Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will we have a happy Tuesday?

Yes, Liverpool win.
      48 (87.3%)
      No, Utd win.
      7 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Liverpool 1:3 Manchester United: International Cup Final thread.

Read 20548 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool v Manchester United: International Cup Final Tuesday 1:00 BST
      Reply #506: Aug 05, 2014 06:56:55 am
      Hate losing to the mancs.

We need another striker, I think that was clear last night, Rickie just isn't good enough to be starting on his own up front.

I think Coutinho and Sterling are going to be great for us this season, but even with Sturridge I think we still need someone else who can put the ball in the net. 

Henderson, Gerrard (first half), Sterling, Coutinho, possibly Sakho did well.

Mignolet did nothing to ease my worries about him. Lambert was poor, Johnson and Kelly showed us just why we are buying fullbacks and Allen drifted in and out as he usually does.

F***ing hate losing to the mancs and especially to that cheating swine Rooney.... I really thought the ref was going to give a goal!

Thought we won the first half easily, but the longer the game went on the more you could see the mancs would win it. 
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,315 posts | 1672 
      Reply #507: Aug 05, 2014 07:13:24 am
      so worrying how Johnson continues to get picked as if he wont Drop him . Why ?? Is it shop window tactics or can he not see how sh*te and lazy he is
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #508: Aug 05, 2014 07:30:25 am
      Fell asleep.

Take it we lost then judging by the few posts I've flicked past?

Bloody hell do these people not realise its only pre season. :f_tongueincheek:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #509: Aug 05, 2014 07:40:23 am
      We lose and that is a big dissapointment because we are Liverpool and we should win every game (not always possible) BUT we need to put this in a perspective. We were without Sturridge, Lallana (don't know how he will play with us), Markovic, Flanagan, Lovren, and I may add Manquillo.

We are still forming our team.

Sakho, Sterling and Coutinho are BIG player for us this season.
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Re: Liverpool 1:3 Manchester United: International Cup Final thread.
      Reply #510: Aug 05, 2014 07:41:49 am
      What happened? I left the game at half time. Completely in control.

Did we use the 2nd half as a fitness practice??
      LFCexiled
      Reply #511: Aug 05, 2014 08:08:29 am
      Stop complaining. Adrenaline gets you through the day if we win.

Ugh.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #512: Aug 05, 2014 08:10:51 am
      OK so we let the bas**rds beat us, that's playschool over for the summer. It will soon be back to the real world of EPL,we will see how good Manure are then. I am pleased to see Coutinho is to be offered an extended contract and well deserved too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #513: Aug 05, 2014 08:38:45 am
      BBC reporting about ManUre winning a meaningless friendly trophy. FFS it's a friendly  will the media love in for the Scums ever stop!
      I suppose they will be made favourites for the league now!!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #514: Aug 05, 2014 08:56:56 am
      BBC reporting about ManUre winning a meaningless friendly trophy. FFS it's a friendly  will the media love in for the Scums ever stop!
      I suppose they will be made favourites for the league now!!
      I know, "Van Gaal wins his first piece of silverware with Man U". It would have received a fleeting mention if it was us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #515: Aug 05, 2014 09:11:49 am
      Yet to see the game but am I right in saying it was another cock up by the defence, notably Skrtel?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #516: Aug 05, 2014 09:13:38 am
      Didn't see the game - only the local bar were showing it and we're on way already to a water park.....so I only have two observations.

1) What I've seen in pre-season has mostly encouraged me.

2) I hate losing to them........ever.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #517: Aug 05, 2014 09:22:15 am
      Feared the worst with Lambert having the role of our only striker on the night, irrespective of who the opposition are, the fact is soon discovered and taken advantage of.
      Johnson is an acknowledged Achilles heel.
      Any tactician who cannot work a win out of that proposition is in the wrong job.
      Last season's hauntings are still with us. 
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #518: Aug 05, 2014 09:35:53 am
      In a weird twisted way, a defeat to this lot can be a good thing.

