the La Liga will change an awful lot. All the tv money in Spain goes to Real Madrid and Barcelona. These are also the only two clubs in Spain that have any sort of commercial power. The fact Diego Costa and Felipe Luis left after winning the La Liga tells you something about Atletico Madrid. I'd be very surprised if Reus went to Atletico as they are a step down from Dortmund in the long run.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #655: Aug 15, 2014 04:26:51 pm
      Arsenal and Liverpool must act fast to sign Marco Reus as he closes in on £21.6million Atletico Madrid transfer
      Friday 15 Aug 2014 8:54 am

Arsenal and Liverpool must be fast to sign £21.6m Reus
      Arsenal and Liverpool must act fast if they want to sign Marco Reus with reports in Spain suggesting he is close to joining Atletico Madrid.

Reus is a target for both the Gunners and the Reds this summer with the player altering teams to his availability by recently rejecting a new contract at Borussia Dortmund.

But despite the Premier League duo being keen, Spanish radio station Cadena Cope say Atletico are in advanced talks to sign the player and are confident of a deal.
      are increasingly resigned to losing Reus now (Picture: Getty)

It’s claimed that a £21.6million bid has been made and the two clubs are now negotiating on how the fee will be paid, with Atletico wanting to pay half now and half in January.

Dortmund are open to selling Reus now as his buyout clause changes to £19.7million next summer – and he will almost certainly depart for that lower amount.
      http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/15/arsenal-and-liverpool-must-act-fast-to-sign-marco-reus-as-he-closes-in-on-21-6million-atletico-madrid-transfer-4833520/

Means if we sell Assaidi and Borini, that pays the fee for Reus :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #656: Aug 15, 2014 04:30:27 pm
      I do hope we can get someone in before the window shuts, I really really really don't want to see Eto at Liverpool.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #657: Aug 15, 2014 04:50:53 pm
      Means if we sell Assaidi and Borini, that pays the fee for Reus :D

Anyone on this forum got £21m to lend Liverpool FC?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #658: Aug 15, 2014 05:24:03 pm
      debt means nothing to some clubs in certain countries,

Hence why tax payers like us had to bail them out during the recession (where all of Spain are piss poor, except the football clubs)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #659: Aug 15, 2014 05:32:33 pm
      They will always have the financial strength, debt means nothing to some clubs in certain countries, it's a way of life. They are ranked way above us in footballing terms, 7th compared to us in 45th.
      If a club is in debt I would expect them to have interest to pay with counts as money spent in FFP.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #660: Aug 15, 2014 05:38:50 pm
      Think he'd do incredibly well at Atletico. Wouldn't surprise me if he was to choose them over any other team that might have an offer accepted either with them being the current La Liga holders and Champions League finalists. Operate on a low budget yet still keeping pace with the big guns, attractive proposition.

That said, I'd love us to match the offer and given our current financial situation we could easily gazump whatever Atletico offer him.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #661: Aug 15, 2014 05:46:29 pm
      Think he'd do incredibly well at Atletico. Wouldn't surprise me if he was to choose them over any other team that might have an offer accepted either with them being the current La Liga holders and Champions League finalists. Operate on a low budget yet still keeping pace with the big guns, attractive proposition.

That said, I'd love us to match the offer and given our current financial situation we could easily gazump whatever Atletico offer him.
      I think he would do better for Atletico than us since he is getting old and La Liga is a bit slower in tempo than the Premier League. Even Aspas was scoring a goal every 3 games in La Liga.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #662: Aug 15, 2014 05:50:00 pm

It's been a long day so I might be missing the funny side of this so apologise if I am (most probably), but getting old? He's only recently turned 25.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #663: Aug 15, 2014 06:01:32 pm
      If it is true then IMO it's a stepping stone as far as Reus is concerned. As someone has already said here class players don't last long at Atleti. It's the perfect club to advertise yourself to Real & Barca. 
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #664: Aug 15, 2014 06:06:44 pm
      If it is true then IMO it's a stepping stone as far as Reus is concerned. As someone has already said here class players don't last long at Atleti. It's the perfect club to advertise yourself to Real & Barca.

A step down in my opinion. To me Dortmund are the better club with better financial strength. I genuinely cannot see why he will join Atletico. Yes, they had a decent season and are still a decent team but, Real Madrid and Barcelona both have huge spending power. If they have a bad season then they'll correct that almost instantly the season after with a number of big signings (Rodriguez and Suarez at RM and Barca respectively).

A stepping stone? Maybe, but if it turns out Barca and RM don't want him, then where?

Atletico lose their best players every season. Something I'll give them huge credit for is their ability to replace their best players. But I'll say this confidently - both Barca and RM will finish above them next season. He'd be better off staying at Dortmund one more season, playing for the club he loves and then moving to either a Barca or RM.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #665: Aug 15, 2014 06:09:38 pm
      It's been a long day so I might be missing the funny side of this so apologise if I am (most probably), but getting old? He's only recently turned 25.
      OOOPS! I thought I was in the Eto thread when I wrote that!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #666: Aug 15, 2014 06:17:56 pm
      A step down in my opinion. To me Dortmund are the better club with better financial strength. I genuinely cannot see why he will join Atletico. Yes, they had a decent season and are still a decent team but, Real Madrid and Barcelona both have huge spending power. If they have a bad season then they'll correct that almost instantly the season after with a number of big signings (Rodriguez and Suarez at RM and Barca respectively).

A stepping stone? Maybe, but if it turns out Barca and RM don't want him, then where?

Atletico lose their best players every season. Something I'll give them huge credit for is their ability to replace their best players. But I'll say this confidently - both Barca and RM will finish above them next season. He'd be better off staying at Dortmund one more season, playing for the club he loves and then moving to either a Barca or RM.

I wouldn't right them off because of how much money the other 2 spend. Last summer Madrid spent £85mill on Bale, about £30mill for Illaramedni and the same for Isco, that's well over £100mill and that's not including the likes of Carvajal. Barca didn't spend as much but spent around £60mill on Neymar.

Spending big is important but having a togetherness and a fantastic understanding as a team along with the right management is just as important and Atletico proved that.

Quick Reply