Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 309410 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #92: Aug 11, 2014 02:50:08 pm
      Immense! Lovren looked fantastic yesterday. Strong, incisive, VOCAL. Damn, what a first run out for him.

As for the whole left foot/right foot bit: He's a professional footballer, but I guess it's so rare nowadays to see two-footed players when in reality the least you should expect of a professional is be able to use both feet. //grumble
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #93: Aug 11, 2014 11:40:46 pm
      I thought he was right footed but preferred to play left side.

Stronger foot is his right, but he's been called two-footed.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #94: Aug 11, 2014 11:44:21 pm
      Stronger foot is his right, but he's been called two-footed.

Looked that way to me mate (two-footed) when I watched him. Was well impressed how he shifted weight to either side, big bonus and something that is surprisingly rare in a professional footy player. He most certainly hit the pass into Coutinho with his left (Studge goal) and hit another Gerrardesque out to Manquillo with his left, so if his right foot is stronger than that then great!

Was really impressed with his debut though, exactly what I needed to see.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #95: Aug 11, 2014 11:52:40 pm
      Looked that way to me mate (two-footed) when I watched him. Was well impressed how he shifted weight to either side, big bonus and something that is surprisingly rare in a professional footy player. He most certainly hit the pass into Coutinho with his left (Studge goal) and hit another Gerrardesque out to Manquillo with his left, so if his right foot is stronger than that then great!

Was really impressed with his debut though, exactly what I needed to see.

As good as he was, it wasn't his football that impressed me most.  Constantly talking and cajoling the back line, I'd have accepted a slightly lesser centre back if he'd had those leadership skills, to get both is brilliant.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #96: Aug 11, 2014 11:59:38 pm
      As good as he was, it wasn't his football that impressed me most.  Constantly talking and cajoling the back line, I'd have accepted a slightly lesser centre back if he'd had those leadership skills, to get both is brilliant.

Agree totally Rodders. After listening to Carra dissect our defensive problems from last season it was obvious what we were lacking. From that point on everyone was screaming leader was needed and you could hear Lovren even watching on TV. Could also see many gestures (which some were ignored by Skrts) and like you say, that is exactly what we need going into this season.

Anything going forward is just a bonus when it comes to a CB, always will be but that's one hell of a bonus.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #97: Aug 12, 2014 05:24:29 pm
      Mighty impressed by Lovren, I was sat on row 6 of the kop for the Dortmund game and you could hear him loud and clear, gonna be a real gem in our defence this season. Looking forward to seeing much more of him.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #98: Aug 15, 2014 01:01:57 am
      I  like  his   attitude  in  the  Dortmund game 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #99: Aug 15, 2014 01:09:09 am
      Mighty impressed by Lovren, I was sat on row 6 of the kop for the Dortmund game and you could hear him loud and clear, gonna be a real gem in our defence this season. Looking forward to seeing much more of him.

It's what we lacked when Carra retired.
      I think he's going to be boss, and 10 Million less than Ferdinand cost the Mancs.
      (Latter part thrown in for the craic)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #100: Aug 15, 2014 01:19:04 am
      I haven't seen him yet.

Is Dejan mustard?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #101: Aug 15, 2014 01:28:49 am
      I haven't seen him yet.

Is Dejan mustard?

All gravy, baby.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #102: Aug 15, 2014 01:32:02 am
      I haven't seen him yet.

Is Dejan mustard?

I'll relish this continuing and hope he gets nothing but condiments all season{ing}.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #103: Aug 16, 2014 08:29:06 am
      The article in the Echo was indeed very interesting, I didn't know much about him.  Something random is that despite having been born in Bosnia (although I suppose at that time it was still Yugoslavia) he apparently grew up in Germany, so presumably now Emre Can has someone who he can speak German with in the squad.  A nice bonus.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #104: Aug 16, 2014 08:51:17 am
      When he was born it was last year of Yugoslavia, and due to the war they take a refuge in Munich. I think they returned to Croatia 6 years later.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #105: Aug 16, 2014 12:26:14 pm
      This lad looks like he is ready to step up a grade and really make a name for himself.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #106: Aug 17, 2014 11:43:39 pm
      Dejan Lovren reveals he rejected larger financial offers in order to join Liverpool

By Anthony Hay

Dejan Lovren has revealed he rejected a number of highly lucrative deals in order to seal a move to Liverpool.

