Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

The 'Committee'

Read 22002 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: The 'Committee'
      Reply #92: Dec 29, 2014 12:39:45 pm
      So essentially then we don't really need a manager or a coach or anyone else to run the side, just give all the info for the week regarding players fitness/availability to the'Nerd' and let his perfect programme pick the team, and which formation would get the best result,

JW Hendry your a genius, you will be the first owner in the entire history of football that will make the role of football manager redundant,
      Thatcher will be rubbing her clit in glee inside her pine overcoat, just think of all those millions saved in wages, you can hire a computer geek for a fraction of the cost of a Half decent a manager,

Seriously ....What the F**k is going on at our club...a f***in no mark computer nerd with his bullshit programme is trusted with whether a particular player will be good for us or not, I mean for F**k sake,

I don't know what's worse the nerd himself or the f***in eejit that sanctioned his employment,

and what proof did they have that His model would actually work, a computer programme is only as good as the info fed into it, so by that theory the hasn't got a f***in clue about football nerd , actually decides which players play for the club,

Is it any wonder then that Brendan has struggled to find our strongest/ best X1 or formation,

For F**k sake get rid of these pair of f***in muppets pronto and let's get back to judging a player by actually going out there and watching him perform 3,4,5 times or more before then deciding whether he's worth a gamble or not....you know the old and trusted way of doing things....if it ain't broke don't f***in fix it...

Just wondering if there are other prem clubs that employ a similar nerd to run their transfer policies ?

f***in unbelievable Jeff, as Kammy would say !

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #93: Dec 29, 2014 12:51:32 pm
      DOF - tried with Comolli and a "footballing man" - ended up with Andy Carroll, Downing, Adam, Coates etc.

And since Brendan has explicity said he wouldn't work with a DOF either we get a new manager or we can the idea.

Pretty obvious really - so what's your bright idea to solve the problems we actually have?

Brendan has shown a that he'll do exactly as he's told! I've never seen a manager tow the line so carefully.
      If FSG decide that DOF is the right way to go, then Brendan will go with it. How could he dislike a DOF anymore than the Dummy and Computer geek he has now?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #94: Dec 29, 2014 02:03:57 pm
      Brendan has shown a that he'll do exactly as he's told! I've never seen a manager tow the line so carefully.
      If FSG decide that DOF is the right way to go, then Brendan will go with it. How could he dislike a DOF anymore than the Dummy and Computer geek he has now?

I wouldn't be surprised if after this years transfers are reviewed a DoF is forced on Rodgers and he won't have many complaints being part of the  infamous "committee".

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Reply #95: Dec 29, 2014 02:40:53 pm
      It's time "The Committee" went and went for good. NO reincarnations this time 'round. NO shuffling the sh*te and calling it something different; NO more F***ing "discriminative value to player performance" and... NO repeating the mistakes then looking puzzled... Just get rid. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR.  >:D

For me its our transfer policy that has to be binned off Mouse and not the committee.

As I've said before for me its just a fancy name for the roles that most others clubs have to sign players and the individuals themselves are more to blame than the 'committee'.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #96: Dec 29, 2014 02:46:40 pm
      *Copy and pastes league table and forwards

Jon if it gets us more suitable recruits I don't care, something or somebody has to change within the existing structure as it clearly isn't working in its current form.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #97: Dec 29, 2014 03:17:51 pm
      This computer program works just fine for the Red Sox. Maybe they just need a time to tune it up with us?

Aye because baseball can be literally broken down to a pitch-by-pitch analysis. Starting pitchers throw about 100+ pitches a game.

Football is just to fluid of a game to have a huge statistical analysis like that.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #98: Dec 29, 2014 03:24:48 pm
      Aye because baseball can be literally broken down to a pitch-by-pitch analysis. Starting pitchers throw about 100+ pitches a game.

Football is just to fluid of a game to have a huge statistical analysis like that.

It isn't though - it's just finding the right way to do it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #99: Dec 29, 2014 05:15:25 pm
      If Brendan needs a world class striker to mask his shortcomings, then give him one! No one was complaining last season!

