Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

The Raheem Sterling Contract Issue is becoming a problem?

Read 8629 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      The Raheem Sterling Contract Issue is becoming a problem?
      Sep 24, 2014 08:12:42 am
      Real Madrid plot Raheem Sterling transfer from Liverpool as new contract fails to materialise

The teenage forward has become a key player for the Kop club and England but his £30,000-a-week deal makes him one of the lowest paid in both squads

Real Madrid are stepping up their efforts to sign Raheem Sterling next summer.

The Spanish giants' coach Carlo Ancelotti has put the Liverpool star on top of his hit-list after his stunning form for club and country.

Real have been alerted by the fact that the Reds have yet to tie down Sterling to a long-term contract, and are ready to move for him.

Liverpool appear to be dragging their feet on putting together a new deal for Sterling and that will give foreign clubs major encouragement.

The 19-year-old is currently on a £30,000-a-week package that expires in 2017, and the Kop club were expected to reward his progress with a new deal.

We revealed in April that he was in line for an improved contract after his impressive form for Liverpool, which helped force his way into England’s World Cup set-up.

He is currently one of the lower earners in the Liverpool set-up - and his deal is dwarfed by those of almost all of his England team-mates.

But the Reds' boss Brendan Rodgers last month insisted Sterling must wait for a new deal - and that has encouraged the men from the Bernabeu.

Rodgers said: “When you reward young players too quickly – Raheem’s still only 19 – you give them too much too early and that will be their downfall. It’s a big problem because they lose their hunger.”

Liverpool will be anxious not to lose one of their prize assets but the contract will be a concern with big clubs hovering.

Real have cash to spend after selling Angel Di Maria to Manchester United for a British record £59.7million, and have also seen Gareth Bale become a huge success as a Premier League export in Spain since signing him from Tottenham in summer 2013.

The Welshman has even encouraged Sterling to join him at the European champions.

Bale said last week: “If you look at Raheem Sterling, I think he’s shown what a good player he is. He’s starting to perform more consistently.

“If he keeps working hard and doing what he’s doing, then he’s going to keep progressing and the sky is his limit.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/real-madrid-plot-raheem-sterling-4312058#ixzz3EDLCRyI7

This can unsettle the lad. I don't quite agree with Brendan on this if it is true.

He deserves better. Really.
      « Last Edit: Sep 24, 2014 08:29:34 am by RedPuppy »
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Contract Issue is becoming a problem?
      Reply #1: Sep 24, 2014 08:30:15 am
      If we talk about people in footballl being given big fat contracts and roles way ahead of their time, then being promoted as some sort of worldbeaters, you only need look at Brendan Rodgers himself.

Sterling's ability and performance is undoubted. Rodgers in comparison is barely past rookie stage.
      So I'm surprised that he of all people made the comments about Raheem.

And re a sale to Madrid, nothing would surprise me with the scum we have owning our club. I'm borderline packing it up til January after the shower of sh*t again yesterday.
      « Last Edit: Sep 24, 2014 09:37:54 am by AmericanPlant »
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #2: Sep 24, 2014 08:46:52 am
      Now that WE all know he is the least paid in the team and England, Sterling will be at the end of wise cracks from team mates and opposition fans too.

I think he deserves at least £90k per week.

I don't see him going out like Pennant or some other overpaid brat not pulling his weight.

Give the lad a new deal already.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Sep 24, 2014 09:47:48 am
      What he earns in a year would take me 38 years to earn, and I'm on a reasonable wage. Plus I don't get any perks like trips to Brazil.

I'm sorry, but footballers are not in the real world.

I'm not having a go at Raheem, as I'd take it, but F***ing hell.....
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #4: Sep 24, 2014 09:57:15 am
      Now that WE all know he is the least paid in the team and England, Sterling will be at the end of wise cracks from team mates and opposition fans too.

I think he deserves at least £90k per week.

I don't see him going out like Pennant or some other overpaid brat not pulling his weight.

Give the lad a new deal already.

