Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Martin Odegaard (Strømsgodset IF)

Read 18024 times
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Martin Odegaard (Strømsgodset IF)
      Dec 04, 2014 07:11:09 am
      According to the Daily Mail we showed him around Melwood yesterday....

Does anyone want to pretend they watch him play week in week out and tell us more?
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2015 08:25:42 pm by RedPuppy »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Re: Martin Odegaard
      Reply #1: Dec 04, 2014 07:41:12 am
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11272081/Liverpool-transfer-news-Norway-teenager-Martin-Odegaard-sparks-rumours-of-Anfield-move.html

He has been on the radar since last season, being a fan says Liverpool is his preferred destination.
      Seen in Liverpool with his father and Philippe Coutinho having a meal. 

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2014 08:04:53 am by stuey »
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #2: Dec 04, 2014 08:37:00 am
      I've scratched around and found full games of him and he looks very gifted. Same mould as Messi and Hazard, left footed loves a dribble and very clever!

Think this would be an absolute steal at anything less than 10 million. Anything below 13 would be acceptable but more is a lot on a 15 year old regardless of how good he is!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Dec 04, 2014 09:38:49 am
      He's been the most talked about teenager in football the past six months. A Liverpool fan to boot.

Get him in.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4: Dec 04, 2014 11:42:26 am
      He's had a very good season in the Norwegian top flight playing against Men and holding his own in terms of strength and in game intelligence and blowing them away in terms of skill. He's also the youngest Norwegian to ever represent his country and did ok when he came on. I see a very bright future for this kid and seeing as he's a Liverpool boyhood fan its all good, we really should go all out to get him. He's fill the role of Stevie, as AM, perfectly in a few years time.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Dec 04, 2014 11:50:39 am
      A no brainer for FSG. If thwy want to stay loyal to their footballing model, then this is the guy to purchase. With the prospect he is showing, he could well be worth close to £100m one day.

Without trying to ruin this thread, many players fail to live to their potential and this kid could well be one of them.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2014 12:07:29 pm
      A no brainer for FSG. If thwy want to stay loyal to their footballing model, then this is the guy to purchase. With the prospect he is showing, he could well be worth close to £100m one day.

Without trying to ruin this thread, many players fail to live to their potential and this kid could well be one of them.

Make your mind up, is he eventually gonna be worth 100m or severely disappoint.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #7: Dec 04, 2014 12:10:51 pm
      This kid already looks better than Markovic. Sign him up!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8: Dec 04, 2014 02:50:35 pm
      There's a Norwegian fella uses the pub regulary who watches their league religiously on the satellite. In his words this kid "makes fools of players" over there, but he claims that in the main it is a really low standard (top teams aside). That said, at fifteen years of age he must be pretty special to get a game at international level.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #9: Dec 04, 2014 04:56:51 pm
      the most talented player ever to come out from Norway. Altough our league isnt good, you can still see Martin has talent. Apart from his skills, the thing that impressed me most is his football inteligence. Him being a Liverpool, we should sign him asap. I honestly cant see any why we shouldnt sign a promsing youngster.

Also according to VG, a Norwegien newspaper. Real are also seriously intrested in Martin but Martin perfers Liverpool.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,511 posts | 2871 
      Reply #10: Dec 04, 2014 08:55:58 pm
      Trained with us today apparently.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Dec 05, 2014 11:03:53 am
      Read somewhere today that Real Madrid are going to be "aggressive" on their attempts to sign this lad.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Dec 05, 2014 12:11:55 pm

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13: Dec 05, 2014 12:17:44 pm

He's wearing a green bib, does that mean he starts on Saturday?
      ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Dec 05, 2014 12:21:44 pm
      He's wearing a green bib, does that mean he starts on Saturday?
      ;)

He's a big lad. He can do what he wants.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #15: Dec 05, 2014 12:30:50 pm
      Read somewhere today that Real Madrid are going to be "aggressive" on their attempts to sign this lad.

