Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Too many new players: Discuss

Read 3910 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,381 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Too many new players: Discuss
      Aug 08, 2014 11:08:18 pm
      7 players already signed and the likelihood that 2 maybe 3 more will still be added (Moreno a striker and a goalkeeper). 1 will be loaned back straight away to the club we bought him from so say 9 players will be new at the club this season.

There's 2 arguments I can see to signing that many players.

1) Its too many and it will take too long to gel (see the numerous times Spurs outcome last season was mentioned)

2) They will be needed to strengthen the squad and will help move us up another level.

Simple options there to pick from on where you stand. No turning it into a talk about who we should have signed who we shouldn't have signed, tactics, formations, Suarez, Reina or anything else 
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Too many new players: Discuss
      Reply #1: Aug 08, 2014 11:11:27 pm
      I pick option 2.

Not easily but we need to understand we are back in the champions league now, whether we came 2nd last season or scraped 4th we'd need to strengthen the squad regardless. That is what we have done, it could be argued our starting 11 has weakened, but to perform strongly in both the cup competitions and the league we needed additions in to add depth and quality to our squad.

Providing we do make the three assumed signings.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2: Aug 08, 2014 11:39:28 pm
      Pretty obvious really we needed to strengthen with CL this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Aug 08, 2014 11:44:18 pm
      Well we needed to add a fair few players this summer regardless, our team simply didn't have enough depth to it. There is always a risk when you bring in a lot of new players, look at Spurs last season, although they looked like they were buying for the sake of buying and trying to prove some sort of point. We are buying because we need more players and more strength throughout the team. Personally I feel that the rewards could far outweigh any negatives, with the added depth to the squad we could go on and have an even better season and the chance of success is a risk worth taking rather than just adding a couple of players and still scraping by in terms of numbers in fear of getting in a handful of new players and them not clicking as a team.

3 of the players we've signed have spent the last few years playing together anyway so they will be bringing their chemistry to the team and is an added bonus because it's 3 less players having to get to know each others game.

There is a risk with any signing that they wont gel into the squad, it doesn't matter if it is one signing or 10 new signings because every player adapts differently in a new team. Chances are, a couple of the players we have/will sign will turn out to be bad signings anyway because that's football, it always happens, I am yet to hear of any club that has a 100% success rate with their signings. It's not even always the new players that struggle, players already at the club, players that could have been at the club for a decade could struggle to gel with the new signings.

Confidence is key to a new player(s), get a good start and they will settle a lot quicker.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #4: Aug 08, 2014 11:55:22 pm
      To be fair, it's only our defence that will see major changes. I reckon the team would set up like this.

Mignolet

Flanagan  Lovren  Sakho  Moreno

Gerrard  Hendo

Markovich    Coutinho    Sterling 

Sturridge 

No major changes to the starting XI. Maybe Manquillo in for Flanagan and if we get a new striker, perhaps swap him with Markovich and switch to the diamond. We don't know exactly what Rodgers will do but I doubt there will be many games this season when we start with more than 4 of the new additions. I don't see any reason it should disrupt the squad in all honesty.

Edit: This of course is assuming we get Moreno, which I reckon is just a matter of time.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,381 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Aug 09, 2014 12:04:56 am
      I think Lallana will play and Can will get more games then a lot of people originally thought
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #6: Aug 09, 2014 12:07:41 am
      I think Lallana will play and Can will get more games then a lot of people originally thought

This would make me happy.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #7: Aug 09, 2014 12:13:51 am
      We brought in 9 players last season too! Plus with the players that have come in they've either had PL experience of have been bought because they're deemed capable of integrating seamlessly with Brendan's styles of play.

Just need some decent runs in the cup competitions now to give everyone an opportunity and to keep them happy.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #8: Aug 09, 2014 01:19:29 am
      I don't really see this as being much of an issue for a few reasons:

1) Brendan is a bright and progressive manager who's established his power within the club already. He's earned the respect of the team, the support of the owners, and the trust of the fans. He can cope with handling new players and the lads coming in are entering a club that's got a solid structure and vision as opposed to entering the club being that vision. That's what Tottenham lacked last year: stability, respected management, and a vision for success that wasn't completely reliant on the new players.

