Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 314913 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #1035: Nov 27, 2015 04:45:23 pm
      How did he played against the Bordeaux?

Absolutely grand. Looked comfortable most of the game.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1036: Nov 27, 2015 05:13:14 pm
      It's been good to see Lovren put in a few consecutively solid starts. He can be a bit overly aggressive at times, but it seems like he's definitely a confidence player.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #1037: Nov 27, 2015 07:03:30 pm
      Good to see the lad putting in some decent performances and starting to build his confidence back up.  Keep up the hard work Dejan!!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1038: Nov 27, 2015 07:18:46 pm
      I don't mean this horrible, but I'm dying to see him completely f*ck up, a complete calamity. THEN we'll see if he has what it takes, because in the past it's his reaction to making a mistake, sometimes even a minor one that's undone him.

When nothing goes wrong, he's a fine player (easy to say I guess). His whole game though, the way he defends agressively, the way he runs with the ball, the way he attacks headers like a lunatic etc are all based on him playing with confidence and freedom. Seemingly as soon as he misplaces a pass he goes onto the back foot defensively, the ball becomes a grenade that he wants nothing to do with and he gets bullied out of headers. It's all beween the ears at the top level of sport, and I don't think I've ever seen a more glaring example of it than Dejan. If Jürgen can get inside his bonce and make him believe then we have a top player on our hands, unfortunately as much as I rate the boss I'm not sure even he can do it. 
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #1039: Nov 27, 2015 07:22:26 pm
      Its a bonus that he is starting to look like a decent player because I reckon most people had written him off me included.
      I think seeing Klopp put his arm around him has helped him feel like part of the team again and thats good for us. Still a long way to go to get anywhere near the quality his fee suggests but he is moving in the right direction
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1040: Nov 27, 2015 07:38:24 pm
      Its a bonus that he is starting to look like a decent player because I reckon most people had written him off me included.
      I think seeing Klopp put his arm around him has helped him feel like part of the team again and thats good for us. Still a long way to go to get anywhere near the quality his fee suggests but he is moving in the right direction

The fee does look a bit chunky right now no argument there. We've wasted similar money on worse players than Lovren though, and I suppose all is not (quite) lost yet. He is youngish for a top centre half, Skrtel won't go on forever and there have been more ridiculously unbelievable scenarios than him and Sakho becoming a reliable pairing long into the future. Is it likely? I have to be brutally honest and echo what everyone else is saying and say that I still need a lot of convincing, but here's hoping anyway.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1041: Nov 28, 2015 12:41:41 am
      Lovren when he basically starts telling people to keep focussed....usually after he has had a nervy moment.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1042: Dec 01, 2015 12:49:17 pm
      he only looks bad when he has to deal with set piece or when he try's to be clever. When he just gets rid of it he's fine but when faced with one and one he's bamboozled and looks lost, but he's improved and keeps improving which is a good thing for us once Sakho is fully fit we could see a lovren sakho combo without having a heart attack. Kolo will be gone this summer and we dont know on the future of ilori so yet another new CB could be on the cards
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1043: Dec 03, 2015 05:23:50 pm
      Yet another whose form is a revelation. I still need to see him make a mistake and then not totally fall apart to be totally convinced, but the signs from the FC are encouraging. 
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,247 posts | 1226 
      Reply #1044: Dec 03, 2015 05:53:28 pm
      Yet another whose form is a revelation. I still need to see him make a mistake and then not totally fall apart to be totally convinced, but the signs from the FC are encouraging. 

I agree mate. He's definitely got the ability. It's basically a question of mentality and belief and I think Jürgen could be just the man to help him find that on a consistent basis (if not him then f*ck knows who).

Being a defender as he is I also think we have the benefit of knowing his defensive instincts will probably will get better with time.

