Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Has Brendan spent well this summer?

Read 11950 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Has Brendan spent well this summer?
      Sep 22, 2014 12:31:14 pm
      Firstly, I know many people will avert and/or dismiss this subject matter by claiming it's too early on in the season to judge. For the more reserved supporters, that will probably be the case. However, from the small data that has been gathered this early on in the season, is there anything you disagree with in terms of the spending by the club during the summer?

I am not asking whether you think this player is sh*t or that player is great, nor am I asking you to rate them (you can if you want). What I am asking is that whether you genuinely believe we have spent well? Have we bought the 'correct' players this summer? Are there any areas, in retrospect, that you would have added to?

My opinion, based on the transfers and from what I have seen, is that we have purchased too many inexperienced players. By no means am I doubting the players levels of ability that we have brought in.

I feel we have done an Arsenal. An Arsenal in the sense that we've strengthened areas of which were not of the utmost importance but then failed to strengthen areas that were truly necessary. I think some of the players we have brought in will end up as fantastic little players - Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic, Can.. but I'm unsure whether we have brought in the right players.

But referring back to that Arsenal comparison, I made a point yesterday that I could not believe we had spent £25m on Adam Lallana when Morgan Schneiderlin may well have been the better option. Firstly, we can play Coutinho, Sterling, Allen, and Suso in the attacking midfield position. We also signed Markovic who, like Lallana, will slot into an attacking midfield position. Secondly, having spent heavy on this area has left us rather light in the more central area's of midfield. If Gerrard were to get dropped from that defensive midfield role, would Lucas then be the next strongest candidate for that position? Or would you rely on young Emre Can to put in a performance for us there?

Your thoughts?
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Has Brendan spent well this summer?
      Reply #1: Sep 22, 2014 12:38:57 pm
      Too early to judge
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #2: Sep 22, 2014 12:40:57 pm
      So early in the season, I cannot really answer this question but I really think Brendan missed a chance to get a Good goalkeeper and a strong defensive Midfielder
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Sep 22, 2014 12:54:55 pm
      Short answer, yes. Time will tell whether the prospective quality he has brought in turn into premier league quality. Young players like Markovic and Can will take a lot longer to show their worth. Just like Henderson, they are obviously quality but will take time to show just how good they can be.

My problem is we haven't bought that instant impact player to replace our most active player. The one that would of cost a fortune and expected massive wages. We tried and failed at some and tried and didn't pursue others.

Lambert on the other hand, was bought as backup to SAS - never as a 1st choice striker. Borini was planned to be sold. Upfront after Balo and with Studges injuries we look poor.

On paper everything else looks good...

Push Gerrard on forward, Allen or Can to take his role.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Sep 22, 2014 12:55:03 pm
      I believe he has purchased well, might not have signed the players some wanted,  but he has certainly fleshed out the squad well.  Whether the players are a success or not, not really the issue and far too early to judge,  but as for buying well, I don't think an argument exists, in terms of positions and depth, to say he didn't.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Sep 22, 2014 01:00:53 pm
      I think he has.
      Hardly his fault that Sturridge, Allen and Can, F**k it even before that, Markovic and Lallana,
      have all got injured early one.

We desperately need Allen and Can back.
      No way Gerrard can afford to be playing 3 games in a week.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #6: Sep 22, 2014 01:04:30 pm
      Could have started this topic without the final two words.

25 players bought for £212M.

It's way too early to judge this summers signings but last summers has to be one of the worst on record.  Even the loan/frees were duff.

Alberto £7M
      Aspas £7M
      Mignolet £9M
      Ilori £7M
      Sakho £15M
      Toure free
      Cissokho loan
      Moses loan
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Sep 22, 2014 01:05:54 pm
      Could have started this topic without the final two words.

25 players bought for £212M.

It's way too early to judge this summers signings but last summers has to be one of the worst on record.  Even the loan/frees were duff.

Alberto £7M
      Aspas £7M
      Mignolet £9M
      Ilori £7M
      Sakho £15M
      Toure free
      Cissokho loan
      Moses loan

Jesus, that was a bleak transfer window.
      Sturridge and Suarez almost won the league on their own.

Without them it's been painful.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Sep 22, 2014 01:10:55 pm
      I think he has bought well even though it's very early to be making such profound statements either way.

As others have said it's hardly Brendans fault that we've had early injuries to important players and some of the new ones, meaning he's had to use players that probably needed more time to get used to how we play and we've had to play Stevie in 3 consequitive games in 7 days.

We now have what Brendan wanted in terms of 2 quality players for each position, the only one missing is a GK but hopefully that will be rectified next month when/if Valdes joins us.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: Sep 22, 2014 01:12:27 pm
      Too early to judge.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #10: Sep 22, 2014 01:52:47 pm
      Certainly when I compared our starting line up on sat against that of city or Chelsea I was struck by its inexperience.
      Although good players, can you imagine Chelsea having Manquillo and Moreno as their full backs average age 20? Borini and Balotelli up front......
      I feel as if we have signed players along the same lines as over the past couple years - prospects and bargains. I think many of them will turn out to be good players but we should have been this summer in the business of signing for the here and now not 2 years down the line. What Utd did in the maket this summer rubbished this notion we have to be continually cautious and prudent in the market - if they, in a state of disarray can spend £30 plus 6 times in the past 12 months why couldn't we make a statement and go for a Di Maria?
      I love BR not having a go atall but the signings made in his tenure could be his undoing, they have been decidedly hit and miss in his 2 years here (emphasis on miss)
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #11: Sep 22, 2014 02:00:31 pm
      If we're assessing the young players, then yeah they're exciting young players. But WAY WAY OFF building a top team around this season. Can, Moreno, Manquillo, Markovich its staggering actually how few games they've played.

Lambert= a VERY average player, and should be backup to the backup really.
      Lallana = I wasnt a fan. For such a key role, we should have been MUCH more ambitious.

Look at the squad and( other than Sturridge+Sterling) its a reasonable bunch of players MINUS a footballing legend.

Compare us to Man City and Chelsea and their squads look like a different LEAGUE.

Since Fenway took over, I can only think of Sturridge, Suarez as being terrific signings. Lovren and Sakho are pretty good. Markovich will be. Can prob will be, likewise Moreno and Manquillo in time. Balo has + AND - pts.  But our whole signing philiosophy is utterly POISONED by this Moneyball and sign to profit crap.

A bigger squad should have been a given, bearing in mind we have big income jump with Champs Lge fball AND with the new TV and other deals. But all we had was our crown jewel plundered to give a slightly strong top 18 or so. And a GIGANTICALLY weaker 1st 11.

If we'd got a proper Luis replacement, the window would have been passable.

Ultimately, BR was forced to buy kids who will appreciuate in value, but will largely be UNABLE to perform at the top level for 2 or more years. Footballing failure and financial "success". As BR says, even after FFP, we have " a third of the budget of some of our competitors". Yet our turnoever and income is fairly similar.

So the question is... what the f**k is going on.

