Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Mario Balotelli (Liverpool -> Nice)

Read 224503 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Mario Balotelli Player Thread
      Reply #1127: Feb 20, 2015 12:19:31 pm
      It was of course correct for Balotelli to take the penalty instead of Henderson, has Henderson ever actually taken a penalty for us or anybody else?

It was also disgraceful of Stevie to call Balotelli disrespectful, he was probably just jealous at how good a penalty it was, perfect in my opinion, and how much better the team is without him in it.

Overall I think the introduction of Raheem and Mario was very clever from Brendan and tilted the game in our favour.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1128: Feb 20, 2015 01:56:09 pm
      I was worried of that kind of behavior to be honest. I never really thought about his ability because he is great striker. But as I said this morning, I have to agree with Balo on this one. He is a proven penalty taker. I disagree with Sturridge refusing to celebrate.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1129: Feb 20, 2015 02:06:06 pm
      I just want to see him and Sturridge together now this sat and not keep seeing him come on for the end of the game, but he's got us winners from the bench so maybe BR dont want to change that.
      has to start sat he sparked life into the game when he came on so give him a chance as a strike duo
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 977 
      Reply #1130: Feb 20, 2015 02:09:03 pm
      It was also disgraceful of Stevie to call Balotelli disrespectful, he was probably just jealous at how good a penalty it was, perfect in my opinion, and how much better the team is without him in it.

That comment is disgraceful....

Forget about the penalty for a second, that was Mario's best performance in a red shirt by a country mile. From the moment he came on he looked at it, and even his press and defending set-pieces was pretty good. He released it quickly and perceptively, and won three or four dangerous free kicks around their box. If he played like that every game, he'd be worth every penny of the fee.

He has put in 3 good appearances in a row. He has been working hard off the ball, pressing to win it back, and making smarter decisions when in possession. If he carries on like this then he will be a big player for us.

Balotelli was right to take the penalty as he is the most experienced player we have behind Stevie. Hendo obviously wants to have the responsibility as he is the new captain, but he needs to realize that he is behind Mario in the penalty order. Brendan needs to have a chat with all 3 (Balotelli, Studge, and Hendo) to make sure this gets resolved quickly and doesn't affect our team chemistry in the upcoming game against the Saints.
      HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #1131: Feb 20, 2015 02:09:31 pm
      Good shift, good week. Let's hope there's more to come and Jamie Redknapp can f...k off.
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 977 
      Reply #1132: Feb 20, 2015 08:18:55 pm
      Good shift, good week. Let's hope there's more to come and Jamie Redknapp can f...k off.

Just seen his comments.... What a F***ing tw*t!!

Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1133: Feb 20, 2015 08:48:33 pm
      Forget about the penalty for a second, that was Mario's best performance in a red shirt by a country mile. From the moment he came on he looked at it, and even his press and defending set-pieces was pretty good. He released it quickly and perceptively, and won three or four dangerous free kicks around their box. If he played like that every game, he'd be worth every penny of the fee.

My thoughts also mate, he was excellent when he came on last night, offered us a real physical presence, showed a Good awareness of his teammates and held the ball up superbly. It's funny because I don't think he works as a lone frontman, I wouldn't fancy him in a 4-4-2 either but if we're three at the back and a midfield five it works. It hides his deficiencies (ie. a lack of work rate/movement to maximise his opportunities to get on the ball and his lacks of genuine interest to press the ball) and promotes his strengths of being an exceptionally skilful player for such a big/strong bugger and with Studge playing on the shoulder it gives him the freedom to drop off or pull out to the wings as he likes to do.

It's been a promising return to the side, I'm not getting carried away and neither would I start him at St Mary's on Sunday but maybe, just maybe Mario can be a success after all.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1134: Feb 20, 2015 08:56:18 pm
      It was of course correct for Balotelli to take the penalty instead of Henderson, has Henderson ever actually taken a penalty for us or anybody else?

Overall I think the introduction of Raheem and Mario was very clever from Brendan and tilted the game in our favour.

Bit F***ing strong about Gerrard there mate.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1135: Feb 20, 2015 11:01:40 pm
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1136: Feb 20, 2015 11:19:24 pm
      Best week of his Liverpool career and he's being criticised. Baffled to say the least. Does Brendan say the same to Lambert, in regards to pressing? Because he should.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3906 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1137: Feb 20, 2015 11:24:35 pm
      What he should be saying is grow the beard out.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1138: Feb 20, 2015 11:37:10 pm
      Best week of his Liverpool career and he's being criticised. Baffled to say the least. Does Brendan say the same to Lambert, in regards to pressing? Because he should.

I agree does seem a bit odd and even Gerrard you could say hardly gets on his bike pressing.

Maybe it's a bit of reverse psychology.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1139: Feb 20, 2015 11:40:50 pm
      Maybe it's a bit of reverse psychology.

I think he is pushing Mario to be a better person/better player and to get the most out of his natural abilities.

Some people blessed at birth with a gift can easily become lazy and content...others simply do not need motivation.

It will either work amazing and this whole endeavor will become a huge success or Mario will simply leave.

Low risk/High reward.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1140: Feb 20, 2015 11:46:42 pm
      What a F***ing fraud Brendan Rodgers is.  Balotelli worked his arse off last night, just look at the play leading up to the penalty, he won the ball in the air, passed it to Ibe and then ran his arse off into the box hoping to latch on to a cross from Ibe.  Then he wanted to win the game for us, he doesn't hide like Allen/Henderson etc, no, he wants the pressure on him, he wants to do whatever it takes to win.  He finally works hard and what does he get?  His manager slags him off in the press.

