Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Gerrard should be moved to centre-back...

Read 4078 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Gerrard should be moved to centre-back...
      Reply #46: Nov 10, 2014 05:34:39 pm
      It's a fair point but I just don't think he has the defensive attributes to play the position well. Leadership, I think he can add that from where he is now, asking him to organise a position that isn't his natural one could go either way.

If we're at the point where we're dropping Sakho/Lovren/Toure/Skrtel for Gerrard I think we're fu**ed anyway to be honest. My honest opinion is that our defenders aren't as bad as they look, I actually think Sakho could be a fantastic defender, right out of the top drawer and Skrtel is average at worst and above average regularly but they aren't coached correctly. Neither are they protected by a proper DM so they're exposed often.

We also have a wing-back in Glen Johnson who takes no pride in getting back to defend and clearly thinks it's someone else's job every time he goes forward, he's been woeful in that position for 2 years. On the other side we've got Moreno just settling in.

To fix the problem properly I would drop Gerrard and re-instate Lucas. I'd also probably drop Moreno for now and get Enrique in because he is much more solid defensively (for now, think Moreno will be the better player). I'd hope for the swift return of Flanno and get him in on the right hand side. In the centre I'd have Skrtel and Sakho and tell Sakho he's the leader, he's staying there and it's his responsibility to organise. Then I wouldn't change the defense for 10 games come what may (baring injuries). We have to start from the back when the front is completely broken, we're left with no choice.

Excellent post. I've always said that there is nothing wrong with the players in defence, they are not being correctly coached.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #47: Nov 10, 2014 05:41:25 pm
      For me, Gerrard is a victim of Brendan's inability to deal with strong willed players. Something we have seen with Reina and Agger already. I'm not happy with Gerrard playing as defensive midfielder and i'll bet he's not too happy about it either.

As far as i am concerned, i would start Gerrard at the top of a triangle and take him off when he's burned out. Seeing him play where he is now is just a waste of a phenomenal talent, especially given the quality of players around him.

I'd rather see 60 minutes of a rampant Gerrard than 90 minutes of a subdued and strangled Gerrard.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #48: Nov 10, 2014 06:23:22 pm
      For me, Gerrard is a victim of Brendan's inability to deal with strong willed players. Something we have seen with Reina and Agger already. I'm not happy with Gerrard playing as defensive midfielder and i'll bet he's not too happy about it either.

As far as i am concerned, i would start Gerrard at the top of a triangle and take him off when he's burned out. Seeing him play where he is now is just a waste of a phenomenal talent, especially given the quality of players around him.

I'd rather see 60 minutes of a rampant Gerrard than 90 minutes of a subdued and strangled Gerrard.

Completely agree hardcore.  While we got away with playing him primarily in a CDM role last year, that was more than likely due to us scoring buckets of goals.
       Stevie's always been an attacking player, and he may not have the legs to play a full 90 at his age. I'll still take 60-70 as an attacking mid. His proper position, and the one he's played most of his career.  Take away his defensive responsibilities and let him do what he's best at. 
       The problem is we didn't address our need for a top DM over the summer. Although I do think Emre Can will grow into that role, but he's young and needs gametime.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #49: Nov 10, 2014 06:26:42 pm

"rampant" eh? Along with youravatar showing a pair of tight shorts is there something you're not telling us?  ;)
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #50: Nov 10, 2014 06:33:14 pm

Him Luis and Daniel scored more than 60 goals last season and over 35 assists.
      take away Luis and Daniel and what is he supposed to do make up the difference on his own.
      I just don't get the anti Gerrard posts I really don't.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #51: Nov 10, 2014 06:36:02 pm
      take away Luis and Daniel and what is he supposed to do make up the difference on his own.