For the potential so blindingly obvious that Raheem has in abundance, to penny-pinch (relatively) on a few grand a week is beyond short sighted, if there is an iota of truth in the tittle-tattle it amounts to a failure to act in the best interests of the club/company/asset.
      Of course it could just be tittle-tattle or the need to fill newspace, but why give the vultures a chance to do what they do?
      The lad's status and any fee can only improve so any monies spent are recouped - meanwhile LFC reaps the rewards of his awesome skills - and his value increases yet again.

A win win win situation, surely by now the owners caution has been diluted with common sense.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,482 posts | 3436 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Sep 24, 2014 10:01:38 am
      The point that people are missing in this thread is that the story says that Ancelotti has got him on the top of his hit list, well that's bullshit as it Perez who does all the signing and to suggest that RM have a coherent signing policy apart from signing the flavour of the month. Another non story in my book.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #6: Sep 24, 2014 10:12:48 am
      The only problem is whether or not Sterling is happy with his wages.  He is still young so earning big money might not be a big deal to him.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #7: Sep 24, 2014 10:18:05 am
      If we talk about people in footballl being given big fat contracts and roles way ahead of their time, then being promoted as some sort of worldbeaters, you only need look at Brendan Rodgers himself.

Sterling's ability and performance is undoubted. Rodgers in comparison is barely past rookie stage.

And re a sale to Madrid, nothing would surprise me with the scum we have owning our club. I'm borderline packing it up til January after the shower of sh*t again yesterday.

Spot on. Brendan accepted a new and improved offer himself. He is also unproven at this stage.

Brendan's comments are also contradictory to previous statements he has made: "if you are good enough, you are old enough." However, the moment wages come into the equation, Raheem is considered as "still only 19", which implies he is too young. But I thought if you were good enough, you were old enough, right? Or does that only apply where it suits Brendan and the committee themselves? Okay let's say 'just' the committee. We all know Brendan is one of John Henry's puppets in this area of the sport.

The idea of having young talented players at this club is so we can cut down on wages so of course, Raheem demanding wages that compete with the more senior members is something the club wants to avoid. From watching Liverpool this season, Raheem has been our star player. He has taken the initiative at every opportunity. He has been the player his teammates look dependent on.

In terms of footballing ability, Raheem is up there with our best players right now. We shouldn't hesitate to give him an improved contract offer. Right now we are running low on top class talent and Raheem is one of them. We are not in a position where we can afford to lose him. I hope we don't F**k this up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #8: Sep 24, 2014 10:33:02 am
      Pay him what he is worth.

Simple as that for me.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #9: Sep 24, 2014 11:17:30 am
      Pay him what he is worth.

Simple as that for me.

What's he worth? £100K a week? £150K? £200K? More? He's 19 so what's he going to be worth in ten years time if he realises his potential? How do you create a realistic pay scale for someone who is by and large, your most talented, most consistently performing player and is only 19 years old? Then there's the structure. What's a player like Raheem worth on the market now? Do you determine it by performances or potential because you're probably going to want a minimum-fee-before-consideration clause in it.

I don't disagree he should be signed on a higher paying contract as a reward for his performances, but it's not as easy as "pay him what he is worth".
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #10: Sep 24, 2014 11:24:50 am
      What's he worth? £100K a week? £150K? £200K? More? He's 19 so what's he going to be worth in ten years time if he realises his potential? How do you create a realistic pay scale for someone who is by and large, your most talented, most consistently performing player and is only 19 years old? Then there's the structure. What's a player like Raheem worth on the market now? Do you determine it by performances or potential because you're probably going to want a minimum-fee-before-consideration clause in it.

I don't disagree he should be signed on a higher paying contract as a reward for his performances, but it's not as easy as "pay him what he is worth".

I'm sure a wage in our current pay structure would be enough to make him not want to leave in the near future.

If it happens to be near the top end of our scale so be it as he is that good.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #11: Sep 24, 2014 11:45:52 am
      This smells of intermingling faeces that we've come to expect from the big two in Spain.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #12: Sep 24, 2014 11:50:25 am
      Sounds like age discrimination if u ask me.

Why should a player be worth less if he's younger? If anything, he's worth MORE because he will get even better.
      He's our best player and deserves to be paid accordingly.

And no I DONT think Raheem thinks "oh let nice John from Boston have the money instead"..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #13: Sep 24, 2014 11:57:31 am

Why should a player be worth less if he's younger? If anything, he's worth MORE because he will get even better.