PS its almost funny. The guy who signed the players we spearheaded our season around(Sterling and Suarez) and the guy who bought the bulk of the team (Rafa) were both sacked by our current and last owners.
      BR's signings havent tended to set the World on fire.
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014 02:12:49 pm by AmericanPlant »
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #12: Sep 22, 2014 02:07:21 pm
      Too early to tell. Only Can has shown some character here and not being bullied. Can't say the same about Markovic, seems to be dallying too long on the ball to be effective and hasn't pick-up the guts to take on defenders. Impressed with Moreno, Javi looks decent. Balo looks ok, deprive of the supply, Lallana looks ok, will excel if BR knows how to use him better to link up with Balo.  What we really needed is a world class DM to shield the defence and push Stevie further up the field and BR still hasn't realise yet that he needed one and the train has gone.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #13: Sep 22, 2014 02:07:43 pm
      Jesus, that was a bleak transfer window.

But when was the last time we really had a GOOD window?
      Before the one you quote, we had the "open letter to the fans" one.
      Some inactive windows.
      And the Torres for Carroll and Stweart Sodding Downing window.

To spend 30m pa is simply covering depreciation ie like paddling to stand still.
      The last "good" window I can think of was probably the one when we signed Masch or Torres.
      ie the last time we substantially improved via investment in the squad.

The reality is that our transfer policy revolves around homegrowns or youngsters bought, then sold and swapped around, or sold to fund some modest replacements (eg as happened with Luis and Nando). As our rivals get ever more ambitious (and reap new revenue deals) we insist on this paddling to stand still. Its a piss poor excuse.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #14: Sep 22, 2014 02:10:34 pm
      Too early to tell. Only Can has shown some character here and not being bullied. Can't say the same about Markovic, seems to be dallying too long on the ball to be effective and hasn't pick-up the guts to take on defenders. Impressed with Moreno, Javi looks decent. Balo looks ok, deprive of the supply, Lallana looks ok, will excel if BR knows how to use him better to link up with Balo.  What we really needed is a world class DM to shield the defence and push Stevie further up the field and BR still hasn't realise yet that he needed one and the train has gone.

I actually wondered about having Gerrard in a free lying role. Where he can use skill, perhaps a burst of pace. Shots, and passes.
      Makes more sense than duping us he can do a "Steve McMahon" type job. (Ok he's not played like Macca but I think people understand my meaning).

We are desperate for a top midfielder, and we arent short of the cash for one. Henderson isnt the heir to Souness, Gerrard, Alonso, Masch etc. Maybe he will improve, maybe he wont.

I wonder how quickly Can can settle in.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,220 posts | 3393 
      Reply #15: Sep 22, 2014 02:21:32 pm
      Yes he spent well, however the players haven't proven it yet. Whatever kind of player you wanted us to buy, we bought. We bought English for the xenophobic amongst us, we bought foreign for the anti-British brigade, we bought young talented kids for those wanting us to secure the future now, we bought players in the prime of their careers for those who want the present now, we spent big for those who just like to whinge about price tags, we bought cheap to appease the skinflint fan, we got a couple of bargains thrown in there, we even bought a, supposedly, world class star. All bases were covered in the window.

However, the players may just not be good enough in the long run. Right type of player but just the wrong player ultimately.

Lambert at four million isn't bad but it's not the kind of signing that gets you excited. Don't get me wrong, I said we should sign Lambert last year and I'm happy we did. But Rickie is a stop gap player only.

Lallana is somebody I don't rate and think for 25 million quid, we have overspent massively on. In the games where he's featured thus far, I don't see much in him either.

Can is somebody I like the look of. Hopefully gets himself fit soon and we can get a proper look at him.

Markovic again is somebody I like the look of, quick, direct and a touch of flair. However, what I've seen of him is he seems to drift in and out of games too much. Some wingers are always in the game, Lazzy doesn't look he'll be one of those.

Lovren I was happy when we signed him as he looked a proper centre half at Southampton. Unfortunately that hasn't translated to Anfield and he's looked dodgy as F**k.

Manquillo looks ok but I'm not convinced. At times he looks like a beast, others he looks like the moment is too big for him.

Moreno is quickly becoming my new cult hero. He will however have to tighten up defensively because as a defender that has to be his first priority. Signs are there though that we've got a quality left back on our books.

Balotelli, I don't rate. I didn't want us to sign him, not because of his off the handle antics but because I just don't see the quality he supposedly has. He might score the odd cracker and suddenly everyone raves about him but his all round play isn't good enough in my eyes. We need better than that.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #16: Sep 22, 2014 02:24:23 pm
      If we're assessing the young players, then yeah they're exciting young players. But WAY WAY OFF building a top team around this season. Can, Moreno, Manquillo, Markovich its staggering actually how few games they've played.

Lambert= a VERY average player, and should be backup to the backup really.
      Lallana = I wasnt a fan. For such a key role, we should have been MUCH more ambitious.

Look at the squad and( other than Sturridge+Sterling) its a reasonable bunch of players MINUS a footballing legend.

Compare us to Man City and Chelsea and their squads look like a different LEAGUE.

Since Fenway took over, I can only think of Sturridge, Suarez as being terrific signings. Lovren and Sakho are pretty good. Markovich will be. Can prob will be, likewise Moreno and Manquillo in time. Balo has + AND - pts.  But our whole signing philiosophy is utterly POISONED by this Moneyball and sign to profit crap.

A bigger squad should have been a given, bearing in mind we have big income jump with Champs Lge fball AND with the new TV and other deals. But all we had was our crown jewel plundered to give a slightly strong top 18 or so. And a GIGANTICALLY weaker 1st 11.

If we'd got a proper Luis replacement, the window would have been passable.

Ultimately, BR was forced to buy kids who will appreciuate in value, but will largely be UNABLE to perform at the top level for 2 or more years. Footballing failure and financial "success". As BR says, even after FFP, we have " a third of the budget of some of our competitors". Yet our turnoever and income is fairly similar.

So the question is... what the f**k is going on.

Say I'm senile or too much into conspiracy, bombard me if you like, I won't retaliate. I've said it 3 years ago and I still hold on to my belief that the club will be sold by the owners 5 years from the time they owned the club and the process starts when we get into the CL. Upon owning the club, the first thing that happened was to get rid of those players on inflated wages, which they did, try to get into the champions league, which we did, improve revenue by being in the CL with increase sponsorships and TV revenue, which we did, buy players not in excess of 25 or 30 mil with potential sell on value which increases the value of the club, which we did. All boxes ticked, say I'm mad or too much into conspiracy, we're into the 4th year and it's nearing the 5th.

It's easy to see that 75 mil from Suarez's sale, plus another 25 mil selling off players that we don't need and 30 mil from the owner's pocket, that makes a whopping 130 mill!!! We haven't include the CL money yet. With that money we could have gotten 4 or 5 world class players at 25 to 30 mil each, if there's a genuine intention to win the league. No, we continue to buy average players with potential to grow while our coffers continue to grow.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Sep 22, 2014 02:25:19 pm
      I think if the goal was to strengthen the squad it has probably been achieved. If the objective was to strengthen the first team I think that so far it has failed as we will probably not see the best of a few of our new signings till next year.

I don't believe there was any easy answer to the problem of replacing Suarez, so it is perhaps unfair to compare Balotelli with him. However I do think that we need to be more pragmatic in our approach to games now we no longer have the goals and assists that Suarez brought to the team. Games that we may have won 5-3 last season could quickly become 2-3 this season unless we accept the fact that we are no longer as free scoring as we were and adjust our attitude accordingly.

