Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Divock Origi (Liverpool > AC Milan)

Read 216120 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Divock Origi Player Thread
      Reply #805: May 09, 2017 08:16:29 pm
      He's 21, give the lad a break.

Its our managers fault we're relying on a 21 year old as our ONLY out and out striker. Just like we're relying on a right footed midfielder as a left back. There we're trouble areas we knew about at the start of the season which were not take care of in Jan.
      How good was Borini when he was 21? How good was Owen when he was 21? How good was Messi when he was 21? How good was Hazard when he was 21? Usually at 21 if a player sucks they continue sucking.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #806: May 10, 2017 09:25:47 am
      He's 21, give the lad a break.

Its our managers fault we're relying on a 21 year old as our ONLY out and out striker. Just like we're relying on a right footed midfielder as a left back. There we're trouble areas we knew about at the start of the season which were not take care of in Jan.
      We are talking about elite sportsmen and if they can't adapt and improve quickly then move them on. This is the difference between bog standard players and top quality .
      If a player wants to make it and keep other players out of the team then they have to perform , otherwise the team just carries passengers and we've got enough of them already.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #807: May 10, 2017 09:50:05 am
      Origi is not showing enough improvement or natural finishing ability.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #808: May 10, 2017 10:52:31 am

His general game has been poor but you can't blame him for finishing seeing as though we have created F**k all recently.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #809: May 10, 2017 11:35:43 am
      Have any shot to goal ratio to back that up?
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #810: May 10, 2017 11:48:47 am
      Just watch him. That really is the best gauge you can use to judge a player.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #811: May 10, 2017 11:59:51 am
      Just watch him. That really is the best gauge you can use to judge a player.

So your eyes can confirm your personal bias?

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #812: May 11, 2017 04:32:22 pm

haha

im guessing you dont watch him....he doesnt even shoot much either. seems to want to touch the ball 78387 times before his next move...what ratio shall i look at for that?  :lmao:

48 prem games
      11 goals
      57 shots
      24 on target

but guess what - hes only 22 so somehow it doesnt matter  :mad:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #813: May 11, 2017 04:35:55 pm
      So your eyes can confirm your personal bias?

My eyes can confirm that he's incredibly frustrating to watch because he takes too many touches and doesn't attack balls like he should.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #814: May 11, 2017 07:01:23 pm
      Origi been playing more recently and what has happened once again, like last time he had a consistent run in the team? Firmino's form has dropped off again. 2 players that seem to be completely incapable of being in the team together IMO.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #815: Aug 28, 2017 05:39:23 pm
      haha

im guessing you dont watch him....he doesnt even shoot much either. seems to want to touch the ball 78387 times before his next move...what ratio shall i look at for that?  :lmao:

48 prem games
      11 goals
      57 shots
      24 on target

but guess what - hes only 22 so somehow it doesnt matter  :mad:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/divock-origi/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/148368/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/31

according to this its 11 in 37 as a Center Forward.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #816: Aug 29, 2017 01:51:18 am
      If he has to go anywhere and I hope he doesn't, he better not be going to one of our rivals. rumours Spuds are looking at him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #817: Aug 29, 2017 01:56:15 am
      If he has to go anywhere and I hope he doesn't, he better not be going to one of our rivals. rumours Spuds are looking at him.

Hopefully it'll be part of the Lemar deal if we can get that done.

Definitely surplus to requirements with Solanke ahead of him now.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #818: Aug 29, 2017 02:07:29 am
      Hopefully it'll be part of the Lemar deal if we can get that done.

Definitely surplus to requirements with Solanke ahead of him now.

Forgot about Solanke. Wonder what he must be thinking? He doesn't even look close to getting a run out.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #819: Aug 29, 2017 02:16:19 am
      I remember very well the day that it was announced Origi was going to the World Cup in Brazil. A surprise inclusion in Mark Wilmots' squad. Not many people in Belgium knew who he was or where he actually played. At that point the 19 year old Origi had played about 20 games and scored a handful of goals for Lille in the Ligue 1. As a winger out on the left, the position he also played in the youth teams at KRC Genk. Not as a striker. Then that moment, he comes on against Russia, as a striker, and scores the 1-0. Next thing you know we're in for him, sign him up for 10 million and he was the next big thing.

