Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Transfer deadline day September 2014

Read 23320 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Transfer deadline day (and other teams)
      Reply #115: Sep 01, 2014 06:10:54 pm
      So what does everyone think about the Falcao situation? Obviously we were linked to him for a week or so and quite a few on here fancied him on a loan deal (myself included). Is everyone happier that we got Balo or are any of you wondering if a year of Falcao (with Origi to follow next season) would have worked better for us this season?

Must admit I'm happy with Balotelli BUT I do rate Falcao and think that he would have been a fantastic acquisition assuming he regains his previous form and fitness. Bizarrely enough, the mancs don't really need him given they are set at striker and only have two comps to play in
      To be honest, Hull signing Hernandez for 10m who would have came here highlights Origi was a strange deal. We will be short upfront with Sturidge, Balotelli and Lambert as our only CF. Borini will be off to QPR and that money should have been re-invested. Last season, Suarez, Sturridge, Borini This season, Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert... we need 4 strikers and we got 5 hours to sort that out.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #116: Sep 01, 2014 06:12:43 pm
      So what does everyone think about the Falcao situation? Obviously we were linked to him for a week or so and quite a few on here fancied him on a loan deal (myself included). Is everyone happier that we got Balo or are any of you wondering if a year of Falcao (with Origi to follow next season) would have worked better for us this season?

Must admit I'm happy with Balotelli BUT I do rate Falcao and think that he would have been a fantastic acquisition assuming he regains his previous form and fitness. Bizarrely enough, the mancs don't really need him given they are set at striker and only have two comps to play in

He's a panic signing for them and even though I'd have loved us to sign him I don't think I'd have been keen on the amount we'd have had to pay if it was only a seasons loan. Biggest panic signing of the summer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,380 posts | 6403 
      Reply #117: Sep 01, 2014 06:14:10 pm
      We will be short upfront with Sturidge, Balotelli and Lambert as our only CF. Borini will be off to QPR and that money should have been re-invested. Last season, Suarez, Sturridge, Borini This season, Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert... we need 4 strikers and we got 5 hours to sort that out.

Brendan obviously disagrees with you. Go figure.

Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #118: Sep 01, 2014 06:16:54 pm
      Na I got that mate don't worry, hope my tone wasn't too much for you.

Not at all, mate! :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #119: Sep 01, 2014 06:17:19 pm
      Welbeck having a medical at Arsenal. No idea if permanent or loan, think it'll be the latter though. He won't help them win the league so seems a pointless signing. They needed major quality.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #120: Sep 01, 2014 06:18:01 pm
      Welbeck having a medical at Arsenal. No idea if permanent or loan, think it'll be the latter though. He won't help them win the league so seems a pointless signing. They needed major quality.

Panic signing to appease fans. He is not the goalscorer they need. They should be going for Falcao
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #121: Sep 01, 2014 06:18:24 pm
      Panic signing to appease fans. He is not the goalscorer they need. They should be going for Falcao

Completely agree mate.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #122: Sep 01, 2014 06:19:03 pm
      I rate Welbeck, think he can become a decent little player. Still not good enough for the arse though.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #123: Sep 01, 2014 06:19:23 pm
      Brendan obviously disagrees with you. Go figure.
      So 3 CF is okay for a team playing the diamond formation with 2 strikers who also have champions league games?
      AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #124: Sep 01, 2014 06:19:56 pm
      I'm fine with them going for Welbeck instead of Falcao. ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,380 posts | 6403 
      Reply #125: Sep 01, 2014 06:24:25 pm
      So 3 CF is okay for a team playing the diamond formation with 2 strikers who also have champions league games?
      So you don't think Sterling, Markovic or Lallana can play the forward position? Cause I'm betting any of the three can. I'd also bet that's what Brendan is thinking as well.

And who says we are always going to be playing a diamond? Brendan routinely mixes up his formations as anyone that watches can easily see.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #126: Sep 01, 2014 06:26:32 pm
      £6 million loan fee for Welbeck according to the mail.

OMG that's F***ing insane. Welbeck isn't that special.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #127: Sep 01, 2014 06:29:18 pm

That? What's this "That" about? He isn't remotely special.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #128: Sep 01, 2014 06:29:37 pm
      If I'm not mistaken Markovic played in a forward position at times for Benfica last season and with his pace I'd say he would do a tidy job there.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #129: Sep 01, 2014 06:32:53 pm
      If I'm not mistaken Markovic played in a forward position at times for Benfica last season and with his pace I'd say he would do a tidy job there.
      Ah yes, I forgot about Markovic being able to play as a forward.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #130: Sep 01, 2014 06:34:42 pm
      That? What's this "That" about? He isn't remotely special.

I was comparing to Falcao really. As Falcao went on loan for exactly the same fee (£6M). And I do think Welbeck has some qualities that United will miss.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #131: Sep 01, 2014 06:34:49 pm
      So you don't think Sterling, Markovic or Lallana can play the forward position? Cause I'm betting any of the three can. I'd also bet that's what Brendan is thinking as well.

And who says we are always going to be playing a diamond? Brendan routinely mixes up his formations as anyone that watches can easily see.
      I doubt Lallana will be playing there, Sterling would be able to play there but I don't think that would get the best out of him. He's better playing number 10 or on the wing like Coutinho is. I can only agree on Markovic there.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #132: Sep 01, 2014 06:37:16 pm
      Some people just expect us to sign someone just because is deadline day, we made the right signings at the right time, we don't need to panic buy like United or Arsenal, i think we and Chelsea made the best deals in a professional manner.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #133: Sep 01, 2014 06:38:38 pm
      Would anyone fancy Negredo here? I hear Citeh want to get rid so he should be available for relatively cheap.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #134: Sep 01, 2014 06:40:01 pm
      Would anyone fancy Negredo here? I hear Citeh want to get rid so he should be available for relatively cheap.

Based on the first half of last season, yes. Based on the second half of last season, no.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #135: Sep 01, 2014 06:40:13 pm
      Also if one striker is out, our first option will be to play with 1 striker instead of two. 3 (+false 9s) is fine
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #136: Sep 01, 2014 06:43:25 pm
      Why we are discussing a season long LOAN move to milan for Suso is beyond me(according to reports)
       His contract ends next year, so if he is not in BR plan why loan him,, just sell him permanently
       He will be free next season, and with the way italian clubs do these loan deals trying to get loan deals  for free, what does LIVERPOOL gain
      hope this is just a sh*te  rumour

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #137: Sep 01, 2014 06:45:27 pm

Why should he be relatively cheap? Anyway, he's about to go on a season long loan to Valencia and they will be signing him after that year for approximately £20m.

Quick Reply