Lovren, who impressed for the Reds against his former side on Sunday afternoon, sealed a £20million move to Liverpool at the end of July.

The Croatian international has revealed he received a number of lucrative offers to leave St Mary's but had his heart set on a move to Brendan Rodgers' side.

Lovren said on his move to last season's Premier League runners-up: 'I had better offers financially but from the first day I said I want to come to Liverpool.

'I want to achieve something here because I know this club is big and Brendan Rodgers is a great manager.

'There is a lot of talent here - amazing players - and last season they showed they can do something. I'm really confident in this team.'

The 25-year-old's competitive debut went to plan as Liverpool sealed a 2-1 win over the side who brought him to the Premier League in June 2013.

Lovren's new team-mates Raheem Sterling and Daniel Sturridge netted either side of Nathaniel Clyne's second-half strike.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2727302/Dejan-Lovren-reveals-rejected-larger-financial-offers-order-join-Liverpool.html

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #107: Aug 17, 2014 11:48:03 pm
      Solid debut.

His defending was sound, his distribution was good as well. Money well spent thus far.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #108: Aug 18, 2014 12:51:21 am
      Very good debut from Lovren. I especially love his ability to get up and win aerial duels when the other team looks to counter. Felt like he cut out 5-6 counters that way.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #109: Aug 18, 2014 12:53:57 am
      Strong in the air. Strong in a tackle. Distribution is always firm and positive.

Good start, may it continue.

(He does look like a leader of men)
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #110: Aug 18, 2014 12:57:31 am
      Good debut from Dejan, happy with this. Couple of nervy moments in the team's defence, but I don't think either were particularly his issue.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #111: Aug 27, 2014 03:53:16 pm
      Slower than I thought, the way Aguaro accelerated past him made it look like Lovren was running through treacle.

Not sure Skrtel is the best partner for him and would like to see Agger or even Sakho given the chance.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #112: Aug 27, 2014 04:09:01 pm
      For me he was at fault for the third goal.

He saw Moreno race high up the pitch to try block Navas by doing so Moreno left achres of space for a pass, as soon as that happened i expected Lovren to either push the defense higher to get Aguero off side or to drop deeper to allow himself a better chance to tackle Aguero, instead he did neither and was caught out flat footed.

On occasion he seemed to be rash, leaving a sh*t load of space in behind him which thankfully City didn't capitalize on.  What i will say about him though is like Sakho he is ballsy and doesn't shy out of anything, was brilliant in the air and great in getting rid of the ball when needed and pushed us forward well.

Still early days, but does look to be a leader.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #113: Aug 27, 2014 07:45:47 pm
      For me he was at fault for the third goal.

He saw Moreno race high up the pitch to try block Navas by doing so Moreno left achres of space for a pass, as soon as that happened i expected Lovren to either push the defense higher to get Aguero off side or to drop deeper to allow himself a better chance to tackle Aguero, instead he did neither and was caught out flat footed.

On occasion he seemed to be rash, leaving a sh*t load of space in behind him which thankfully City didn't capitalize on.

Don't agree to be honest mate. Lovren got done by Aguero's pace, simple as that, no matter if he was dropped off more or not he wasn't going to stop Aguero's pace.

Doesn't matter if he had tried to play the offside either because all game, and they zoomed out a few times to show our defensive line, and nearly every time Lovren was holding the line higher up to catch them offside Johnson was a good yard or so deeper so the offside trap would have been beaten.

Personally feel Migs was more at fault, he was a long way off his line and Aguero had a huge target to aim, he could have even of easily gone for the lob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TreXoxnsyu4
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #114: Aug 27, 2014 07:51:34 pm
      Sorry mate watching that again he sees Aguero early on and still doesn't do enough in my eyes.

Yeah Mignolet was at fault too, his starting position was poor and shouldn't have got beat at his near post so easily.

Quick Reply