A long way to go but for me the fact that we didn't bring in a better third choice striker, a top defensive midfielder and a quality goalkeeper may prove to be very costly to our ambitions.

We all want our new players to succeed but I don't believe that we should fool ourselves into believing they are better than they are, or in most cases better than we already had.

ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #18: Sep 22, 2014 02:38:55 pm
      Say I'm senile or too much into conspiracy, bombard me if you like, I won't retaliate. I've said it 3 years ago and I still hold on to my belief that the club will be sold by the owners 5 years from the time they owned the club and the process starts when we get into the CL. Upon owning the club, the first thing that happened was to get rid of those players on inflated wages, which they did, try to get into the champions league, which we did, improve revenue by being in the CL with increase sponsorships and TV revenue, which we did, buy players not in excess of 25 or 30 mil with potential sell on value which increases the value of the club, which we did. All boxes ticked, say I'm mad or too much into conspiracy, we're into the 4th year and it's nearing the 5th.

It's easy to see that 75 mil from Suarez's sale, plus another 25 mil selling off players that we don't need and 30 mil from the owner's pocket, that makes a whopping 130 mill!!! We haven't include the CL money yet. With that money we could have gotten 4 or 5 world class players at 25 to 30 mil each, if there's a genuine intention to win the league. No, we continue to buy average players with potential to grow while our coffers continue to grow.
      Hold it. The stadium development is not done yet. Perhaps when that is nearing completion.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #19: Sep 22, 2014 02:46:17 pm
      Way too early to judge yet 5 games into the season, we have been really unfortunate with injuries. If anything the one area we are still light in my opinion is a commanding CM.
      No doubt the likes of Markovic, Can, Moreno etc will come good, the talent is there.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #20: Sep 22, 2014 03:22:48 pm
      I actually wondered about having Gerrard in a free lying role. Where he can use skill, perhaps a burst of pace. Shots, and passes.
      Makes more sense than duping us he can do a "Steve McMahon" type job. (Ok he's not played like Macca but I think people understand my meaning).

We are desperate for a top midfielder, and we arent short of the cash for one. Henderson isnt the heir to Souness, Gerrard, Alonso, Masch etc. Maybe he will improve, maybe he wont.

I wonder how quickly Can can settle in.

That's what I've been thinking all along, if Stevie can't do proper defending, not that he doesn't want to, then it won't hurt to deploy him further up the pitch to support Lallana, Lambert and the rest where he can be more productive and leave the DM to someone else.

Since BR  has not prioritised buying a DM as a top priority, I'd suggest deploying Moreno as a DM and left back taken over by Enrique. Say, I'm desperate, yes I am, surely things can't get any worse than by having Stevie and Lucas as DM.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #21: Sep 22, 2014 03:31:52 pm
      Hold it. The stadium development is not done yet. Perhaps when that is nearing completion.

Ah ... ha .... totally forgotten about that, most probably still on the drawing table.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #22: Sep 22, 2014 03:37:46 pm
      Was thinking the other day if you could buy any foward who would you buy that can do what Suarez did? I couldn't think of one ?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #23: Sep 22, 2014 03:38:57 pm
      Was thinking the other day if you could buy any foward who would you buy that can do what Suarez did? I couldn't think of one ?

Tevez is about as close as you would get mate.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #24: Sep 22, 2014 03:48:26 pm
      I think if Suarez wasn't leaving we would have bought for the here and now, but he went so we invested all the money into players who will be amazing in 2+ years time! Our team will be

A keeper (maybe migs probably not)
      Manq Lovren Sakho Moreno
                      Can
         Henderson Llalana
      Sterling Mario Sturidge

With the options of the likes of Markovic Texiera and Ilori to factor as well.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #25: Sep 22, 2014 04:16:53 pm

Sometimes you just have to accept that you cannot replace a Bugatti Veyron with a Bugatti Veyron. However, if you were to downgrade from your Bugatti, you may decide to buy an Aston Martin instead DB7 instead. It's still a top motor and is likely to give you a rush of adrenaline. However, if you sell your Bugatti and decide to buy a Fiat Panda and an Audi A4, likes are, you are not going to have much fun.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #26: Sep 22, 2014 04:20:53 pm
      That's what I've been thinking all along, if Stevie can't do proper defending, not that he doesn't want to, then it won't hurt to deploy him further up the pitch to support Lallana, Lambert and the rest where he can be more productive and leave the DM to someone else.

Since BR  has not prioritised buying a DM as a top priority, I'd suggest deploying Moreno as a DM and left back taken over by Enrique. Say, I'm desperate, yes I am, surely things can't get any worse than by having Stevie and Lucas as DM.

Could you really imagine Stevie pressing the opposition for 90 minutes?

I think it's "Stevie, you are on the bench lad" that would be most appropriate  approach.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #27: Sep 22, 2014 04:52:23 pm
      Sometimes you just have to accept that you cannot replace a Bugatti Veyron with a Bugatti Veyron. However, if you were to downgrade from your Bugatti, you may decide to buy an Aston Martin instead DB7 instead. It's still a top motor and is likely to give you a rush of adrenaline. However, if you sell your Bugatti and decide to buy a Fiat Panda and an Audi A4, likes are, you are not going to have much fun.

That's funny

Not in a haha way though like
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Sep 22, 2014 04:56:13 pm
      What the OP really means is "why didn't we buy Reus" and is working up to "when will we buy Reus".
      A fixation which became boring a long time ago.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #29: Sep 22, 2014 05:19:06 pm
      That's funny

Not in a haha way though like

You decided early on not to have an input on the subject matter, so why are you still posting here?

What the OP really means is "why didn't we buy Reus" and is working up to "when will we buy Reus".
      A fixation which became boring a long time ago.

You assume wrong, as per usual.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Sep 22, 2014 05:22:47 pm
      Far too early to judge really. Ask the question around Christmas.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #31: Sep 22, 2014 05:25:40 pm
      Think if you asked this question 1 minute after the transfer window shut 99.9% of this forum would have been in agreement that we had spent very, very well. Hindsight, however, is a fantastic thing. Nobody knows how players will gel, how they will perform or if they will suffer an injury. We've not had a good start, but that doesn't mean Brendan has or hasn't spent the money well, it's too early to know either way.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #32: Sep 22, 2014 05:28:53 pm
      So early in the season, I cannot really answer this question but I really think Brendan missed a chance to get a Good goalkeeper and a strong defensive Midfielder

This.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #33: Sep 22, 2014 05:30:21 pm
      Yes he spent well, however the players haven't proven it yet. Whatever kind of player you wanted us to buy, we bought. We bought English for the xenophobic amongst us, we bought foreign for the anti-British brigade, we bought young talented kids for those wanting us to secure the future now, we bought players in the prime of their careers for those who want the present now, we spent big for those who just like to whinge about price tags, we bought cheap to appease the skinflint fan, we got a couple of bargains thrown in there, we even bought a, supposedly, world class star. All bases were covered in the window.

However, the players may just not be good enough in the long run. Right type of player but just the wrong player ultimately.

Lambert at four million isn't bad but it's not the kind of signing that gets you excited. Don't get me wrong, I said we should sign Lambert last year and I'm happy we did. But Rickie is a stop gap player only.