Gives BR a good case for more additions (STRIKER)

I love Lambert, and I’m not for a second going to start slating him, or anybody else, from the aftermath of a friendly….  We do need a stronger presence upfront though even with Sturridge.  Dan has a terrible injury record and I have zero faith in breaking down teams like Luis use to with Lambert and Borini.

Johnson though……  My word he is stealing a living.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #519: Aug 05, 2014 10:00:02 am
      Just watched the game, my thoughts are:

- it s a huge change-up having the statuesque Lambert on the pitch instead of Sturridge. I don't know what goes on on the training ground but I hope Brendan is working with players to get the best out of him because clearly some adjustments have to be made when it's Lambert and not Danny.

- we look pretty sharp from a fitness perspective and we pressed the ball really well first half.

- we had two excellent opportunities, one for Raheem and one for Coutinho to go 2 up, these two will both have to step up in terms of goals return this season if we're to approach the heady heights of last season.

- Martin Kelly is a centre-half playing at full back, despite an extended pre-season he seems to have lost agility and pace since his injury and I truly hope he does not play full back during the season. Ditto for Johnson.

- Ibe has to stay At the club this season, he has looked bright in every pre-season game thus far and will be n excellent option off of the bench this season.

- if the money is available we need another striker, just go out and get the best available because let's face it, Sturridge will miss games through injury, he has every year since he become a pro.

- last of all, Skrtel and Sakho continued their impressive record of one clean sheet in 17-18 games or whatever it is. Looking forward to seeing Lovren in the side next weekend.

All in all it's been a good tour, the extra game will prove useful and I think we will be ready and raring to go for Saints on the 17th. Clearly we still need a couple of players it hopefully these will come in soon.
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2014 10:16:41 am by Scottbot »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #520: Aug 05, 2014 10:03:15 am
      Almost as worrying as some sections of our pre season games has been the hyperbole and over-reaction of some of the people on the forum. It's supposed to be enjoyable to come on here lads, some of you need to get a bit of a grip, some perspective wouldn't go amiss either.

A few thoughts on last night (just watched it this morning):

Sakho was excellent I thought, and until the Rooney goal I thought Skrtel was very good too. Even for the Rooney goal he was entitled to expect Kelly to be in behind him should he lose his man (which of course he did and Kelly wasn't), and it still required a very good finish.

Mignolet wasn't at fault for any of the goals, those saying he should have come for the Rooney cross are either on a wind up or don't understand the game of association football very well. I actually thought he showed more confidence in driving the defence out on occasions and was more prepared to play as the 11th outfield player. Unfortunately a combination of good Manc pressing and a lack of our midfielders taking responsibility meant his outball was too often a clip to a pressured Kelly.

Kelly fairly obviously isn't good enough for this level although he does appear to be a nice fella, a trier etc etc. Johnson is capable of moments of sublime quality but unfortunately they appear only fleetingly these days, whereas his lack of defensive acumen is becoming a bit of a theme. If there are offers, we should take them and run.

Unfortunately despite it being the most stone wall penalty in the history of stone wall penalties, the Mancs managed to convince the ref that he had treated them harshly by surrounding him, after that he gave them everything and us nothing.

Allen, Gerrard and Henderson didn't really work, not for me anyway. Both Allen and Henderson were reluctant to take the ball in tight areas, and in particular the ex-Sunderland man continues (from this angle anyway) to flatter to deceive. He could and probably will become a top class player, I just wish he'd get on with it. In the case of Allen, he is a good squad member but I think we are all going to have to accept that he isn't ever going to massively influence games at the very top level.

Coutinho and Sterling were both tip top quality, and had they had a Suarez to play around they'd have ripped the Mancs up for @rse paper. That snap shot from Coutinho was a fine effort, and if he can begin to reproduce that kind of shooting on a regular basis he will become a massive player for us.

