Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 179723 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #506: Jan 24, 2016 08:36:33 pm

He handled Mahrez who was in top form at the time of playing us. He was probably the first to completely shut him out this season. Mahrez didn't get a sniff and has since been poor for a few games.

There aren't that many top wingers he has to come up against, really. Most of the best wide men play on the left in this league.

Mahrez was ill as was  Vardy but they did not look too bad yesterday
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #507: Jan 24, 2016 08:37:41 pm
      I'd rather prefer Moreno to Gomez, i like fullbacks who surge forward.

I'm old school, I like full backs who can contribute to clean sheets and defend a bit whilst they're at it. Not surging forward like a headless chicken, I can remember Carra going fookin mental at Moreno on MNF last season, we were one goal up, dying minutes of the game, we'd won the ball back and were able to break forward (can't remember who was running with the ball), Moreno goes screaming up the touch line on an overlap trying to get involved, we lose the ball and nearly concede at the other end from a cross from the right. It kinda sums him up for me. He has the attributes to be a very good defender but not the instincts. It's too late for him to learn the instincts.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Reply #508: Jan 24, 2016 08:45:34 pm
      I'm old school, I like full backs who can contribute to clean sheets and defend a bit whilst they're at it. Not surging forward like a headless chicken, I can remember Carra going fookin mental at Moreno on MNF last season, we were one goal up, dying minutes of the game, we'd won the ball back and were able to break forward (can't remember who was running with the ball), Moreno goes screaming up the touch line on an overlap trying to get involved, we lose the ball and nearly concede at the other end from a cross from the right. It kinda sums him up for me. He has the attributes to be a very good defender but not the instincts. It's too late for him to learn the instincts.

Old school is frowned upon mate but if they bothered to consider who scored some of the most important goals in the clubs history then they would find it was fullbacks. Phil Neal appearing in the six yard area to score in a European Cup or kennedy scoring two winning goals in European Cup finals the difference they could also defend. Chris Lawler and Alec Lindsay could attack and defend we shouldn't have to settle for one or the other and their first job is to defend.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #509: Jan 24, 2016 08:52:49 pm
      Old school is frowned upon mate but if they bothered to consider who scored some of the most important goals in the clubs history then they would find it was fullbacks. Phil Neal appearing in the six yard area to score in a European Cup or kennedy scoring two winning goals in European Cup finals the difference they could also defend. Chris Lawler and Alec Lindsay could attack and defend we shouldn't have to settle for one or the other and their first job is to defend.

Absolutely mate, give me a classical full-back who is fundamentally a sound defender but CAN get forward, support his wide man, is technically solid and deliver a decent cross and I'm happy. Clyne fits the bill for me, solid in both directions without being flashy, I really like him. And he has the pace to recover from errors or poor positioning as and when it happens. I always liked Steve Finnan for the same reason. Both players who instilled confidence. But Moreno? He gives me nightmares.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #510: Jan 24, 2016 09:05:46 pm
      One of the safest ways to work out how old a poster is is to measure which full backs they rate highly. If they like bomber onners, the Dani Alves type of fullback you can be pretty sure they're fairly young. If they're a bit of an old c***, they tend to prefer defenders who actually defend. Me, I'm firmly in the "defenders must defend" camp, and I'm old, and a c***. See it all makes sense in the end.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #511: Jan 24, 2016 09:10:54 pm
      One of the safest ways to work out how old a poster is is to measure which full backs they rate highly. If they like bomber onners, the Dani Alves type of fullback you can be pretty sure they're fairly young. If they're a bit of an old c***, they tend to prefer defenders who actually defend. Me, I'm firmly in the "defenders must defend" camp, and I'm old, and a c***. See it all makes sense in the end.

That's so true mate! Its the young-ins painting Moreno as some sort of Scouse Jordi Alba (but without the touch, ability or confidence)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #512: Jan 24, 2016 09:12:47 pm
      Tell you what Scott, we've already started debating whether Smith is a better left back than Moreno. If we're talking Flanno anywhere near to what he was in the "almost title" season, for me there's no contest. Scouse Kafu every day of every week.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #513: Jan 24, 2016 09:39:17 pm
      We really haven't managed to properly replace Arbeloa or Finnan in the corners.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #514: Jan 24, 2016 09:43:31 pm

My favorite fullbacks in the last 15 years - Kelly and Riise.  How old am I ???

In all seriousness, the game has changed.  Very few top teams play with 2 banks of 4.  Inverted wingers are all the rage, which means attacking width must be provided by overlapping fullbacks.  Moreno is basically being asked to cover the entire left flank on his own.  He could sit deep and not venture forward, but then I'm sure plenty of people would criticize his lack of attacking ambition.  Lots of work and very little credit may as well be the job description of a modern fullback.....
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Reply #515: Jan 24, 2016 10:18:31 pm
      Absolutely mate, give me a classical full-back who is fundamentally a sound defender but CAN get forward, support his wide man, is technically solid and deliver a decent cross and I'm happy. Clyne fits the bill for me, solid in both directions without being flashy, I really like him. And he has the pace to recover from errors or poor positioning as and when it happens. I always liked Steve Finnan for the same reason. Both players who instilled confidence. But Moreno? He gives me nightmares.

