Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      1 (1.1%)
      Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      2 (2.2%)
      Lovren
      2 (2.2%)
      Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Lucas
      8 (8.7%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      10 (10.9%)
      Gerrard
      55 (59.8%)
      Henderson
      1 (1.1%)
      Lambert
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Markovic
      12 (13%)
      Coutinho
      1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Liverpool 1:1 FC Basel. In game & post match discussion.

Read 50342 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Liverpool 1:1 FC Basel. In game & post match discussion.
      Reply #828: Dec 09, 2014 10:23:44 pm
      Sad to say, 120 mil spent and we continue to play the same negative way and letting new players rot on the bench, well, BR has plenty of answering to do to FSG. Anxious moments for BR, I'm afraid.

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #829: Dec 09, 2014 10:23:58 pm
      If Rodgers starts that same team against the Mancs at the weekend we will lose. And if we lose he has to go I don't care what stage of the season it is. Appoint Stevie as player manager for the remainder of the season he can't do worse can he?

You are probably right in that losing might spell the end for Rodgers (rightly or wrongly). Also replacing him with Gerrard would dull the pain a bit for me.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #830: Dec 09, 2014 10:24:06 pm
      still laughing at that mate claiming markovic was almost murdering their player  :lmao:

look on the bright side, we qualified in youth league, thank god there is a u21 manager there
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #831: Dec 09, 2014 10:25:20 pm
      If Rodgers starts that same team against the Mancs at the weekend we will lose. And if we lose he has to go I don't care what stage of the season it is. Appoint Stevie as player manager for the remainder of the season he can't do worse can he?

He's a very very stubborn man, look at his face and it suggests so. He'll start with the same line-up. Safety at all cost, even at the cost of loosing.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #832: Dec 09, 2014 10:25:48 pm
      Why can't we play with as much passion and acceleration as the final 15 minutes, all the time? That's how we played last season.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #833: Dec 09, 2014 10:25:52 pm
      Watched the game.

To be honest BR was in a tough position. We are not in form. Basel are a good side. Their manager knows him from Swansea?

The team he put out reminded me of a Mourinho tactic, except less well drilled and with less talent. When I saw that line up I knew we would play utter sh*te. OUr positioning and movement was unbelievably atrocious. Maybe we were nervous but we weren't containing Basel even with 4 CM on.

For me, we couldn't attack nor defend. I said to my son, that we will put Coutinho on, take Lambert off and look better.
      I also thought we should have taken Gerrard and Allen out and put on Lallana and Can. However, my conclusion from the game is ... and I know it's a long bow to draw .. we don't have a plan of play... or one that is working.

Moreno, Sterling, Henderson, Coutinho, Lallana, Lucas .. these are 6 very good players put Sturridge in there Can, Flanagan and we have 9 very good players potentially. We need CB's another Striker if he's not going to use Borini and a ball playing midfielder/ DM and a goalkeeper. The more we continue like this the worse it gets.

Losing Suarez and Sturridge is a huge loss for any team in BR's defence but I do feel he is under immense pressure and is floundering a bit. He is young though and this is his first CL campaign.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #834: Dec 09, 2014 10:26:44 pm
      If we don't quali for CL this season. Rodgers should be sacked in my opinion. I would like de Boer as our new manager.
      Jmase77
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 401 posts |
      Reply #835: Dec 09, 2014 10:26:47 pm
      still laughing at that mate claiming markovic was almost murdering their player  :lmao:

look on the bright side, we qualified in youth league, thank god there is a u21 manager there
      Rodgers will prob sack him dont want anyone sharing the limelight........
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #836: Dec 09, 2014 10:26:59 pm
      We were sh*te and they were not Real Madrid or Barca...thankgod.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #837: Dec 09, 2014 10:27:30 pm
      Why did BR buy them in the first place and not playing them? I think BR still has plenty to learn about attacking football and prefers negative defensive football. safety first at all cost.  I reiterate playing Hendo, Lucas and Allen is as good as telling Basel come attack me I can't defend well. That's what they actually did and scored a goal. Basel can read BR's tactics like a book and BR is simply too naive. If BR could just put Lallana or Cou in the mix, itmay peg back basel a little and the goal could have been avoided

I agree that Lallana not playing more is a real head scratcher BUT lets not forget that everybody has played shi..t this season. As fans we watch a game, the players selected play crap and then we pretty  much pick on a few, scream that player a, b and c should have played instead (and that it all would have been  different if they had) but they have all been poor. We have played well twice this season, at Spurs and at home to the bitters. That's it. It hasn't mattered who has played. I've been shouting for Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling to all play in the same line-up. Well guess what, they did at the weekend and we were still awful. Our problems are deeper than 'why aren't we playing this player or that player'
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #838: Dec 09, 2014 10:27:51 pm
      Funny how people vote for Man of the Match isn't it.

