Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Let's say we finish 5th

Read 6721 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Let's say we finish 5th
      Reply #23: Nov 01, 2014 05:51:00 pm
      Those players could be signed by us if we relaxed the restrictions on the transfer system. There's no reason why Brendan Rodgers wouldn't want them or be unable to sign them but we can't sign them because FSG have set out a policy preventing that from happening. Even if they are signed, there's no guarantees they'll be a success no matter who is in charge. Today was a piss poor team selection by the manager, blindly and stubbornly sticking to the same failing system but at the same time, most of the players lacked desire. They have to take some measure of responsibility. The problems at the club are systemic and won't be fixed by changing the manager alone. Wholesale change is needed if we're to be successful once more.

dont think that fenway is a problem, last season we could have won the title, and this year too, if the right signings were made, suarez was signed under fenway last time i checked, sturridge aswell, so if we had a competent manager who didnt go ham with the transfers, we could have been fighting for the title this year too, imagine he signed sanchez or reus instead of markovic, lallana
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 159 
      Reply #24: Nov 01, 2014 06:00:33 pm
      lets say we sacked Rogers then who would be accept managing liverpool with this limited sell to buy budget policy im saying here top managers wise not mid team managers .
      we have to be realistic theres no top managers available and like others said blame FSG for not buying superstars and giving decent wages BR is only part of the problem .
      do you think mourinho or Guardiola would accept managing a club like liverpool with a limited budget ?
      absolutley no , so i'd rather stick with BR even though i dont agree with him than going for the likes of mid managers teams again
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #25: Nov 01, 2014 06:03:42 pm
      Tickets will be booked for a trip to Boston.

I think FSG this time around will look for a experienced continental manager if ever Rodgers was shown the door.

I seem to remember we used to have one of those.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26: Nov 01, 2014 06:07:39 pm
      I seem to remember we used to have one of those.

Yeah but Hodgson wasn't very popular :)
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #27: Nov 01, 2014 06:13:59 pm
      To finish 5th would mean we have a very good second half of season (like he had in last 2 years), as I doubt we'll start having regular results in coming month. So likely Brendan would be kept and after a good spell of results I'd have nothing against (then let's hope no key player depart, and he can have a good whole season, as he looks like it takes him forever to adapt to personnel changes - or personnel to himself, don't know).

Now I'm not sure the owners will have the balls to keep him and bet on his usual good second half to save the season if we are in lower midtable by christmas and out of CL, even if the team is starting to get results in december. And I'm not completely sure myself it would be worth the risk (not if some proven continental manager ready to come just before the transfer window can be found).
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: Nov 01, 2014 06:15:19 pm
      Hard to say how the season will go. And won't judge him till it's done.
      Tactics. formations, selections - spot on in the main last year. You don't loose that.

Imo the main issue is the signings - he's tied his own hands.
      We can debate formations/selections all day long, but on current form Balo/Ricky/Fabio make up a mid table forward line at best. Goals have dried up. And some of the other signings - like Markovic/Can - simply haven't been up to scratch either. SG/Allen/Hendo/Sterling/Coutinho started today - and I would not really have argued with that - but what the F**k does that say about who we've brought in with all our money.

Need Studge back. And do some business in Jan - strikers ( no other position ).
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #29: Nov 01, 2014 06:38:42 pm
      Jürgen klopp or frank de boer ... klopp could lure reus, hummels or gundogan to our team, everyone of them would be a huge improvement, different class than our current crop, bar sturridge, sterling and stevie, also klopp has proved that he can perform, except this season, which i think he'll sort out eventually, under very adverse conditions (losing top players, having alot of injured players), also he would be a breath of fresh air compared to dull rodgers, did you watched his interviews or the passion he shows throughout his team matches ?

Just gonna play devils advocate here. Is that really so different from Brendan?

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #30: Nov 01, 2014 07:24:09 pm
      Let's say we finish 5th, reach Wembley etc, Would Brendan be  sacked like Kenny, Or with the current manager being the present owners' choice would he stay on, it makes a very interesting scenario, with fans split down the middle whether Brendan should stay or go, time will only tell.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31: Nov 01, 2014 07:25:48 pm
      If we finish outside the top 5 and someone like Klopp becomes available I can see the owners getting rid.

Excellent choice Sir.

If we come 5th I hope we are as ruthless as the scum were.

We wouldnt have progressed. We will have gone backwards after a 200 million pound spend and Mr Rodgers will have finally been found out.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #32: Nov 01, 2014 07:41:16 pm
      What would sacking him achieve? He's only part of the problem. The transfer policy at the club is fundamentally broken so any new manager coming in to replace Brendan would face the same problems, i.e. an inability to sign world class players. Let's face it, we're not going to make a profit on any of the players we signed in the Summer and finishing outside the top four would reduce the transfer budget available to the new manager so there's little point in a managerial change at this point.

But which world class players did Brendan try to sign in the summer but fail to get (excluding Sanchez)?

The manager has to take the failure of our transfers (thus far) on the chin, surely?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #33: Nov 01, 2014 07:44:13 pm
      Something that has been bugging me apart from the usual is Emre Can. I mean, what is he, what does he do, what's his role, where does he play?