2) We've got ourselves a leader who's been here for years and who lives and breathes the creed of the club and who can get all these new guys in shape and serve as an example for them to what Liverpool FC is. Stevie's better at it than just about any other player in modern football and he's done underrated wonders for players like Raheem and Hendo who he's a bit of a mentor too I feel.

3) The players we're bringing in aren't all starters. The section of our team that's going to be shaken up the most is our defense with Lovren, Manquillo, and hopefully Moreno coming in all of whom we hope can challenge for starting spots immediately. And let's face it, that's not a bad thing considering our defense really can't get too much worse than what it was during some parts of last season. Therefore we're not really trying to gel a whole new starting lineup, instead just work in a few new players and add a little quality to our squad depth.

4) None of them are superstars. They all seem like level-headed players coming from humble, respected clubs where they all played important roles working for the team as a whole but all of which I'm sure are eager to prove to the management and the fans that they deserve to be in the starting XI - which is great. Competition is an integral part of any successful club and players who want to walk into a starting place without earning it don't deserve to be at our club anyway. All of our additions thus far seem like they're ready to fight for their place rather than to just expect it.

I think we're going to be just fine with our players coming in. I'm excited to see what these lads can do for us and am not concerned in the slightest about having a season like the spuds had last year.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #9: Aug 09, 2014 01:20:06 am
      Option 2. Boss said the squad was too thin and he's mostly corrected that. If we could add a decent striker and a new LB I think we're good.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #10: Aug 09, 2014 06:50:09 am
      jeez it's nothing like what spurs went through. we have a good core team we're adding to and Brendan Rodgers will ease the new signings into the side like a professional. it's not really hard to see if you follow Liverpool Football Club. I guess if you follow the media you could be scared into thinking we've "signed too many players" or something, but I can see it's all under control. we're finally going to be able to field a good XI and a good bench every game. isn't that beautiful? no more Aspas Moses Cissokho <youth teamer> on the bench! actual options!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Aug 09, 2014 07:46:39 am
      We had a cracking first team last season, with a serious lack of quality on the bench,  all were doing this summer is addressing that problem.
      2 players for every position is essential if we are to challenge on all fronts this season,  we look to be getting there, just a striker or 2 and a goalkeeper to add.

I don't think anyone can say we are bringing in to many new players,  it needed to be done.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #12: Aug 09, 2014 07:54:02 am
      2) they have spent ages playing together at Southampton anyway.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,546 posts | 3474 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13: Aug 09, 2014 09:46:44 am
      The squad needed to be strengthened but have a feeling we've gone for quantity over quality, hope I'm wrong though, a lot of young players which Brendan seems to be more comfortable with.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #14: Aug 09, 2014 10:09:46 am
      I'm going with neither option.

First and foremost you address the weak areas of the starting XI. That is CB, LB (yet to be addressed), RB (yet to be addressed), and ST (yet to be addressed). I can understand that Rodgers went into the market with an intent to A - addresses these problems areas and b - add depth to the squad.

Can, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert and Origi were not essential purchases in my opinion. They will add depth, sure, but it is highly questionable as to whether they will address our leaky problem in defence and whether they fill a void left by Luis Suarez.

CB - Lovren in my opinion is an important signing and therefore a good signing (I hope). He has leader qualities if which we have been missing since the retirement of Carragher. He should walk straight in and improve us.

RB - this young Athleti defender we signed is a gamble. He is on loan, yes, but his experience is not that great. I would have to favour Flanno over him for now, which is not ideal as Flanno can be improved on.

LB - expect this to be Moreno. Am confident we will finally agree something with Seville.

ST - have no a clue. Big problem area.

How I see the current team:

Mignolet
      ??.??  Lovren  Sakho ??.??
                     Gerrard
             Coutinho   Hendo
      ??.??     Sturridge     Sterling

Three key areas still needing to be addressed. This should have been the priority in my opinion.

