Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 182840 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,629 posts | 763 
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #966: Aug 15, 2016 01:37:41 am
      The things that are asked of him are the things that are asked of Clyne too, yet Clyne doesn't seem to be incapable of having any positional awareness. It's basically like having a faster, left footed and more reckless Glen Johnson.

If we were facing a left back like Moreno then I'd love it because he gets ripped to pieces and you know you are in with a good chance of getting a free kick in a good position or a penalty.

Clyne is a better player overrall no doubt.

Johnson got bad as he got older. I feel like if lovren can turn things around. So can Moreno.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #967: Aug 15, 2016 04:00:47 am
      We should never have signed Johnson and for me the signing signalled the end of our status as one of the top 4 sides. And so it proved. The worst thing is that we tolerated him for too long, similar to Skrtel. Both players who played so much in the last 7 years or so both of whom were mid table at best. And our positions in the league showed that. My guess is that the toleration for those two average players stemmed from the fact that both were Rafa signings. The only difference with Moreno is that people are not tolerating this (rightly so), because he's a Brendan signing. Being signed by Rodgers obviously comes with a lot less clout than if you are signed by Rafa.

Excuse me, but it's not a matter Rafa or BR or anyone signings that relate to Klopp's decision to put players onto the pitch isn't it?

And how much the fans like/dislike/tolerate on this or that player also not affect what's Klopp decision about his players, is that right?

Problem is, IMHO, not this or that player a bad/poor player but why the manager(s) do not replace them.

In case of Moreno, if at the end of this season we miss a title just purely because Moreno error(s) I still not blame him but Klopp.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #968: Aug 15, 2016 08:18:00 am
      Moreno will never improve, he's to stupid and lacking in skill. One of his major problems is that he is completely one-footed which you just can't be as a defender. Klopp surely sees this and either he didn't get the LB he wanted or he's happy to take a chance on Milner, but surely one of the academy lads can do a better job than Moreno.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #969: Aug 15, 2016 08:24:21 am
      Moreno plays the same way as Bale did as a LB, losing his marker, being way too upfront and nowhere to be seen when the other team counters. I wonder if he's really a LB or more of a winger ?
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #970: Aug 15, 2016 08:57:10 am
      Moreno is nothing new, we had that type of players before. He is under huge pressure now although the result yesterday somehow saved him. I don´t hate the guy, some of the comments on players topics here are frankly disgraceful, still a LFC player at the moment Moreno..
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #971: Aug 15, 2016 09:47:07 am
      Moreno plays the same way as Bale did as a LB, losing his marker, being way too upfront and nowhere to be seen when the other team counters. I wonder if he's really a LB or more of a winger ?

Not talented enough to be a winger. His final ball at times is actually worse than his defending.

There is some myth about him being good at going forward but it's only because he has pace. If he was slow people would realise how sh*te he actually is at it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #972: Aug 15, 2016 10:13:42 am
      Bertie won't be replaced, not this summer anyway, as his good bits are exactly what Jürgen wants from his fb.

If you read up on Jurgens tactics the targeting of the space he leaves behind is intended as a trap for the opposition and its upto the covering defenders to deal with them.

It's why Sakho is our most effective lcb and why Bertie appears to not get back quick enough when that space is exploited.

Klavan is still learning his role and we still have Migs in goal who doesn't read the game and is too scared to venture off his lines.

So when you say you can't understand why Jürgen sticks with him, hasn't replaced him, or question how he can't see the "problem", he's looking at a totally different scenario.

Bertie will be given this season to improve his bad bits and for the rest of the defensive unit to gell and learn their role but here's a few points I noticed from yesterday.

We conceded once in the 1st half, when he was "doing his role" in the 2nd half we conceded 2 after Jürgen switched the "trap" to the right.  Both goals came from Clynes side, so ask yourself this, which side of defense worked best?

The brainless side or the solid defensive side?
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #973: Aug 15, 2016 12:22:31 pm
      #anyleftbackwilldo
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,737 posts | 3948 
      Reply #974: Aug 15, 2016 12:43:12 pm
      Crooks ripping him apart on BBC

"Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp is not averse to spending money if the talent is available. Having spent it wisely on Mane, he should seriously think about selling striker Christian Benteke - as he is surplus to requirements - and buying a decent left-back. If he keeps Alberto Moreno in the team, he can forget the top four - he'll get relegated."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37077569
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #975: Aug 15, 2016 12:50:12 pm

"Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp is not averse to spending money if the talent is available. Having spent it wisely on Mane, he should seriously think about selling striker Christian Benteke - as he is surplus to requirements - and buying a decent left-back. If he keeps Alberto Moreno in the team, he can forget the top four - he'll get relegated."

That's a cunty thing to write on BBC. The media are pretty much bullying him at this point and it's one of the most disgusting things about the game and they do this regularly. It's one thing writing sh*t on an internet forum and another to say it on national TV or write it on a national website.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #976: Aug 15, 2016 12:53:34 pm

Add that to Gary Neville's assessment 'By starting Moreno, Liverpool might as well start matches a goal down'

Ouch!