So much for the Liverpool family eh.

So easy for Rodgers the Fraud to have a go at Balotelli.  When was the last time he ever called  out Lovren or Lallana?  the latter especially who contributes little more than a series of Cruyff turns that slow down our attacks.

Chin up Balotelli lad, we're behind you even if your own manager throws you under the bus to the press.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,447 posts | 6433 
      Reply #1141: Feb 21, 2015 12:10:28 am
      Maybe Brendan has figured out that Mario has to be challenged and that's the way to get the best out of him.

Think it's funny that most on here ran Mario up and down and would have joined in to stone him and he has a nice little run and we are ready to stone Brendan because of his man management. You guys are funny.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1142: Feb 21, 2015 12:43:25 am
      Wouldn't asking him to work even harder than what he's doing now be detrimental to our team (ie. not playing best to his ability)? I really don't mind if his work rate is poor if he's up top with Sturridge, as long as he stays in position and be ready to hold the ball up , staying predominantly in the middle and allowing players to play off him.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #1143: Feb 21, 2015 03:02:54 am
      Maybe Brendan has figured out that Mario has to be challenged and that's the way to get the best out of him.

Think it's funny that most on here ran Mario up and down and would have joined in to stone him and he has a nice little run and we are ready to stone Brendan because of his man management. You guys are funny.

Spot on this.

Most people seem to ignore Brendan said only after the penalty did he stop working. Pretty sure most would agree you give 100% every second you're on the pitch
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1144: Feb 21, 2015 05:30:02 am
      What a f**king fraud Brendan Rodgers is.  Balotelli worked his arse off last night, just look at the play leading up to the penalty, he won the ball in the air, passed it to Ibe and then ran his arse off into the box hoping to latch on to a cross from Ibe.  Then he wanted to win the game for us, he doesn't hide like Allen/Henderson etc, no, he wants the pressure on him, he wants to do whatever it takes to win.  He finally works hard and what does he get?  His manager slags him off in the press.

So much for the Liverpool family eh.

So easy for Rodgers the Fraud to have a go at Balotelli.  When was the last time he ever called  out Lovren or Lallana?  the latter especially who contributes little more than a series of Cruyff turns that slow down our attacks.

Chin up Balotelli lad, we're behind you even if your own manager throws you under the bus to the press.

I think you're completely wrong mate.

Allen Henderson and Lallana don't have Balotelli's talent but they work far harder than he does and put themselves before the team.

He needs to be putting in the kind of effort that Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez and Tevez put into their game. Brendan is exactly the kind of manager Balotelli needs if he wants to be a genuinely top level player.  Balotelli isn't sulking - on the contrary he seems desperate to stay. Probably because he, and the people around him recognise how he needs to be coached to unlock his talent.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1145: Feb 21, 2015 09:27:05 am
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,632 posts | 765 
      Reply #1146: Feb 21, 2015 11:43:55 am

We needed Gerrard.

We needed him on the pitch and if hes out we need him to NOT BE ON TV TALKING ABOUT THE TEAM
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #1147: Feb 21, 2015 12:10:34 pm
      Surprised at Brendan's recent comments. Think he's off in the summer, just hope he can put himself in the shop window by scoring a few more goals for us.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #1148: Feb 21, 2015 04:27:27 pm
      Disrespectful F**k.Scores an impossible to miss goal (yes,thank you for getting into a good position/doing your job) after almost 7 months of nothing and lets it go to his head enough to challenge 2 teammates, including the captain of the squad for a penalty?The fact that this has prompted a gentleman like Gerrard to speak out against a fellow current teammate should be very telling.What a shameful spectacle this,but what else could we expect after bringing this person into our club?

A truly rotten apple,they had to be the bigger people and let the little boy have his penalty or else he would throw a fit.Inmature,childish,arrogant, disrespectful to his own team.Just like Cristiano Ronaldo,except he can afford to be like that,this embarrasment of a player cannot (not saying it´s right but you understand).And the fact that some of us are labelling a goal and a penalty as a "run" for him just highlights how pathetic his production is.All this penalty scuffle following a goal?A single goal?What´s going to happen if he scores a double?God forbid he scores a hat-trick (odds would be 17-1 on that one).

I really do hope,for the image,good name,and honor of this respectful club,and our very own as people who represent this club,that this embarrasing chapter be closed come summer.I don´t care if we sell him for 5M,that´s probably the best offer we´ll get,just please get rid of this ignominious character,it´s only going to get worse.The fact that this was a carbon-copy of the Inter incident just highlights how much of a facepalm this situation is,how naive we were to think he was going to change.Very sad stuff.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #1149: Feb 21, 2015 05:03:32 pm
      Pleased for Mario. He can be unbelievably frustrating, but he has more ability than Rickie and Fabio combined.

He can only wish he had the consistency and ability Lambert has shown in all 4 tiers of english football until he came to Liverpool and saw that dry up as a result of having Balotelli (#I´m too cool to celebrate even after 7 months of nothing) picked over him for nothing in return.He has potential ability mate,not real ability.Show some respect for Lambert and even Borini who scored quite a lot in Italy.

Quick Reply