Fazakerley, everyone else has sussed the tactic works and is prepared to spend the money to make it happen.
      Can you see an element of that deal that could persuade our owners, Director of Football, coaches or who the F**k it concerns to buy half a dozen hopefuls instead of an acknowledged striker?

To acquire the hit man would take roughly the same amount of dosh as it would to beef up the squad to a passable standard - a mid-tableish standard that may or may not improve.
      The risk factor is less involved in buying an established striker and the rewards are there as displayed by the clubs in the top tier, the side of course would still need strengthening which is why the above is hypothetical.

If a viable threat does not exist the opposition are unchallenged and free to push on in greater numbers, any weakness will be exaggerated. 
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,237 posts | 1225 
      Reply #100: Dec 29, 2014 07:30:56 pm
      I'm not sure exactly what the set up is but if it's a group of people all contributing worthwhile information and expertise in the search for new players with the manager having the final say, that's fine by me. The key is that the manager has the final say. If it's a combination of scouts and technical experts who actually have the power to overrule the guy whose job it is to train the team, pick the formation, set the tactics etc.. then I think that's a problem.

Regarding the input of statistics, while they are a factor that should be taken into account, I think there are some very obvious and well-known limitations to how useful they can be in the context of football. So much of any assessment depends on the quality of the action involved, in the specific circumstances faced by the player, within the context of the game and our season as a whole, which stat's say nothing about.

So, apart from some of the more important facts, like appearances, goals/game ratios etc. I think we need to be careful not to place too much emphasis on them. I think it would be madness to take pass success rates as a strong measure of how good a passer someone is, for example. At best you can perhaps say that if a player has a high % of passes completed, in a given team, in a given league, etc.. they might be dependable in possession and not a complete numpty. But you probably don't need to look at the stat's to make that kind of judgment.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #101: Dec 31, 2014 08:12:20 am
      For me its our transfer policy that has to be binned off Mouse and not the committee.
      "Transfer policy that has to be binned off" - yeah Si; something I have been saying for a long time.

"And not the committee." - Well yes and no Si. I did say "FSG need to dismantle the current committee". By that I meant get rid of the elements which do not work; the elements which rely on a model which place the "value" of a player, in terms of cost, [as determined by a computer programme] before the ability of a player and what he would bring to the team.

Just to be clear, (because there seems to be a bit of confusion re: "stats" and how they are applied. Maybe because people haven't read it or merely do not understand what was written); here it is again:

* Ian Graham: "Holder of a PhD in theoretical physics, Graham had developed a computer programme designed to add discriminative value to player performance statistics provided by companies such as ProZone."

"When Rodgers, a scout or an agent suggested Liverpool sign a particular player, Edwards would have the player's numbers run through the Graham model. If the computer said no, the deal was off."

The key words in that piece are "add discriminative value". It's best described by way of an example.

Let's say [for example and only that] Brendan or Hunter had suggested Diego Costa, as an alternative, who was available at say £32m. John Edwards would have his buddy, Ian Graham, run Costa's numbers through his programme. Ian Graham's programme would then attach a "value" to Costa. If that value was less than the £32m Costa would cost then... "the deal was off".

Put simply: it's Ian Graham's computer programme which decides how much a player is worth: it's the existence of and reliance on this programme which had John W so confident that we would never again overpay for players.

So by all means have a "committee", if that's what Brendan wants - just don't have a reincarnation which includes Edwards [and by default his buddy Graham] or any non-footballing entity with a veto.  >:D
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2014 08:25:10 am by bad boy bubby »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #102: Dec 31, 2014 01:07:43 pm
      "Transfer policy that has to be binned off" - yeah Si; something I have been saying for a long time.

"And not the committee." - Well yes and no Si. I did say "FSG need to dismantle the current committee". By that I meant get rid of the elements which do not work; the elements which rely on a model which place the "value" of a player, in terms of cost, [as determined by a computer programme] before the ability of a player and what he would bring to the team.