Not for nothing is he being courted by LFC. somebody at the club is more than confident he will sign.
      He will know of the tradition and history of the club being a supporter as he is.
      RM can be as aggresive as they wish - if the lad has no empathy with that club there's nothing down for them.
      His father who chaperoned him is no doubt red too, job's a good'un.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: Dec 05, 2014 01:23:20 pm
      Hes 15.... Not that fussed if we get him or not. He wont be in the team for 3 or 4 years if ever. Our record isnt great with young lads bought in from other countries. Q the oul "Norwegian Messi" or whatever doesnt matter

Much rather see us linked with a top keeper and 4 good defenders this January
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #17: Dec 05, 2014 01:47:33 pm
      Hes 15.... Not that fussed if we get him or not. He wont be in the team for 3 or 4 years if ever. Our record isnt great with young lads bought in from other countries. Q the oul "Norwegian Messi" or whatever doesnt matter

If we had that attitude when offering a potential £5m deal for Sterling when he was 15 we'd be without arguably our best player right now.

The January window isn't open yet so it would be pure speculation as to whom we are looking at in that regard, whereas this lad is available now.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Dec 05, 2014 01:49:57 pm
      Reassuring to see he gets to be on a football pitch with Brendan. I get the feeling his passion for the club as well as meeting and talking to Brendan and experiencing his enthusiasm for the game will be enough if we do have a bid accepted.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      Reply #19: Dec 05, 2014 03:32:00 pm
      If we had that attitude when offering a potential £5m deal for Sterling when he was 15 we'd be without arguably our best player right now.

The January window isn't open yet so it would be pure speculation as to whom we are looking at in that regard, whereas this lad is available now.

I knew someone would mention Sterling. 1 player that has come through in how many years? Our record is crap and as I said in particular with kids from outside of these islands
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #20: Dec 05, 2014 03:38:04 pm

He is good enough to play for his country at 15, I don't think it will be too long before he'd get games for us.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #21: Dec 05, 2014 05:27:06 pm
      Toure said he was impressed with him and apparently, was out having dinner with Coutinho and others :O

I knew someone would mention Sterling. 1 player that has come through in how many years? Our record is crap and as I said in particular with kids from outside of these islands

I agree, our record really is horrendous for foreign kids and has been poor for a while for home grown players. I don't think it's a question of ability, but more so the manager, whether he has the balls to nurture & play a youngster from our youth setup or not.

Look at Harry Kane, an average youngster, nothing spectacular but is getting a run of games, playing well and scoring goals, all because he's getting the chance and a manager who believes in him.

Another thing I'll throw in, we have a strong reputation for nurturing special players well. Owen, Fowler, Gerrard, McManaman & Sterling, so hopefully, Odegaard can fall into that category.

Anyway, If Odegaard does join, I hope he, along with our other talented youngsters get a run in the first team to show their worth.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      Reply #22: Dec 05, 2014 07:08:18 pm
      He is good enough to play for his country at 15, I don't think it will be too long before he'd get games for us.

Fair play to him, and there is no doubt theres something there as every major club is having a look but like I said Ive seen way too many young kids signed by us and people believing we'd signed superstars only for them to be not good enough when it came to it or not given the chance by the club

Great if we sign IF we sign top level 1st teamers for our trouble positions first
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #23: Dec 05, 2014 08:23:49 pm
      If we sign him... He goes u-18? Or if he impresses are we going to see a 15/16 year old in our first team... Exciting and terrifying (mostly exciting imo)
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #24: Dec 05, 2014 10:59:27 pm
      There's no way we're going to be playing a 15 year old regularly in the first team.  He might get an appearance here and there but he's not going to be a regular.  Even if he did train with the first team that would mean he'd be on the bench most of the team, thus stunting his progression.

So most likely he'd go with the u18s.  But does he really want that?  The Norwegian league may not be the best in the world but at least he's playing in the top division, in front of full crowds, etc etc.  The u18 lads even for us barely get people to go.  So essentially his competition level would drop, AND he'd be moving away from home.

I think if we sign him we should do what we did with Origi and loan him back to his club for at least another season or two.  Let him come back and join us when he's 17, he'll then be just about ready to join our first team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25: Dec 06, 2014 05:20:45 am
      You really think an international player who trialled with the first team will be signed and put in the u18s?

He'd be training with the first team and playing with the u21's, 100%.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #26: Dec 06, 2014 05:21:45 pm
      in this moment, he could walk in our first team easily
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #27: Dec 06, 2014 05:49:44 pm
      Apart from say Ajax and BVB , we are his best bet for getting first team minutes. He would be mad to go to Unites/Madrid/Bayern.