Lallana is somebody I don't rate and think for 25 million quid, we have overspent massively on. In the games where he's featured thus far, I don't see much in him either.

Can is somebody I like the look of. Hopefully gets himself fit soon and we can get a proper look at him.

Markovic again is somebody I like the look of, quick, direct and a touch of flair. However, what I've seen of him is he seems to drift in and out of games too much. Some wingers are always in the game, Lazzy doesn't look he'll be one of those.

Lovren I was happy when we signed him as he looked a proper centre half at Southampton. Unfortunately that hasn't translated to Anfield and he's looked dodgy as f**k.

Manquillo looks ok but I'm not convinced. At times he looks like a beast, others he looks like the moment is too big for him.

Moreno is quickly becoming my new cult hero. He will however have to tighten up defensively because as a defender that has to be his first priority. Signs are there though that we've got a quality left back on our books.

Balotelli, I don't rate. I didn't want us to sign him, not because of his off the handle antics but because I just don't see the quality he supposedly has. He might score the odd cracker and suddenly everyone raves about him but his all round play isn't good enough in my eyes. We need better than that.

Without necessarily agreeing with your remarks about individual players, our problem lies with the manner in which we identify players. It's all metrics and statistics with FSG but they only get you so far and in all honesty, could make a Sunday Pub team player look like the ideal signing if you're simply looking at pass completion rates, meters run in a season, touches on a ball etc. We seem to identify a player who fits our metrics before a scout has ever laid eyes on them, creating a short list of players for them to go watch, rather than sending them throughout the world looking for talented players and only once the scout report on them is back with their recommendation to look further at the player, examining their metrics.

Lallana, for example, was identified as the perfect candidate, ticking all the boxes and so they where prepared to pay whatever was needed to get him to sign, ignoring whether his fee actually reflected his talent level. In fairness to Balotelli, you have to consider that he's a different kind of player to Suarez, insofar as he's more akin to an old fashioned target man. He's a younger version of Lambert rather than another Sturridge-esq player who bangs in goals for fun. He's also only 24 but he's proven himself a big game player time and again. He might not shine for 90 minutes but he will pop up with a singular moment of genius that wins you games.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Sep 22, 2014 05:33:25 pm
      Without necessarily agreeing with your remarks about individual players, our problem lies with the manner in which we identify players. It's all metrics and statistics with FSG but they only get you so far and in all honesty, could make a Sunday Pub team player look like the ideal signing if you're simply looking at pass completion rates, meters run in a season, touches on a ball etc. We seem to identify a player who fits our metrics before a scout has ever laid eyes on them, creating a short list of players for them to go watch, rather than sending them throughout the world looking for talented players and only once the scout report on them is back with their recommendation to look further at the player, examining their metrics.

Lallana, for example, was identified as the perfect candidate, ticking all the boxes and so they where prepared to pay whatever was needed to get him to sign, ignoring whether his fee actually reflected his talent level. In fairness to Balotelli, you have to consider that he's a different kind of player to Suarez, insofar as he's more akin to an old fashioned target man. He's a younger version of Lambert rather than another Sturridge-esq player who bangs in goals for fun. He's also only 24 but he's proven himself a big game player time and again. He might not shine for 90 minutes but he will pop up with a singular moment of genius that wins you games.

You have any links from the Club that this is the policy our recruitment team use?
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #35: Sep 22, 2014 05:51:46 pm
      Think if you asked this question 1 minute after the transfer window shut 99.9% of this forum would have been in agreement that we had spent very, very well. Hindsight, however, is a fantastic thing. Nobody knows how players will gel, how they will perform or if they will suffer an injury. We've not had a good start, but that doesn't mean Brendan has or hasn't spent the money well, it's too early to know either way.

Oh of course it is too early to know for sure, as it could take a year, two or maybe even three for these players to really shine. The issue I believe we have however is coping with the expectations given what we achieved last season. We've set the bar incredibly high for ourselves now so are expected to compete for major silverware. However, the fact people are a little hesitant to judge could indicate that thus far, they have not been impressed by what they have seen. By that, they are waiting for the players to gel and become compatible with the system used by BR. But then how long will this take? Will it take long enough in that we are out of reach for the title?

If the players hit the ground running, we wouldn't hesitate to judge them in a good manner.

Another point I made is why Lallana when Morgan Schniederlain could well have been the better opinion? When I ask if Brendan bought well this summer, I'm also asking whether we made appropriate transfers.

Also if we end up with major GK and DM issues would it be fair to say he over emphasised one some areas and neglected others?

Just consider our replacement GK and DM for a second. To me the flaw is there to see. We needed to improve on these areas but we didn't, and now we're left with jones and Lucas as our 2nd options.

I'm pretty sure some of our new players will come good. The talent they possess is obvious. That's not entirely what I was trying to dispute though.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #36: Sep 22, 2014 06:01:02 pm
      A hotelier was building a hotel somewhere on the Med, and the roof got blown off by terrorists.
      The hotelier rang up the insurers (who are also his bankers and equity financier) and says "can I have the money for a new roof please, Al Qaeda blew the old one off, I think the premium covers me for 75 million". The insurer confirms that his re-insurer will pay up, no problems.

The insurer  then asks "is the decor and furniture ok?" And the hotelier replies "It wasn't there, we're about to install it".
      The insurer, unbeknown to the hotelier, has a friend in the furniture clearance industry.  Enthusiastically the insurer says "ok, well how about we give you even nicer furniture and even better stuff for the decorations, do everything apart from the top floor now, so the rain doesn't affect it".

So the hotelier shrugs his  shoulders and say "hmm ok, I was happy with the contents, but I just wanted to sort out the roof as it'll be a bit of a worry when I open up and when the Summer's over and it starts raining".

The insurer pats the hotelier on the back and says "Oh dont worry about the roof, that'll take a little while. After all, I can give you some *lovely* designer lampshades and beds to go with this decor I've found. And my word is my bond, no need for me to confirm it in writing".

Slightly bemused, the hotelier nods his  head, and waits for the cheque for the new roof to appear. And waits. And waits. And waits. He doesn't hear a word from his insurer. Other than on Twitter reacting to the discussions in the media. "Get  a new roof ;D" was the post from a giggling insurer who was over in the USA all Summer.

Eventually Summer's over, and the hotelier goes and visits the insurer. The hotelier asks "why haven't you sent my cheque for the roof, I can't have Winter guests staying in a hotel that hasn't got a roof. I can't even open the hotel. Its a necessity, NOT luxury. What is this nonsense".

And the insurer turns round and says "Come come now Mr Hotelier, look at all this lovely furniture I sent you, its so much better than what you had bought yourself. And besides, have you LOOKED how much roofs cost these days, I couldn't find a single special offer for them. I think you're being rather unreasonable after you've got ALL those beds and bits of furniture.Besides, some of it is retro and could be worth quite a packet in a few yrs time".
      The insurer continues,
      "Anyway, I could use that insurance payout money  to pay down your loan financing with me. Now I can use that money for something else I'm doing. Over in Boston, as it happens".

Completely shocked, the hotellier says "But you have  to understand, I need a roof to make a living. You can't have a hotel without a roof, its impossible".