And no I DONT think Raheem thinks "oh let nice John from Boston have the money instead"..

The best players deserve the best money so I'd agree here.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Sep 24, 2014 12:14:38 pm
      This smells of intermingling faeces that we've come to expect from the big two in Spain.

Even more so when people realise that this is the contract discussion many already had over the summer, and that BR's quote is more than a month old.
      Not to mention it's pretty much the same rumour about madrid that floated around back then as well.

They must be getting bored at the mirror to rehash old stories.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Sep 24, 2014 12:29:04 pm
      He is up there in the upper echelon of great players and will earn stupid money at some stage, can he wait? Would like to say going to Real at such an early age would ruin him, but with their pace he would be great.

Lets hope he is not our next Suarez transfer drama. Fack sake!

A statement from the club saying "Raheem will never be sold" would be good right about now. Fairy Tale!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #16: Sep 24, 2014 12:38:17 pm
      The Suarez and Torres deal have left scars on me where now I am just of the opinion of

F**k IT. 

If he doesn't want to wear Liverpool red then he can go.  Same with anyone else.

I only want players playing for the shirt, regardless of their quality.

(Fully aware Raheem has not said anything to date though)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Reply #17: Sep 24, 2014 12:44:55 pm
      So basically a previous quote from Rodgers has been used to form this whole story.

Why the F**k you lot getting taken in by the Daily F***ing Manc.

F***ing hell get off Rodger's back, he's trying to do the right thing here and not let the fame or the money go Raheem's head, not the first time Sterling has nearly gone off the rails.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #18: Sep 24, 2014 01:00:35 pm
      So basically a previous quote from Rodgers has been used to form this whole story.

Why the F**k you lot getting taken in by the Daily F***ing Manc.

F***ing hell get off Rodger's back, he's trying to do the right thing here and not let the fame or the money go Raheem's head, not the first time Sterling has nearly gone off the rails.

Even worse, it's a John Cross story.

That fat c**t is still at the door of The Emirates awaiting Suarez.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2856 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: Sep 24, 2014 01:11:37 pm
      Hes 19 on 30 grand a week. What does he need to have that trebled for at his age (at any age). In January 2016 we can sit him down and say now you can have 60 grand (if his form hasnt dipped) throw a loyalty bonus if so desired and tell him his next contract will be doubled again.

In between all that he improves to a level hes capable off and becomes one of teh very best players in the world ok then let him tell us what he wants and see if we can match it but come on 30 grand a week should be more then plenty for himnow
      LFCexiled
      Reply #20: Sep 24, 2014 01:25:34 pm
      Huh?

A thread based on an article in today's various rags?

F**k me, unless I'm mistaken the lad has a contract until 2017 so let's not get all uppity because we've lost a couple of matches and start throwing stones like the bully at play time eh?

We don't know what the lads on, what performance related clauses he has in his contract, nothing. The lad could've walked away with 100k a week last season for all we know.

Press speculation that has no other cause than to cause division should not be a good enough reason to dedicate a thread to it.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #21: Sep 24, 2014 06:00:35 pm
      This grand conspiracy by the British press and every other newspaper in Europe to ensure that Liverpool FC continue to lose the best players in the team to rival clubs is now in SuperDrive mode.

It won't be so easy if we did what needed doing at the right time.

Sterling is by far the best so far in LFC. That says a lot.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #22: Sep 24, 2014 06:23:28 pm
      This grand conspiracy by the British press and every other newspaper in Europe to ensure that Liverpool FC continue to lose the best players in the team to rival clubs is now in SuperDrive mode.

I doubt this is the case mate.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #23: Sep 24, 2014 07:41:37 pm
      Even worse, it's a John Cross story.

That fat c**t is still at the door of The Emirates awaiting Suarez.

Ha haaa is it him?

Absolute time served c**t that one. I'd lock the f**ker just for that.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #24: Sep 24, 2014 07:45:45 pm
      And now there are reports of them being interested in Pedro Chirivella aswell.

I particularly dislike the sentence "The 17-year old Spanish midfielder is one of the rough diamonds currently being polished by the Liverpudlian outfit."

