Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Alberto Moreno (Contract Expired)

Read 176780 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Alberto Moreno Player Thread
      Reply #1219: Aug 02, 2017 10:08:02 am
      Performance of a .man who doesnt want to leave?? Corner turned??
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1220: Aug 02, 2017 10:18:35 am
      Performance of a .man who doesnt want to leave?? Corner turned??

He could be like a new signing?  :-\  :laugh:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1221: Aug 02, 2017 10:28:46 am
      He could be like a new signing?  :-\  :laugh:

All these new but not really signings, racking up.  ;D

By all accounts nice but dim berty did impress.

The lad has come in for considerable flack (by myself as well), so it's nice hear the grey matter has developed a lil bit over the summer. Omega 3 Wunderbar!

Nah, seriously, fair play long may it continue.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #1222: Aug 02, 2017 11:36:55 am
      Moreno has been wretched and absolutely useless for three straight seasons.  Then he suddenly has one match where he's half decent and it's all forgotten.

And they say we have the most intelligent supporters around.... ha.

Does that go for Klopp too!!

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1223: Aug 02, 2017 11:47:30 am
      Never doubted his ability as a footballer, just as a defender, and as others have said, looks much improved in that area, but only a run of games will show it properly.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1224: Aug 02, 2017 12:17:26 pm
      My opinion is if he can defend and play like that against Bayern then he can do it against anyone, lets hope so anyway.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1225: Aug 02, 2017 12:38:37 pm
      He had a good game, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think Klopp's comment about him speaks volumes. He's got to do that on a consistent basis to be considered viable. Would be nice if he did, but I'm not going to hold my breath just yet.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1226: Aug 02, 2017 01:07:51 pm
      He had a good game, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think Klopp's comment about him speaks volumes. He's got to do that on a consistent basis to be considered viable. Would be nice if he did, but I'm not going to hold my breath just yet.

Pretty much where I'm at after watching it again this morning.

It was a top performance from him but that doesn't cover over all of the shocking games he's had in the past. He wasn't attacked quite as much as Trent on the other side. Alaba & Ribery vs Trent was a bigger battle than what Moreno faced in Rafinha & Muller. I was very disappointed in Muller last night & Rafinha didn't attack as much as I expected.

What I think gets to Moreno is when the wide man and the full back are both attacking him as he seems to get confused but give him somebody who isn't going to go past him and he's OK.

If he can put those types of performances in on a consistent basis though then he may get the chance to stay.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1227: Aug 02, 2017 01:10:56 pm
      Moreno has been wretched and absolutely useless for three straight seasons.  Then he suddenly has one match where he's half decent and it's all forgotten.

And they say we have the most intelligent supporters around.... ha.

He's useless as a footballer.  But to be honest, I would keep him around if for no other reason than the fact that he appears to be best mates with Coutinho.  We already got rid of Lucas, if we kicked Moreno to the curb Coutinho will have lost two good mates in a matter of weeks.  With Barca calling that isn't exactly a wise decision.

No one is saying that. Once again, you overreact to one tiny moment like the sensitive little Chelsea supporting flower you are.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #1228: Aug 03, 2017 01:40:05 pm
      Hope lad stay he got pace burn better then James milner who F**k for pace now looking at milner look like he can't even run now he F**k
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1229: Aug 05, 2017 07:40:42 pm
      Berto showing some real quality in the last 2 games (albeit preseason friendlies).  Maybe the kid is actually a decent footballer....

Hate to say I told you so!!

😎
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1230: Aug 05, 2017 10:51:16 pm
      Two good games in the pre-season and suddenly Moreno is apparently now staying, Milner's going back to central midfield after just 45 minutes) and we get to see more of Alberto's unique brand of brain fart defending this season. I'm sorry, he's a terrible footballer and I don't want him anywhere near the first team.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #1231: Aug 06, 2017 02:38:48 am
      Hes definitely bucked up since Robertson has come aboard. Long may it continue!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #1232: Aug 06, 2017 02:32:49 pm
      Two good games in the pre-season and suddenly Moreno is apparently now staying, Milner's going back to central midfield after just 45 minutes) and we get to see more of Alberto's unique brand of brain fart defending this season. I'm sorry, he's a terrible footballer and I don't want him anywhere near the first team.