I thought Ricky Lambert had his best game for us. Those judging him/writing him off are just being a bit silly really, that's the only way I can make sense of it. We're asking a guy to play up top on his own against a fast and mobile team, simply because we haven't got anyone else. Even when he was a young player he wasn't cut out for this role, and he certainly isn't now. Had we had Peter Crouch, Andy Carroll or anybody similar up front on his own, the result would have been exactly the same (probably worse in the case of Carroll). Lambert did OK, but it's worth remembering that we haven't bought him to play up top on his own, unless we are dropping back and hitting teams on the break and need a hold up. He'll be alright, as long as some people who support Liverpool don't make it difficult for him so his confidence goes.

After a nice touch for Sterling to score against Man City, the sight of Lucas floundering in Ashley Youngs wake (along with Johnson to be fair) made it clear why he really isn't a viable alternative, to anybody.

The Mancs are a better team under Van Gaal than they were under Moyes (surprise surprise). With signings and no European football, they will IMHO be right in the mix for a top four slot and may even challenge (a bit like us really).

We desperately need a striker. Not a Jordan Rhodes type, or an up and comer, but a really Bony-fide (see what I did there) striker. Bony, Ballotelli or someone of that ilk is desperately needed. Like many have said, it really would be handy if Moreno and Manquillo are quite good too. Very handy indeed.

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2014 10:24:17 am by bigmick »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #521: Aug 05, 2014 10:25:17 am
      We desperately need a striker. Not a Jordan Rhodes type, or an up and comer, but a really Bony-fide (see what I did there) striker. Bony, Ballotelli or someone of that ilk is desperately needed. Like many have said, it really would be handy if Moreno and Manquillo are quite good too. Very handy indeed.

Sorry to cut off what is an excellent and reasoned post Mick but this is the key for me in the coming weeks.

If there is one player we need it's a striker and I even think we need two as I thought we needed another even when Luis was still here.

Going into the coming season with Sturridge, Lambert and possibly Borini would be madness.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #522: Aug 05, 2014 10:26:42 am

I thought Ricky Lambert had his best game for us. Those judging him/writing him off are just being a bit silly really, that's the only way I can make sense of it. We're asking a guy to play up top on his own against a fast and mobile team, simply because we haven't got anyone else. Even when he was a young player he wasn't cut out for this role, and he certainly isn't now. Had we had Peter Crouch, Andy Carroll or anybody similar up front on his own, the result would have been exactly the same (probably worse in the case of Carroll). Lambert did OK, but it's worth remembering that we haven't bought him to play up top on his own, unless we are dropping back and hitting teams on the break and need a hold up. He'll be alright, as long as some people who support Liverpool don't make it difficult for him so his confidence goes.

I think Rickie will do fine and i take some confidence from the fact that Saints played a very fluid and attacking system and he was very much an integral part of that. Ido think our lads will need to make some adaptations though because for the last 2 seasons they have been used to the perpetual motion motion of Sturridge and Suarez.

As for him playing on his own up there, I can't really envisage us starting with 2 up top all that often this season, not like last year so I disagree mate, I think that should he start a game, more often than not it will be in the 9 role as lone striker
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #523: Aug 05, 2014 10:37:01 am
      Just watched the game. Dire.

Hope it was the formation or the lack of options up front (Markovich, Studge, Lallana) but Lambert looked lost, and the one half chance he had, was a poor effort.

If ever there was a game to show you that we are crying rivers for 2 fullbacks (Kelly and Johnson were horrendous) and 2 strikers (not one) that was it. munts had 3 shots on target all game

It looked aimless, clueless, and disjointed for 90% of the game in parts

EDIT: They only had Van Persie missing, but I guess we did have Studge, Lallana, Markovich, and possibly 2 or 3 other signings to come in so all in all I guess I can't be too harsh. But screw me I hate to lose against those sub species
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2014 10:52:56 am by Rush »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #524: Aug 05, 2014 10:42:37 am
      Sorry to cut off what is an excellent and reasoned post Mick but this is the key for me in the coming weeks.

If there is one player we need it's a striker and I even think we need two as I thought we needed another even when Luis was still here.