We then loaned him out back to Lille, a team that had lost their star players and all the pressure was on Origi's shoulders to carry that team. It was Wilmots who thought he could be a striker and that idea has been in Origi's head too since that season. The thing is, he had never played as a striker before. He was a winger, a good one. He had pace, skill, good dribbles and a sweet right foot. People referring to the fact that he was voted in the 'worst team of France' after that season, have to take into account the circumstances in which that happened. He was on loan at a club he was going to leave at the end of the season, he had to carry that team as a young lad and he was playing in a position that he wasn't used to playing in. The fans started getting on his back and it all went downhill very quickly. They judged him as a soon to be Liverpool player, not as a young lad in only his 2nd season at the top level.

After that he developed really well under Klopp and had a brilliant few months in our Europa League campaign. These months quickly came to and end when he suffered a horrific injury by that c**t Funes Mori in the derby. When he was finally given an extended run back in the starting eleven last season. He might have looked a bit out of place. You do have to ask yourself why though. He looked good the season before that in a fit team, with quality and fit players around him. When he came back into the starting eleven last season, we were without (correct me if I'm wrong, I might be wrong here) Mane, Coutinho and Lallana for very big parts of that run. Firmino was dead on his feet after having played pretty much every single minute. He was put in a team devoid of ideas, of creativity. Yet he still managed to score 5 or 6 consecutive games and helped us win some very important points. Surely he deserves more credit for that than just saying he looked out of place in a team that didn't look anything like the team that ended the season before and started that season?

I agree he hasn't been as good as he can be, but to me that's down to a lack of confidence. He'll never play the role as well as Firmino does, but if you put him in the current team, I guarantee you he will look a lot better again, similar to how he was playing in these months two seasons ago. At this moment, I prefer Solanke over Origi, but that's because Solanke is a natural striker. He has the instincts of a striker, the movement of a striker, clinical in front of goal, strong in the air and he uses his body well.

These are all things Origi didn't really learn when he was playing as a winger when he was younger and it's something that's very hard to master when you're older. The fact that he takes too many touches, runs too much with the ball etc., it's all because he was a winger and in my opinion, that's still his best position. He has pace, skill, flair, a good dribble and a sweet right foot to cut in on. He has scored a few beauties for us already playing there.

These are some of his highlights and goals when he played for Lille:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM55i3Ye60M

He played both as a right and left winger. That's what he is and that's what he does best. He did for Lille then what Mane and Salah do for us now, which is why I think he'd be a good stand in for Mane. He's a quality player and if he has to be loaned out to regain some of his confidence, maybe it's for the best, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017 02:30:28 am by Danzel »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #820: Aug 29, 2017 02:29:16 am
      I remember very well the day that it was announced Origi was going to the World Cup in Brazil. A surprise inclusion in Mark Wilmots' squad. Not many people in Belgium knew who he was or where he actually played. At that point the 19 year old Origi had played about 20 games and scored a handful of goals for Lille in the Ligue 1. As a winger out on the left, the position he also played in the youth teams at KRC Genk. Not as a striker. Then that moment, he comes on against Russia, as a striker, and scores the 1-0. Next thing you know we're in for him, sign him up for 10 million and he was the next big thing.

We then loaned him out back to Lille, a team that had lost their star players and all the pressure was on Origi's shoulders to carry that team. It was Wilmots who thought he could be a striker and that idea has been in Origi's head too since that season. The thing is, he had never played as a striker before. He was a winger, a good one. He had pace, skill, good dribbles and a sweet right foot. People referring to the fact that he was voted in the 'worst team of France' after that season, have to take into account the circumstances in which that happened. He was on loan at a club he was going to leave at the end of the season, he had to carry that team as a young lad and he was playing in a position that he wasn't used to playing in. The fans started getting on his back and it all went downhill very quickly. They judged him as a soon to be Liverpool player, not as a young lad in only his 2nd season at the top level.

