Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305147 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #1748: Dec 29, 2017 01:16:55 pm
      Penny for Dejan's thoughts - he must be seeing the writing on the wall?
      Surely our first choice CB pairing - once both guys are fit and in form - is now Matip/VVD.
      And if that's the case, would he be willing to stay and fight for his place.
      At a guess I'd say he'd prefer regular first team football, and he'd probably get that, if he left and went to a mid/lower table club.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1749: Dec 29, 2017 01:30:42 pm
      Penny for Dejan's thoughts - he must be seeing the writing on the wall?
      Surely our first choice CB pairing - once both guys are fit and in form - is now Matip/VVD.
      And if that's the case, would he be willing to stay and fight for his place.
      At a guess I'd say he'd prefer regular first team football, and he'd probably get that, if he left and went to a mid/lower table club.

He either improve or he's out. No more BS!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1750: Dec 29, 2017 01:38:34 pm
      I think Lovren as a backup is actually a pretty good option. He has the attributes of a good CB, he's just not consistent enough, but that shouldn't be a massive issue if he's a squad option.

That said, I think he probably won't be happy with that situation and would prefer to leave. And also, he's quite well paid to be just warming the bench.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1751: Dec 29, 2017 02:55:17 pm
      He's too inconsistent to be a regular CB. Has a commanding, solid game one week and makes individual mistakes to cost us valuable points next.

Back up player once VDV joins. VDV and Matip should be the regular CB partnership. Not Lovren.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1752: Dec 29, 2017 11:47:30 pm
      Got to go now, this has been by far his worse season so far. He's reminded me of Skrtel in his final season with us, absolutely shocking. Lovren's performance against Spurs was the worst I have seen for the club since Skrtel came on and directly cost us 3 goals vs Saints.

Some players just simply aren't good enough for us, Lovren is one of them.

To think, some people had him penned as future captain...
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1753: Dec 29, 2017 11:57:01 pm
      Got to go now, this has been by far his worse season so far. He's reminded me of Skrtel in his final season with us, absolutely shocking. Lovren's performance against Spurs was the worst I have seen for the club since Skrtel came on and directly cost us 3 goals vs Saints.

Some players just simply aren't good enough for us, Lovren is one of them.

To think, some people had him penned as future captain...

More hyperbole mate.

Surely we can discuss without resorting to "worst season so far"

OK, it's your opinion, but let's be fair; it's also hyperbole.

I agree with you about the "future captain stuff" though.

Let's be honest, Lovren's biggest enemy is Lovren.
      His temperament is suspect, not his ability.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1754: Dec 30, 2017 12:07:32 am
      More hyperbole mate.

OK, it's your opinion, but let's be fair; it's also hyperbole.

I agree with you about the "future captain stuff" though.

Let's be honest, Lovren's biggest enemy is Lovren.
      His temperament is suspect, not his ability.

Funnily enough since The Spurs game he has probably been our best defender but that's the killer with Degsy just when he lulls you into a sence of security................!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1755: Dec 30, 2017 12:07:55 am

Do you disagree?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1756: Dec 30, 2017 12:12:20 am
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1757: Dec 30, 2017 12:15:42 am
      Funnily enough since The Spurs game he has probably been our best defender but that's the killer with Degsy just when he lulls you into a sence of security................!

Yeah, I'm always waiting for the F**k up, and that doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is knowing he'll try so hard to make up for his error, that it will lead to more errors.

If Klopp could calm him down a bit, Lovren would be a decent CB, maybe even a good one.

But until he sorts his head out (which I doubt he can) Lovren is going to be a bit of a liability.

Let's be fair here; he has all the tools he needs to be quality, except between the ears.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #1758: Dec 30, 2017 01:31:00 am
      He will go where he belongs now, the bench.

Decent backup but don’t want to rely on him on a regular basis.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1759: Dec 30, 2017 06:18:45 am
      Heard quite a few of the pundints saying the pairing will be/should be VVD and Dejan, calling Matip nothing but a VVD "light version" so don't be shocked if dejan is not on the bench but next to VVD as the preffered pairing whether we like it or not it is very possible.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #1760: Dec 30, 2017 09:32:43 am
      Yeah, I'm always waiting for the f**k up, and that doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is knowing he'll try so hard to make up for his error, that it will lead to more errors.

If Klopp could calm him down a bit, Lovren would be a decent CB, maybe even a good one.

But until he sorts his head out (which I doubt he can) Lovren is going to be a bit of a liability.

Let's be fair here; he has all the tools he needs to be quality, except between the ears.

He's decent, better than Skrtel, at least Lovren knows team work and pushes higher up instead of always dropping deep like Skrtel used to do all the time.

Though I'm not sure he's more than a 3rd or 4th choice center back to be honest.  With VVD, I think he will get a bit better maybe because he needs a commanding CB paired with him but I don't think he will be a starter as Klopp would prefer a Matip-VVD partnership (If Matip is fit all the time that is).
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #1761: Dec 30, 2017 11:39:55 am
      Given his best, unfortunately not up to standard for the Reds. Good luck to the lad where ever he eventually moves to next.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1762: Dec 30, 2017 11:47:23 am
      If we also sign that young lad from Basel, Lovren's position will be a bit tricky.

He's been a first team player at various clubs for years and will likely resent being confined to the bench. Moreover, he's supposedly making around £100k per week, which is quite expensive for a squad player, especially if you have younger talents yearning for more minutes.

On the other hand, how many clubs can afford to pay £100k per week to their central defenders? Not many, I'd think. And out of those, which ones need or would want Lovren? None?

So either he prefers playing regularly and is willing to take a pay cut somewhere else for that, or he becomes a somewhat "luxury" squad player.

As much as I have criticised him multiple times, and I do think he doesn't have the mentality and concentration to play at the level we expect him to, at the same time I also think that as a squad option he would be very solid. He's decent in many things and can have the odd great match here and there. As long as we don't rely on him every week, I think we should be fine. It would just be a tad expensive backup, but if we can afford it, then fine.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1763: Dec 30, 2017 12:15:13 pm
      As long as we don't rely on him every week, I think we should be fine. It would just be a tad expensive backup, but if we can afford it, then fine.

Exactly.

Manuel Akanji looks like another Lovren-type from the limited videos i have seen of him so maybe Dejan is off.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1764: Dec 30, 2017 12:28:24 pm
      Dejan thanks for your service. Good luck and all the best. Saying bye to you prematurely. Hope it’s sooner than later. Migs will be next.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #1765: Dec 30, 2017 09:08:01 pm
      Thought he played well enough today. Virgil arriving may force him to up his game.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #1766: Jan 01, 2018 10:51:42 am
      Can't say he's been consistent but I've said before that he plays better as a RCB. It also helps that he hasn't had to worry about what chicken head Moreno is up to but I don't think Matip has been that great either. I'd have to say a big shout out to Klaven. Brings the ball out well, some good defencive play and 90% of the time he finds the player he's passing to.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #1767: Jan 01, 2018 07:46:39 pm
      Decent performance today and obviously the assist was tremendous. Good for you Dejan.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #1768: Jan 01, 2018 07:56:51 pm
      Good game today, MOTM for me.

Not a bad player but makes too many mistakes.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1769: Jan 01, 2018 10:46:15 pm
      Had an excellent game alongside Klavan today. Those second balls are so F***ing hard to defend and you have to hand it to Vokes as it was a quality lay off (as was Dejan’s).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1770: Jan 01, 2018 10:47:39 pm
      Good game today for both Dejan and Klavan and made up they combined for the winner.

I love seeing all that kind of stuff.

Quick Reply