He fits our strategy perfectly. Plenty of potential, cheap. If he realize his potential, we can sell for a massive profit etc.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #28: Dec 06, 2014 08:58:45 pm
      Apart from say Ajax and BVB , we are his best bet for getting first team minutes. He would be mad to go to Unites/Madrid/Bayern.

He fits our strategy perfectly. Plenty of potential, cheap. If he realize his potential, we can sell for a massive profit etc.

Or we could keep him as a 10 -15 year player and he could be OUR next Superstar!

Bier
      Reply #29: Dec 07, 2014 01:36:52 pm
      I think he's probably off to Ajax. He's going to be 16 in a few days and apparantly only wants to be part of first team football, not youth football. I know his father has been very positive about Ajax, and the manager of the Norwegian national team is advising him to go to Ajax too. But he's had over 30 offers already, so you never know. But been reading in Dutch media today he's favouring Ajax, apparently likes that he'll get alot of individual attention there.

That said, even if he does go to Ajax he'll likely still be an option for us in years to come.

Nice docu on youtube about him:

The Martin Ødegaard Documentary - Part 1
      The Martin Ødegaard Documentary - Part 2
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2014 01:58:56 pm by Bier »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #30: Dec 07, 2014 02:15:23 pm
      I think he's probably off to Ajax. He's going to be 16 in a few days and apparantly only wants to be part of first team football, not youth football. I know his father has been very positive about Ajax, and the manager of the Norwegian national team is advising him to go to Ajax too. But he's had over 30 offers already, so you never know. But been reading in Dutch media today he's favouring Ajax, apparently likes that he'll get alot of individual attention there.

That said, even if he does go to Ajax he'll likely still be an option for us in years to come.

I actually think Ajax would be the best option for him. He wouldn't be out of our reach if he joins them and would most likely get a better footballing education and opportunity at a higher level at his age than anywhere else (Dutch league & CL).
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #31: Dec 07, 2014 02:28:28 pm
      Or we could keep him as a 10 -15 year player and he could be OUR next Superstar!
      Isn't that against our policy?
      Only super star we kept during their peak age in last 15 years or so is Gerrard.

Bier
      Reply #32: Dec 07, 2014 02:37:24 pm
      I actually think Ajax would be the best option for him. He wouldn't be out of our reach if he joins them and would most likely get a better footballing education and opportunity at a higher level at his age than anywhere else (Dutch league & CL).

I probably have to agree there, I imagine their offer has to be appealing as far as development goes. Can see him being part of their first team immediately, and getting minutes in their first team and be used in rotation almost immediately. Would be up to him really how fast he'd secure a starting spot, but he'd be certain to get the chance to prove himself at least. Meanwhile he'll also get the chance to train alot individually with Dennis Bergkamp.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #33: Dec 07, 2014 07:35:16 pm
      Isn't that against our policy?
      Only super star we kept during their peak age in last 15 years or so is Gerrard.

Time to change our Superstar policy.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      Reply #34: Dec 07, 2014 09:18:54 pm

Ajax have a far superior success rate with bringing through young players then perhaps any other club. We should pull out of the race and allow them to sign him and strike a deal with them now that we get first option on him down the line
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #35: Dec 07, 2014 09:23:18 pm
      Pretty smart guy if he joins Ajax, a club that'll get the best out of him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36: Dec 07, 2014 09:46:10 pm
      Martin Odegaard, If you do happen to read this, please join Ajax, learn from the best, work hard and don't let us down! By the time you turn 19 or 20 and getting offers from Barca, Real, City, Chelsea, Bayern, Utd, Arsenal and us... you know what to do ;)

That is all, thank you & YNWA <3
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #37: Dec 07, 2014 10:15:38 pm
      Can't argue with Ajax.  Would be a great place for him to go.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Dec 07, 2014 11:45:37 pm
      Ajax have a far superior success rate with bringing through young players then perhaps any other club. We should pull out of the race and allow them to sign him and strike a deal with them now that we get first option on him down the line

I can't imagine what we would have to offer Ajax though in order to entice them into such a deal; especially since he will more than likely go for a big fee in the future where all the big clubs will be doing their best to get him.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #39: Dec 08, 2014 12:17:26 pm
      Whilst Ajax will offer him a great opportunity we should sign this lad... We can loan him out to Ajax later, but why on earth would we not sign a player who at 15 is already an international..?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      Reply #40: Dec 08, 2014 01:23:22 pm
      I can't imagine what we would have to offer Ajax though in order to entice them into such a deal; especially since he will more than likely go for a big fee in the future where all the big clubs will be doing their best to get him.

