Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Mario Balotelli (Liverpool -> Nice)

Read 223089 times
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: Mario Balotelli Player Thread
      Reply #437: Oct 20, 2014 04:23:42 am
      Comparing him to Suarez isn't fair, Suarez is the best player in the world (or if not he's top 3). That said he was poor last night, and I can't say I'm not disappointed. He really just needs a goal or two to settle I think, you can tell the pressure is getting to him, I think he'll  bounce back soon, Sturridge's return will help him too
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #438: Oct 20, 2014 07:17:28 am
      Just to refresh folks memories, Peter Crouch took 19, I repeat 19 games to score his first goal for us,  and he turned out to be a decent goal scorer.
      Fingers crossed Mario can find his Grove soon.
      It's true that Crouch took nineteen games to break his duck O_R - what's not true is that he was a decent goal scorer.

I hope to F**k Mario ends up with a much better return than Crouch.  ;D
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #439: Oct 20, 2014 08:04:15 am
      I don't have any issues with Mario, he will get better and more selfless as time goes by and we will see him start scoring goals cause he's got the ability.

Yes he should have put that sitter away but we've seen every striker that's ever existed miss chances like that!

Also in the last attack which Caulker was kind enough to put in his net for us, if sterling's pass was a foot further towards the net I believe Mario would have got to it and tuck the ball away.

He is very close to scoring for us and IF he scored 2 yesterday we would be praising him to high heaven!
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #440: Oct 20, 2014 08:06:38 am
      Appearances 7
      Hair cuts 3
      Goals 1
      StevieGTheCaptain8
      • Forum Ian St John

• 444 posts | 11 
      • Italian Fan
      Reply #441: Oct 20, 2014 08:18:23 am
      Finally someone is saying what I've been saying since he arrived: whenever he scores or not, he really makes me angry with his attitude on the field. I watched him played in Italy for years, I knew he would have done the same. Really can't understand the luck he has to be paid 6 millions per year to play for LFC. How much money wasted. 
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #442: Oct 20, 2014 08:48:34 am
      Thought he had a terrific game. Worked really hard. And showed some great talent.

Or rather the only effort he showed was nailing his own nails into the coffin that is his top flight footballing career.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #443: Oct 20, 2014 08:56:01 am
      I saw him as the alternative to Remy or Bony. An option, a squad filler. But Christ, using this turkey to replace Luis, words just fail me. Pay peanuts (or rather 16m), get sh*t.

I don't think I've ever abused a player while he's still on the pitch. But so many times yesterday, he did something NOTHING and I was just biting my tongue.

For instance, those 3 aimless blasts from goalscoring opports. And most of all, the free kick late on, on the right that led to an own goal. Before it, he just turned his back and walked off. Can't remember if he yawned. He was still walking away, back turned when the ball was crossed and went into the net.

He's supposedly on 90k a week. Thats upward of 200 blokes paying their full weekly wage to keep that shower of sh*t in Lamborghinis.

Personally I think the guy is clinically mental. Much like Collymore and the latter Anelka.
      Lots of talent, but its rarely seen on the pitch. He's regressed since his Inter and early Man C days.

Strange thing is, I think if he plays v Real(big IF) and we make some chances, he might actually pull his finger out of his arse. Madrid will be a shop window game for him. For the next mugs buyers.

Q-"Why always me?" - Balojelly.
      A- Because you're a lazy good-for-nothing c**t, Balojelly!
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #444: Oct 20, 2014 08:57:53 am
      Can someone please tell me why we can't play Borini? I mean he did an alright job at Sunderland and his misfortune here has been injuries. It's not like when he plays our football breaks down when he gets the ball.  :f_steam:
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #445: Oct 20, 2014 09:32:03 am
      Can someone please tell me why we can't play Borini? I mean he did an alright job at Sunderland and his misfortune here has been injuries. It's not like when he plays our football breaks down when he gets the ball.  :f_steam:

Ultimately because Balojelly was hyped up as the big marquee, Summer signing snip and the feel good factor effect.
      If Rodgers dumps him now, he's also criticising himself.

So far, the claim and the reality of Balojelly are completely at odds. Politically, BR can dump MB when Sturr is back and hide the reasons. But before, he can't.