The insurer turns to the hotelier and says "Come come now, Mr Hotelier. Stop being so dramatic. Stop being so negative, how will others believe in you, if you don't believe in the hotel yourself. How will visitors book with that attitude?"
      The insurer continues, "You've got some LOVELY decor and furniture, ESPECIALLY the stuff I gave you. The walls, the windows, the kitchens, all the rest of it look great. I'm a very busy man, please don't hassle me again over that damned roof. You're being rather selfish I think. After all, I think I've been very generous, AND I've even paid down your debt to me with the insurance money".

The hotelier shakes his head in disbelief and his insurer(and ofcourse banker) continues.
      " And besides Mr Hotelier, I want to see some income before then, otherwise I might have to look at liquidating some of your assets if you fail to give me a good return by the year end.
      I'm a very busy man, please don't hassle me again over that damned roof. I might be able to come over from Boston in January. Maybe if I can get a good deal, we can get you a nice shiny new roof". And he pats the hotelier on the head and departs for his flight to Boston.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___________

This ie like the hotelier is how I'd feel if I was Brendan Rodgers.

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014 06:32:22 pm by AmericanPlant »
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #37: Sep 22, 2014 06:04:52 pm
      I'm fed up with Brendan, how many years does he need to sort out the defence, i'm not going with the popular opinion that losing Suarez is the reason why we are so sh*te. The defence was also sh*te with or without Suarez, the reason why we lost the title. Brendan is f**king blind or not competent enough to sort out our defensive strategy, the main thing that matters when you want to build a title-winning team.

Also, his signings don't work, Sturridge and maybe Coutinho aside, he signed the following : Sahin, Assaidi, Borini, Allen, Aspas, Luis Alberto, Cissokho, Moses, Sakho, Mignolet ==> all flops, there were better options instead of these, like Begovic, Bony, Caulker etc.

Also he chooses to sell Agger, and brings in Lovren, who isn't by no means an improvement on the Dane, and for 20 mil pounds.

Why didnt we use the money received on Suarez, when we had the example of Spurs, for buying 3 major players who can improve our team that fighted for the title until the end, it's not like we needed a major overhaul, just some important additions, instead we bought in 7 players, making a mess of our style of play and flow from last season.

We should have signed Hummels, Reus, Schneiderlin/Fabregas and Moreno (who is our best buy this year).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #38: Sep 22, 2014 06:06:35 pm
      Too early to tell for me.

Be back here around Christmas time.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #39: Sep 22, 2014 06:08:19 pm
      However, the fact people are a little hesitant to judge could indicate that thus far, they have not been impressed by what they have seen.

Tbh mate out of the players who started immediately they arrived the only one I've been disappointed with has been Lovren, considering he was brought in to sort out the defense but I expect him to improve.  Balo, Javi and Moreno have all done fine.

Another point I made is why Lallana when Morgan Schniederlain could well have been the better opinion? When I ask if Brendan bought well this summer, I'm also asking whether we made appropriate transfers.

I know you don't like Lallana but the way I see it is without Luis we don't have anyone who is naturally two footed with the ball at his feet, who finds space when there doesn't appear to be space and we're missing his pressing up front.  All these qualities Adam has and no, I'm not saying he's Luis' replacement but he does replace some of his qualities.

As for this DM debate that keeps being brought up, Brendan does not play with a DM so whether we keep discussing it or not, getting one will not happen under Brendan.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #40: Sep 22, 2014 06:11:30 pm
      Emre Can may become the best buy if he stays healthy and if Brendan has the balls to use him in Gerrard's place.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #41: Sep 22, 2014 06:22:16 pm
      You decided early on not to have an input on the subject matter, so why are you still posting here?

I did have an input Nel
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Sep 22, 2014 06:36:31 pm
      Too early to really say. Think have made some good signings in defense. But the jury is still out on the midfield and striker signings.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #43: Sep 22, 2014 06:43:50 pm
      We've done well in upgrading our fullbacks, actually bringing in some proper wingers and getting a backup forward and CM. The jury is out on whether or not Lovren will be an improvement upon Agger, but in his favour, at least he is less injury-prone. I still think we are desperately in need of a quality, established CM and a better goalie than Migs. A better 3rd-choice striker than Lambert or Borini would be nice, but CM and GK are where we could probably stand to strengthen the most (assuming our comical defending is due to poor organisation rather than sub-standard personnel, which I tend to subscribe to).

If possible, it would have been better to buy Remy as well as Balotelli and Lambert and then force Borini out. I also reckon we may have been better off keeping Agger and Pepe and only buying 1 out of Lallana and Markovic, instead using the extra funds to buy someone like Schniederlin. TBH, even getting Alex Song on loan would have improved our central midfield area.

So overall we've done OK but made a few questionable decisions imo.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #44: Sep 22, 2014 06:50:54 pm

This.  Many of the signings look to have good individual quality, but we are having a hard time implementing so many new faces into the mix at the moment. 
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #45: Sep 22, 2014 07:19:09 pm

The worst metric of the lot, is that they dont think of "players and footballing performance". They only think of "playing staff assets and appreciation/depreciation".

They said "Right Suarez wont get worth more than 75m, so ship him out". Manquillo, Moreno, Can, Markovich were all signed to appreciate in value. Balotelli was the cut price "big name" who wont really depreciate much and is on low-ish wages. Lambert was cheap. Pepe, Suarez and Dagger all kicked out to cut the wages.

NONE of it considered what would be best for the team or the fans. You cant field 17 players at once.  So if every 11 you field is substantially worse than last yr, you're potentially fu**ed in the extreme from day one.

We WILL get better with Sturridge back. But the way the Yankster rode roughshod over the fans again was pure dispicable.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #46: Sep 22, 2014 07:25:55 pm

No you didn't. Now kindly F**k off and stop trying to undermine this thread with your bullshit remarks. It's a shame your ban was lifted.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #47: Sep 22, 2014 07:29:19 pm
      No you didn't. Now kindly f**k off and stop trying to undermine this thread with your bullshit remarks. It's a shame your ban was lifted.

I'm not undermining anything lad

I gave my opinion that it's too early to judge the summers signings after 5 games

If you think that bullshit then fine.. I think knee jerking early is too

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #48: Sep 22, 2014 07:35:12 pm
      I'm not undermining anything lad

I gave my opinion that it's too early to judge the summers signings after 5 games

If you think that bullshit then fine.. I think knee jerking early is too

Yeah, and that first post of yours I respected. The latter two not so.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #49: Sep 22, 2014 07:38:24 pm
      Yeah, and that first post of yours I respected. The latter two not so.

Sound

I just found it funny you were saying we had signed a load of fiat pandas in your car analogy
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Reply #50: Sep 22, 2014 08:19:20 pm
      It's a shame your ban was lifted.

Proper c**t of a shout that!

Emre Can may become the best buy if he stays healthy and if Brendan has the balls to use him in Gerrard's place.

No point blaming Brendan, when Can is injured at the moment.

Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #51: Sep 22, 2014 09:37:48 pm
      I said I was pretty happy with our transfer business at the conclusion of the window so it would be pretty cheap to start whingeing about just because we have made a poor start to the season.

Just a couple of thoughts though

- Despite being pretty happy with the Balotelli signing I nam already seriously questioning whether he was the right move. I like the effort he has been putting in and there have been some sublime touches but he is so different to the way we have generally set up to play I'm just not sure it will work.