Going into the coming season with Sturridge, Lambert and possibly Borini would be madness.
      Makes me question why we let Origi go out on loan. Was it absolute necessary in order to complete the deal because, if not, I reckon we made a mistake.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #525: Aug 05, 2014 10:43:03 am

That it would Si, for a side wanting to compete in the league and CL, let alone domestic cups it would be a very poor summer if we went in with those. We maybe only need 3 strikers if we play one main man through the middle but the quality leaves a bit to the imagination

In terms of the match, it's difficult to judge either side in a match they play at 40% maximum, with many players missing, on a dog of a pitch with a third full crowd (embarrassing really)

Performance wise and pre season in general though..

Raheem and Cou look to be at a higher level than 12 months ago

Sakho looked last night that he is settling now and will be the dominant force we expected when we signed him.. I think him and Lovren will make a cracking pair this season

We need better options at Full back, Flanno and Enrique can be good options, MartinKelly who I have a lot of time for needs a move to where he can play 40 games and develop. Glen, I have always liked unlike most but I think the way we play now and the injuries he has had over the years don't match now, he gets caught out up field a lot, positionally he doesn't have the recovery he has always relied on to make up for being able to be out of it at times and get back in.. He looks 5% off in his mind as well, probably aware that he isn't the athlete he once was.

I've been very impressed with Hendo and Can this pre season.

Ibe needs to stay and be an option late on in games, there is a real player there, I don't want us to sign any more wide options as I don't want us to stop his development.

Utd got lucky last night, we were in control of it until Rooney scored, we were playing well within ourselves in doing so and with having played only 48 hours or so before once they got the scraggy second we didn't really break sweat to get back in it, making lots of subs and resting legs. Never nice to lose to them but I wouldn't read much into it, had that deflected second not happened I'd have expected us to still show a level of control.

It's been a positive tour all in all.. But we need at least two more signings.. And quality ones at that.. Left full and main striker
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #526: Aug 05, 2014 10:44:47 am
      Makes me question why we let Origi go out on loan. Was it absolute necessary in order to complete the deal

I'd guess it was.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #527: Aug 05, 2014 10:49:31 am
      Just watched the game. Dire.

Hope it was the formation or the lack of options up front (Markovich, Studge, Lallana) but Lambert looked lost, and the one half chance he had, was a poor effort.

If ever there was a game to show you that we are crying rivers for 2 fullbacks (Kelly and Johnson were horrendous) and 2 strikers (not one) that was it. munts had 3 shots on target all game

It looked aimless, clueless, and disjointed for 90% of the game

Pretty damning assessment there mate, I though we played quite well first half and we had a few decent chances to extend the lead, had we taken one of those I dare say the posting would be a bit more positive from most in this thread.

I think we can all see where we are short, we need two full backs and a quality striking option, thankfully Brendan seems to be perfectly aware of this. All in allots been a pretty decent tour I think, it s not been amazing but there have been some decent performances, a few players have really caught the eye (Can, Ibe, Coutinho, Hendeson spring to mind) and a couple of forgotten faces (Coates and Suso) have also looked they could belong this season. We also look a lot fitter which is the number one priority.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #528: Aug 05, 2014 10:55:04 am
      I'm very disappointed by Allen again, he could have been plying behind Mignolet I would not have seen any difference. He's useless. Terrible.

Johnson should be on the bench and never at LB again. Kelly is not ood at RB, we should give him his chance at CB and sell Toure IMO.

Coutinho and Sterling showed so much maturity yesterday, they had completely mastered their roles in the team, it's a shame we did not have a great striker upfront. Lambert was average at best but he was too isolated upfront. Hendo was superb and I guess he'll be one of the best CM of the EPL next season. We need another good striker now, otherwise all we have built up since 2 years will bear no fruits this season.

In brief, no more Allen and Johnson in this team please!
      I just hope we don't sell Lucas to keep Allen: we'll regret it.
      We need the 2 FB we're linked to, a striker and if possible, a good DM to replace Allen(but I doubt BR would sell Allen)

Quick Reply