Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM vs. Swansea?

Mignolet
      1 (1.2%)
      Can
      2 (2.4%)
      Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas
      2 (2.4%)
      Henderson
      4 (4.9%)
      Coutinho
      39 (47.6%)
      Lallana
      34 (41.5%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Liverpool 4:1 Swansea. In game and post match glee.

Read 33465 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool 4:1 Swanswa. In game and post match glee.
      Reply #575: Dec 29, 2014 11:48:37 pm
      "Re: Liverpool 4:1 Swanswa."

What?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #576: Dec 29, 2014 11:58:15 pm
      Well, I wasn't expecting a result or performance like that.

As for Sterling, he needs to stop being a tool and reacting, could easily have been sent off tonight. So could Shelvey, I do hope the FA take action on that elbow.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #577: Dec 29, 2014 11:59:18 pm
      Great performance, great victory and a year that started with so much promise, is ending by installing some of the belief that had wavered over the past 12 months. All in all a good night to be a Red.

Mignolet still looked like a bag of nerves, still can't kick a ball with any sort of conviction and still sends every single goal kick out to the right wing. I asked for it against Burnley, I'll ask for it again - mix it the F**k up Simon lad. Otherwise, teams know where the ball is gonna go and that instantly puts us under pressure.

Can was F***ing immense. He's not a centre half but has been head and shoulders our best defender this year. Also, looks composed bringing the ball out from the back, some good passes and one belting run with the ball. All the attributes I would expect from our midfield, instead it's our make shirt centre half doing it. Slight F**k up that led to their goal but other than that, can't fault him.

Skrtel still sporting that flashy head wear, was generally alright. One up front against three centre halves helped him I think. Didn't have too much to worry about either. Maybe at fault for the goal, because while he's bollocking somebody to pick Bony up - if he's seen the danger then why hasn't he dealt with it himself (it's not as if he was marking anybody else). But like I said, generally alright.

Mamadou Hansen was sh*t. Trying to back heel your way out of danger when you're next to your own corner flag? Just put it F***ing row z lad. Also when heading the ball out, it helps if you head it out and not sideways. Distance helps to. And the passing it into dangerous areas is a constant problem with him. But he's the next Alan Hansen so no worries there.

Manquillo was faultless as far as I'm concerned. People have given this lad constant stick since he joined and I don't know why. He's no Phil Neal but then again who is? It may be alien to some fans but a defender is there to defend first and foremost and for the most part, this lad defends quite well. In possession he's not the greatest but today he was fine.

Henderson had his best game for a long time and unsurprisingly it came from him being moved centrally. Couple of times where he bottled it instead of having a shot at distance but apart from that not too bad from the stand-in skipper. Him and Can next to each other would be boss in my opinion. I still think he's afraid of breaking the law of having more than three touches before passing it on to somebody else though.

Lucas for all the plaudits he gets on here wasn't that good. Quite a few times Swansea players just skipped past him. But, on the plus side, he kept the ball nicely tonight. It wasn't just pass it to the nearest man, he actually looked up and spread the ball out wide a few times.

Moreno very good goal. The finish may not of been the greatest, but winning the ball, passing the ball and actually carrying on the run made it a very good goal. Too often our players pass it and stand still admiring it. Albert gave it and went. And ran into a dangerous area. His defending, which has been suspect at times this year, was sound tonight for the most part. I'd say his best game in a Red shirt.

Lallana will undoubtedly get man of the match and probably deservingly so. I didn't think he did much in the first half but the second he finally got it and passed it rather than having to drag it back or drop the shoulder before releasing it. First goal, great closing down. All forwards should do that, it puts the keeper under pressure and you never know, it might bounce your way and end in a goal. Tonight it did. Second was him getting it, passing it quickly to Coutinho - Phil playing a perfectly weighted ball back into him and Lallana doing the rest. Very good finish. He may win me round with more proper performances like that.

Coutinho was superb with one exception. When he put their defender on their arse, he should of passed it rather than shooting from an almost impossible angle. Catch the keeper out fair enough but you're not gonna score too many like that in the Prem. Apart from that though, he was as close to his best as I've seen this year. Even in the dying minutes, when you could tell he was fu**ed, he still managed to just skip over a challenge. He's really enjoying this free role he's got.

Sterling was nowhere near his best tonight. He was up against two big burley centre halves who didn't give him the space he likes. Swansea were very tight all game and that left Raheem very little move to operate in. Holding the ball up, using his strength isn't really his style. He needs the open space to exploit with his speed and trickery. Swansea did well at keeping that to a minimum behind the back four. The slap at the end was probably out of frustration more than anything. It was daft but I don't think any punishment will be given.

Markovic couple of nice touches, not much else. No complaints.

Balotelli like Markovic had some nice link up play, hopefully a sign that he's learning. Still can't score though the poor sod.