It's like as though the tw@ts see us as some kind of feeder club to them.

http://www.marca.com/en/2014/09/22/en/football/real_madrid/1411382095.html
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #25: Sep 25, 2014 04:15:41 am
      had a great laugh at 'age discrimination'. idiot. Rodgers is clearly managing the boy, and you are purposefully twisting his words. he said if you are good enough you are old enough to play. nothing to do with receiving a huge contract by age 19 and losing your hunger by 23.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #26: Sep 25, 2014 11:01:53 am
      had a great laugh at 'age discrimination'. idiot. Rodgers is clearly managing the boy, and you are purposefully twisting his words. he said if you are good enough you are old enough to play. nothing to do with receiving a huge contract by age 19 and losing your hunger by 23.

Well well, another PR parrot.
      Its very clear. Raheem is an extremely good player. He will get even better. He deserves a fair salary, relative to the global standards. The money he brings in does NOT all (or in my view in any part) belong in the grubby mitts of the sleazy hedge funders. I'll let you get back to your rounders-ball.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,673 posts | 6966 
      Reply #27: Sep 25, 2014 11:06:54 am
      The opening post left out one crucial piece of information.

The article 'writer'.

Mr John Cross.

The baddest bellend at the Mirror (which is some achievement given the standard of his competitors).
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #28: Sep 25, 2014 11:13:59 am
      Its very clear. Raheem is an extremely good player. He will get even better. He deserves a fair salary, relative to the global standards. The money he brings in does NOT all (or in my view in any part) belong in the grubby mitts of the sleazy hedge funders. I'll let you get back to your rounders-ball.

no idea what you're talking about.

Rodgers is managing a young boy. he has seen kids careers ruined by getting big headed too soon. the salary is a huge part of that. I'm trying to keep this very simple for you. keep calm and trust people who know far, far, far more than you ever will.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #29: Sep 25, 2014 11:19:07 am
      The opening post left out one crucial piece of information.

The article 'writer'.

Mr John Cross.

The baddest bellend at the Mirror (which is some achievement given the standard of his competitors).

Does put the ''story'' into some context.
      The fact that the Real Madrid ''interest'' was only reported by that nobhead and not duplicated by any other sources points to the fact that the journalistic side of things is not an ingredient.
      He should be in court for taking money under false pretences.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: Sep 25, 2014 12:26:11 pm

I suppose from a 'best intentions' standpoint you could say LFC dont want to overpay their youngsters because they want to keep them somewhat grounded. Jermaine pennant is a perfect example of too much too soon.

But yes I agree with the best players should be well looked after to ensure they stay.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,964 posts | 5020 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #31: Sep 26, 2014 05:16:58 am
      It's simple,  BR is looking after the lad's best interests,  only a f***in imbecile will fail to see this young lads potential,  Raheem himself is well aware he is heading for superstardom, and at 19, REMEMBER only 19, he's on £30m a week, 

Yes he does deserve to get paid the going rate but that will come, but we still have to keep a lid on it, same as with any young lad, give too much can F**k them up,

Many lads in his position may think they have made it, but they are totally wrong,  this is where the hard graft begins,  and Raheem is no different, there is no doubt Sterling will get better and who knows may even be world class, I certainly hope he does,
      And no doubt at some point soon he WILL be offered a new deal but until then let's be sensible and keep the lads feet on terra firma,

What pissed me off in that fat kunt's bullshit article is the quote where he spouts 'one of the big club's' come in for him,
      He obviously don't regard Liverpool as a big club, we of course knows what he means but still,  like someone else said, it's like we're deemed a feeder club to those in Spain, 
      Typical sh*te journalism from a typical sh*te journalist,

I think it's the same fat pr**k that was ordered off a beach in Florida by the coastguard because the tide was waiting to come in.

YNWA

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #32: Sep 26, 2014 11:00:11 am
      no idea what you're talking about.

Rodgers is managing a young boy. he has seen kids careers ruined by getting big headed too soon. the salary is a huge part of that. I'm trying to keep this very simple for you. keep calm and trust people who know far, far, far more than you ever will.

Yeah Johnny knows LOADS about football. He's even BEEN to the match twice in the past 2 yrs.. :roll:
      Just look at his "Soccernomics" and Andy Carroll..