- I remember when Fabregas was first linked with a move from Barca and most posters in the transfer thread said he was over the hill, a waste of money etc. What in fooks name were they going on about!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #52: Sep 22, 2014 09:42:40 pm
      Sooner or later if Mario doesnt start to score, people will say Welbeck would have been a better transfer =))

I have full confidence that Mario will be a success at our club.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #53: Sep 22, 2014 09:44:47 pm

This.

But at the moment I'm really really worried.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #54: Sep 22, 2014 09:46:09 pm
      Sooner or later if Mario doesnt start to score, people will say Welbeck would have been a better transfer =))

I have full confidence that Mario will be a success at our club.

Balotelli might be a fantastic player but he isn't the type of striker we need, we needed someone who is similar to Suarez (not necessarily on par with his level, but same type of player). He isn't a lone striker and needs someone beside him, Sturridge might help.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #55: Sep 22, 2014 09:48:13 pm
      I don't think we needed to spend £20m on Lallana and Markovich. One or the other should have been chosen. Neither can play striker and when you already have Coutinho and Sterling that can play behind the striker, we really didn't need both.

Borini and Lambert are poor back up strikers to play with Sturridge or Balotelli. We should have got another quality striker with all the money spent. Also Mignolet, if he's not replaced, should have more of a challenge than Brad Jones.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #56: Sep 22, 2014 09:51:46 pm
      I said I was pretty happy with our transfer business at the conclusion of the window so it would be pretty cheap to start whingeing about just because we have made a poor start to the season.

Just a couple of thoughts though

- Despite being pretty happy with the Balotelli signing I nam already seriously questioning whether he was the right move. I like the effort he has been putting in and there have been some sublime touches but he is so different to the way we have generally set up to play I'm just not sure it will work.

- I remember when Fabregas was first linked with a move from Barca and most posters in the transfer thread said he was over the hill, a waste of money etc. What in fooks name were they going on about!

Were people saying that though Scott. I heard people having a similar opinion to myself and that's that he always seems to perform well in slowly ran games when he's given plenty of space but when pressured, basically in the big games, he seems to disappear.

It seemed to me the discussion wasn't if Fabregas was a good player, but if he was actually a great player, considering the price bracket we were talking about. At the time we were being linked with Muller, Reus, Benzema, Costa, Falcao, Isco, I find it funny because he's got a few assists against the small teams that he's being lauded as a great when against City he was pretty anonymous, one pass that almost made is all I saw from the lad even when City were reduced to 10.

We also had Coutinho coming off a great year in the hope he could kick on, we had Suso coming back and the managers main signing, Lallana, who would be competing for his position, most thought the money he would cost could be spent better somewhere else.

I don't think we spent our money correctly, but I do feel we aimed at all the right positions and Brendan got who he wanted. This will allow us to judge Brendan fairly this season, personally I think he's shopped at a store below the one I'd like. If I had lost one of the best players in the world I would make damn sure I had someone close to his talent coming in to soften the blow. A lot has been made of Luis being impossible to replace individually, of course that's true, but at the moment that argument seems to have devolved to the point that we shouldn't have tried to get as close as we can.

Maybe not Reus, who would have been my dream, maybe it could have been a Falcao, Costa, Muller, I don't really care who you choose to pick what I do think is that had any of our rivals lost their star player they wouldn't have been replacing them with Balotelli or Lallana, that I can be damn sure of. I actually think Balotelli has done well with us, but that's being fair on the lad without heaping too much expectation on him, Lallana I think has been poor and while for 15mins he had an impact against West Ham anyone with the ability to move further up the pitch would have because our balance to start the game was so bloody awful.

Overall we bought good players, hoping they'll become great players when we've lost a great player, it doesn't take a genius to work out those sides don't add up and we can expect to regress a little in the league this year, just how far though may depend on our defence more than attack. I think once we get Sturridge back Balotelli will kick on, Lallana will find it easier and generally our attacking play will improve, nowhere near last year but acceptable. Markovic is my worry as I like the kid but think he may end up being this years Aspas/Assaidi for some reason.

So to answer the OP, we've spent over the odds for some players, in time thanks to the current trend of football finance we wont lose out financially on this window but I don't think we'll really see the fruits of it until next year and I'm of the mentality now that I just want to see us get into the CL again by any means necessary, a title shot seems miles off.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #57: Sep 22, 2014 10:05:12 pm
      Moreno, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert and Can are all signings that have improved the squad, the price paid is irrelevant.
      Lovren, Maniqulio and Mario haven't set the world alight yet,  but I believe they'll come good.

Oligi looks decent in a poor league, so it's hard to predict how he'll fair next season, but he looks to have all the right attributes.

Given the fact that he didn't have a blank cheque book, I believe he has potentially gotten good value for money, and has improved the squad.

I hope Brendan's loyalty to certain players doesn't get in the way of bringing these guys getting playing time.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #58: Sep 22, 2014 10:16:16 pm
      Moreno, Lallana, Markovic, Lambert and Can are all signings that have improved the squad, the price paid is irrelevant.
      Lovren, Maniqulio and Mario haven't set the world alight yet,  but I believe they'll come good.

Oligi looks decent in a poor league, so it's hard to predict how he'll fair next season, but he looks to have all the right attributes.

Given the fact that he didn't have a blank cheque book, I believe he has potentially gotten good value for money, and has improved the squad.

I hope Brendan's loyalty to certain players doesn't get in the way of bringing these guys getting playing time.

Has Can really improved the squad? The lad hasn't really played a game and he got injured, so jury still out for him.

I'm just hoping to God he will be a quality addition.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Reply #59: Sep 22, 2014 10:23:20 pm
      Traded in the hippo for a sporty number, I'd say so yeah!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,991 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #60: Sep 22, 2014 10:23:30 pm
      Come back in May, we'll all know by then?

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #61: Sep 22, 2014 10:27:04 pm
      Has Can really improved the squad? The lad hasn't really played a game and he got injured, so jury still out for him.

I'm just hoping to God he will be a quality addition.
      True,  but from what I've little I've seen of him he looks like an intelligent player,  time will tell ( if BR gives him game time)
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #62: Sep 22, 2014 11:13:01 pm
      Yea, He's spent well this summer..
      I just think he doesn't really know his strongest 11 right now..
      For me , he's cherry picking players each week and there's no real format to his method..
      It's almost like who ever wins the 5 a side in training plays..
      We've seen Balotelli/Borini , Balotelli/Lambert , Sturridge/Balotelli, Borini/Lambert , all in the first 5 games..
      He said in an interview earlier today that when you sign for Liverpool you really should be of the quality to hit the ground running..
      Have we seen that from any of his new signings ?.. no !
      Twatty b***ard injuries have no doubt f**ked up his plans in a way so we can sympathise, can't we?
      It's games like Everton at Anfield on Saturday we're the likes of Lallana, Manquillo,Sakho, Lovren & even Markovic will suddenly find out what playing for Liverpool is all about..
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #63: Sep 23, 2014 12:14:31 am
      There was alot of dick tickling and back slapping on  here after the 4-0 against Dortmund and our efforts in the transfer window were lauded and praised. Now it's the same posters 5 weeks in to the season back flipping on everything even our choice of manager, after 3 league defeats. Common sense should prevail really, you can't bring in nine new faces into the squad and expect an immediate impact people need to be realistic.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #64: Sep 23, 2014 12:57:46 am
      On the subject of transfer business I seen Martin Kelly having another good game on Sunday and he's got quite the fan club at palace already - http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=148267

I can understand why he was moved on although £1M was a joke. To replace him with a 19 year old with zero experience is strange to me given Johnsons travails last season.
      I do feel he could easily offer this team something, perhaps even at CB instead of Toure....shame
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #65: Sep 23, 2014 01:20:22 am
      There was alot of dick tickling and back slapping on  here after the 4-0 against Dortmund and our efforts in the transfer window were lauded and praised. Now it's the same posters 5 weeks in to the season back flipping on everything even our choice of manager, after 3 league defeats. Common sense should prevail really, you can't bring in nine new faces into the squad and expect an immediate impact people need to be realistic.

