Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM vs. Swansea?

Mignolet
      1 (1.2%)
      Can
      2 (2.4%)
      Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lucas
      2 (2.4%)
      Henderson
      4 (4.9%)
      Coutinho
      39 (47.6%)
      Lallana
      34 (41.5%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Liverpool 4:1 Swansea. In game and post match glee.

Read 33525 times
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Swansea
      Reply #552: Dec 29, 2014 10:19:53 pm
      Thought Skrtel was fantastic today. :couch:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #553: Dec 29, 2014 10:21:15 pm
      Best performance since the Tottenham game, a joy to see us going forward. Defensively there is still errors there but that's for another day.

Only player who disappointed was Raheem, I think he could do with a break and the sooner Studge gets back the better.

So hard to choose between Lallana and Coutinho for MOM.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #554: Dec 29, 2014 10:24:25 pm
      In the tradition of "He scored 2 so he was man of the match"
      Coutinho deserved it, but F**k it they were both boss tonight.
      Thought the whole team were good tonight  I thought Coutinho just edged motm but wouldnt argue with anyones choice of the middle players t Adam and Henderson were both on it tonight
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #555: Dec 29, 2014 10:24:46 pm
      Good performance and win. Arsenal are away to Southampton next and can see them drawing it so we might be only 3 points behind them if we beat Leicster.

Keep winning and 4th spot will look much more achievable.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #556: Dec 29, 2014 10:29:32 pm
      Thought Skrtel was fantastic today. :couch:

He was ok but wouldn't describe him fantastic for not picking up Bony on their goal.

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #557: Dec 29, 2014 10:30:07 pm
      Apart  from Migs could this team without Gerrard AND Sturridge  be the NEW Liverpool?  Thought cou was fantastic tonight !
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Liverpool 4:1 Swanswa. In game and post match glee.
      Reply #558: Dec 29, 2014 10:33:55 pm
      I can't do a MOTM poll tonight as I'm on my pad. Sorry.

But I was not expecting that result. Nice to be pleasantly surprised for once.
      Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #559: Dec 29, 2014 10:35:22 pm
      I think it was the fact Raheem had been kicked and pushed all game and really got nothing, that they let him get away with that one, twas only an affectionate pat if you ask me :)

Well I wouldn't have had any complaints if that was red and I doubt Raheem would have. I don't think a little bi*ch slap like that should be red but Refs are within their rights to do it.

Good job that ref was blind as a f**king bat though.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,327 posts | 773 
      Reply #560: Dec 29, 2014 10:35:40 pm
      I am just happy for another victory for the Reds, watching the game at my local. Despite all the bickering going on to the poor start to the season, all I can say is get behind the side and onwards and upwards.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #561: Dec 29, 2014 10:36:20 pm
      Raheem's retaliation is a red card. You can't raise your hand to an opposition player and strike their face.

However, Shelvey should of been off as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the FA take action but both refs saw it clearly so they shouldn't really.
      Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #562: Dec 29, 2014 10:39:29 pm
      Maybe but I can't even see Gary Monk bringing it up, was a feather light open palmed slap, Sterling got plenty off him all night.
      Great win and some momentum building.

Raheem's retaliation is a red card. You can't raise your hand to an opposition player and strike their face.

However, Shelvey should of been off as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the FA take action but both refs saw it clearly so they shouldn't really.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #563: Dec 29, 2014 10:50:35 pm
      I can't do a MOTM poll tonight as I'm on my pad. Sorry.

Being on your period is not an excuse to shirk your duties, couple of paracetamol and a hot water bottle, and you'll be fine
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #564: Dec 29, 2014 10:52:29 pm
      Great result, and good performance. At 2-1 ahead, thought it could go either way, then Lallana scored an excellent goal and felt a lot more comfortable. Another 3 point gap to try and bridge at the weekend, but all you can do is what we ARE doing - win matches.