Reminds of his predecessor who attempted to sing YNWA wihout even knowing any of the words.
      And called us the "Red Devils"..  :o

Wow real football experts.
      Or "same sh*t, different arsehole" more like.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #33: Sep 26, 2014 12:28:20 pm

Well, since it's the manager who made those comments, and not the owners, I presume what you actually meant to say was "another BR parrot"?

Well, SINCE it's the Manager who made THOSE comments, and not THE owners, I presume WHAT YOU actually meant to say WAS "another BR parrot"? ( edited to make it easier to comprehend for you)

Yeah Johnny knows LOADS about football. He's even BEEN to the match twice in the past 2 yrs.. :roll:
      Just look at his "Soccernomics" and Andy Carroll..

Is that THE guy Kenny SIGNED?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #34: Sep 26, 2014 12:52:24 pm

I was thinking this exact same thing. Barca not so much but Real are masters of disgusting football politics designed create instability in all opponents. Guess what? We have Real coming up in a few weeks time, so wouldn't be surprised if it's all b***sh*t for that reason alone. Real are up there with Manc in scum behaviour, simple as that.

As for Raheem, I actually do think he should be offered a new contract that is designed to incentivise him for the long term in the club. Big firms nowdays give huge deferred bonuses and so on, nothing wrong with doing the same in football. Wages and bonuses tied to performance and appearances. I'd be in favour of this rather than just awarding him a big fat contract. I think BR has a point in that sense, but I don't agree with him when he says Raheem should wait for a contract, I think the lad has done enough to earn it not.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #35: Sep 26, 2014 12:57:30 pm
      He's got 3 years on his contract - there's plenty of time for him to sign a new one. I don't think the fact he hasn't signed one indicates unwillingness on either side, more just both parties taking the time (that they have plenty of) to negotiate the best deal. Its pretty F***ing weird to suggest that 3 years on a contract is an issue.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #36: Sep 26, 2014 03:16:38 pm

Comolli signed. ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #37: Sep 26, 2014 03:42:50 pm

Comolli was entirely blameless and was weighed in for wrongftii dismissal - doesn't that teii you something?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Sep 26, 2014 06:49:15 pm
      IMO it's a tricky one this. I can understand the reasons why Rodgers maybe wouldn't want to give him a massive contract just yet due to his age but at the same time age shouldn't be an issue if they are worth it. I have no doubts in the slightest that Sterling will be worth being one of the highest if not the highest earner at the club but I don't feel he has earned it yet. He has recently signed the 30k contact and had a fantastic season but that's it, A season - just the one. Sure he was looking very impressive before last season but as being a regular and a key part of the team I think he has to prove it all over again this season just like every other player. It could be too soon because the young age and all that money - a lot of youngsters would let it go to their head, I'm not saying Sterling would but the risk is there. Has he proved over a long enough period of time he can sustain this impressive form? Who's to say that if he signs this bumper contract that he wouln't be wanting another one after another impressive season? But at the same time we could potentially put a risk there, other clubs like Madrid who would offer him what he would ask for and even though the club has no obligation to sell, we could then end up with an unhappy player on our hands.

IMO he should be re-assured that at the end of the season, if he maintains and improves this impressive form then that massive contract is there for him with a massive release clause stuck in it. If he gets the contract now then he could lose the motivation to prove himself - note I said "could", again I'm not saying this would be the case but the risk is there.

He's 19 years old, had a brilliant season and even though he has a shed load of potential and started the season very well I think he still needs to prove he is worthy of such a contract by carrying it on throughout another season.

We are under no obligation to sell and if niggles are setting into his mind and other clubs come knocking then re-assure him and open tentative talks around the January mark of the season.

That said, if he signed a massive new contract then I wouldn't complain in the slightest, unless it made him complacent.

We managed his contract situation well last time and I'm sure we will again.
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2014 07:37:24 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 156 
      Reply #39: Sep 26, 2014 07:14:01 pm
      Raheem should be on 90k a week he F***ing deserve it , the club should be keeping his best stars not making them available. I don't care what age he is , he's our best player atm and he deserve a decent wage, 30k for an English international is beyond laughable .
      Just give a new contract with a 90k salary and put release close of at least £60m so the likes of Real Madrid and barca think twice about getting him , otherwise I could see sterling in 2 years time joining Suarez.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #40: Sep 26, 2014 07:19:14 pm
      £60m so the likes of Real Madrid and barca think twice about getting him

You really think that would be enough to stop Madrid and Barca putting up the cash? They have spent £80+M and £75M to get top players (well 2 anyway, Bale was well overpriced but that's for a different topic).
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #41: Sep 26, 2014 07:31:22 pm
      So Sterling shouldn't be rewarded because some others have let money go to their heads?