And that last sentence ties in with the debate. Was it correct for him to bring in NINE new faces?

I for one felt that we should have had a more gradual process of bringing in new faces to this club. It's easier to get 2 or 3 players to gel into a well understood system rather than having the majority of that first XI needing to learn that system.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #66: Sep 23, 2014 02:17:56 am
      And that last sentence ties in with the debate. Was it correct for him to bring in NINE new faces?

I for one felt that we should have had a more gradual process of bringing in new faces to this club. It's easier to get 2 or 3 players to gel into a well understood system rather than having the majority of that first XI needing to learn that system.

Last year's squad was bare thin with no European football to contend.

This year we are in the CL with a minimum of an additional 8 games hopping around Europe. Suarez was sold and two players returned from loan to their parent club so the numbers game would indicate a reduction in squad size. Add to that list a few who couldn't cut the mustard and were shipped out i.e. Assaidi, Kelly, Agger and Wisdom. That's 7 out the door with nine new faces brought in and Suso and Borini not loaned that is not a significant increase in terms of squad size.

No transfer can guarantee success there is a plethora of examples of players setting other leagues alight and coming to the PL and becoming totally sh*te, much like there is examples of players performing in the PL and moving to other clubs in the league and completely struggling.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #67: Sep 23, 2014 07:30:41 am

Look at the injuries we have at the moment and if we had gone by your recommendation we would really be up the sh*t creak, thank God your not involved on the transfer committee.

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #68: Sep 23, 2014 08:43:02 am
      Its strange how Kelly is considered to have lost too much mobility(ok he has lost a lot from his peak!). But Lucas (and arguably Gerrard) start matches.

EDIT: What I mean to say is I think Lucas and Gerrard aren't good enough for a team of Lpool's calibre.
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2014 09:37:03 am by AmericanPlant »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #69: Sep 23, 2014 08:51:10 am
      Its strange how Kelly is considered to have lost too much mobility(ok he has lost a lot from his peak!). But Lucas (and arguably Gerrard) start matches.

You think Lucas would have started without all the injuries? You not think he would have been gone if they had found someone to take on his wages?

Easier to find a buyer for a kid on 20k a week and sometimes those kids who have stalled simply need a move. Best for all party's, when you think in pure football terms rather than trying to find an angle to bash terms
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #70: Sep 23, 2014 08:54:55 am
      Look at the injuries we have at the moment and if we had gone by your recommendation we would really be up the sh*t creak, thank God your not involved on the transfer committee.

Because we are really not up the sh*t creek right now... :roll:

Last year's squad was bare thin with no European football to contend.

This year we are in the CL with a minimum of an additional 8 games hopping around Europe. Suarez was sold and two players returned from loan to their parent club so the numbers game would indicate a reduction in squad size. Add to that list a few who couldn't cut the mustard and were shipped out i.e. Assaidi, Kelly, Agger and Wisdom. That's 7 out the door with nine new faces brought in and Suso and Borini not loaned that is not a significant increase in terms of squad size.

No transfer can guarantee success there is a plethora of examples of players setting other leagues alight and coming to the PL and becoming totally sh*te, much like there is examples of players performing in the PL and moving to other clubs in the league and completely struggling.

Agger couldn't cut the mustard? Our 11 game winning streak says otherwise. He and Skrtel were far away our most successful pairing.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #71: Sep 23, 2014 09:00:34 am

Your right seasons over what a disaster!!!
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #72: Sep 23, 2014 09:38:22 am
      You think Lucas would have started without all the injuries? You not think he would have been gone if they had found someone to take on his wages?

Easier to find a buyer for a kid on 20k a week and sometimes those kids who have stalled simply need a move. Best for all party's, when you think in pure football terms rather than trying to find an angle to bash terms

Obviously the meds checked Kelly out, and he could no longer perform to the desired level.

I would have sold Lucas and brought someone else in. He just isn't the player he was. And he lacked mobility even at his peak.
      Gerrard I think isn't good enough either, certainly in def midfield.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #73: Sep 23, 2014 09:54:48 am
      Obviously the meds checked Kelly out, and he could no longer perform to the desired level.

I would have sold Lucas and brought someone else in. He just isn't the player he was. And he lacked mobility even at his peak.
      Gerrard I think isn't good enough either, certainly in def midfield.

That's not really what in saying but you don't really read people's points you just tell them their wrong as they don't agree with your blinded view on life
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #74: Sep 23, 2014 10:30:27 am
      That's not really what in saying but you don't really read people's points you just tell them their wrong as they don't agree with your blinded view on life

The only one who's got a blinded view of life is you and your Fenway cheerleaders brigade.

FTR Lucas is now sh*t, by traditional Liverpool stds. Terrific bloke, but shouldn't be anywhere near our team. Regardless of what offers we did/didn't get in the Summer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #75: Sep 23, 2014 10:35:09 am
      The only one who's got a blinded view of life is you and your Fenway cheerleaders brigade.

;D

He's far from a Fenway cheerleader mate.

FTR Lucas is now sh*t, by traditional Liverpool stds. Terrific bloke, but shouldn't be anywhere near our team. Regardless of what offers we did/didn't get in the Summer.

I agree Lucas looks way below standard this season but he is only playing because Can and Allen are injured. If we had sold him we'd have even less options than we do now.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #76: Sep 23, 2014 10:36:37 am

F**k off lad

You know F**k all about me as a fan it seems as if you did you would know I'm not a fan of the owners one little bit however I'm not willing to blame them for every little problem that is a problem with modern day football.. Most of your issues are with the game now but you are just blinkered to try to blame somebody.. As I said I'm no fan of the owners but I can look levelly at them, have my opinion on them but not get to the stage where a blind rage makes me look a dick
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #77: Sep 23, 2014 10:38:50 am

I agree Lucas looks way below standard this season but he is only playing because Can and Allen are injured. If we had sold him we'd have even less options than we do now.

He is Si, and your are right that he is playing because if the injuries we have in midfield.

He would have been sold this summer had we found a buyer but maybe most potential suiters see what we do to and aren't willing to take his wages on.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #78: Sep 23, 2014 11:47:27 am
      Was it correct for him to bring in NINE new faces?  It's easier to get 2 or 3 players to gel into a well understood system rather than having the majority of that first XI needing to learn that system.

Yes it was correct to bring them in but the intention was never to play all of them straight away or all at once.  As you say gelling 2 or 3 at a time is the correct way to do it but injuries to Johnson, Skrtel, Allen and Sturridge within 3 games, having won 2 of those 3, meant we had no choice.