Just to be clear, (because there seems to be a bit of confusion re: "stats" and how they are applied. Maybe because people haven't read it or merely do not understand what was written); here it is again:

* Ian Graham: "Holder of a PhD in theoretical physics, Graham had developed a computer programme designed to add discriminative value to player performance statistics provided by companies such as ProZone."

"When Rodgers, a scout or an agent suggested Liverpool sign a particular player, Edwards would have the player's numbers run through the Graham model. If the computer said no, the deal was off."

The key words in that piece are "add discriminative value". It's best described by way of an example.

Let's say [for example and only that] Brendan or Hunter had suggested Diego Costa, as an alternative, who was available at say £32m. John Edwards would have his buddy, Ian Graham, run Costa's numbers through his programme. Ian Graham's programme would then attach a "value" to Costa. If that value was less than the £32m Costa would cost then... "the deal was off".

Put simply: it's Ian Graham's computer programme which decides how much a player is worth: it's the existence of and reliance on this programme which had John W so confident that we would never again overpay for players.

So by all means have a "committee", if that's what Brendan wants - just don't have a reincarnation which includes Edwards [and by default his buddy Graham] or any non-footballing entity with a veto.  >:D

That's pretty much what I've been saying too, mate. It's not the committee as an organisation that's at fault, it's the people on the committee that are, alongside an unfit for purpose policy that is like trying to swim against the tide with a ball and chain around your ankle.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #103: Jan 08, 2015 01:08:11 am
      I was just wondering, it wouldn't surprise me if our committee take stats online, fifa or FM, look at the best ones, then go on youtube and watch the player highlight and then recommend or push for that player to be signed. Would save a hell of a lot of money in travel expenses.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #104: Jan 09, 2015 09:55:55 pm
      Everyone who has anything to do with transfers at this club should be slapped and relieved of that duty.

100% the opposite end of the spectrum to utd this past decade with regards picking a target, that person being good enough and making sure we get them.

An absolute disgrace. Would swear we are a small club.

Still no sub keeper Jan 1st was a joke.
      No strikers that can score.... joke.
      Half our loaned platers were bought, will never play again for us and will be sold for less.... F***ing miserable.
      Can't get contracts sorted... shambolic
      all our big players leaving.... worrying
      no big players even considering us as potential cause of these clowns. F***ing joke.

We are on a slippery slope my friends...

Needs sorting and quick
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #105: Jan 09, 2015 09:57:33 pm
      I was just wondering, it wouldn't surprise me if our committee take stats online, fifa or FM, look at the best ones, then go on youtube and watch the player highlight and then recommend or push for that player to be signed. Would save a hell of a lot of money in travel expenses.

They would get more right if they did that
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #106: Jan 09, 2015 10:00:21 pm
      Everyone who has anything to do with transfers at this club should be slapped and relieved of that duty.

100% the opposite end of the spectrum to utd this past decade with regards picking a target, that person being good enough and making sure we get them.

An absolute disgrace. Would swear we are a small club.

Still no sub keeper Jan 1st was a joke.
      No strikers that can score.... joke.
      Half our loaned platers were bought, will never play again for us and will be sold for less.... F***ing miserable.
      Can't get contracts sorted... shambolic
      all our big players leaving.... worrying
      no big players even considering us as potential cause of these clowns. F***ing joke.

We are on a slippery slope my friends...

Needs sorting and quick

The wage structure is seriously constraining us now - I said it in the Rodgers thread. It may be preferable for us to buy a couple of star players on big wages rather than numerous players on a restricted wage.

The latter seems the most important for FSG - now that Suarez is gone, I'm inclined to think quality may be better over quantity.

The problem with the wage structure is that quality isn't going to be attracted with that wage restriction.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #107: Jan 09, 2015 10:01:18 pm
      Circa 20 top flight leagues out there and we can't go rob 1 decent sub keeper or 1st team keeper.

Migs is a minus 1 goal a game mam and Jones is terrible. How did we ever get to a point like this? And you have utd mocking us taking valdez,who will never start for them, over us who he would if started for.

Joke of a club transfer wise at the minute
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #108: Jan 09, 2015 10:04:03 pm
      The wage structure is seriously constraining us now - I said it in the Rodgers thread. It may be preferable for us to buy a couple of star players on big wages rather than numerous players on a restricted wage.