As opposed to 4 goals down if you are being managed by Gary Neville!  :P
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #977: Aug 15, 2016 12:54:57 pm

Never have liked Crooks, he knows F**k all about the game. I wish I could say that I was shocked that he's somehow employed as an 'expert'/pundit.

"He should seriously think about selling Benteke." Why? We're not in a position where we have to sell so if nobody comes in with a respectful offer then he's free to stay at the club IMO. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #978: Aug 15, 2016 12:55:50 pm
      Add that to Gary Neville's assessment 'By starting Moreno, Liverpool might as well start matches a goal down'

Ouch!

As opposed to 4 goals down if you are being managed by Gary Neville!  :P

The funny thing is, we started a goal down against Arsenal away and still won. Cheers Neville you tit :D.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,437 posts | 6426 
      Reply #979: Aug 15, 2016 03:05:17 pm
      Bertie won't be replaced, not this summer anyway, as his good bits are exactly what Jürgen wants from his fb.

If you read up on Jurgens tactics the targeting of the space he leaves behind is intended as a trap for the opposition and its upto the covering defenders to deal with them.

It's why Sakho is our most effective lcb and why Bertie appears to not get back quick enough when that space is exploited.

Klavan is still learning his role and we still have Migs in goal who doesn't read the game and is too scared to venture off his lines.

So when you say you can't understand why Jürgen sticks with him, hasn't replaced him, or question how he can't see the "problem", he's looking at a totally different scenario.

Bertie will be given this season to improve his bad bits and for the rest of the defensive unit to gell and learn their role but here's a few points I noticed from yesterday.

We conceded once in the 1st half, when he was "doing his role" in the 2nd half we conceded 2 after Jürgen switched the "trap" to the right.  Both goals came from Clynes side, so ask yourself this, which side of defense worked best?

The brainless side or the solid defensive side?

Sorry but you can't tell me that this is where Klopp wanted him to be. So Klopp wanted Klavan to have to leave his man to come and cover for Moreno?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #980: Aug 15, 2016 03:14:00 pm
      Sorry but you can't tell me that this is where Klopp wanted him to be. So Klopp wanted Klavan to have to leave his man to come and cover for Moreno?

Tbh, I don't blame Moreno for the first goal, I can understand why he moved so far up the pitch because there was an opportunity to counter, but Lallana fu**ed up and lost the ball. As for Klavan, I think he got sucked in too much and left that area completely free, shouldn't have tracked Ramsey completely imo.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,437 posts | 6426 
      Reply #981: Aug 15, 2016 03:20:08 pm
      Tbh, I don't blame Moreno for the first goal, I can understand why he moved so far up the pitch because there was an opportunity to counter, but Lallana fu**ed up and lost the ball. As for Klavan, I think he got sucked in too much and left that area completely free, shouldn't have tracked Ramsey completely imo.

Moreno needs to be sure that the attack is on though before he completely vacates that area. He's got enough speed that if he waits a second to ensure Lallana DOESN'T lose the ball he can still get in on the attack. It showcases his main issue...brain farts. He thinks attack, attack, attack and doesn't even stop to think that he also has defensive duties.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #982: Aug 15, 2016 03:29:00 pm

Not just that teams have actually cottoned onto the fact he's our weak link as well!!

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #983: Aug 15, 2016 03:40:16 pm

Course I can't but there's some fantastic expert analysis that may help you understand why Moreno isn't the issue.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #984: Aug 15, 2016 03:43:03 pm
      Course I can't but there's some fantastic expert analysis that may help you understand why Moreno isn't the issue.

I think you're bang on regarding Moreno. The question isn't to just to think this is a game of Football Manager of FIFA and go and buy any half decent left back. We need to find one that has the speed and attacking drive of Moreno who can create chances and goal in addition to having the ability to defend. There aren't too many full backs like that out there and even less available for transfer. This is no easy fix but then that's the sort of delusion that the FIFA generation drives on.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #985: Aug 15, 2016 03:50:25 pm
      I think you're bang on regarding Moreno. The question isn't to just to think this is a game of Football Manager of FIFA and go and buy any half decent left back. We need to find one that has the speed and attacking drive of Moreno who can create chances and goal in addition to having the ability to defend. There aren't too many full backs like that out there and even less available for transfer. This is no easy fix but then that's the sort of delusion that the FIFA generation drives on.

I think the ability to defend should be the starting point.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #986: Aug 15, 2016 03:53:39 pm

Absolutely mate, if it was easy we'd have a replacement by now but there's a reason why Jürgen hasn't just gone out and bought "a" LB.  He's very specific in what he wants and for now Moreno has enough of those specifics for him to work with him to improve his frailties.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #987: Aug 15, 2016 03:57:41 pm
      Klopp has said enough times that he believes in coaching over transfers. I think he'll stay as 1st choice this season
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #988: Aug 15, 2016 06:14:24 pm

Besides Moreno, look how much disarray there is with that back line. Not a single one is in line with each other.

Quick Reply