Borini apart from coming on, I didn't see him. Probably the best he's done in a Liverpool shirt too.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #578: Dec 30, 2014 12:02:04 am
      We were so good I had a good sleep after the game. So happy.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #579: Dec 30, 2014 12:02:41 am
      Sorry lads, this is gonna be odd. Just got back from the pub and the dumbest of all United supporters was there. I've never had anyone in my entire life time so wound up like that idiot. It was absolutely brilliant. The whole pub was in stitches. Yeah, baby.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #580: Dec 30, 2014 12:20:57 am
      Really decent performance and great to see that we're getting our mojo back at Anfield at last. Lot to like from mostly of the players put there tonight. Mom without a doubt was Coutinho for me, mesmeric display and he ran his socks off all night. Lallana rightfully getting all the plaudits for the goals was once a again superb. Why Brendan has spent most of the season playing one or the other of these lads is still beyond. Hot he seems to have figured it out now. We still need a couple of really decent signings, a striker and a keeper are a must. Maybe we don't need any defensive help if Can continues looking so accomplished at CB.

Lots to like and plenty to feel positive about going into the Leicester game.

PS. Jonno Shelvey really is a bellend! Was very funny though
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #581: Dec 30, 2014 12:46:41 am
      Ok, now that I've come down a little. This was a good performance, actually better than good. Well done, lads. Keep it up. All we need now is more of those.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #582: Dec 30, 2014 12:51:04 am
      Very good performance.

Hopefully on the up... turned that corner.

Should keep the vultures, home & away, away for the time being.  ;)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #583: Dec 30, 2014 12:52:52 am
      Much much better display, looked like the team of last season, minus the clinical striker. Seriously can you imagine Suarez instead of Sterling tonight, it would have been 7 or 8 to us. Onwards and upwards though.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #584: Dec 30, 2014 12:54:59 am
      People who are saying we're 3 points behind Arsenal if they drew against Southampton, we're still playing Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Swansea and Stoke City away, so don't get too excited
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #585: Dec 30, 2014 12:59:08 am
      Really great performance, controlled the game for 85of the 90 minutes. We're looking more fluid at least, still don't look deadly up forward but it's better. Good little Xmas period with the draw v Arse and then back to back wins. Hopefully the lads carry that form forward to the New Year and build from there
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #586: Dec 30, 2014 01:08:40 am
      Yeah, baby!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #587: Dec 30, 2014 01:13:05 am
      People who are saying we're 3 points behind Arsenal if they drew against Southampton, we're still playing Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Swansea and Stoke City away, so don't get too excited

Were the additions of Everton, Swansea and Stoke meant to scare us? They're not exactly fortress grounds. Bundle of joy tonight aren't you?! Miserable arse. 
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #588: Dec 30, 2014 01:18:02 am

Not too sure what you're on about, but Arsenal played West Ham this weekend. That's if I'm not mistaken.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #589: Dec 30, 2014 02:36:06 am
      My ratings:

Migs: I liked him. Comically bad with his kicking and still looks like he's got the yips or something similar, but kept it simple. Long as we don't expect or ask him to be an extra outfield player, he should be OK (even if it's only till we get one one else in). 6/10.

Can: Extremely encouraging display from the German. Clearly he is going to make a player, whether it's as a centre half or a holding mid I'm not sure, but I am sure he'll make it. 8/10.

Skrtel: I thought he did pretty well all round. Yet another player for whom the three centre halves brings the best out of. 7/10.

Sakho: Comedy moments aside is beginning to look like a proper defender. I'm probably biased as I've always liked him, but I thought he was very good again. He needs to leave it out with the tricks though, f****** ridiculous play that is, hence 6/10.

Manquillo: The spell out of the side has done him good. Defensively our best fullback at the club IMHO, and I like the kid. 7/10.

Moreno: Occasionally brainless, unfailingly breakneck. Did well, I just think that sometimes his feet outpace his brain. Good goal though. 7/10.

Henderson: His best game for ages, but why oh why did he go for the silly chest pass when we'd just gone 2-0 up. Then to compound it he was ball watching while Sighurdsen walked past him to score. Fortunately the good outweighed the bad. 7/10.

Lucas: After being overrun against Burnley came back with an excellent performance here. 8/10.

Coutinho: Absolutely mesmeric all night. When this lads on he's a fantastic little footballer, my MOM. 9/10.

Sterling: Well marshalled by the excellent Fernandez all night, very lucky not to get sent off. May yet happen. 6/10.

Lallana: Duracell performance capped by two goals, one of which was different class. Would have Ben MOM but for Sterlings brilliance.

Subs:

Markovic: Is beginning to look like a very classy footballer. 8/10.

Ballotelli and Borini: Both offski I think. 5/10.

