Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 181238 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #483: Jan 23, 2016 10:55:28 pm
      Bit harsh but.......   :D

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #484: Jan 23, 2016 11:33:04 pm
      Huge overreactions in this thread.

Decent little player Moreno. Only 23 as well. I'm sure he's learnt a lot from today's game.

Terrible footballer? Jesus...where's that knee jerk thread when you need it. You wouldn't guess we won today.

That's because no thanks to him we almost didn't.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #485: Jan 23, 2016 11:34:14 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #486: Jan 23, 2016 11:52:02 pm

Really? Not only have you said Aguero has the same haircut but you've gone through the effort of finding not 1, not 2, but 3 links on it. Quiet evening in is it mate?  :laugh:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #487: Jan 24, 2016 12:03:02 am

Decent little player Moreno. Only 23 as well. I'm sure he's learnt a lot from today's game.

Terrible footballer? Jesus...where's that knee jerk thread when you need it. You wouldn't guess we won today.

Nothing knee jerk from me, if you read back you will see my opinion that he is hopeless has been pretty consistent. This lad wouldn't get near a starting spot in any of the top teams in our division, nowhere near them
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #488: Jan 24, 2016 01:24:24 am

Yeah, totally agree. It was a mental decision in the box, but it doesn't change my opinion that he's a good player.

Nothing knee jerk from me, if you read back you will see my opinion that he is hopeless has been pretty consistent. This lad wouldn't get near a starting spot in any of the top teams in our division, nowhere near them

The lad is decent enough defensively and is very good going forward. Creates significantly more chances than any other full back in the league and that tends to be what top teams want in a full back. He'd play for City regularly, with Shaw injured he'd walk into United's team, and he'd force Chelsea to move Azpilicueta back over to right back because he's better than Ivanovic or Baba. He's better than either of Tottenham's left backs too.

Oh come on, face it , he is a terrible football player.Incredibly one footed,(even mores so than Riise) ,utterly nervous on the ball because he realises how poor he is technically (is he much better than cissoko with the ball?) the reason he sometimes gets so much of the ball is because the opposition want him to have it. He's quick and he is a trier I'll give him that but he makes poor decisions, he isn't a natural defender, he doesn't prevent crosses. He's good for a decent cross every other game and that's about it. His best moments always come when he is cleaning up one of his own mistakes.

Smith and Flanagan are by far the better option and I can only hope today's display is the nail that sends him to third choice.

He is one footed, but so what, so are most full backs. Smith isn't some two-footed genius. He's not nervous on the ball at all, he's actually good on the ball. He can pass the ball well, he's got a good touch, he can dribble, etc. His crossing is hit or miss, but every time he puts in any sort of decent ball there's not a single player that makes a run.

You've not seen Smith defend at all. Smith hasn't been put in any sort of proper match situation. Flanagan is the definition of average. No way should be starting over Moreno. That's F***ing mental. People forget how many bad games he had in 13/14 for some reason. Half the time he was decent, half the time he was sh*te. He was one of the most dribbled past players in the league in a season where our defence was the worst it has been in ages.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 491 
      Reply #489: Jan 24, 2016 06:02:41 am
      Yes, he was bad today and made a horrendous error but TBF to him, he has been pretty good this season as compared to his previous season.

There is definately a player there. You just have to remember that tackle on Mane against Soton (one of the best i've ever seen).

Terrible? Not at all, a good young footballer who is making mistakes (albeit terrible ones) but will eventually get better and better.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #490: Jan 24, 2016 06:51:36 am
      A player who had a bad day, ok,he made bad decisions.
      and he is called everything, terrible football player, hopeless , not good,
       bar yesterday he had   good performances since klopp came here
      if I am not mistaken he was voted MOTM a couple of times in here, or close to it anyway
      not saying he is ''world class'' but IMO he is a good young player
      YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #491: Jan 24, 2016 07:13:30 am
      His good performances are when he doesn't F**k things up. That's the critique of "good"?