Man of the Match. Apparently.

I think he is a shadow of himself in that position from 05! Thought he was also our best player tonight, but when Lazar is running second after playing 20 minutes then being sent off, perhaps that wasn't too difficult!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #839: Dec 09, 2014 10:28:06 pm
      Brendan in the post match interview: "We got a good result from the match but not the result we needed" - F**k off Brendan!!

Redangel

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #840: Dec 09, 2014 10:28:40 pm
      They can't take the memories away all those wonderful songs and what f**king nights against Chelsea was that really us

Seems a lifetime away, so much has happened since then. We had so many great nights, Anfield alive and kicking because we knew that no matter what, the team would give their all. I've been lucky to see so many great European nights when we were in our heyday, Rafa brought so much of that back!

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #841: Dec 09, 2014 10:28:46 pm
      sorry if i repeat myself

Here's a short summary of our season so far, you have to see it

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B3FOrl3CEAASi1q.mp4
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #842: Dec 09, 2014 10:29:58 pm
      Brendan in the post match interview: "We got a good result from the match but not the result we needed" - f**k off Brendan!!

but we are in a prestigious comp the EL thingy playing Thursday nights as if our season wasn't fu**ed already
      Jmase77
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 401 posts |
      Reply #843: Dec 09, 2014 10:30:18 pm
      Brendan in the post match interview: "We got a good result from the match but not the result we needed" - f**k off Brendan!!
      Anything but a win is a bad result considering we needed 3 points hes losing his mind
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #844: Dec 09, 2014 10:31:13 pm
      Seems a lifetime away, so much has happened since then. We had so many great nights, Anfield alive and kicking because we knew that no matter what, the team would give their all. I've been lucky to see so many great European nights when we were in our heyday, Rafa brought so much of that back!

think about tonight and the crowd never really believed we would win this did they it was a poor atmosphere until the last 20 mins or so.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #845: Dec 09, 2014 10:31:27 pm
      I'm out of here it's like being in a F***ing snake pit  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #846: Dec 09, 2014 10:32:25 pm

so how in the name of god you got a result then ? =)) it's like playing in quarters, get thrashed 5-0 away and get a 0-0 at home, we got a result !!! =))

the man lacks brain, or he's utterly arrogant/refuses to see straight anymore, and this is why he shouldnt remain at the helm, if he doesn't see our problems, how can we trust him to change our fortunes ?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #847: Dec 09, 2014 10:33:12 pm
      Joe Allen must be Rodgers ears in the dressing room. there is no other reason for him to continue to be picked.

Sold Kelly and kept Johnson.

Sold Agger, bought Lovren.

Sold Suarez, bought Bagojelly.

Wrong starting eleven, wrong substitutions, = wrong manager.

Enrique wrong. Should have been Moreno

Allen wrong, should have been Can or Llalana.

Lambert wrong, should have picked Borini.

Johnson wrong, should have been Manquillo

Other than that it was the right team.

Wow, if you think Kelly was good enough then you're living on another planet.

He had so much potential but injuries took their toll, but he was atrocious with his last appearances for Liverpool. And Manquillo has been as bad as Johnson lately - F***ing terrible in fact.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,945 posts | 287 
      Reply #848: Dec 09, 2014 10:35:11 pm
      Second half performance was more like it. Even from the off Markovic looked lively even though lasted less than 15 minutes.
      Moreno is a risk at falling asleep on set pieces, but he offers so much more going forward, a trait we need when playing a slow-as-F**k midfield trio.
      The first half was just shambolic. We can't defend, and invite pressure on our feeble defence when we don't press forward. We shouldn't be putting out a defensive team to play "park it" tactics. Brendan's approach to games has been very questionable over the last 2 months. With that said, I questioned his subs at half time, but they definitely injected some much needed appetite and energy back into the team.
      Transfers have been our downfall over the last 2 years.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #849: Dec 09, 2014 10:35:43 pm
      Only just seen the red card incident on SSN, that ref should be F***ing sacked!!!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #850: Dec 09, 2014 10:37:14 pm
      Only just seen the red card incident on SSN, that ref should be f**king sacked!!!

awful decision but what was he doing with his arm up like that.

Quick Reply