Lallana and Cou were excellent, Cou probably in general play was for me the standout, but will give Lallana MOTM for his general play and the two goals. They are linking up really well.
      Thought Sterling was a bit less effective tonight, but did well enough. Not a guy to hold the ball up with his back to defenders - but he takes up good positions which the other 'strikers' don't.
      Thought Hendo was good too, 2 assists, good energy - the fact that we didn't miss SG says something, he's more comfortable in that position.
      Can - well, was wondering why he wasn't getting his chance - but now that he's in, hard to see him dropped unless he gets injured - gives us a bit of class and composure on the ball in the centre of defense which has been lacking. And he's a decent defender, brave.
      And the FBs came in and did pretty well too, Moreno getting a crucial first goal.
      Migs again though looked shaky in spots ie. kicking the ball, but did made some decent saves in fairness to him too.

All in all a good solid win, continues the improvement and builds on the confidence. Man, if we can bring in a 20 goal a season striker, we'd really be back on track. Let's keep it going v Leicester...
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #565: Dec 29, 2014 10:53:30 pm
      That was a good performance overall and very positive that we closed the year out with a win.

Much more mobile with that front 3 and Hendo in the center, amazing what quality a ball playing center back can bring to a team.

Defensively still shakey Skrtel with his usual antics, Sakho hit and miss with Can having a few issues with his positioning but nothing he can't learn.

A good thing Monk didn't throw Gomis on with Bony them two upfront together would have absolutely terrorised our lads at the back.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #566: Dec 29, 2014 10:55:22 pm
      Much Better !!.. Well chuffed I am..
      Solid performances all round..

Sakho's a bit nuts though with his back flicks out of defence but he got away with it tonight..
      and added to that Mignolet's distribution was woeful..which made me very nervous..he just looks like he doesn't have a clue when he gets the ball at his feet...

Lalana my MOTM for his Beardsley like pressing and his class finish for his second.

Said we needed goals tonight and we got them.. bit of luck along the way but hey ho !! we got them..

Job Done !!

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,939 posts | 285 
      Reply #567: Dec 29, 2014 11:08:12 pm
      Started well, and just carried on with a good all round performance. Should have been a mile ahead by half time. Second half was a bit more open but we sealed the win well after a manic 10 minutes.

Pros:
      + Started well. Finally! Made such a difference to be pressing them from the off.
      + Lallana's best game in a Liverpool shirt. Great energy, tidy touches and great feet. Really impressed me.
      + Coutinho's getting right back up to his best, bodes very well for the future once Sturridge is back.
      + Can is a monster. Id personally have him as a DM on his own, but his versatility and composure on the ball is great.
      + Moreno gave us a good options, and bombing forward and adding a body in the box, adds a new dynamic to our game.
      + Can't believe the stick Mignolet is getting. He didnt dally on the ball and hoofed it clear when needed, even if he did find touch every now and again, he was picking the right option and not being stupid on the ball, a marked improvement on previous performances.

Cons:
      - Sakho F***ing about doing Cruyff turns when hes the last man, is not what I want to see.
      - Lucas was wasteful. Covered ground well, but kept giving the ball away.
      - Still no clean sheet.

Roll on 2015!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #568: Dec 29, 2014 11:09:42 pm
      Can, Coutinho and Lallana - what a performance.

Makes a real difference when we have a holding midfielder who covers a lot of ground - with Gerrard and Lucas playing that role, they can't run and they are exploited.

With Can, he took the game by the scruff of the neck and it contributed to us controlling the game.

Cannot stress how important it is for us to have excellent holding midfielders who can cover lots of ground in good time. The foundations of a successful team that controls games are built upon successful defensive midfielders - its time Can was starting every game.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #569: Dec 29, 2014 11:13:38 pm
      He was ok but wouldn't describe him fantastic for not picking up Bony on their goal.

Still a liability I agree.

Thank F**k he's suspended for the next game.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #570: Dec 29, 2014 11:18:47 pm
      Great way to round off a year, that on the whole has been absolutely brilliant for us.

Best performance of this season IMO, hope we can carry it into 2015.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #571: Dec 29, 2014 11:33:01 pm
      My ratings:

Migs: I liked him. Comically bad with his kicking and still looks like he's got the yips or something similar, but kept it simple. Long as we don't expect or ask him to be an extra outfield player, he should be OK (even if it's only till we get one one else in). 6/10.

Can: Extremely encouraging display from the German. Clearly he is going to make a player, whether it's as a centre half or a holding mid I'm not sure, but I am sure he'll make it. 8/10.

