Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Edinson Cavani (PSG)

Read 16542 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: Edinson Cavani (PSG)
      Reply #161: Aug 13, 2014 05:50:25 pm
      What I dont get is why wern't we asking these questions a long time ago? Why have we waited till the start of the season to realise we need another striker?! Something is seriously wrong there - not saying whether its FSG, BR or the committee, but something is wrong with our system.

We obviously started this a while ago, probably when Remy failed his medical. We know Falcao was nearly 2 weeks ago for example.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #162: Aug 13, 2014 06:11:07 pm
      its a difficult question but is the team stronger now than last season and without the obvious genius of Suarez the answer has to be yes.
      I would love another good striker but for the life of me I don't have a name which really stands out.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #163: Aug 13, 2014 06:37:42 pm
      its a difficult question but is the team stronger now than last season and without the obvious genius of Suarez the answer has to be yes.
      I would love another good striker but for the life of me I don't have a name which really stands out.

I'd take a look at Huntelaar or even Chicharito...Mancs wouldn't want to sell him to us but it would be worth it just to rile them up.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,189 posts | 165 
      Reply #164: Aug 13, 2014 07:09:10 pm
      He would come here for 40m I guess. He wants to leave PSG because Ligue 1 is very poor and PSG wants but cannot invest anymore.
      He would be a very good option to have and he has experience at the highest level. This kind of players will be invaluable in the CL. I'm not desperate for him to come here but make it happen BR! :scarf:
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #165: Aug 13, 2014 07:11:02 pm
      He would come here for 40m I guess. He wants to leave PSG because Ligue 1 is very poor and PSG wants but cannot invest anymore.
      He would be a very good option to have and he has experience at the highest level. This kind of players will be invaluable in the CL. I'm not desperate for him to come here but make it happen BR! :scarf:

Except for the fact of course that Ben Smith is reporting we inquired with PSG and they said no chance of it happening; so how Brendan is going to make that happen I haven't a clue.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #166: Aug 13, 2014 07:15:35 pm
      We obviously can't sign Cavani, not because we won't pay the wages but because he took the piss out of our club and said Suarez deserves much better than us or some such sh*t...
      Bad boys who I might personally dislike is a different thing, if the manager wants them it's down to him.
      Someone (maybe naively) who says we aren't good enough for Suarez or whatever he meant, is not welcome.
      The end.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #167: Aug 13, 2014 07:17:08 pm
      Except for the fact of course that Ben Smith is reporting we inquired with PSG and they said no chance of it happening; so how Brendan is going to make that happen I haven't a clue.

I'm sure when clubs come enquiring for Philipe Coutinho, we would say "no chance" to selling him, however money talks more than an email asking if he was "available". If Real Madrid put £50 million would we say "no chance" then?

No top club would even say one of their best players is available unless they were desperate to sell. It's usually up to the buying club to convince the selling club.

What I'm trying to say is: Money is more powerful than an email.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should offer ridiculous amounts of money for Cavani.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2014 07:28:58 pm by lfc_ynwa »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #168: Aug 13, 2014 07:19:30 pm
      We obviously can't sign Cavani, not because we won't pay the wages but because he took the piss out of our club and said Suarez deserves much better than us or some such sh*t...
      Bad boys who I might personally dislike is a different thing, if the manager wants them it's down to him.
      Someone (maybe naively) who says we aren't good enough for Suarez or whatever he meant, is not welcome.
      The end.

I'd be a bit wary about reporters translating things someone allegedly said, or about parts being taken out of context.
      We know that quite a few things that Suarez has said over the last couple of years have been taken out of context, and made to look as though they mean something else.

I'm not saying he did or didn't say it, I just think the majority of the british press delight in stirring the sh*t.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #169: Aug 13, 2014 07:20:35 pm

Clubs do say that. Sevilla insisted they don't have to sell and they are pretty well settled financially after Rakitic's sale. But despite reports of 20mil plus fee, they have accepted a 12mil fee (plus add-ons obviously)

PSG value Cavani at 50 cos they have been quoted 50 for Di Maria by Real. If some middle ground can be achieved, they will do that definitely. Cos Di Maria might be a more 'contributing' player than Cavani in the wings
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #170: Aug 13, 2014 07:23:38 pm
      I'd be a bit wary about reporters translating things someone allegedly said, or about parts being taken out of context.
      We know that quite a few things that Suarez has said over the last couple of years have been taken out of context, and made to look as though they mean something else.

I'm not saying he did or didn't say it, I just think the majority of the british press delight in stirring the sh*t.

Yes, you're right, I didn't research it before posting.
      too true
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #171: Aug 13, 2014 07:28:35 pm
      Yes, you're right, I didn't research it before posting.
      too true
      Edinson Cavani -

"All he wanted was to be at a team which matched his ambition, where he could play Champions League Football, and where he can compete for major trophies.

"Now Liverpool are in that place he is happy to stay."

This was probably after the first time he mentioned Liverpool and Suarez.
      I may have overreacted, it won't be the first or last time I have... sooo I retract my verdict. ;D
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #172: Aug 13, 2014 07:51:14 pm
      Id take him in a heartbeat.. can play all 3 positions across the front, hard worker and lethal finisher.