After that he, in my opinion, developed really well under Klopp and had a brilliant few months in our Europa League campaign. These months quickly came to and end when he suffered a horrific injury by that c**t Funes Mori in the derby. When he was finally given an extended run back in the starting eleven last season, yes, he might have looked a bit out of place. You do have to ask yourself why though. He looked good the season before that in a fit team, with quality and fit players around him. When he came back into the starting eleven last season, we were without (correct me if I'm wrong, I might be wrong here) Mane, Coutinho and Lallana for very big parts of that run. Firmino was dead on his feet after having played pretty much every single minute. He was put in a team devoid of ideas, of creativity. Yet he still managed to score 5 or 6 consecutive games and helped us win some very important points. Surely he deserves more credit for that than just saying he looked out of place in a team that didn't look anything like the team that ended the season before and started that season?

I agree he hasn't been as good as he can be, but to me that's down to a lack of confidence. He'll never play the role as well as Firmino does, but if you put him in the current team, I guarantee you he will look a lot better again, similar to how he was playing in these months two seasons ago.

At this moment, I prefer Solanke over Origi, but that's because Solanke is a natural striker. He has the instincts of a striker, the movement of a striker, clinical in front of goal, strong in the air and he uses his body well. These are all things Origi didn't really learn when he was playing as a winger when he was younger and it's something that's very hard to master when you're older. The fact that he takes too many touches, runs too much with the ball etc., it's all because he was a winger and in my opinion, that's still his best position. We should all forget about him being a striker, he's not. You can see him thinking when he's playing, which runs he has to make to make space, it's because it's not natural for him to do so. I think he'd do well as a stand in for Mane on that left wing. He has pace, skill, flair, a good dribble and a sweet right foot to cut in on. He has scored a few beauties for us already playing there.

Another Danzel classic it seems.

Must say mate the first part of this I had no clue about but, now that you've explained it clearly, it makes perfect sense. I've said many times that I much prefer him out on the left, the way he uses himself, the arc on his shots from out there, it suits him and I called for him to be played there and keep Bobby in the middle many times last season.

The question that begs is why wasn't he, does Jürgen see him as a striker or is it Origi suggesting he only wants to develop as a striker. I can't believe that Origi would ever try to force that upon anyone (he's far too nice) and that Jürgen would let anyone dictate it to him. So that leads me to conclude that Jürgen sees him as a striker too, either that or simply not good enough in a wide position to be risked there (defensive duties, I'm thinking here more than offensive).

My opinion of the lad has gone very much like a slow burn from completely raw and having some real potential to useless, up to decent and back down to useless again. That, however, has been purely as a striker and nothing else, wide left I agree he has much more of a future but ultimately I don't think that future is here. I'd wish him well, as I do think he'll leave soon enough, either this window or next would be my guess, because I really like the lad but a few words of advice for him if he ever would care to scan these pages.

Get nasty, use the frame that god gave you because you can absolutely bully anybody with that physique and once again, get nasty! He allows himself to get bullied and almost thanks the defender for it for the first half of a game, then apologies for the first 15 minutes of the second half and finally gets the message that they're taking the piss late into the game. He needs to walk on the pitch and know he's against his enemy not a fellow professional, target the man and drive past him with anger in his veins because he has the tools to be a force but quite simply doesn't have the nous to use it.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #821: Aug 29, 2017 02:43:26 am
      Another Danzel classic it seems.

Must say mate the first part of this I had no clue about but, now that you've explained it clearly, it makes perfect sense. I've said many times that I much prefer him out on the left, the way he uses himself, the arc on his shots from out there, it suits him and I called for him to be played there and keep Bobby in the middle many times last season.

The question that begs is why wasn't he, does Jürgen see him as a striker or is it Origi suggesting he only wants to develop as a striker. I can't believe that Origi would ever try to force that upon anyone (he's far too nice) and that Jürgen would let anyone dictate it to him. So that leads me to conclude that Jürgen sees him as a striker too, either that or simply not good enough in a wide position to be risked there (defensive duties, I'm thinking here more than offensive).