Borini is sh*t, but prob not as sh*t as Balojelly, IMO.

I mean I want to punch myself when I see Lambert, but even I was thinking "maybe I'd rather see Lambert than Balojelly, next home league game".
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #446: Oct 20, 2014 09:43:12 am
      The classic is when we took the quick free kick out on the right and Balotelli still had his back to the play.

He turned too late ,eventually reacted and was no where near the ball when it came over.

So what is the Real Truth of why Brendan denied in the States we were buying him and then ..... we did ?
      The whole thing is a joke.

He is not going to come to life suddenly.

Get rid F.F.S.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #447: Oct 20, 2014 09:48:49 am
      The classic is when we took the quick free kick out on the right and Balotelli still had his back to the play.

He turned too late ,eventually reacted and was no where near the ball when it came over.

MoTD were doing a piece on quick free kicks and opposition players not being alive to the danger.
      The only problem with the QPR v LFC piece was that QPR's defence AND Mario had their backs to the ball when it came in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #448: Oct 20, 2014 10:11:44 am
      Crouch may have taken a long time to start scoring for us but from what I can remember, he was at least putting the effort in and was very unlucky on many occassions, unlike Mario who skies it in front of an open goal from 6 yards.

The more I think about it, that's not the only sitter he has missed, against Spurs he missed a glorious chance from even closer a couple of times and has done in games following that too.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #449: Oct 20, 2014 10:13:52 am
      MoTD were doing a piece on quick free kicks and opposition players not being alive to the danger.
      The only problem with the QPR v LFC piece was that QPR's defence AND Mario had their backs to the ball when it came in.

Thats right Racer.
      That was where it was from.

Though ..we are not concerned with 'arrys problems ....... we are concerned with ours... of which there are a few mate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29683553.
      Article from ex - Toon pun-dit.

A Pundit
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #450: Oct 20, 2014 10:18:32 am
      Thats right Racer.
      That was where it was from.

Though ..we are not concerned with 'arrys problems ....... we are concerned with ours... of which there are a few mate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29683553.
      Article from ex - Toon pun-dit.

Page not found, mate.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #451: Oct 20, 2014 10:30:15 am
      It's crazy to see so many people now saying he should never play for the club again after so many were apparently excited about his arrival and thought he was an excellent buy. Being honest, this is what I expected him to be like.

Disagree.
      1) where was he in the build up to Coutinho's goal? Any involvement?
      2) the game was pretty open. Luis would have taken up position in some of the dangerous spaces. Did he even try to get into strategic spaces and positions? In one attack when the ball was taken into the box, our friend withdrew back outside the box!
      3) too much pretending to challenge for the ball. Loses more than winning 1x1, 50-50 challenges.

The points I raised have nothing to do with BR or any team mate. It's individual work ethic mate. With that I have to disagree with you for once.

The first point is one that I disagree with. Why did he have to be involved in Coutinho's goal? It wasn't on his side of the pitch for starters and  we scored anyway so no point moaning.

One of the few things that I do think is positive about his game is that he holds the ball up very well and fends off the opposition whilst his team mates get into attacking positions.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #452: Oct 20, 2014 10:31:53 am
      A lot of his ex managers will be laughing their socks off.What did Maureen say.."he is unmanageable".
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #453: Oct 20, 2014 10:35:04 am
      Realise I might be pissing in the wind, but I haven't given up hope.. Yet.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #454: Oct 20, 2014 11:21:05 am
      I find it slightly uncomfortable reading some of the stick he is getting, that's not really what we are about here.

Has he been good? No far from it, he needs to improve but he is what he is, we knew what he was when we brought him, there was no point believing he would be different here. He is a streaky striker, he will get a few goals in a glut and then not get any for a few games.. He appears lazy but I don't think he is quite as lazy as he appears. His main issue right now is an utter lack of confidence, he needs a couple of goals to take the weight off, he is snatching at chances he has probably scored in his sleep since he was 8.. He is trying to force things as well, not in the right position when hitting them as he is that desperate to get goals.
      He will be better when Sturridge is back, he will work far better off of someone of Daniels ability to link up and occupy defenders.