With further injuries to Can, Hendo and Coutinho as well as Markovic, Enrique and Lallana all injured prior to the season starting I'd say it's a damn good job we did bring in 9 players.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2014 01:15:11 pm by reddebs »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #79: Sep 23, 2014 12:02:12 pm

BINGO!
      Bullshit bingo that is.
      I got a full house with that phrase, regularly thrown around at anyone who doesn't follow his agenda.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #80: Sep 23, 2014 02:30:09 pm
      Few points and questions I have about this summer's transfer activity

Knowing Reina was gonna leave, why didn't we look to buy a GK to challenge for the #1 spot or even over take Migs?

I wanted a midfielder in the summer, actually, January last season, yet, we overlooked that area, though I still believe we have the players capable of competing at the highest level if the right trio is used.

Balotelli and Lambert are similar players, so why buy yet another striker that's more comfortable playing as a #9, why not actually replace Suarez and buy a forward that plays off the #9? Now we have four #9s.

Finally, Lallana plays #10 and wide left? Why spend 25m when we just purchased Markovic (or did we buy Lallana before Markovic?) and Ibe looking extremely promising. As for the #10 role,  Coutinho and Sterling, need I say more.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #81: Sep 23, 2014 04:10:12 pm
      I like most of our signings but letting Agger and Pepe go has left a gap especially when you see our CB's head butting each other and the goalie watching a shot come cross sail over his head. I think come the New year we will have a very good team its just a case of being still in the hunt for the top 4 then
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #82: Sep 23, 2014 04:27:46 pm
      . I think come the New year we will have a very good team its just a case of being still in the hunt for the top 4 then

I genuinely think we will be Walt... I think the top 2 will pull away and we will be in a fight for 3rd/4th with about 4 teams

But we will definitely be in it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #83: Sep 23, 2014 05:09:21 pm
      I like most of our signings but letting Agger and Pepe go has left a gap especially when you see our CB's head butting each other and the goalie watching a shot come cross sail over his head. I think come the New year we will have a very good team its just a case of being still in the hunt for the top 4 then

I'd say Pepe is a bigger loss than Agger for the fact that Agger goes long periods of next to no football because of injuries.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #84: Sep 23, 2014 05:20:35 pm

Agree.

Migs can be flaky.  Even on the salary basis Pepe was on ....he would have been worth keeping for 12 months when he came back from loan.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #85: Sep 23, 2014 06:06:30 pm
      Agree.

Migs can be flaky.  Even on the salary basis Pepe was on ....he would have been worth keeping for 12 months when he came back from loan.

we sold him for £1mil ?. how much is someones pride going to cost us to replace him?.it just wasn't good business but its done and we look like having to wait until Jan to get Victor in.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #86: Sep 23, 2014 06:38:30 pm
      You have to compare the squad this season and the new signings before making judgement. So here is my take:

Manquillo - impressive performances as a whole. Seems upgrade to Johnson, will compete with Flanagan
      Moreno - Very good so far. Again upgrade on Enrique and Cissoko, competes with Flanno
      Lovren - replaces Agger. Has been mixed so far but did play well last season for Southampton so lets see.
      Can - Extra depth for DM/CM. Potentially upgrade on Lucas
      Lallana and Markovic - upgrade on Victor Moses and Luis Alberto. Extra depth in central midfield
      Lambert and Balotelli - upgrade on Aspas

Obviously there is no replacement for losing Suarez. But in general, we have strengthened in the positions we seem to be look for from last season. So yes, it is surprising we have made a slow, poor start to the season. And no, we are not repeating the steps of Spurs.

We lost the chance to win the league last season for 2 reasons:

1) Conceding too many goals
      2) In the games we drew/lost, we had a very poor bench. So if our first 11 was not playing well, we did not have the quality matchwinners to turn things around.

I would have prefered Remy joining, but that is the past now. Total faith with the manager that he will give everyone a kick up the backside
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #87: Sep 23, 2014 06:47:16 pm
      Well we can summarise and guess all we like we wont know till may so this thread is a bit of a nonsence ,,if we end up relegated  with no trophys then you will have your answer . 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #88: Sep 23, 2014 07:05:38 pm
      Re: Lucas

Judge him fully when he's playing a holding midfield position. He's been tasked with playing a highly mobile role on the sides of a diamond midfield. Henderson does that role brilliant, as does Allen to a lesser extent. Lucas, however, does not have the legs for that, neither does Gerrard. Should Lucas start a handful of Prem games in the lone DM role, like he did at Spurs last year for example, that would be a better gauge of where he's still at.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #89: Sep 24, 2014 08:37:28 am

Agger couldn't cut the mustard? Our 11 game winning streak says otherwise. He and Skrtel were far away our most successful pairing.

Proper bell end  you are.

As per my avatar and signature I am a huge fan of Agger and was gutted when he was shipped out, "cut the mustard" was in reference to Brendan's perception of him.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #90: Sep 24, 2014 01:53:13 pm
      Too early to judge the transfers. We're losing games because we have not coped with the international break damage. We looked terrific against Spurs. Without Allen and Sturridge we have looked poor and a relatively unfit/not yet gelled Lallana and Ballo have not been able to step in yet. Plus Coutinho and Mignolet are really lacking confidence for some reason. My main question mark is around purchasing a LCB when Sakho had such a good world cup (perhaps a RCB to replace Skrtel would have been better), but I am not condemning Lovren just yet. Only Chelsea seem miles ahead but we clawed a similar gap on Arsenal last year. Odd decisions like playing Lucas and Gerrard from this start which never works are also baffling
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #91: Sep 25, 2014 05:46:47 am
      but last summers has to be one of the worst on record.  Even the loan/frees were duff.

Came on to say just that mate.

I can see why a lot of folk are playing the 'too early to judge' card [this season] but if we all waited 'til it was a fait accompli and used hindsight to answer the opening post... there wouldn't be much discussion (or fun). Think of the crack we had early last season re: Reina/Mignolet.

So, in the spirit of the thread - my answer is No.

We didn't spend well and I would say that the fact most Reds were talking about 'consolidation', rather than titles, before a ball was even kicked, is an indication that (more than would care to admit) think the same too.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #92: Sep 25, 2014 06:41:10 am
      Came on to say just that mate.

I can see why a lot of folk are playing the 'too early to judge' card [this season] but if we all waited 'til it was a fait accompli and used hindsight to answer the opening post... there wouldn't be much discussion (or fun). Think of the crack we had early last season re: Reina/Mignolet.

So, in the spirit of the thread - my answer is No.

We didn't spend well and I would say that the fact most Reds were talking about 'consolidation', rather than titles, before a ball was even kicked, is an indication that (more than would care to admit) think the same too.
      Before we bought a player this summer, consolidation was the most likely best case scenario IMO. We overachieved with the squad we had,  and knowing that our rivals would spend again to improve their already superior squads,  and given the owners we have,  It was unlikely that we would buy the type of players that would push us on.

I would say that given the constraints, Brendan has bought some decent attack minded players. I do have faith that when we have a fully fit squad, we'll find some decent form.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #93: Sep 25, 2014 01:23:27 pm

I lost you at the Fiat Panda ............... ;D

Quick Reply