Couldn't get away from work, so I had to DVR the game and I just finished watching.  This pretty much sums it up for me, but here are a few additional thoughts:

- This is the 3rd really good performance in 4 games with a back 3.  It seems to allow us to get the best out of several players, particularly our front 3.  I believe we will be seeing this formation for quite a while -- possibly all the way through the end of this season.

- This could well be the moment we look back at as Lallana's Liverpool breakthrough.  The first goal was pure effort -- he sprinted 40 yards to close down Fabianski on the off chance he could force a mistake, and I F***ing love that type of effort!!  The 2nd goal was a wonderfully composed run and finish.  We'll take much more of that Adam, please and thank you :)

- Coutinho.....  Wow!!  Just... WOW!!  Not much else I can say really.  If he played 30 games a year like he played today then he'd be on the Ballon D'or shortlist.  He just needs to find the consistency to do it more regularly, but that was F***ing brilliant.  His backheel flick for Lallana's goal was a thing of beauty!!

- I said after the Arsenal game that the 3-4-3 really doesn't suit Gerrard's game.  Despite winning against Burnley we didn't play particularly well, so it didn't really surprise me to see us play much better without him in the midfield 2.  It's sad to suggest, but if we continue on with the 3-4-3 then I think his playing time needs to be heavily restricted....

- Manquillo was solid, but I do think we'd actually be better with Markovic at RM/RWB and Moreno on the other flank.  Lazar just has so much quality in possession and attack, yet he is surprisingly willing and able to do the defensive duties required from that position. 

- I desperately wanted Balotelli to get a goal because I desperately want him to do well.... to find his best form.... to click and start banging in the goals on a consistent basis.... to get the critics off his back.... but sadly, I just don't think it will happen....  Sorry Mario, but I think your days are numbered.  At least you have Fabio for company  :-\

- Studge will fit into the front 3 of this system like a duck takes to water!!  The speed of movement, creativity, interchanging of positions, and 1 touch passing that we play in attack will see him banging in the goals on a regular basis once he gets to full fitness.  I just hope he is able to get fit and put his injury problems behind him. 

- Great performance!  Great result!  Merry F***ing Christmas, and goodnight  :)
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #590: Dec 30, 2014 03:15:38 am
      So no polls? Somebody is having a good night sleep too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #591: Dec 30, 2014 03:18:41 am
      Really decent performance and great to see that we're getting our mojo back at Anfield at last. Lot to like from mostly of the players put there tonight. Mom without a doubt was Coutinho for me, mesmeric display and he ran his socks off all night. Lallana rightfully getting all the plaudits for the goals was once a again superb. Why Brendan has spent most of the season playing one or the other of these lads is still beyond. Hot he seems to have figured it out now. We still need a couple of really decent signings, a striker and a keeper are a must. Maybe we don't need any defensive help if Can continues looking so accomplished at CB.

Lots to like and plenty to feel positive about going into the Leicester game.

PS. Jonno Shelvey really is a bellend! Was very funny though

Was hilarious that before the own goal he and Lallana seemed to be jawing at each other a bit and when Lallana saw that goal go in off Shelvey's dome Lallana laughed right in his face. You have to check it on the replay if you didn't notice it the first time you watched. It's comical.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #592: Dec 30, 2014 07:08:59 am
      Studge may come back sooner or later, whether we get another striker in Jan or not, with this 3-4-3, it is absolutely vital we get a right wing back. Hendo's performance yesterday was an absolute delight to watch. Getting in the box, those forward runs, running with their midfield men, helping out defence and as always tireless. This lad just cannot be wasted in the right wing.

Johnson can pack his bags, Flano just resuming training, though Manquillo was solid enough last night, we would like a Moreno on the right as well, don't we?
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #593: Dec 30, 2014 07:12:28 am
      I'm having a hard time picking my motm for all the right reasons. Watching the game (until I had to leave for work, w/25 min left) I was convinced coutinho was our best. Then from the hilight reels, I thought it was Lallana. Can was a real presence, as was Lucas.

My f*#k, what a ball from Hendo to feed sterling, who then hit the post. That was sensational.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #594: Dec 30, 2014 07:28:20 am

amazing after a good/great, performance from the lads, one comes out with a pessimistic  view
       Nobody is saying we are going to win the league or something,  but WE  are glad the lads got the points with a great performance , 
       and hoping to be the turning point of our bad season ,so far
       YNWA
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #595: Dec 30, 2014 08:09:07 am

Without starting Stevie we look a different team.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #596: Dec 30, 2014 08:13:25 am
      Much better from the lads, if we make some smart transfers in the winter, we could get the 4th place, hell we can even finish better than the scum.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #597: Dec 30, 2014 09:10:50 am
      Great display of football. Thought we controlled the ball very well. Coutinho is pure magic. Turning out to be our most important player by a country mile,  everything rightly going through him in attack. Barring the defensive fack up and migs passing I thought that was a perfect performance.

Swansea won't be brushed aside by many teams that easily. Top 4 Performance

Quick Reply