Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124367 times
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #920: Apr 04, 2015 04:26:47 pm
      We did so well since xmas I can't believe how we've collapsed in the last two critical matches. Clearly something is wrong mentally or tactically in our approach to the biggest matches because our record in them is woeful under Rodgers.

Top 4 was there for the taking this season considering how poorly Man Utd started. We blew it, massively. Giving Southampton £50m for 3 average Premier League players before a ball was kicked this season was a sign of the mediocre times ahead.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #921: Apr 04, 2015 04:34:47 pm
      Forget about it!

We fu**ed up in the transfer market last Summer and it has bitten us in the arse.

If we have another poor window this Summer we can forget about top 4 next season too.

We've only got one window right under Brendan so far mate. I've no confidence whatsoever that we're going to sign anyone of note in the summer, more than likely Ings, Will Hughes, Origi, Milner (our marquee signing) and a couple of lads around 20 years old for high fees and low wages.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #922: Apr 04, 2015 04:41:09 pm
      We've only got one window right under Brendan so far mate. I've no confidence whatsoever that we're going to sign anyone of note in the summer, more than likely Ings, Will Hughes, Origi, Milner (our marquee signing) and a couple of lads around 20 years old for high fees and low wages.

Yup and we'll have even less experienced leaders in the team next season. We can forget about replacing Stevie with any top caliber midfielder. We are supposedly looking at Pjanic. Not a hope he will go to a team without CL football.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #923: Apr 04, 2015 04:53:17 pm

No disrespect to those players mentioned, but if say Milner is a marquee signing, then the committee can get to F**k.

I wouldn't waste any more time on these average squad players, and I'd rather embed academy players like Rossiter and co into the side at the expense of average signings like that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #924: Apr 04, 2015 04:54:40 pm
      No disrespect to those players mentioned, but if say Milner is a marquee signing, then the committee can get to f**k.

I wouldn't waste any more time on these average squad players, and I'd rather embed academy players like Rossiter and co into the side at the expense of average signings like that.

I agree 100%.

I'd rather we bought Reus, Khedira, Hummels and Pogba. :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #925: Apr 04, 2015 05:07:34 pm
      Sometimes the penny has one hell of a long way to drop - nice watching it when it finally gets there tho.  8)

Anyhows...

The Blueshite done us a favour today and with a bit of luck, Burnley can do the same tomorrow. The difference between fifth and seventh might not mean much to fans but it might to FSG. :-\

harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #926: Apr 04, 2015 05:28:34 pm
      No, top 4 is now lost. Only thing left to play for is the FA Cup.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4939 
      Reply #927: Apr 04, 2015 05:48:49 pm
      We may well even struggle to finish 5th or 6th if we keep this up.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #928: Apr 04, 2015 07:09:48 pm
      January, February and half of March we played well.  Not good enough.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #929: Apr 04, 2015 09:02:36 pm
      Realistically, I don't think we can lose again to have any hope of top 4. And by that I mean winning every game but Chelsea and drawing with them at worst.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3855 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #930: Apr 04, 2015 10:05:01 pm
      In fairness, to get top 4 you need to show up for more than 1/3 of a season.
      Don't deserve it after the start, and certainly don't deserve it after the whimpering performances against Man United and Arsenal.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,932 posts | 283 
      Reply #931: Apr 04, 2015 11:44:17 pm
      Results vs challengers:

25/08/14      Man City      A    3    1
      08/11/14      Chelsea       H    1    2
      14/12/14      Man U          A    3    0
      21/12/14      Arsenal        H    2    2       1 point
      01/03/15      Man City      H    2    1       3 points
      22/03/15      Man U          H    1    2
      04/04/15      Arsenal         A    4    1

4 points out of 21, with Chelsea away remaining.

Not good enough, table doesn't lie.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,348 posts | 285 
      Reply #932: Apr 05, 2015 12:11:47 am
      Don't deserve it after the start, and certainly don't deserve it after the whimpering performances against Man United and Arsenal.

Can't argue with that, we got back in contention with a decent run but that start has/will ultimately be our undoing. As far as today's result goes, soon as I saw Sturridge on the bench I was worried.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #933: Apr 05, 2015 03:33:56 am
      One big positive I will take from this season is that everything was going wrong for the manager and new young players and somehow we put an unbelievable and astounding run together- we ended up with a possibility of actually finishing 2nd or maybe first if results panned out of course.
      Top four is gone and unless real money is spent in the summer the big clubs above us will further strengthen and we may slip further away.
      I feel next season may be the time that the fans really turn on the owners for real, I don't mean for real in the pop culture slang I mean for real, if they don't invest. And! Tbh, I can't picture them investing because they've lied so much already about their aspirations for the club.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,824 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #934: Apr 05, 2015 06:08:44 am
      It's gonna be an effort of Biblical proportions if we do, sadly I don't think God ( up there) follows us anymore.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,348 posts | 285 
      Reply #935: Apr 05, 2015 08:44:55 am
      Im still gutted from last year, if we, d have hung on for the league I would have let the lads off with a poorer season 5th place and a cup for instance. Its 25 years now and would have loved for our younger fans to experience it......sorry lads just feeling a bit down with it all this morning, ignore me.
      Keldo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #936: Apr 05, 2015 10:12:40 am
      don’t think we can do it now :-(
      Feel gutted TBH - and like everyone else proper down today after seeing the gooners destroy us… seems a million years away that last year at anfield we hammered 5 past them!

They have moved on….and we have gone backwards…
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #937: Apr 05, 2015 10:16:38 am
      Not a cat in hells chance and after that display at Arsenal we hardly deserve to .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #938: Apr 05, 2015 11:05:19 am
      Not out of it yet, there's still a lot of football to be played and those above us still have games against each other.  All we can do is make sure we pick up 3 points every game and see where that leaves us after 38 games.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,176 posts | 525 
      Reply #939: Apr 05, 2015 11:36:52 am
      Not a cat in hells chance and after that display at Arsenal we hardly deserve to .

Billy, while we might not deserve it, and I agree, on yesterday's performance, while there's a chance lets keep trying and more to the point hoping.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #940: Apr 05, 2015 11:47:44 am
      Realistically, I don't think we can lose again to have any hope of top 4. And by that I mean winning every game but Chelsea and drawing with them at worst.
      Gotta go with this, and still hope the munts slip up as well.
       Big ask as they've found a streak of confidence while ours seems to be in pieces at the moment.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #941: Apr 05, 2015 12:48:22 pm

You forgot to mention the Swansea game, where they dominated much of the game and we got a lucky ricochet. That was the start of our current form. BR is too slow at changing things when they aren't going right IMO. The run of 13 games unbeaten had a really bad period before that. We all know that. But why did it take BR so long to drastically change things? Now, the formation has been worked out again by opposing teams, yet we haven't seen a tactical change to counter-act this. Hence 3 poor games with no positives in sight.

Tadders

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #942: Apr 05, 2015 05:54:04 pm
      If our warriors can actually win a few games there is still an outside chance. Utd have city, Chelsea and Everton as their next 3 if they win any of these it is all over - of course we have to win our 3 games.
      I am gutted but it is not over just yet.

Quick Reply