Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Edinson Cavani (PSG)

Read 16760 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Edinson Cavani (PSG)
      Reply #23: Aug 07, 2014 06:20:14 pm
      Probably around £20-25 mil.
      So you want to pick up a 'overrated player' for £30-35M less than his current club paid for him 12 months ago, when he scored at 1 goal in 2 game ratio?

Good luck with that!!!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #24: Aug 07, 2014 06:25:17 pm
      Probably around £20-25 mil.

In an era where David Luiz goes for 50m? Get in the real world lad...
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #25: Aug 07, 2014 06:29:25 pm
      So you want to pick up a 'overrated player' for £30-35M less than his current club paid for him 12 months ago, when he scored at 1 goal in 2 game ratio?

Good luck with that!!!
      Well that's largely the reason why I don't think he should be our number one target and why I think he is very overrated.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #26: Aug 07, 2014 06:29:36 pm
      Cavani is out of place because Ibra is there. Look at his Napoli days and see how great he was.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #27: Aug 07, 2014 06:33:25 pm
      Well that's largely the reason why I don't think he should be our number one target and why I think he is very overrated.

Oh so now he's one of the most overrated players in world football because a rich club paid his buyout clause? Interesting!!!
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #28: Aug 07, 2014 06:36:47 pm
      Oh so now he's the one of the most overrated players in world football because a rich club paid his buyout clause? Interesting!!!
      Did you not read any of my earlier posts in this thread?

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #29: Aug 07, 2014 06:41:21 pm
      Yes everyone thanks, I also read your topic regarding Sturridge being your idea as the successor to Stevie's captaincy. You do amuse me if nothing else.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #30: Aug 07, 2014 06:44:31 pm
      You know, if that happened, I genuinely believed we would be up there with Real and Barca by now, but at the expense of all these wonderful young talents coming through our ranks.

I would actually find it more gratifying winning trophies and become a force again with our nurtured players than a team full of expensive established world class players.

I agree. All he more rewarding once we do win something major. Hopefully with FFP in action nowadays, City and Chelsea will not be able to buy themselves to glory anymore.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Aug 07, 2014 07:57:51 pm
      Just deleted virtually a whole page of utter crap, people going on about stalking and following each other around. Came in this thread expecting to discuss Cavani so how about we keep it that way?

As for Cavani, can't see it happening myself, get the feeling we are just getting linked to big name players because of the amount of money we apparently have to spend.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #32: Aug 07, 2014 08:29:12 pm
      Just deleted virtually a whole page of utter crap, people going on about stalking and following each other around. Came in this thread expecting to discuss Cavani so how about we keep it that way?

As for Cavani, can't see it happening myself, get the feeling we are just getting linked to big name players because of the amount of money we apparently have to spend.

True, also get that feeling.
      To sign Falcao, Cavani or Reus We need to spend ridiculous amount of money on wages and transfer fees. Also if You want to sign these pllayers You need to have other stars in the team and not a bunch of potential WC. .
      So just can't see us signing any of them and it's allmost embarrasing to see our fans going on about this on twitter and facebook having in mind We have almost no chance of making any of this signings...

Sad but true..
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #33: Aug 07, 2014 08:46:22 pm
      Never mind what peeps in twitter and fb say, it's journos at newspapers bringing out these rumours. There must be SOME truth to them..
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #34: Aug 07, 2014 09:49:56 pm
      It's a shame Dubai International Capital did not get their bid accepted by the Moores family.

We could've been rolling around in the cash right now.

Ifs and buts.

You know, if that happened, I genuinely believed we would be up there with Real and Barca by now, but at the expense of all these wonderful young talents coming through our ranks.

I would actually find it more gratifying winning trophies and become a force again with our nurtured players than a team full of expensive established world class players.

Have a read of this, might change your mind. They could be as bad as H&G at times.

Travelodge can blame its pain on Dubai

In the long history of disastrous leveraged buyouts, a place must be reserved for Travelodge, the 500-strong budget hotel chain which has escaped administration only because its landlords approved one of those company voluntary arrangement proposals where they agree to suffer a lot of pain rather than excruciating pain. Or, to use the estimate of KPMG, acting as supervisor of the CVA, affected landlords will get 23p in the pound versus 0.2p in administration. Yes, that's the sort of choice that gets a 96% majority.

It is not, however, an outcome that draws an explanation, let alone an apology, from the folk who imposed the calamitous high-debt financing structure on Travelodge in 2006. That outfit was Dubai International Capital. DIC long ago wrote off its investment in Travelodge and is reckoned to have lost £400m, which perhaps explains its reluctance to rake over the coals.