Make them an offer they couldnt refuse (Aintree is only down the road we could find a horse there to cut up and leave the head in the Ajax chairmans bed!!)
      Bier
      Reply #41: Dec 08, 2014 01:24:25 pm
      Whilst Ajax will offer him a great opportunity we should sign this lad... We can loan him out to Ajax later, but why on earth would we not sign a player who at 15 is already an international..?

Ofcourse, unfortunately the choice is upto him though, not us. And if it's true he favours first team football, it's going to be hard for us to get him.

And I doubt we can loan him out to Ajax, they're not going to develop another club's teenager.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #42: Dec 08, 2014 01:37:56 pm
      For once this potential signing isn't about the money, it's about the lad wanting 1st team football.  He feels he's ready to step up to that level so he's not going to accept u18's or u21's game time.  Whether he would accept a loan deal to a League 1 or Championship Club after signing for us remains to be seen but if we don't get him now, I doubt we ever will.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #43: Dec 08, 2014 01:41:27 pm
      Why not buy him then loan him to Ajax, or any number of clubs?
      Bier
      Reply #44: Dec 08, 2014 01:54:18 pm
      For once this potential signing isn't about the money, it's about the lad wanting 1st team football.  He feels he's ready to step up to that level so he's not going to accept u18's or u21's game time.  Whether he would accept a loan deal to a League 1 or Championship Club after signing for us remains to be seen but if we don't get him now, I doubt we ever will.

I don't know, if it's really true we're his favourite club, and he does end up at a club like Ajax, then I see no reason why we couldn't buy him from them later on. Their transfer fees are doable for us. What we paid for Suarez is basically top end for them.

Why not buy him then loan him to Ajax, or any number of clubs?

I doubt Ajax are interested in developing another club's teenager. And there aren't that many clubs that could give a 16 year old first team football and are known for nurturing young talent, are there? And honestly, if it's true he has his own development and regular playing time as his priorities then I doubt he would be interested in such a construction too. Too much uncertainty involved.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #45: Dec 08, 2014 01:58:58 pm
      I don't know, if it's really true we're his favourite club, and he does end up at a club like Ajax, then I see no reason why we couldn't buy him from them later on. Their transfer fees are doable for us. What we paid for Suarez is basically top end for them.

I was meaning more that if he becomes the player everyone thinks he will, we won't be able to compete with all the other top clubs who'll want him.  By that time he won't be concerned with his development when choosing a club, it'll be who offers the most money.
      Bier
      Reply #46: Dec 08, 2014 02:07:57 pm
      I was meaning more that if he becomes the player everyone thinks he will, we won't be able to compete with all the other top clubs who'll want him.  By that time he won't be concerned with his development when choosing a club, it'll be who offers the most money.

If he really is this big of a talent, then he'll leave Ajax at an age where he will still be concerned with his development. Like Eriksen chosing Tottenham over Manchester City, because he wanted to be sure of playing time. He was 21 I think when he left Ajax, only played in their first team for 3ish years. If Odegaard really is this big a talent he'll be starting for them and leaving them at an even earlier age. And Ajax are always willing to sell anybody, as long as you offer the money. He's not going to play there for a long time if he succeeds.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #47: Dec 08, 2014 02:09:14 pm

Well, his dream club is us and if he is true to his word and we come in with an offer someday, I really think he'll choose us only and no one else. And Ajax will not have a choice but to sell to us seeing as he'll probably have 1-2 years left on his contract ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #48: Dec 08, 2014 02:16:13 pm
      If he really is this big of a talent, then he'll leave Ajax at an age where he will still be concerned with his development. Like Eriksen chosing Tottenham over Manchester City, because he wanted to be sure of playing time. He was 21 I think when he left Ajax, only played in their first team for 3ish years. If Odegaard really is this big a talent he'll be starting for them and leaving them at an even earlier age. And Ajax are always willing to sell anybody, as long as you offer the money. He's not going to play there for a long time if he succeeds.