He's had more sh*t games than good and when he's sh*t, he's F***ing awful. Can you seriously see him being able to mark some of the best wingers in the world if we are to progress to consistent Champions League qualification and trying to win the league?

He got turned over by a fullback making his debut from the Croatian league and had no idea where he was when he overlapped his winger. He's brainless and has to go.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #492: Jan 24, 2016 07:58:08 am
      People said he's one footed, but he clearly used both feet to give away the penalty yesterday, so there!  :f_whistle:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #493: Jan 24, 2016 07:59:33 am
      He also needs to stay to F**k away from free-kick situations. Yes terrible at shooting.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #494: Jan 24, 2016 09:48:19 am
      Gomez, Flano and Smith can all take his place. To be honest, Brendan was right to start with Gomez in the beginning because this guy can not defend. He is decent in attack and has pace but nothing else. He needs to improve to cement his place.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #495: Jan 24, 2016 03:25:46 pm
      He's had more sh*t games than good and when he's sh*t, he's f**king awful. Can you seriously see him being able to mark some of the best wingers in the world if we are to progress to consistent Champions League qualification and trying to win the league?

If his only job was to man mark a player out of the game then yes, I do think he could handle even the best wingers in the game.  He is freakishly fast and makes some spectacular tackles.  He does make rash challenges at times and it bit us in the ass yesterday for the pen.  He definitely needs to improve his end product and we need to remove him from any free kick responsibilities, but he's not a bad player.

Some real over the top reactions in here.  Our defense has been sh*t for about 4.5 seasons now.  It used to help Glenn who was the scapegoat. Now Alberto is taking his place....  Honestly, those calling for Smith / Flano / Gomez were probably the same calling for Bogan a few weeks back.  We all know how that turned out.....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #496: Jan 24, 2016 03:35:57 pm
      If his only job was to man mark a player out of the game then yes, I do think he could handle even the best wingers in the game.

Name one he has handled.

He couldn't even mark Mata and he's the most predictable right winger you'd see. Double up on his flank and you're guaranteed something from it and the mighty Norwich were able to get success from his side all game.

And did you see the game? How is calling him sh*te (or, at least his performance sh*te) "over the top"? It was like watching Traore and Konchesky wrapped up in one but with a sh*t haircut.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #497: Jan 24, 2016 03:55:46 pm
      Criticism of Moreno's haircut is outlandish. Just because you mugs don't have an eye for fashion and/or are bald, doesn't mean you have to bring the Gerrard/Alonso love child down to your ugly level :laugh:
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #498: Jan 24, 2016 04:38:26 pm
      If his only job was to man mark a player out of the game then yes, I do think he could handle even the best wingers in the game.  He is freakishly fast and makes some spectacular tackles.  He does make rash challenges at times and it bit us in the ass yesterday for the pen.  He definitely needs to improve his end product and we need to remove him from any free kick responsibilities, but he's not a bad player.

Some real over the top reactions in here.  Our defense has been sh*t for about 4.5 seasons now.  It used to help Glenn who was the scapegoat. Now Alberto is taking his place....  Honestly, those calling for Smith / Flano / Gomez were probably the same calling for Bogan a few weeks back.  We all know how that turned out.....

Didn't even think it was a penalty personally. First challenge, there was no contact. Second challenge was barely contact and Naismith pulled a fast one, which the ref bought. But overall, Moreno as a defender is terrible. Has to use his amazing pace to get himself out of situations he puts himself into 8 times out of 10.

harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #499: Jan 24, 2016 04:56:56 pm
      And did you see the game? How is calling him sh*te (or, at least his performance sh*te) "over the top"? It was like watching Traore and Konchesky wrapped up in one but with a sh*t haircut.

His performance was dire, but every player has bad games....