Yep, still got a long way to go before I start calling for him to be back in the first team.

Encouraging signs though.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #1233: Aug 06, 2017 02:34:41 pm

I'm with you here mate.
      I think Moreno just look improve in recent friendly games are mostly due to the excellence of his teammates in front of him. His weakest is defensive awareness and when occur it's always a big problem.
      I'd definitely give a chance to Robertson ahead of Moreno.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #1234: Aug 15, 2017 10:19:20 pm
      Should we make him play as a winger like how they changed Bale's game? This lad simply doesn't know how to defend. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1235: Aug 15, 2017 10:24:56 pm
      Should we make him play as a winger like how they changed Bale's game? This lad simply doesn't know how to defend. 

Don't think he has enough tricks in his locker to play as a winger, he's just pure pace. Hence why they tried to convert him, that over-lap run is made for him, even if you see it coming you either have to back off from the guy on the ball or let Moreno get a running start in which case you're left for dead.

Unfortunately his defensive side just isn't strong enough.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1236: Aug 15, 2017 10:32:21 pm
      Don't think he has enough tricks in his locker to play as a winger, he's just pure pace. Hence why they tried to convert him, that over-lap run is made for him, even if you see it coming you either have to back off from the guy on the ball or let Moreno get a running start in which case you're left for dead.

Unfortunately his defensive side just isn't strong enough.

Trouble is though Luke - his final ball is patchy when he gets in.........

Was miles off where he needs to be tonight and I hate ragging on players.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1237: Aug 15, 2017 10:32:36 pm

Thing is, he's not even that good as a winger. People exaggerate how good his offense play is in comparison with his awful defending ability. He is quick and has decent technique but that's all there is to it. He can't dribble and for the most parts, can't cross and can't shoot. But most importantly, he has zero game intelligence so no matter which position you put him in he will not excel at that.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1238: Aug 15, 2017 10:34:41 pm
      The only logical reason why I think Klopp is playing him is because he is using him as bait for Coutinho
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1239: Aug 15, 2017 10:35:21 pm
      People exaggerate how good his offense play is in comparison with his awful defending ability.

Agree with this 100%.

He's not "great" going forward, he rarely ever does anything even remotely close to "great" when attacking.

What happens is that he is so poor defensively that people try to include him in the usual stereotype of the attacking fullback with suspect defensive skills.

He's just a poor footballer and his inclusion in the starting XI following a whole season warming the bench truly baffles me. I was convinced he'd be sold this window.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1240: Aug 15, 2017 10:40:41 pm
      Agree with this 100%.

He's not "great" going forward, he rarely ever does anything even remotely close to "great" when attacking.

What happens is that he is so poor defensively that people try to include him in the usual stereotype of the attacking fullback with suspect defensive skills.

He's just a poor footballer and his inclusion in the starting XI following a whole season warming the bench truly baffles me. I was convinced he'd be sold this window.

Agree, mate. That's why I was so baffled with Klopp's remarks that Moreno is 100% back, after 1.5 preseason games where he had little to no defending to do. That made no sense because it's not like he suffered an injury last season. He didn't play much because he was useless - everybody knows it and Klopp knows it. The only reason he's still here is because nobody's willing to pay us for whichever we value him at.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1241: Aug 15, 2017 10:45:01 pm
      Trouble is though Luke - his final ball is patchy when he gets in.........

Was miles off where he needs to be tonight and I hate ragging on players.

I actually think his final pass is good, not great or excellent, just good. It's a difficult skill to cross while running at top pace, we can all do it when we slow it right down but it's much harder at full tilt as I'm sure you know all too well mate.

I'm not making a case for him to keep his place in the side, I want Robertson to come in now and see what he has because after being relatively impressed with Moreno in pre-season and seeing a better game he's just shown in the last 2 matches that he's still the same Alby we all knew and (insert your own thoughts).

If Robertson isn't good enough then Klopp should go shopping and cash in on the £11m someone was offering for Alberto.

Quick Reply