Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Martin Odegaard (Strømsgodset IF)

Read 18061 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Martin Odegaard
      Reply #23: Dec 05, 2014 08:23:49 pm
      If we sign him... He goes u-18? Or if he impresses are we going to see a 15/16 year old in our first team... Exciting and terrifying (mostly exciting imo)
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #24: Dec 05, 2014 10:59:27 pm
      There's no way we're going to be playing a 15 year old regularly in the first team.  He might get an appearance here and there but he's not going to be a regular.  Even if he did train with the first team that would mean he'd be on the bench most of the team, thus stunting his progression.

So most likely he'd go with the u18s.  But does he really want that?  The Norwegian league may not be the best in the world but at least he's playing in the top division, in front of full crowds, etc etc.  The u18 lads even for us barely get people to go.  So essentially his competition level would drop, AND he'd be moving away from home.

I think if we sign him we should do what we did with Origi and loan him back to his club for at least another season or two.  Let him come back and join us when he's 17, he'll then be just about ready to join our first team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Dec 06, 2014 05:20:45 am
      You really think an international player who trialled with the first team will be signed and put in the u18s?

He'd be training with the first team and playing with the u21's, 100%.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #26: Dec 06, 2014 05:21:45 pm
      in this moment, he could walk in our first team easily
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #27: Dec 06, 2014 05:49:44 pm
      Apart from say Ajax and BVB , we are his best bet for getting first team minutes. He would be mad to go to Unites/Madrid/Bayern.

He fits our strategy perfectly. Plenty of potential, cheap. If he realize his potential, we can sell for a massive profit etc.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #28: Dec 06, 2014 08:58:45 pm
      Apart from say Ajax and BVB , we are his best bet for getting first team minutes. He would be mad to go to Unites/Madrid/Bayern.

He fits our strategy perfectly. Plenty of potential, cheap. If he realize his potential, we can sell for a massive profit etc.

Or we could keep him as a 10 -15 year player and he could be OUR next Superstar!

Bier
      Reply #29: Dec 07, 2014 01:36:52 pm
      I think he's probably off to Ajax. He's going to be 16 in a few days and apparantly only wants to be part of first team football, not youth football. I know his father has been very positive about Ajax, and the manager of the Norwegian national team is advising him to go to Ajax too. But he's had over 30 offers already, so you never know. But been reading in Dutch media today he's favouring Ajax, apparently likes that he'll get alot of individual attention there.

That said, even if he does go to Ajax he'll likely still be an option for us in years to come.

Nice docu on youtube about him:

The Martin Ødegaard Documentary - Part 1
      The Martin Ødegaard Documentary - Part 2
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2014 01:58:56 pm by Bier »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #30: Dec 07, 2014 02:15:23 pm
      I think he's probably off to Ajax. He's going to be 16 in a few days and apparantly only wants to be part of first team football, not youth football. I know his father has been very positive about Ajax, and the manager of the Norwegian national team is advising him to go to Ajax too. But he's had over 30 offers already, so you never know. But been reading in Dutch media today he's favouring Ajax, apparently likes that he'll get alot of individual attention there.

That said, even if he does go to Ajax he'll likely still be an option for us in years to come.

I actually think Ajax would be the best option for him. He wouldn't be out of our reach if he joins them and would most likely get a better footballing education and opportunity at a higher level at his age than anywhere else (Dutch league & CL).
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #31: Dec 07, 2014 02:28:28 pm
      Or we could keep him as a 10 -15 year player and he could be OUR next Superstar!
      Isn't that against our policy?
      Only super star we kept during their peak age in last 15 years or so is Gerrard.

Bier
      Reply #32: Dec 07, 2014 02:37:24 pm
      I actually think Ajax would be the best option for him. He wouldn't be out of our reach if he joins them and would most likely get a better footballing education and opportunity at a higher level at his age than anywhere else (Dutch league & CL).

I probably have to agree there, I imagine their offer has to be appealing as far as development goes. Can see him being part of their first team immediately, and getting minutes in their first team and be used in rotation almost immediately. Would be up to him really how fast he'd secure a starting spot, but he'd be certain to get the chance to prove himself at least. Meanwhile he'll also get the chance to train alot individually with Dennis Bergkamp.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #33: Dec 07, 2014 07:35:16 pm
      Isn't that against our policy?
      Only super star we kept during their peak age in last 15 years or so is Gerrard.