With Markovic, ok, he's useless, ineffective, but at least I know his role and his job. But with Can, I have no idea what he's supposed to be doing. It feels like one game the Gaffer says 'Ok, sit tight and let >whoever< push forward'. The next it's like, 'Ok, this game, run your bollocks off all over the park and make a few forward runs'

Honestly, it's like he has no set role and it bugs me because end of the day, I think Can might be a good player for us. But for the life of me I cannot tell you what he does, and in all seriousness, I really couldn't tell yo what his position is

#Confused
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #34: Nov 01, 2014 07:45:00 pm
      But which world class players did Brendan try to sign in the summer but fail to get (excluding Sanchez)?

The manager has to take the failure of our transfers (thus far) on the chin, surely?

the 64000 dollar question is what are FSG's thoughts on the current situation.Roy got sacked because the crowd turned on him and stopped going to the games.Kenny got sacked because they are cu*ts and didn't appreciate him but Brendan was there man if they sack him it would be another public admission of they haven't got a F***ing clue
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #35: Nov 01, 2014 07:49:34 pm
      Another problem for me is, all these signings, imagine if they were by committee, well, the next manager is also screwed in that case

But imagine if all these signings were the Gaffers, then this is entirely his fault

However, imagine if it's a cluster F**k of part committee and part manager

However you look at it we seem screwed

This is all down to how that £115m was spent and there is no getting away from that. I've said it before I'll say it again; a manager will stand or fall by the players he brings into a football team.

Again though, we don't even know who does do our signings.

This is Liverpool FC for F**k's sake! :mad:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #36: Nov 01, 2014 07:52:05 pm
      If we finish outside the top 5 and someone like Klopp becomes available I can see the owners getting rid.

Fairy muff but what makes you think Klopp would touch LFC with a shitty stick facing enforced economies and a lack of funding from it's owners?
      For that matter what manager of any credibility would sign up under those conditions?
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #37: Nov 01, 2014 07:56:34 pm
      A manager's position is conditional on results, it's the same the world over. Especially at top clubs. What we have learned from recent years is that Rafa Benitez came 2nd in 2009 and had an awful season directly afterwards. He got the sack. Wrongly, IMO.

Kenny Dalglish had a very good six months when he returned and had a disappointing season the following season, despite winning a league cup. He got the sack. Wrongly, IMO.

Brendan Rodgers did terrific last season, even if it was primarily to get the best out of Suarez and Sturridge because he still couldn't organize the defence. But unless things go terribly from now until the end of the season, it would be a mistake not to give him another season to rectify his errors IMO. I don't even listen to him nowadays because all managers make stupid excuses when they're F***ing up.

What needs to happen with Rodgers is next summer we need to sign proven quality, even if it's only one player we sign. The problem, of course, is that if we miss out on Champions League the PR machine will tell us we can't afford top players or they won't sign until we're in the Champions League.  So we're back to square one with signing unproven players who can't hack the pressure.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38: Nov 01, 2014 08:00:10 pm
      A manager's position is conditional on results, it's the same the world over. Especially at top clubs. What we have learned from recent years is that Rafa Benitez came 2nd in 2009 and had an awful season directly afterwards. He got the sack. Wrongly, IMO.

Kenny Dalglish had a very good six months when he returned and had a disappointing season the following season, despite winning a league cup. He got the sack. Wrongly, IMO.

Brendan Rodgers did terrific last season, even if it was primarily to get the best out of Suarez and Sturridge because he still couldn't organize the defence. But unless things go terribly from now until the end of the season, it would be a mistake not to give him another season to rectify his errors IMO. I don't even listen to him nowadays because all managers make stupid excuses when they're f**king up.

What needs to happen with Rodgers is next summer we need to sign proven quality, even if it's only one player we sign. The problem, of course, is that if we miss out on Champions League the PR machine will tell us we can't afford top players or they won't sign until we're in the Champions League.  So we're back to square one with signing unproven players who can't hack the pressure.

Unfortunately it's worse, this time we wouldn't have Suarez and Gerrard would be likely a bit part player.

Missing out on the CL really could be a devastating blow.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #39: Nov 01, 2014 08:02:44 pm
      Unfortunately it's worse, this time we wouldn't have Suarez and Gerrard would be likely a bit part player.

Missing out on the CL really could be a devastating blow.

I agree, Luke.

But one thing it would definitely do is massively turn up the heat on FSG and their intentions for the club.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #40: Nov 01, 2014 08:05:18 pm
      It's ok as the Europa League winners get CL qualification.... Don't they?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #41: Nov 01, 2014 08:07:54 pm
      I miss Andy Carroll
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #42: Nov 01, 2014 08:55:26 pm
      The way the side are seemingly playing 5th from top or bottom !!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43: Nov 01, 2014 09:22:41 pm
      I honestly think that if we aren't playing a LOT better within the next 6-7 matches then the pressure will really build and Brendan might be sacked. FSG have to get 4th this year and we have the players to achieve it, just not the coaching.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #44: Nov 01, 2014 09:29:16 pm
      I honestly think that if we aren't playing a LOT better within the next 6-7 matches then the pressure will really build and Brendan might be sacked. FSG have to get 4th this year and we have the players to achieve it, just not the coaching.

I don't think they will sack him mid season but if at the end of the season we have looked no where near achieving Top 4 then that journey back from Boston may be a long one.

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #45: Nov 01, 2014 09:30:02 pm
      i don't want us to become the laughing stock of the country, thought that award is united to take in the coming years ...

on another note, f**k me, how many posts do i need to make to have graeme souness out from my title  :lmao:

Quick Reply