Much of being a good defender is about timing, awareness, sensing the danger, and 'bottle', and I think it's worth keeping hold of players who show promise for that reason, whether they look future captain material or not.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,054 posts | 342 
      Reply #1045: Dec 03, 2015 06:44:51 pm
      Hasn't Skrtel's confidence come flooding back too?  I reckon that that's had a big effect on Dejan.  Always easier when you know what you're going to get (ie. 100%) from the other lad.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1046: Dec 07, 2015 12:06:39 pm
      Surprised this thread isn't busier to be honest. He was the clear MOM giving as good a centre half performance as I've seen in a red shirt all season. My hunch is if he'd made a mistake there'd be another couple of pages added onto this discussion. Shame really.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #1047: Dec 10, 2015 09:29:25 am
      Good to see Lovren had been nominated for November player of the month in the prem. Only defender in a group of 6 nominees. Hopefully small things like these build his confidence more and more!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #1048: Dec 10, 2015 12:01:22 pm
      Good to see Lovren had been nominated for November player of the month in the prem. Only defender in a group of 6 nominees. Hopefully small things like these build his confidence more and more!

Really pleased for him.

He's played well since he came in for Sahko.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1049: Dec 10, 2015 12:26:08 pm
      Surprised this thread isn't busier to be honest. He was the clear MOM giving as good a centre half performance as I've seen in a red shirt all season. My hunch is if he'd made a mistake there'd be another couple of pages added onto this discussion. Shame really.

Yep, fair do's. Most improved player along with Moreno this season.

He's put a good string of good games in now just quietly going along his business. Great to see.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #1050: Dec 10, 2015 12:38:43 pm
      He got a tremendous amount of stick for being sh*te and that's fair and now he is doing well he is getting the praise he deserves. I gave him  MOTM because he deserved it but he is still in the Red as far a credit goes for performances but he actually looks like a player now another big plus for Jürgen who seems to be able to resurrect players careers.
      Keep it up Dejan  your doing a cracking job.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1051: Dec 10, 2015 01:43:20 pm
      Bit reluctant to temp fate, but Lovren has been steady. I shall say no more...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1052: Dec 10, 2015 02:11:43 pm
      I think the nerves are all still there, the way he was f**king about with it constantly passing back to Migs in the last game and over committing and getting beaten in midfield makes me believe that it's more a case of him not exactly being highlighted.

There's been a few nearly moments for him, ducking in behind strikers when he's clearly favourite for the ball and still doing the:

When it's clearly him getting a little hot and bothered.

What I will say is while he is getting away with things and he isn't being put under the necessary pressure to bring about a mistake it has to be doing his confidence the world of good and getting nominated for these awards gives him and therefore us the best chance of keeping his errors at bay.

Honestly right now I don't think he's playing that much better than last year which I guess most people will think WTF to (judging by the comments above and the awards nominations etc) but it's just what I see. I said similar last time people were lauding him, let's hope I'm wrong this time, I know I sure hope that.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #1053: Dec 10, 2015 02:44:56 pm
      I think the nerves are all still there, the way he was f**king about with it constantly passing back to Migs in the last game and over committing and getting beaten in midfield makes me believe that it's more a case of him not exactly being highlighted.

There's been a few nearly moments for him, ducking in behind strikers when he's clearly favourite for the ball and still doing the:

When it's clearly him getting a little hot and bothered.

What I will say is while he is getting away with things and he isn't being put under the necessary pressure to bring about a mistake it has to be doing his confidence the world of good and getting nominated for these awards gives him and therefore us the best chance of keeping his errors at bay.

Honestly right now I don't think he's playing that much better than last year which I guess most people will think WTF to (judging by the comments above and the awards nominations etc) but it's just what I see. I said similar last time people were lauding him, let's hope I'm wrong this time, I know I sure hope that.

its why I see him still in the red as far as credit goes he is doing well but there is a long way to go before you don't hope for the best when you see him in certain situations. Just keep working hard and improving that's all he can do
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,054 posts | 342 
      Reply #1054: Dec 13, 2015 10:26:28 pm
      Any news on Dejan's injury?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1055: Dec 13, 2015 10:31:12 pm

Stuey said he left on crutches and awaits scan on Monday to see if any ligament or bone damage, can only keep our fingers crossed for the lad.

Didn't look good at the time.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1056: Dec 13, 2015 10:48:38 pm
      Gutted for the lad just when he looked like he turned a corner he was on the end of a brutal and horrific challenge that will go unpunished.

Could have been career ending but that is total British football I guess.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1057: Dec 13, 2015 11:21:01 pm
      Looked in some serious pain!

Quick Reply