Well, his dream club is us and if he is true to his word and we come in with an offer someday, I really think he'll choose us only and no one else. And Ajax will not have a choice but to sell to us seeing as he'll probably have 1-2 years left on his contract ;)

If only football worked like that though.
      Bier
      Reply #49: Dec 08, 2014 02:26:07 pm
      If only football worked like that though.

With many young Ajax talents it actually tends to work like that, most value their development over money, it's why they end up there in the first place. Especially the ones like Eriksen, Fischer, and now possibly Odegaard. They've always been coveted by all big European clubs, yet choose for Ajax. Says something their priorities.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #50: Dec 08, 2014 02:30:38 pm
      With many young Ajax talents it actually tends to work like that, most value their development over money, it's why they end up there in the first place. Especially the ones like Eriksen, Fischer, and now possibly Odegaard. They've always been coveted by all big European clubs, yet choose for Ajax. Says something their priorities.

I don't have a problem with it, I admire them for it mate.  I just can't see us getting the lad once he's blossomed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #51: Dec 08, 2014 06:38:06 pm

Nice docu on youtube about him:

The Martin Ødegaard Documentary - Part 1
      The Martin Ødegaard Documentary - Part 2

Great post, thanks Bier...kid looks like a real special talent. Hope whatever happens he doesn't get burnt out.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #52: Dec 11, 2014 01:04:28 pm
      F**k going to Ajax, we will miss out then. Get him in for gods sake. Dont know why any liverpool fan would be happy if he goes to Ajax.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #53: Dec 11, 2014 01:26:59 pm
      F**k going to Ajax, we will miss out then. Get him in for gods sake. Dont know why any liverpool fan would be happy if he goes to Ajax.

Yep, its insane to think this is the move that would please Liverpool fans.

It's so incredibly arrogant for anyone to think he'll go to Ajax and then join Liverpool for his peak years.

When he reaches his peak years, and if he has fulfilled potential, we will be nowhere near to getting him, because we won't be able to compete miraculously.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #54: Dec 13, 2014 12:14:28 pm
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #55: Dec 15, 2014 08:01:33 am
      Flipping hell, this guy is getting lorded about....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #56: Dec 15, 2014 05:24:29 pm
      Flipping hell, this guy is getting lorded about....

I guess this is what happens when you have practically any club in the world to choose from at such a young age.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: Dec 15, 2014 07:52:23 pm
      We'll only offer £100k and a 5 mile ride on the Back of Ayre's Harley, to sweeten the deal.

Lock it up. :D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Dec 16, 2014 11:49:45 am
      Rumours he's going to sign for Bayern tomorrow.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #59: Dec 17, 2014 04:37:21 am
      Rumours he's going to sign for Bayern tomorrow.
      Good choice really. They are winning the league with plenty of games to spare. He will get lot of chances if he is good enough.  Liverpool fan or not, it makes little sense to come to a sinking ship.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #60: Dec 17, 2014 12:42:01 pm
      Don't really see why he'd sign for Bayern of all the clubs. Yes they're massive and successful but how is he going to break in to their midfield when guys like Thiago and Hojgjerg (sp?) can't consistently. I know Thiago is injured but his place in the team, from memory, was irregular. Could be mistaken and can't be arsed looking it up.

Ajax seems like a perfect fit for a youngster looking for first team involvement.

He's a Liverpool fan and sure that gives us some pull but he isn't going to move if its not best for his career. All the best to the lad wherever he ends up.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #61: Dec 17, 2014 11:24:39 pm
      Don't really see why he'd sign for Bayern of all the clubs. Yes they're massive and successful but how is he going to break in to their midfield when guys like Thiago and Hojgjerg (sp?) can't consistently. I know Thiago is injured but his place in the team, from memory, was irregular. Could be mistaken and can't be arsed looking it up.

Ajax seems like a perfect fit for a youngster looking for first team involvement.

He's a Liverpool fan and sure that gives us some pull but he isn't going to move if its not best for his career. All the best to the lad wherever he ends up.

Correct me if Ii'm wrong, but I believe Bayern has a good reputation for bringing up kids and giving them opportunities?