My opinion of the lad has gone very much like a slow burn from completely raw and having some real potential to useless, up to decent and back down to useless again. That, however, has been purely as a striker and nothing else, wide left I agree he has much more of a future but ultimately I don't think that future is here. I'd wish him well, as I do think he'll leave soon enough, either this window or next would be my guess, because I really like the lad but a few words of advice for him if he ever would care to scan these pages.

Get nasty, use the frame that god gave you because you can absolutely bully anybody with that physique and once again, get nasty! He allows himself to get bullied and almost thanks the defender for it for the first half of a game, then apologies for the first 15 minutes of the second half and finally gets the message that they're taking the piss late into the game. He needs to walk on the pitch and know he's against his enemy not a fellow professional, target the man and drive past him with anger in his veins because he has the tools to be a force but quite simply doesn't have the nous to use it.

He actually suggested / forced his coach at Lille to play him as a striker that season because he didn't want to play as a winger anymore after the World Cup, being convinced by Wilmots he could be a top striker. It's also one of the reasons the fans started to turn on him in the second half of the season. He wanted to be the main man, but pretty much failed to deliver.

I do get why Klopp sees him as a striker too though, he has all the raw attributes to be one, but he just doesn't know how to use them because he never learned how to. As you say, he has a big frame, yet has no clue how to use it and allows himself to be bullied by big defenders. I do too fear that his future won't be here and maybe it is for the best. He needs to play and I hope he either follows your advice and gets nasty, or just accepts that he's better as a winger, running at people, than he is as a striker. Just think Zaha, what he does for Palace, that's what Origi can do too. They're actually very similar players.

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017 02:56:36 am by Danzel »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #822: Aug 30, 2017 02:24:47 pm
      Hope the lad gets a good loan move. Huge player waiting to come out in this fella. Newcastle and Rafa be ideal
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #823: Aug 30, 2017 06:24:21 pm
      Hope the lad gets a good loan move. Huge player waiting to come out in this fella. Newcastle and Rafa be ideal

Apparently its Wolfsburg. I hope it works for him as well. At his age he needs to play regularly and it is pretty certain it wasn't going to happen here. He was justly down in the pecking order just now, but I can't agree with those who've said he's awful or pish or whatever. He's scored some excellent goals for and his size and pace are a scary combination. He needs to be more consistent for sure, like a lot of young players. I think his football intelligence still needs some tuning, but he's far from a washout. Best wishes in Germany, Divock.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #824: Aug 30, 2017 06:45:34 pm
      Apparently its Wolfsburg. I hope it works for him as well. At his age he needs to play regularly and it is pretty certain it wasn't going to happen here. He was justly down in the pecking order just now, but I can't agree with those who've said he's awful or pish or whatever. He's scored some excellent goals for and his size and pace are a scary combination. He needs to be more consistent for sure, like a lot of young players. I think his football intelligence still needs some tuning, but he's far from a washout. Best wishes in Germany, Divock.
      I would loan him to a mid table premiership team to take points away from rivals.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #825: Aug 31, 2017 03:02:17 pm
      https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/903256103475179520

I'm not too bothered about this to be honest.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #826: Aug 31, 2017 03:05:03 pm
      Liverpool FC can confirm that Divock Origi has completed a season-long loan move to Wolfsburg.

The Belgium international striker will spend the 2017-18 campaign with the Bundesliga outfit after a temporary switch was agreed between the clubs on transfer deadline day.

Origi made one appearance for the Reds this term, as a substitute in the opening-day meeting with Watford.

The 22-year-old, who signed for Liverpool from Lille in 2014 before spending a further year on loan with the French club, has scored 21 goals in 77 appearances for the Reds.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/273901-divock-origi-joins-wolfsburg-on-season-long-loan
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #827: Aug 31, 2017 03:05:46 pm

Agreed. In fact, being completely honest, I'm a little pleased because it became frustrating seeing him come on instead of either Sturridge or Solanke.

Hopefully he progresses well and comes back to us as a fantastic player.

Best of luck Divock!

Quick Reply