I agree about Clyne he goes largely unnoticed and in our back four that's quite an achievement.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #516: Jan 24, 2016 10:22:57 pm
      yawn.

I've been saying for over a year now that he's not good enough.

Glad you are all finally coming around.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #517: Jan 24, 2016 10:25:59 pm
      yawn.

Yeah but you say that about every player, you're bound to get it right eventually!  :f_whistle:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #518: Jan 24, 2016 10:27:58 pm
      Yeah but you say that about every player, you're bound to get it right eventually!  :f_whistle:

not at all.  I think Coutinho, Clyne, Can, Sturridge (when fit), Ibe, Sakho, etc have all proven that they are good enough.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #519: Jan 24, 2016 10:33:50 pm
      not at all.  I think Coutinho, Clyne, Can, Sturridge (when fit), Ibe, Sakho, etc have all proven that they are good enough.

I disagree, with the exception of Sturridge all these guys have been inconsistent, good players on their day, but not week in week out! There is talent in the squad, I'm hoping Klopp can bring out the best of them.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #520: Jan 24, 2016 10:55:10 pm
      Tell you what Scott, we've already started debating whether Smith is a better left back than Moreno. If we're talking Flanno anywhere near to what he was in the "almost title" season, for me there's no contest. Scouse Kafu every day of every week.

I liked Flanagan on the left that season (he has had his best games from that side I my opinion) he is a good little passer and as a right footer on the left he often got his head up and used the ball well. He is a little bit slow on the turn but he reads the game well and has a few Carra instincts as a defender. When he is fit (and it might take till beginning of next season to get to top fitness) he would also be my choice.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #521: Jan 24, 2016 10:59:54 pm
      yawn.

Yawn

Scan back through the thread fella, plenty of people questioning this kid for you to be patting your own back. I don't think your quite ready for MNF just yet
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #522: Jan 24, 2016 11:44:31 pm
      yawn.

Wow, seems like you are more bothered about saying I told you so than the actual development of the team. Bet you've been looking forward to him having a game like that for the last year.

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #523: Jan 25, 2016 12:29:03 am

No it's not. You've got to move on with the times. Bayern's fullbacks are all excellent getting forward. So are Barcelona's. And Madrid's. And every other top team's in the world. Even in our greatest team we had a player like Nicol at fullback.

That's so true mate! Its the young-ins painting Moreno as some sort of Scouse Jordi Alba (but without the touch, ability or confidence)

You've not got a clue what any of our ages are.

The same Flanagan who was hooked early multiple times? The same Flanagan who was dribbled past more than any other player? Christ, Flanagan is given the easiest ride on the forum because he's Scouse. That, or peoples' memories have gone completely. Moreno defends better than him and is miles better going forward.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #524: Jan 25, 2016 03:38:09 am

I'm only 23 but give me a defender that can defend. If he can get forward, lovely, but at least be able to mark someone.

Moreno can do neither.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #525: Jan 25, 2016 04:35:48 am
      Said it before lad needs a slap across the chops.

Left back with arguably the worst positioning and awareness in the league. His positioning for Naismith's goal was F***ing dire I don't think Naismith believed his luck when he saw where Alberto was hence why he waited so long to dart into the box. Positioning for the penalty was even worse not to mention the stupid brain fart lunge in the box seen many a  game in my life time but have not seen anything like it.

He needs to realise he's shooting ability is severely over rate too in fact he needs to rate himself a little less in general.

Bring on Smith.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #526: Jan 25, 2016 04:38:33 am
      Moreno is a horrible defender, constantly putting his CB's in a pickle. His positioning and decision making is poor, but he can run like a raped ape so people overlook the fact he couldn't defend a steak from a vegetarian.

Give me someone that can defend first and foremost and get forward as a bonus. Let the attackers do the attacking if need be.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #527: Jan 25, 2016 04:53:55 am
      His positioning for Naismith's goal was f**king dire I don't think Naismith believed his luck when he saw where Alberto was hence why he waited so long to dart into the box. Positioning for the penalty was even worse not to mention the stupid brain fart lunge in the box seen many a  game in my life time but have not seen anything like it.

It was actually Can who lost Naismith. Moreno was holding the line like he was supposed to do. Had Can done his job and tracked the runner, we'd have been fine.

No defending him on the penalty though.... it was poor positioning in which he lost his runner, then made a horribly rash challenge to give away the pen.  He had a mare of a game, but so did most of the team.  Don't blame him for other people's mistakes.....
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #528: Jan 25, 2016 08:54:53 am
      Weird how a light hearted remark about people's ages and full-backs produced such vehement responses. Chill out guys eh?

Quick Reply