Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Football Hooliganism

Read 2249 times
      americankid13
      • On Trial
      • Started Topic

• 1 posts |
      Football Hooliganism
      Dec 01, 2014 05:11:24 am
      Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on hooliganism in today's world. Does anyone see it coming to an end? It seems to be obviously unnecessary to the game, but hooligans clearly think otherwise. Leave me a response, I'd like to know other's opinions.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8657 
      Re: Football Hooliganism
      Reply #1: Dec 01, 2014 08:22:40 pm
      You're about three decades behind the times. Check out some of the vids of English football hooliganism from the 70s and 80s on you tube and it's make's hooliganism in today's world look like a playtime adventure!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2: Dec 01, 2014 09:53:29 pm
      Shall I bore you with blood and gore from the 60s and 70s.

Scum had special place for treatment as did Leeds.

Had some good ones against the Cockney Firms.

Those were the days  .

What was the question ?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #3: Dec 01, 2014 10:31:12 pm
      FUN FACT 1 - if it wasn't for "hooligans", a fair number of clubs would have gone to the wall in the 70s/80s.

FUN FACT 2 - if "hooligans" made a return, we might see the end of the gentrification bullshit, and the foreign owner parasites in the game.

Fights have always been part of traditional football culture. Dating back to Medieval times when the pitch was a mile long, with a stream in the middle. And during the modern era, you either chose to join in, or not.

As a little  kid, or as an adult, I could walk right thro the thick of it, and the only time I'd get any is if I outwardly expressed a huge desire to kick off.

Completely UNLIKE the situation in places like Italy or France, where some coward would try and stab an old lady for wearing away colours. Or a scummy Spanish cop would truncheon a 10 yr old boy on the head.

Yet WE were the ones who got a huge Euro ban.... :roll:
      « Last Edit: Dec 02, 2014 12:06:56 am by JD »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #4: Dec 01, 2014 11:05:27 pm
      I got my head kicked in by West Hams ICF (Inter City Firm) outside Anfield after we knocked them out of the Milk Cup in 83...
      They we're a well organised mob back then and took no sh*t..

Leeds away was a bit of blur back then n all...

Our regular visits to Wembley yielded some interesting face offs with mobs we weren't even playing !!..

Today  all the rucks are organised on social media and GPS... back then you turned a street corner and you either stood your ground or ran..

Like yer man said above.. You Tube it for yourself..

Bier
      Reply #5: Dec 02, 2014 02:15:18 pm
      It's still an issue in Dutch football for sure, Ajax and Feyenoord, when playing each other, haven't had any away supporters present for the past 5 years because of it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Dec 07, 2014 05:21:31 pm
      I can remember old firm games in Glasgow where it regularly rained bricks & bottles, this was early to mid 70's, before kick off  , going to one of these game you virtually gambled with your life,

To add fuel to the already raging masses was the religious bollox and the sectarian bullshit,

The football wasn't to bad either ,
      This was the reason I became a Red, brought up in the blue half but most of my mates were of the green persuasion,

How could I attend ibrox sing those stupid f***in sh*t sectarian songs then go hang out with my pals,

Exciting times for a young naive teenager caught up in that maelstrom, so grateful I came to my senses .

YNWA
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #7: Dec 07, 2014 11:37:40 pm
      Fortunately have never been involved in a riot or any form of football hooliganism. I've seen West Ham fans gobbing off after they were promoted to the Premierleague, and have also seen their fans pick on innocent people on the London underground. Complete scumbags. As far as hooliganism goes, nope - not for me. There has got to be something else out there to do on a Saturday afternoon than to look for a fight. Hooliganism is so yesterday. Does it even exist in this country anymore?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #8: Dec 08, 2014 06:31:03 pm
      Fortunately have never been involved in a riot or any form of football hooliganism. I've seen West Ham fans gobbing off after they were promoted to the Premierleague, and have also seen their fans pick on innocent people on the London underground. Complete scumbags. As far as hooliganism goes, nope - not for me. There has got to be something else out there to do on a Saturday afternoon than to look for a fight. Hooliganism is so yesterday. Does it even exist in this country anymore?

Go to some lower league games.
      It may not be a big problem in the prem right now, but it hasn't gone away.
      Not by a long shot.
      It also takes place away from the grounds these days, with "firms" meeting up somewhere out of the way, and I'm betting that there is still a walk or 2 away from stadiums where opposition supporters get ambushed.

As regards hooliganism, I used to like a ruck in my younger days, but I never went looking for it.
      And by a ruck, I mean a scrap between 2 fellas, and if the other fella goes down, you step back. No weapons, no stamping, no kicking in the head or any of the other outrageous sh*t you used to see every week.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #9: Dec 08, 2014 09:01:28 pm
      In the late 70's early 80's Sk-ow-sers we're the always the best dressed individuals...

spot us a mile off....as did the opposition... pringle jumpers, sergio tachini, le coste, Fila, Trim Trab.... funny how we'd all dress up like golfers and tennis players to go and watch a footy match...

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #10: Dec 09, 2014 02:50:11 pm
      Sounds like hooliganism does at times, go too far. Shouldn't it be healthy in the sense that you both have a little ruck, get a few bruises and then call it a day?

I suppose that is the problem with hooliganism - it revolves around violence and violence knows no limits.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #11: Dec 09, 2014 05:29:57 pm

It certainly still does, just in a smaller scale and much more hidden. The boys just arrange fights over social media and use each other as contacts to get in touch with other firms they haven't been in touch with. For example City might be playing Oldham in the cup and one of their boys wants a reliable contact at Oldham to arrange a good old scrum between the two sides. If he doesn't know any of the Oldham boys, he'll ask one of his "mates" from Leeds crew whom he fights with on Saturdays and occasionally has a pint with to put them in touch. It's much less deadly and more organised than it used to be.

I'm on the same page as you mate, I just don't get this desire to punch the sh*t out of each other for an adrenaline rush. Don't mean to speak out of terms but evolution seems to be evading some of these lads. Go to a game, have a banter with the opposition, get pissed afterwards and chase skirt, good clean fun. What's with the punch ups?

Quick Reply