Bollocks and as if even Rodgers believes that. Scrimping I think it's called.

If I was Sterling, and I was maintaining the high level of performance that I am displaying now and not getting rewarded I'd definitely be thinking about getting my just desserts somewhere else or at least I'd threaten to in order to force a rise.

It's a short career and players want to make as much as they can out of their playing years and to be honest, I don't blame them to an extent.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #42: Sep 26, 2014 07:35:47 pm
      So Sterling shouldn't be rewarded because some others have let money go to their heads?

Bollocks and as if even Rodgers believes that. Scrimping I think it's called.

If I was Sterling, and I was maintaining the high level of performance that I am displaying now and not getting rewarded I'd definitely be thinking about getting my just desserts somewhere else or at least I'd threaten to in order to force a rise.

It's a short career and players want to make as much as they can out of their playing years and to be honest, I don't blame them to an extent.

Pretty sure you might be referring to my post here mate. I didn't say he shouldn't be because of these reasons, I was saying that these could merely be reasons why the club might look to wait a bit before doing so.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #43: Sep 26, 2014 07:38:42 pm
      Pretty sure you might be referring to my post here mate. I didn't say he shouldn't be because of these reasons, I was saying that these could merely be reasons why the club might look to wait a bit before doing so.

No Ken, was referring to the bit in bold in the article in the OP. Laziness
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #44: Sep 26, 2014 07:41:18 pm
      No Ken, was referring to the bit in bold in the article in the OP. Laziness

My apologies  :couch:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #45: Sep 26, 2014 07:44:20 pm

Ha haa should change the couch to a rock  :f_tongueincheek:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #46: Sep 26, 2014 07:56:23 pm
      Ha haa should change the couch to a rock  :f_tongueincheek:

Some people are never satisfied  :f_whistle:

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #47: Sep 26, 2014 08:27:48 pm
      I'd tell him that if he carried on with his current form, then at the end of season they would all definitely sit down for new negotiations. I don't think it would be wise at all to come out now and totally dismiss it and say that it's something that doesn't need discussing.

Weren't there 'fears' last time around that if he didn't get the hike that he (or his agent) thought he was worth that he'd be off to pastures new?

Lets not get into the position like we did a few years ago a la Gerrard where we ambled along thinking it was a foregone conclusion that he'd stay.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #48: Sep 26, 2014 08:28:52 pm
      I think at 19 years old £120 k is pretty good ! Pay him £90k a week now and in a year's time he would be a millionaire at 20 ! Then what . ? Ambition gone possibly ?
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #49: Sep 27, 2014 03:43:24 pm
      I think at 19 years old £120 k is pretty good ! Pay him £90k a week now and in a year's time he would be a millionaire at 20 ! Then what . ? Ambition gone possibly ?

Disagree totally. He deserves all the money he can get now. He is playing way better than those earning £80k/week.

What happens if some bad tackle sidelines him for a long time or worse still, end his career early?

I say pay him what he deserves now. Forget the age, it is his talent and commitment that are relevant.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #50: Sep 28, 2014 07:14:39 am

Fair point. 

There is a time moneyball can go out of the window. 

So he is receiving just a tenth of what Shrek receives each week ?

Pay Raheem the market rate. 
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,530 posts | 1517 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #51: Sep 28, 2014 10:11:16 pm
      Great when he has his moments but his final ball is poor and his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. He's got a bit of pace but he's not taking the ball with him. I don't think he should be starting for us; he's too hot and cold. He was beginning to thrive with Luis in the team, and he might kick on when Studge is back, but he seems to have taken a step back so far this season.

Don't want him to leave any time soon because he may turn out to be world class for us, but right now he's just potential. He's far from the real deal at the moment, despite what the media say about him

Quick Reply