All the same, it is hard to swallow Travelodge management's regular pleas that DIC was not reckless. Yes, there were a lot of highly leveraged deals in that 2005-07 era but, come on, DIC was buying the business for £675m from another private firm, Permira, that had already doubled its money and given Travelodge's property portfolio the sale-and-leaseback treatment. DIC, by gearing up the business yet again in 2006, was piling leverage upon leverage and hoping recession would never arrive.

When it duly did, the numbers went horribly wrong and debt-servicing became the priority. The company is now controlled by two US hedge funds, Avenue Capital and Golden Tree, plus Goldman Sachs. They may not sound the most cuddly of owners but at least they've recognised what damage has been done to a profitable company by having to divert most of its earnings into interest payments for so many years. Some £55m of new cash has been earmarked for a complete refurbishment of 175 hotels.

From this point, one suspects life will become considerably better for Travelodge. Whitbread-owned Premier Inn, the other half of the budget hotel duopoly in the UK, has proved for years that there's good money to be made in this sector even in cold economic conditions. Whitbread may care to boast about Premier Inn's superior quality (fair enough) but the main difference between the two chains is that one was run under a ludicrous financial structure and one was not.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2012/sep/04/travelodge-buyout-pain-dubai-nils-pratley

In terms of Cavani, I'd like to have him here. One of the better options in a market currently lacking quality that's available.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Aug 07, 2014 09:55:40 pm

So just can't see us signing any of them and it's allmost embarrasing to see our fans going on about this on twitter and facebook having in mind We have almost no chance of making any of this signings...

Sad but true..

For a club with aspirations to win a first league in over 20 years, imo *this* is the kinda attitude that is hard to understand.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36: Aug 07, 2014 10:14:06 pm
      To be honest, I'd save that buttload of cash and spend it somewhere else on someone that would compliment Danny.

He's a multi million pound footballer worth millions in his prime, i'm sure he doesnt need some one to tell him he looks good, his hair is nice etc. :D

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #37: Aug 07, 2014 10:16:01 pm
      He's a multi million pound footballer worth millions in his prime, i'm sure he doesnt need some one to tell him he looks good, his hair is nice etc. :D

Or to get him some extra green peppers. ;)
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #38: Aug 07, 2014 10:59:23 pm
      Atleast he has the opposite to the problem with Falcao. As France has a 75% top tax rate, the real money he gets will be doubled, if the nominal wage remains the same.

Also for any saying he is overated - 1 in 2 from the wing is excellent. When played centrally that record becomes 1 in 1.
      Of the 25 goals he scored in 43 games last season (this includes Europe and cups), he scored 14 in 14 starts centrally, and 7 in 19 out wide. The remaining 10 games (and 4 goals) come from sub appearances (where it is bloody impossible to find data on position  :f_steam:)

Major issue is fee, but PSG need to sort out FFP maybe they will be willing to take a 10mil mark down. I doubt it though (I don't mean to be a dream killer - I was born this way). We can at least afford his wages  :)
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #39: Aug 07, 2014 11:04:18 pm
      PSG might need to sell to fund the Di Maria deal, or to help them with FFP (if they care). It's possible if the club put everything they had into trying to get him, however I doubt the club will do that.

He seems suited to the PL, very strong.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41: Aug 08, 2014 05:11:33 am
      No thanks for me strikes me as one of those that would absolutely struggle in the PL.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Aug 08, 2014 05:50:23 am
      No thanks for me strikes me as one of those that would absolutely struggle in the PL.

And how have you come to that conclusion?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #43: Aug 08, 2014 05:55:03 am
      Cavani, I feel, would blend in our system easily. Off Sturridge and in a 4-3-3. If the fee is about 40mil and wages within our limit, this would be an incredible statement of intent
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Aug 08, 2014 06:12:31 am
      Pros: fairly pacey, outstanding work rate, great finisher, versatile (can play striker leading the line or dropping deep, or right sided attacker)

Cons: Not really suited to a quick passing game. I think he'd have to adapt a lot to our style of play.

Right price and I'd be for it but I wouldn't break the bank to bring him here. I'm not his biggest fan but he solves a few problems.

Given his price tag last season I would pass. I wouldn't of valued him at more than £20m when he moved from Napoli.

Luis Muriel would suit us more, I feel. He can play across the front line, more suited to our play and quick which seems to be a necessary attribute Brendan looks for.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #45: Aug 08, 2014 09:13:11 am

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-eyeing-cavani-deal-7581814

Reported in the Echo last night, maybe something in this one is it the marquee signing everyone has been clamouring for. We will see in due time.

Quick Reply