If studge tore ligaments and was out for 6 weeks do not fancy lambert/borini/(eto?) either in pl or away to a munich. too much of a gap in quality between ds to next striker
      AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #173: Aug 13, 2014 07:57:55 pm
      The end.
      Who's to say that Luis wasn't saying stuff that wasn't true and Cavani was going by what Luis was telling him? Luis wanted out to Arsenal when Cavani said the things he did. We all act like Luis was a saint when he clearly wanted out then and now. I'm just saying maybe we don't know the whole story. I think Cavani is a great player but I'm not sure he's what the Club needs. If he comes here he's 1st on the team sheet and Danny will find a nice place to relax on the bench. I don't see BR wanting to play 4-4-2 Diamond as much as he would rather play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. No way would we pay £40+ to PSG and Cavani sits. Cavani is not for us.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #174: Aug 13, 2014 08:28:28 pm
      I'd take a look at Huntelaar or even Chicharito...Mancs wouldn't want to sell him to us but it would be worth it just to rile them up.

Genuinely, that's actually not a bad suggestion. IMO he would fit into our quick play style very easily.

Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #175: Aug 13, 2014 08:30:07 pm

I've been banging the Huntelaar drum since he was at Ajax, mate!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #176: Aug 13, 2014 08:32:19 pm

I've been banging the Huntelaar drum since he was at Ajax, mate!

Sounds like you are going to have to keep banging it...may want to trade out drums ;D
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #177: Aug 13, 2014 09:02:42 pm
      Sounds like you are going to have to keep banging it...may want to trade out drums ;D

I even used to make up my own Huntelaar chants for when he scored on Fifa :D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,563 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #178: Aug 13, 2014 09:37:22 pm
      I'm sure when clubs come enquiring for Philipe Coutinho, we would say "no chance" to selling him, however money talks more than an email asking if he was "available". If Real Madrid put £50 million would we say "no chance" then?

No top club would even say one of their best players is available unless they were desperate to sell. It's usually up to the buying club to convince the selling club.

What I'm trying to say is: Money is more powerful than an email.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should offer ridiculous amounts of money for Cavani.

Yep, a suitcase full of money can change peoples minds.

But any team that sells a top player (even for big money) still needs to replace him. And with the window closing, teams will be less likely to sell as time to replace is getting short. Kinda like the position we are in ...
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #179: Aug 13, 2014 11:18:25 pm
      Yep, a suitcase full of money can change peoples minds.

But any team that sells a top player (even for big money) still needs to replace him. And with the window closing, teams will be less likely to sell as time to replace is getting short. Kinda like the position we are in ...

Yeah, but PSG seemingly want Di Maria who would play RW. That could mean an exit for Cavani....
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #180: Aug 15, 2014 12:42:54 am
      I just cant see him in a Liverpool top.  I think he would help us win. But I dont know. Cant deny his ability, but I think he would is the perfect stereotype of a "Footballer" diva. He seems like a Rockstar player who plays for himself and just wouldnt do what Rodgers tells him. Suarez had his own issues and it reflected poorly, but he gave his all playing for Liverpool and the man cried on the pitch after the Palace match because he felt he let his club, supporters and especially his captain, Gerrard down. He pulled up his shirt to cover his face because he was sobbing. Honestly, I cant see Cavani or Falcao doing that.
      mcmulled
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 13 
      Reply #181: Aug 15, 2014 01:26:12 pm
      He seems like a Rockstar player who plays for himself and just wouldnt do what Rodgers tells him

I cant see Cavani or Falcao doing that.

Is this 100% based on them having long hair?! 'Rockstar' Style

Absolutely no substance to these claims that I can see otherwise, especially Cavani, who seems to work hard for the team and often plays out of position.

Would love either of them here

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #182: Aug 15, 2014 05:46:30 pm
      He seems like a Rockstar player who plays for himself and just wouldnt do what Rodgers tells him. Suarez had his own issues and it reflected poorly, but he gave his all playing for Liverpool and the man cried on the pitch after the Palace match because he felt he let his club, supporters and especially his captain, Gerrard down. He pulled up his shirt to cover his face because he was sobbing. Honestly, I cant see Cavani or Falcao doing that.

Incredibly weak argument that mate.

For himself? Have you seen how he plays for Uruguay and PSG? He spends most the game looking to set up Suarez or Ibrahimovic for a goal rather than score himself. The goal he set up for Suarez against Ingerland was a cracking assist!

Never mind Cavani or Falcao not doing it, there are very few players around that would do it. Did you see any of our other players reacting like that? Does that mean they are all about themselves because they didn't cry and pull their tops over their heads?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #183: Aug 15, 2014 05:51:42 pm
      I just cant see him in a Liverpool top.  I think he would help us win. But I dont know. Cant deny his ability, but I think he would is the perfect stereotype of a "Footballer" diva. He seems like a Rockstar player who plays for himself and just wouldnt do what Rodgers tells him. Suarez had his own issues and it reflected poorly, but he gave his all playing for Liverpool and the man cried on the pitch after the Palace match because he felt he let his club, supporters and especially his captain, Gerrard down. He pulled up his shirt to cover his face because he was sobbing. Honestly, I cant see Cavani or Falcao doing that.
      He was crying since he knew he was going in the summer and he would never get the chance to win the premier league again.   

Quick Reply