In the top tier of clubs, I would say Bayern and Barca are the best at bring up kids?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #62: Dec 18, 2014 01:54:28 pm
      I know they've got a ton of youth players in their first team right now but their midfield is stacked and even guys like Hojbjerg and Gaudino coming through will be competing with him for a first team spot.

I'm just going off that he wants some first team football right now and in the near future. He certainly won't get it at Bayern.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,529 posts | 3466 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #63: Dec 20, 2014 10:52:07 am
      Being hawked all over europe which I find all a bit unsettling
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #64: Dec 20, 2014 11:59:18 am
      Most youngsters train with multiple clubs before signing. He's just a bit higher profile than others so we hear about it (plus the clubs are all the big ones)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #65: Dec 20, 2014 09:36:14 pm

Whats unsettling about it?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Jan 06, 2015 01:42:15 pm
      11:31
      ODEGAARD LATEST

Marius Skelbaek from TV2 in Oslo has been talking to Sky Sports News HQ about the future of Norwegian wonderkid Martin Odegaard.

The 16-year-old is expected to leave Stromsgodset soon after visiting many of Europe's top clubs, including Liverpool and Arsenal, but his destination is still unclear.

“He is a big Liverpool fan but I think maybe Bayern and Real Madrid are leading the race to sign him," said Skelbaek. "The latest rumour is Martin is going to visit Ajax this month so who knows? There is going to be a sale this month because Stromsgodset need the money and he only has one year left on his contract and the club wants to sell him now.

“He could develop to a great player this year and will maybe take the level of Premier League or Bundesliga, but I think at this point maybe the Dutch level would fit him. You see that with young players from Denmark, Sweden, they are going to clubs like Ajax, Feynoord, PSV and do great, maybe that’s the best level, but who knows with the Mozart of football.”

Courtesy of Sky Sports.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #67: Jan 06, 2015 05:40:19 pm
      Show me the new: LFC Posts - Other Posts

So buy him and loan him to Ajax. Just get a long contract agreement so he gets first team football straight away, a level at which he can develop comfortably and we reap the benefits either way. Either financially or more importantly getting one of the world's best rising talents for a cheap price now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #68: Jan 06, 2015 06:06:17 pm

Him and his arl fella were due to go vip at Old Twatford.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #69: Jan 06, 2015 09:17:43 pm
      So buy him and loan him to Ajax. Just get a long contract agreement so he gets first team football straight away, a level at which he can develop comfortably and we reap the benefits either way. Either financially or more importantly getting one of the world's best rising talents for a cheap price now.

Why would Ajax be willing to develop a youngster for us?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #70: Jan 06, 2015 10:10:19 pm
      Why would Ajax be willing to develop a youngster for us?

Because it means they get to play him for free, would have thought that's fairly obvious.
      Bier
      Reply #71: Jan 06, 2015 10:39:58 pm

Such an unrealistic scenario. Developing their own youth is sacred for Ajax, they're not going to do that for another club. The only loans they do is players they think can make a real difference, and that they have a chance to sign afterwards.

Because it means they get to play him for free, would have thought that's fairly obvious.

So they're going to prefer developing a talent for another club over developing one of their own and reap the benefits of it because? Because of low wages they wouldn't have to pay for a young player?
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2015 10:50:25 pm by Bier »
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #72: Jan 06, 2015 10:44:45 pm
      but who knows with the Mozart of football.”
      Who is the Mozart of Football ? :confused-smiley-013:

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #73: Jan 06, 2015 11:41:17 pm
      Off to Real.

Either loves the money or is daft as F**k.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #74: Jan 06, 2015 11:59:37 pm
      Off to Real.

Either loves the money or is daft as f**k.

Money, beach, women, weather.... not quite daft :p

But seriously, thought the best option was Ajax for him. However, Real have really exceptional youth coaches, they've churned out a lot of very good players, whether it'd be for their own use or sold to other clubs. It isn't quite so bad at his age too.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #75: Jan 07, 2015 02:22:32 am

Why would they play a 16 year old for free with no long term benefit?

Obvious statement is not so obvious...

EDIT: He wanted first team football and then signs for the club where he'd play less than anywhere else. What didn't he learn from Canales, Illaramendi, Pedro Leon, Callejon etc. etc. etc.?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #76: Jan 07, 2015 11:13:34 pm
      He wanted to play for a team that would put him in the first team. In that respect, he's obviously just full of bullshit and wanted the money. While I didn't believe we would get him, the most logical decision was Ajax.