Does "taking away Luis and Daniel" not apply to your anti-Brendan posts then?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #52: Nov 10, 2014 06:42:36 pm

I'd bet my house that Gerrard is delighted to be playing where he is Hardcore.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #53: Nov 10, 2014 06:44:27 pm
      Does "taking away Luis and Daniel" not apply to your anti-Brendan posts then?

does go F**k yourself mean anything to you
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #54: Nov 10, 2014 08:01:20 pm
      does go f**k yourself mean anything to you

Yeh, it means you didn't have the balls to address your stupid point. Thanks for showing that to everyone.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #55: Nov 10, 2014 08:34:07 pm
      Yeh, it means you didn't have the balls to address your stupid point. Thanks for showing that to everyone.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

listen Doris we have already established your a dumb f**ker why expose yourself even more.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #56: Nov 10, 2014 10:39:13 pm
      listen Doris we have already established your a dumb f**ker why expose yourself even more.

"You're".  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #57: Nov 10, 2014 11:40:13 pm
      Sod playing him in defence, I'd shove him upfront, probably be the only player capable of finishing at the moment, certainly compared to that astute purchase that is Balotelli. Rafa said Gerrard could finish his career as a striker yet we shove him further and further back when he has always done his best work in the opponents half. When he took on a more offensive role a few games back (have to accept my apologies for forgetting who it was against), he was probably our best player. IMO, he may be playing bad at the moment and might not be able to do every game running but I'd still have him playing further up the pitch, especially when we don't have a decent striker available and have signed a pretty defensive minded player in Can.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #58: Nov 11, 2014 08:59:03 am
      if we want to tarnish his reputation more and more, then move him to centre back
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #59: Nov 11, 2014 01:10:22 pm
      Slow enough for Italy to consistently beat England?

Whoever said speed was the key to winning games? Italian footy is very slow and much more tactical, and works in Italy. Have you seen how much time and space Pirlo gets everytime he's on the ball? Stevie would be perfect in Italy right now.

It's a hypothetical point, but get Pirlo against Chelsea who gave our midfielders no time on Saturday, he'd be equally ineffective.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #60: Nov 11, 2014 02:18:11 pm
      I'd bet my house that Gerrard is delighted to be playing where he is Hardcore.

I very much doubt it mate. This is the same Gerrard that has been tearing through opposition midfield's for the most part of his career. This is a man who has carried us for the last decade and it must hurt him terribly to see the standards of this Club slip, year after year. The problem for us is that Gerrard has set the highest standard and we are unable to acquire any players with the slightest hint of emulating a tenth of what he has achieved as our leader.

It must be so frustrating seeing players ahead of him that are unable to dominate a game like he can, the thing with Gerrard, as with any world class player, if he sees things blatantly obvious to him that others can't then he must feel like punching people.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #61: Nov 11, 2014 02:27:58 pm

Neither do i get the posts calling for Gerrard out either walton. It seems every time we hit a brick wall that Gerrard cops the flak. It is quite amusing that nobody ever calls Henderson, Allen or Lucas out. It seems that people are quick to forget what Stevie brings to the table.

Ask anyone to name a better passer of the ball in this Squad and the answers never come, because there is nobody better. Last Season everyone complained that we were only able to send Aspas on against Chelsea to try and win the game, everybody agreed that this was not the way to get to the Title. We couldn't expect to win the League with such shoddy and mediocre players in reserve.

Forward to this Season, where we have had a whole Summer to strengthen the Squad. Chelsea come to Anfield and we send on Allen and Lambert to try and get something out of the game. I don't need to say anymore.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #62: Nov 11, 2014 02:37:42 pm
      "rampant" eh? Along with youravatar showing a pair of tight shorts is there something you're not telling us?  ;)

Hollywood, i'm trying to figure out what is more worrying.

The fact that you have turned a completely innocent remark into something sexually arousing for yourself.

OR

The fact that instead of seeing a picture of our greatest player in his prime you are getting aroused by focusing on his tight shorts.

OR

The possibility of a chance that i will fulfill your desire to have your your brown eye punched in until it is blind by myself.

If number 3 is the answer then please feel free to PM me and i'll do my best to make you happy. I can't guarantee exactly which eye i'll punch in for you though.

All three if you are lucky!  ;) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Back on topic.

Gerrard to centre back?

No chance.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #63: Nov 11, 2014 02:51:19 pm
      ;D Stevie to CB? None, Niet, Nein, a resounding No...on many levels.

Quick Reply