So while we have added depth to our squad - Manquillo, Can, Lallana, Markovic, and Lambert.., we have still done little to address holes we have in our team.
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2014 10:23:24 am by CoutinhoRed »
      LFCexiled
      Reply #15: Aug 09, 2014 10:11:44 am
      We haven't had strength in depth for years, at times we had nobody on the bench who could change a game. It'll be refreshing to be watching a match and be able to think at 60 minutes 'right Brendan get X and X on the pitch and switch the play to 3-4-3 etc and we'll batter these fuckers.

Gets me a tad giddy at the thought. ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #16: Aug 09, 2014 02:17:25 pm
      I'm going with more No. 2 than No. 1. I think the new additions will really only impact the backline. I've always felt attackers, especially strikers, needed the least amount of time to get acclimated to new teammates since they're the focal point and it's pretty obvious what their job is. It's the backline that requires more learning of habits, such as knowing when the guy next to you prefers to step up and intercept or sit back and contain the play.

Markovic and Lallana won't need any huge amount of time at all I reckon. And I think Can generally reads the game well, so he won't have any difficultly coming into midfield to play whatever role is needed of him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17: Aug 09, 2014 07:19:05 pm
      We've always got to look at the long term and seeing how bad we were in depth last season it was vital that we did our best to rectify that this. People talk about gelling and the such and use Tottenham as an example but the fact is those players just weren't any good at adapting to the PL. The great thing in signing three players from Soton is that they do have PL experience and can fit right in. Markovic and Manquillo will get up to speed I'm sure.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,684 posts | 3905 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Aug 09, 2014 09:16:40 pm
      7 players already signed and the likelihood that 2 maybe 3 more will still be added (Moreno a striker and a goalkeeper). 1 will be loaned back straight away to the club we bought him from so say 9 players will be new at the club this season.

1) Its too many and it will take too long to gel (see the numerous times Spurs outcome last season was mentioned)

2) They will be needed to strengthen the squad and will help move us up another level.

Simple options there to pick from on where you stand. No turning it into a talk about who we should have signed who we shouldn't have signed, tactics, formations, Suarez, Reina or anything else 

I think people are making too much of the Spurs comparison.
      We've lost a vital player, possibly the best player in the world.
      That in itself will be an impossible task.

I don't think we've signed too many players.
      As it stands right now, we've signed less than last season.

14/15 - 6 players into the first team squad
      Adam Lallana   
      Dejan Lovren   
      Lazar Markovic   
                         Divock Origi   (Gone back out on loan)
      Emre Can   
      Rickie Lambert   
      Javier Manquillo

13/14 - 7 players into the first team squad
      Mamadou Sakho   
      Simon Mignolet   
      Iago Aspas   
                       Tiago Ilori  (Sent on loan)
      Luis Alberto   
      Victor Moses   
      Aly Cissokho   
      Kolo Touré

So we may sign a striker, left back and keeper.
      At most then we'll have signed only two players more than last season.
      Considering we had the smallest squad in the league last season I see it as a positive.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #19: Aug 10, 2014 12:22:10 am

Gut instinct is we have made exactly the same mistake Spurs did last year.

I desperately hope I'm wrong but we may only play we only end up playing 3 or 4 more games than last season.  We needed to bring in players significantly better than the ones we had in certain positions and I'm really not sure we've done that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Aug 10, 2014 12:39:02 am
      Gut instinct is we have made exactly the same mistake Spurs did last year.

I desperately hope I'm wrong but we may only play we only end up playing 3 or 4 more games than last season.  We needed to bring in players significantly better than the ones we had in certain positions and I'm really not sure we've done that.

I agree mate, stronger squad , but not necessarily a stronger team is how I see it at the moment.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #21: Aug 10, 2014 12:43:48 am
      It will be a minor miracle if we hit the ground running.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Aug 10, 2014 02:11:31 am
      It will be a minor miracle if we hit the ground running.

Especially with all the demolition going on around Anfield  stuey. Back on topic, when the squad is good enough then will be the time just to tweek the team by bringing in one or 2 players.

Quick Reply