Is he my cup of tea? Not really, I'd have gone after many before ending at his name.. But he seems a nice kid who is lacking in confidence in front of goal right now. I'm not sure how it will turn out, he won't get anywhere near the levels of a Suarez but I never thought he would. Studge being injured has hurt us in many ways, helping Mario is one.

The stick he is getting for the Dunne og is over the top though, everyone stopped, apart from the two who took the free kick quickly.. Dunne was looking elsewhere as well which is why he fell over his own feet.. 9 times out of 10 we wait for Steven to put in a dead ball.. On his heels? Yes, but so were 19 other players and 99% of the crowd.
      Good thinking by our boys, not criticism of one player
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #455: Oct 20, 2014 11:38:47 am
      To those complaining about Balotelli not being 'aware' for the quick free kick; stop being ridiculous. The only two players on the pitch aware that kick is going to be taken quickly are Raheem and Johnson. Even Sterling is not going to take it quickly before Johnson urges him to do it. Balotelli ends up distracting the defence, as Dunne is looking away from the ball, at Mario who's behind him. Look who's also going to tap it in (probably, anyway ;)) from 3 yards if Dunne missed that ball.

Criticise him for that horrendous sitter, or a generally lacklustre performance, but saying he's crap cause he turned his back on the freekick is ridiculous. As PD says above so did everyone else!

I for one won't write him off quite as quickly as some seem to be doing. Admittedly though he has been well below average at a time when we needed him to step up and perform.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #456: Oct 20, 2014 11:41:48 am
      There is a player in there somewhere but he is way below par at the moment. He just needs a couple of goals and I'm sure he will look 10x the player yesterday.
      One thing he will never be is a prolific striker, he never has been all his career.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #457: Oct 20, 2014 12:15:33 pm
      Disagree completely. He deserves every bit of stick he's getting after that performance yesterday, it was embarrassing on every level.

No movement
      No desire
      No passion
      Selfish
      Disinterested
      Nonchalant
      Spoiled
      Sulking

I can get over the sitter miss without a problem, I can forget the pre-schoolboy level of awareness on the quick free kick. I can't abide the lack of effort shown and the constant shooting from every angle imaginable. His team-mates were rightly losing patience with him, people like Lallana and Sterling, not berty big bollocks but players that try hard and expect the same in return.

Not good enough Balotelli, not even close to good enough, sort yourself out or find somewhere else to parade your sulk show.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #458: Oct 20, 2014 01:27:06 pm
      told him, if you played with me 10 years ago I would give you every day maybe one punch in your head. There are different ways to help a guy like Mario. I don't speak with him every day, otherwise I would need a psychologist, but I speak with him because I don't want him to lose his quality. If Mario is not one of the best players in the world it will be his fault, because he has everything. Mario can be one of the top players in Europe. I don't want him .
      This was Mancini's view of him.What made Brendan think he could do what Maureen or Mancini couldn't do.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #459: Oct 20, 2014 01:40:37 pm

Fixed It .....  this way .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/

Go To Article ..

MOTD2 analysis: How lucky Liverpool let Balotelli off the hook

MOTD2 pundit Alan Shearer expands on his TV analysis of how Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli had a day to forget as his side struggled in attack and at the back during their dramatic late win over QPR at Loftus Road on Sunday.
      Liverpool were very fortunate to beat QPR 3-2 on Sunday, and their poor performance highlighted the problems Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is having up front and with his new-look defence.
      At times Liverpool were all over the place at the back at Loftus Road, and I was very surprised at how easily they were bullied.
      To say that about a Premier League defence is a very big statement, but it is exactly what QPR striker Bobby Zamora did to the Reds' back four. They were just not good enough in that department.

Up front, Mario Balotelli had a shocking game and has now gone six Premier League games without scoring since joining Liverpool.
      Balotelli's shooting was terrible but what made things worse was that his link-up play was close to non-existent too.
      His general all-round game has to improve massively, but he will get even more criticism for it while he is not scoring goals.
      So he cannot afford to miss chances like he did against QPR.
      Liverpool got away with it this time, and still somehow won the game thanks to two own goals, but they will not always be so lucky.
      Lack of goals made worse by lack of effort

It is not as if Balotelli does not have the ability, the problem is that we do not see it often enough.
      When he was at Manchester City he showed flashes of what he could do, but we have not seen him do it this season yet.
      His only goal since signing for Liverpool came against Ludogorets in the Champions League, more than a month ago.
      At times, such as at Loftus Road on Sunday, he does not help himself because on the pitch he can look, at best, frustrated and, at worse, uninterested.
      I know that nonchalance is part of his personality but it does not send out a great message when he is not playing well.
      I did feel a bit sorry for him early on against QPR because he was not getting much service.
      As a former striker I know that is tough. When it happens, you tend to drop deeper and go wider in search of the ball, which is what Balotelli was doing.