Time to change our Superstar policy.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #34: Dec 07, 2014 09:18:54 pm

Ajax have a far superior success rate with bringing through young players then perhaps any other club. We should pull out of the race and allow them to sign him and strike a deal with them now that we get first option on him down the line
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #35: Dec 07, 2014 09:23:18 pm
      Pretty smart guy if he joins Ajax, a club that'll get the best out of him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36: Dec 07, 2014 09:46:10 pm
      Martin Odegaard, If you do happen to read this, please join Ajax, learn from the best, work hard and don't let us down! By the time you turn 19 or 20 and getting offers from Barca, Real, City, Chelsea, Bayern, Utd, Arsenal and us... you know what to do ;)

That is all, thank you & YNWA <3
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #37: Dec 07, 2014 10:15:38 pm
      Can't argue with Ajax.  Would be a great place for him to go.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Dec 07, 2014 11:45:37 pm
      Ajax have a far superior success rate with bringing through young players then perhaps any other club. We should pull out of the race and allow them to sign him and strike a deal with them now that we get first option on him down the line

I can't imagine what we would have to offer Ajax though in order to entice them into such a deal; especially since he will more than likely go for a big fee in the future where all the big clubs will be doing their best to get him.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #39: Dec 08, 2014 12:17:26 pm
      Whilst Ajax will offer him a great opportunity we should sign this lad... We can loan him out to Ajax later, but why on earth would we not sign a player who at 15 is already an international..?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #40: Dec 08, 2014 01:23:22 pm
      I can't imagine what we would have to offer Ajax though in order to entice them into such a deal; especially since he will more than likely go for a big fee in the future where all the big clubs will be doing their best to get him.

Make them an offer they couldnt refuse (Aintree is only down the road we could find a horse there to cut up and leave the head in the Ajax chairmans bed!!)
      Bier
      Reply #41: Dec 08, 2014 01:24:25 pm
      Whilst Ajax will offer him a great opportunity we should sign this lad... We can loan him out to Ajax later, but why on earth would we not sign a player who at 15 is already an international..?

Ofcourse, unfortunately the choice is upto him though, not us. And if it's true he favours first team football, it's going to be hard for us to get him.

And I doubt we can loan him out to Ajax, they're not going to develop another club's teenager.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #42: Dec 08, 2014 01:37:56 pm
      For once this potential signing isn't about the money, it's about the lad wanting 1st team football.  He feels he's ready to step up to that level so he's not going to accept u18's or u21's game time.  Whether he would accept a loan deal to a League 1 or Championship Club after signing for us remains to be seen but if we don't get him now, I doubt we ever will.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #43: Dec 08, 2014 01:41:27 pm
      Why not buy him then loan him to Ajax, or any number of clubs?
      Bier
      Reply #44: Dec 08, 2014 01:54:18 pm
      For once this potential signing isn't about the money, it's about the lad wanting 1st team football.  He feels he's ready to step up to that level so he's not going to accept u18's or u21's game time.  Whether he would accept a loan deal to a League 1 or Championship Club after signing for us remains to be seen but if we don't get him now, I doubt we ever will.

I don't know, if it's really true we're his favourite club, and he does end up at a club like Ajax, then I see no reason why we couldn't buy him from them later on. Their transfer fees are doable for us. What we paid for Suarez is basically top end for them.

Why not buy him then loan him to Ajax, or any number of clubs?

I doubt Ajax are interested in developing another club's teenager. And there aren't that many clubs that could give a 16 year old first team football and are known for nurturing young talent, are there? And honestly, if it's true he has his own development and regular playing time as his priorities then I doubt he would be interested in such a construction too. Too much uncertainty involved.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #45: Dec 08, 2014 01:58:58 pm
      I don't know, if it's really true we're his favourite club, and he does end up at a club like Ajax, then I see no reason why we couldn't buy him from them later on. Their transfer fees are doable for us. What we paid for Suarez is basically top end for them.

I was meaning more that if he becomes the player everyone thinks he will, we won't be able to compete with all the other top clubs who'll want him.  By that time he won't be concerned with his development when choosing a club, it'll be who offers the most money.

Quick Reply