Double up on his flank and you're guaranteed something from it

He gets little to no help from the midfielder in front of him. Of course he will struggle when he is left to defend 2v1 situations!!  We don't have to agree.  You can have your opinion of him.  Personally, I think the only better LB's in the league are Azpilicueta, Monreal, Baines, and perhaps Clichy / Kolarov.  Hardly puts him in the category of sh*t being arguably one of the top 5 LB's in the league.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #500: Jan 24, 2016 06:37:54 pm
      A few stats: 

Alberto makes 2.9 tackles per game, which is the 12 best of all defenders in the Prem.

He averages 2 interceptions and 1.1 blocks per game, and concedes less than 1 foul (0.9 fouls per 90) and is dribbled past less than 1 time per game (0.8 dribbles per 90).

In attack he averages 2.0 key passes per game and has created the most goal scoring chances of any defender in the league.  He also passes the ball with an 80% success rate, and is dispossessed fewer than once a game (0.9 times per 90).

He has an overall rating of 6.91.  As a comparison, Azpilicueta has a rating of 6.98, and Clyne has a rating of 6.76

I can't find a way to search for it, but I would be willing to bet that Alberto has made the most recovery tackles of any player in the league.

I know stats only tell part of the story -- they don't take into account his poor positional sense, the amount of times he loses his runner, or the poor/rash decisions that he has a tendency to make -- but I do think they backup my view that he is a much better player than what some on here are making him out to be.....

The stats were found on whoscored.com
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #501: Jan 24, 2016 06:54:44 pm
      He makes so many mistakes yes he is lightening quick but he cannot defend and this new way of tackling is going to cost us or him
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #502: Jan 24, 2016 07:05:49 pm
      Really? Not only have you said Aguero has the same haircut but you've gone through the effort of finding not 1, not 2, but 3 links on it. Quiet evening in is it mate?  :laugh:

Yeah it was  :lmao:
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #503: Jan 24, 2016 07:08:03 pm
      Gomez, Flano and Smith can all take his place. To be honest, Brendan was right to start with Gomez in the beginning because this guy can not defend. He is decent in attack and has pace but nothing else. He needs to improve to cement his place.

I'd rather prefer Moreno to Gomez, i like fullbacks who surge forward.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #504: Jan 24, 2016 07:41:54 pm
      Name one he has handled.

He couldn't even mark Mata and he's the most predictable right winger you'd see. Double up on his flank and you're guaranteed something from it and the mighty Norwich were able to get success from his side all game.

He handled Mahrez who was in top form at the time of playing us. He was probably the first to completely shut him out this season. Mahrez didn't get a sniff and has since been poor for a few games.

There aren't that many top wingers he has to come up against, really. Most of the best wide men play on the left in this league.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #505: Jan 24, 2016 08:32:13 pm

Yeah, totally agree. It was a mental decision in the box, but it doesn't change my opinion that he's a good player.

The lad is decent enough defensively and is very good going forward. Creates significantly more chances than any other full back in the league and that tends to be what top teams want in a full back. He'd play for City regularly, with Shaw injured he'd walk into United's team, and he'd force Chelsea to move Azpilicueta back over to right back because he's better than Ivanovic or Baba. He's better than either of Tottenham's left backs too.

He is one footed, but so what, so are most full backs. Smith isn't some two-footed genius. He's not nervous on the ball at all, he's actually good on the ball. He can pass the ball well, he's got a good touch, he can dribble, etc. His crossing is hit or miss, but every time he puts in any sort of decent ball there's not a single player that makes a run.

You've not seen Smith defend at all. Smith hasn't been put in any sort of proper match situation. Flanagan is the definition of average. No way should be starting over Moreno. That's f**king mental. People forget how many bad games he had in 13/14 for some reason. Half the time he was decent, half the time he was sh*te. He was one of the most dribbled past players in the league in a season where our defence was the worst it has been in ages.

I guess it's a game of opinions. In my opinion we're buggered if he is the long term option at left back, he's a weak leak. Solid defensively? Let's be honest, none of them are. And really good going forwards? We must see the game very differently, he runs a lot, the opposition give him a ton of space and he generally passes the ball back to the person who give it him. Clyne is a far far superior player on the other side. Regardless of what anyone can tell me from the stats.

Quick Reply