He didn't choose and as a result that's the last we'll hear of him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #77: Jan 07, 2015 11:22:56 pm
      EDIT: He wanted first team football and then signs for the club where he'd play less than anywhere else

He wanted to play for a team that would put him in the first team.

Did he or his dad actually mention this? I never read anything about him wanting first team, always thought he wanted to join the right club to help him progress.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #78: Jan 07, 2015 11:25:00 pm
      Another thing I'll throw in, we have a strong reputation for nurturing special players well. Owen, Fowler, Gerrard, McManaman & Sterling, so hopefully, Odegaard can fall into that category.
      Sterling is the only recent one though. Forget the others, they were brought through by a totally different regime. Counts for nothing today, and todays regime has been pretty woefull regarding youngsters coming through.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #79: Jan 07, 2015 11:38:11 pm
      Just do what you can to sign him. Worry about where you play him later. Just get him on board if he's that good.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #80: Jan 08, 2015 12:15:01 am
      Just do what you can to sign him. Worry about where you play him later. Just get him on board if he's that good.

Seemingly, that's Real's mantra :f_tongueincheek:

Good to see that they lost after inviting him over to watch the match.

Duckszone
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #81: Jan 08, 2015 02:43:44 pm
      why wouldn't they? After all, they will sell him for at least double the $ once he spent 1-2 seasons on the bench in Madrid. Seems like some clubs like Real can just buy players and sell them with a higher value because they played for them. So there is not much risk involved...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #82: Jan 08, 2015 04:31:02 pm
      Are we really going to criticize a 16-year-old for choosing to go to the most glamorous club in the world? Yeah, he's probably going to have a tough time breaking through -- maybe, he could surprise -- but he's not doing anything virtually every promising footballer his age would do.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #83: Jan 08, 2015 05:02:43 pm
      http://youtu.be/RR0iKVlEiLg

Maybe we'll sign him when he's older :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #84: Jan 08, 2015 05:08:42 pm
      Are we really going to criticize a 16-year-old for choosing to go to the most glamorous club in the world? Yeah, he's probably going to have a tough time breaking through -- maybe, he could surprise -- but he's not doing anything virtually every promising footballer his age would do.

He's getting some really bad advice and I think its probably more Daddy that is drawn to Real Madrid than the lad himself. Its a real shame becuase with us or Ajax I think he would have been given opportunities but with Real Madrid he'll most likely just fade away and be sold on in a few years time.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #85: Jan 08, 2015 05:36:22 pm
      He's getting some really bad advice and I think its probably more Daddy that is drawn to Real Madrid than the lad himself. Its a real shame becuase with us or Ajax I think he would have been given opportunities but with Real Madrid he'll most likely just fade away and be sold on in a few years time.

I don't think it's bad advice. Look at how many players Real churned out over the last decade. A lot of quality players. Even if he doesn't get first team action, he'll be trained up for a year by world class coaches and then possibly loaned out for experience at a top league or a few games for Real.

Ajax would've been great, but Real isn't such a bad choice and we have to remember, he just turned 16.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #86: Jan 08, 2015 06:06:03 pm
      I don't think it's bad advice. Look at how many players Real churned out over the last decade. A lot of quality players. Even if he doesn't get first team action, he'll be trained up for a year by world class coaches and then possibly loaned out for experience at a top league or a few games for Real.

Ajax would've been great, but Real isn't such a bad choice and we have to remember, he just turned 16.
      Exactly he just turned 16 and was hot property playing in the senior team in the Norwegian top league plus pactually playing for Norway at an International level. He will now be getting great coaching, no question about that, but no real game time, which will obvioulsy affect his selection for internationals. If I was him that would be a dissapointment. What he needs is a small step up but still to get a fair chunk of game time to help him develop, he would have had that at Ajax and possibly even with us, but his head got turned by the lure of Real Madrid, mark my words he'll regret this choice when he's goes form being hot property to just another member of the very talented youth ranks at Real Madrid.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Martin Odegaard (Strømsgodset IF)
      Reply #87: Jan 21, 2015 11:44:55 pm

Quick Reply