But then your team-mates argue that they need you to show more for them up front and offer a presence, even if the service you are getting is not good enough.
      That was what happened on Sunday. I saw the Liverpool players' arms going up and down as if to say 'where are you?'.

My sympathy did not last long, though. When Balotelli did get the ball in the first half, he showed why he is the player to have had the most shots in the Premier League this season without finding the net.

Shooting wildly from distance instead of playing team-mates in, which is what he was doing against QPR, showed how desperate Balotelli is for a goal.
      But, from the rest of his performance, there is no way you could accuse him of trying too hard. Far from it in fact.
      He allowed QPR defender Richard Dunne to dominate him far too easily for most of the match, without putting up much of a fight.

And his misses, including the great chance he had in the second half when Alex McCarthy parried Adam Lallana's shot into his path, were down to poor play. That is the story of his Liverpool career so far.

There is even more focus on Balotelli at the moment because of Daniel Sturridge's continuing absence through injury.
      We already knew the Reds would have to cope without Luis Suarez this season but, at the moment, they are trying to repeat their brilliant form from last season without either of the men who scored most of their goals. It is not happening for them.

There is no way Balotelli can replace Suarez, and not just because he is a completely different type of player - when it comes to ability, only Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo or maybe Aguero could ever do that.
      Balotelli is certainly not in that class but, right now, he is not playing at anywhere near the top of his own game either.
      It is down to Rodgers to decide how many more chances to give him before dropping him, and he will know better than anyone how Balotelli is dealing with his loss of form.
      But I am only judging Balotelli on his performances and, at the moment, they are not good enough.
      Of course, he can still turn things around, but it is down to him to make that happen.
      When I needed a goal or was short of form, getting back to my best always started with me working hard. That is where goals come from.
      If Balotelli does that, and also looks interested, that would be a start. Then, if the goals start flowing too, he will have everyone on his side.
      Liverpool have problems at the back too

If things had panned out differently, and Zamora had scored the goal his performance deserved, Sunday's game could have been a tale of two centre-forwards.
      The contrast between Balotelli's effort and impact in Liverpool's attack and the way Zamora led the line for QPR could not have been greater.
      Zamora was brilliant. He bullied Liverpool's back four and his strike partner Charlie Austin caused them lots of problems too.

Liverpool struggled defensively last season and Rodgers spent heavily in the summer to try to put that right.
      From what I saw against QPR, he has not managed it yet. In fact, they look worse at the back than they were last season, despite the new additions.
      One of the things I thought they were missing when they went so close to winning the title was a leader in defence - a really domineering centre-back. Well, they still have not got one of those.
      Dejan Lovren cost £20m from Southampton but, like Balotelli, he has not started his Liverpool career very well and he was given a torrid time by Zamora, who was making his first Premier League start of the season.
      Zamora did almost all his work on the right, so he was up against Lovren on the left of Liverpool's defence, and brushed him aside far too easily.
      As a striker, I always knew when I had the beating of a centre-back in the air and I wanted the ball put there all the time.
      Zamora knew he could bully Lovren and he looked for the ball every time QPR were in possession.

He won most of the headers he went for but he was stronger than Lovren full-stop, pushing him off the ball and also running in behind him. That would really concern me if I was the Liverpool manager.
      The rest of the Reds defence was hardly rock solid either. If QPR could finish, they would have scored four or five goals, not two - and there would have been no coming back for the visitors.
      Rodgers ended up leaving with the three points but the bigger picture is that he has got a lot to think about, in defence and attack.
      His side will not win the Premier League this year - as far as I am concerned there is no chance of that.
      His focus, I am sure, is on finishing in the top four again and staying in the Champions League next season but Liverpool will not manage that unless they sort out their problems, and quickly.

Quick Reply