Skrtel: I thought he did pretty well all round. Yet another player for whom the three centre halves brings the best out of. 7/10.

Sakho: Comedy moments aside is beginning to look like a proper defender. I'm probably biased as I've always liked him, but I thought he was very good again. He needs to leave it out with the tricks though, f****** ridiculous play that is, hence 6/10.

Manquillo: The spell out of the side has done him good. Defensively our best fullback at the club IMHO, and I like the kid. 7/10.

Moreno: Occasionally brainless, unfailingly breakneck. Did well, I just think that sometimes his feet outpace his brain. Good goal though. 7/10.

Henderson: His best game for ages, but why oh why did he go for the silly chest pass when we'd just gone 2-0 up. Then to compound it he was ball watching while Sighurdsen walked past him to score. Fortunately the good outweighed the bad. 7/10.

Lucas: After being overrun against Burnley came back with an excellent performance here. 8/10.

Coutinho: Absolutely mesmeric all night. When this lads on he's a fantastic little footballer, my MOM. 9/10.

Sterling: Well marshalled by the excellent Fernandez all night, very lucky not to get sent off. May yet happen. 6/10.

Lallana: Duracell performance capped by two goals, one of which was different class. Would have Ben MOM but for Sterlings brilliance.

Subs:

Markovic: Is beginning to look like a very classy footballer. 8/10.

Ballotelli and Borini: Both offski I think. 5/10.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #572: Dec 29, 2014 11:35:25 pm

Pros:
      + Can't believe the stick Mignolet is getting. He didnt dally on the ball and hoofed it clear when needed, even if he did find touch every now and again, he was picking the right option and not being stupid on the ball, a marked improvement on previous performances.

Cons:
      - Lucas was wasteful. Covered ground well, but kept giving the ball away.

Have to disagree with these. Thought Migs distribution was terrible and put pressure on us, but luckily enough, we were able to pass it out.

As for Lucas being wasteful by giving the ball away, are you sure? :S I thought he kept the ball ticking and the midfield/team was composed with him and Coutinho.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #573: Dec 29, 2014 11:37:23 pm
      Beat me to it, PurpleMonkey.

Mignolet's distribution was extremely poor. And Lucas was third best on the pitch tonight - always there to take the pass and covered a sh*t load of ground. Held the midfield together really well.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #574: Dec 29, 2014 11:46:42 pm
      Not long got in from the game, impressive performance apart from the lapse of concentration for the goal but some good movement and high work rate and of course great result!

Mignolet-6 (Looked slightly more comfortable despite the crowds groans everytime hes given the ball, but every goal kick is soo predictable out wide or either in the stands)
      Can-7 (played the odd dodgy ball that could have been punished but looked pretty sure, liking him at CB seems pretty comfortable)
      Skrtel-6.5 (got stuck in well, little dissappointed he picked up the yellow to get himself banned)
      Sakho-7.5 (Again seems like the crowd are on his back everytime he gets the ball, for me he is class plays some class balls and confident in defence)
      Manquillo-7 (Liking this kid, seems very consistent and rarely seen him do anything wrong, only problem perhaps in a wing-back role is he doesn't do enough going forward, but definitely better today)
      Henderson-6 (bit off an off-day I think he had, gave the ball away stupidly in the lead up to the goal we conceded)
      Lucas-6 (pretty average performance, done his job well and won a few balls)
      Moreno-7 (good performance from the lad, made up he got his goal considering he practically made the move himself)
      Coutinho-8 (magic, very very close 2nd for motm, some magical touches and terrific to setup Lallana's 2nd)
      Lallana-8.5 (my MOTM, worked very well for the 1st goal to close the keeper and terrific footwork and finish for the 2nd, class with the ball at his feet)
      Sterling-6.5 (seemed a little isolated and never had many chances, but one thing I definitely like is that he pulls the defence apart by making runs in behind, leaves space for Cout + Lallana to run into, whereas Balotelli always comes deep to get the ball and clogs up the areas)

Much better performance again though and can't help but feel that with Sturridge we can really push in the first half of 2015, only 5 points on 4th.

Quick Reply