The latter seems the most important for FSG - now that Suarez is gone, I'm inclined to think quality may be better over quantity.

The problem with the wage structure is that quality isn't going to be attracted with that wage restriction.

If we can't afford to pay 2 players +200k a week to ensure we stay up there then we will drop. All the top teams are currently better, top player wise, they seem to be also a more attractive club than we are too.

Really annoyed at this committee
      RedWilly

• 9,203 posts | 1644 
      Reply #109: Jan 09, 2015 11:06:40 pm
      Not sure how accurate this is, but someone I know was talking to Jan Molby who said in the summer Brendan told the owners we needed a top class attacker to replace Suarez. Lallana, Lovren and Lambert were all 'his' signings, whilst Moreno and Markovic came from above his head, he'd told Rickie he was going to be a bench player to come off the bench and change games and Rickie was happy with the arrangement.

Regarding the top class attacker, Brendan was told 'no dice' and with time running out he was told it was Balotelli or no-one,  which Brendan said no to, saying he will never make it as a Liverpool player and he's deliberately been playing him up top on his own knowing Mario would struggle to fit the system, in order to illustrate his point to the Committee. Brendan wants more control over the transfers and there's some serious internal politics going on at the moment.

How true all of that is I don't know, and how much Jan Molby knows about the club these days I haven't a clue, but very interesting if true, but I really hope there isn't power games going on inside Anfield again, we all need to be pulling in the same direction.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #110: Jan 09, 2015 11:16:43 pm
      Not sure how accurate this is, but someone I know was talking to Jan Molby who said in the summer Brendan told the owners we needed a top class attacker to replace Suarez. Lallana, Lovren and Lambert were all 'his' signings, whilst Moreno and Markovic came from above his head, he'd told Rickie he was going to be a bench player to come off the bench and change games and Rickie was happy with the arrangement.

Regarding the top class attacker, Brendan was told 'no dice' and with time running out he was told it was Balotelli or no-one,  which Brendan said no to, saying he will never make it as a Liverpool player and he's deliberately been playing him up top on his own knowing Mario would struggle to fit the system, in order to illustrate his point to the Committee. Brendan wants more control over the transfers and there's some serious internal politics going on at the moment.

How true all of that is I don't know, and how much Jan Molby knows about the club these days I haven't a clue, but very interesting if true, but I really hope there isn't power games going on inside Anfield again, we all need to be pulling in the same direction.

Sounds about right but questions also need to be asked of him signing Lovren and Lambert!
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #111: Jan 09, 2015 11:21:48 pm
      Brendans ego X committee stupidity X FSGs policy / retarded scouts = Facked System destined for failure
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,934 posts | 283 
      Reply #112: Jan 09, 2015 11:36:04 pm
      It isn't though - it's just finding the right way to do it.

You're telling me there is a statistical equation to win a football game? Ha.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #113: Jan 10, 2015 12:19:29 am

Major problem also with these arsehole scouts and their computer game telling us what to buy.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #114: Jan 13, 2015 11:51:13 pm

I think there's some truth in this but not it all. James Pearce said in an interview that Balotelli had been picked by Brendan from a short list of available targets after all primary targets had either turned us down or been unavailable to buy (or as was rightly the case in Falcao, a refusal to pay an extortionate amount for a loan). The bit I don't believe is the playing him up on his own as a pawn in some political battle. Fergie could have got away with that, Moyes even but not a Manager who was in his third season at the club. He'd soon find himself updating his CV.

The annoying thing is that Balotelli is a far better player than Lambert and is entering his prime. He makes a far better 2nd choice striker (i.e. after the first two) than Lambert does if he had players around him that suited his style. The whole thing is based on money again with Lambert being the cheaper option. An unwillingness to have talent on the bench that can change the dynamic of a game. Pass and move is all well and good when it works but sometimes it doesn't and we need to be willing to change our style of play. Mario would be the better choice for this over the long term if we had players who suited his style of play.

Quick Reply