Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 59613 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #138: Jan 02, 2015 05:26:31 pm
      Goes without saying he would be offered a bag of sh*te in the form of a contract, another little nudge in the direction of the door.
      FSG/NESV/JWH are as cynically consistent as ever.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #139: Jan 02, 2015 05:56:02 pm
      Goes without saying he would be offered a bag of sh*te in the form of a contract, another little nudge in the direction of the door.
      FSG/NESV/JWH are as cynically consistent as ever.

Poor form Stuey....bag on the owners in their own thread, this thread is for remembering Stevie's contributions to this club.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #140: Jan 02, 2015 06:07:33 pm
      Think that league cup semi against Chelsea we're going to see a very motivated Steven Gerrard, he'd love to lift another trophy before he's off.

Was just having a think earlier on about some of the goals he scored and I honestly can't pick a favourite, they were all absolute belters!
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #141: Jan 02, 2015 06:08:04 pm
      Basically, as a wee youngster at 23, I cannot remember supporting Liverpool without Steven Gerrard. He is a genuine inspiration. There are so many horrific things associated with modern football, but Stevie will be remembered for me as towering above the rest of the football world. One man, one team, one love.

No matter what sh*t the club was going through, no matter how many other teams tried to sign him, all he wanted to do was win things, and win them with Liverpool FC. He is one of our own. In his prime years he was the best player in the entire world. No doubt at all.

So many fantastic memories that will last a lifetime, and it's all because of this man.

Now for the sad note: The chances of there being another one like him, with the state of modern and grassroots football, is slim. The end of so many eras.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #142: Jan 02, 2015 06:27:08 pm
      I've been very fortunate to see great players for Liverpool over the last 3 decades and can honestly say for me he is right up there alongside Kenny and Rush , Tough decision to make Stevie but the best I think to go out at the top and not over the hill like lots of players do YNWA
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #143: Jan 02, 2015 06:31:11 pm
      Gerrrard is finding it tough because his own have turned against him, no other reason Rush

Still our best cm, our loss not his

Far better than any other cm bar maybe can. Nobody else can even pass for Christ sake, sure they can run but football is played with the ball, remember that

So many owe him an apology

Those who spent the last couple of seasons  saying we'd be better off without him( and I remember some on here saying it even before BR was manager) may find they should've been careful what they wished for.

As you say, we don't have another midfielder remotely in his class. And finding one is not going to be easy.
      How long ago did Roy Keane leave ManU? Have they actually managed to replace him yet?  With Carrick? Herrera? Fellaini?
      They are still f***in looking!
      And Keane wasnt as good as Gerrard.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #144: Jan 02, 2015 06:34:45 pm
      More and more gutted as the day has gone on. For the2nd straight season we will be losing our best player and unbelievably (to me) some fans thnk itis for the best.

Really hope Stevie shuns the MLS and finds his way to one of the biggest clubs in Europe where he might get the league winners medal his career deserves. Hate that he is going but would love to see him achieve more honours at a club like Bayern.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #145: Jan 02, 2015 06:36:42 pm
      Loan him back during the MLS break.

I bet the owners just offered him a shocking contract and Gerrard not wanting to talk bad about anything to do with the club has just said its for a new experience or whatever. Don't buy it for a second, he's Liverpool through and through, offer him the contract he wanted which was probably more to do with the length of it rather than the financial side of it and he'd stay until he retired. His age means he no longer fits the model at this club.

A lot more to this whole thing IMO, especially given the timing of it and the fact they haven't actually been in talks over a new deal for very long have they?
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #146: Jan 02, 2015 06:47:58 pm
      Loan him back during the MLS break.

I bet the owners just offered him a shocking contract and Gerrard not wanting to talk bad about anything to do with the club has just said its for a new experience or whatever. Don't buy it for a second, he's Liverpool through and through, offer him the contract he wanted which was probably more to do with the length of it rather than the financial side of it and he'd stay until he retired. His age means he no longer fits the model at this club.

A lot more to this whole thing IMO, especially given the timing of it and the fact they haven't actually been in talks over a new deal for very long have they?

Without a doubt mate, he imitated in the summer that he would like to finish his career at the club, basically said it was up to Liverpool Football Club. What's changed? They fooked it up plain and simple, maybe the terms were derisory but as you say, I suspect he would have liked a two year deal. And maybe, as Carra has suggested, the club could have included something in there with regards to coaching within the final year.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #147: Jan 02, 2015 06:48:47 pm
      some in here (who have been giving him the stick for past months , starting from his unfortunate slip with the chavs) might be happy at the moment seeing the news about stevie.
       but I am sure those same people will post how much we are missing him when he is finally gone
       gutted to hear , we are going to lose our icon, the  inspration to other players, and our game solver so many times
       but this had to happen  one day or another

GOODBYE-LEGEND
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v8rZaczGQY

YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #148: Jan 02, 2015 06:50:23 pm
      Poor form Stuey....bag on the owners in their own thread, this thread is for remembering Stevie's contributions to this club.

The comment was a follow on from JD's earlier post about the content of the contract offered to SG.

edit: there do seem several subsequent comments in the same vein.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #149: Jan 02, 2015 06:54:31 pm
      Anyone thinking Stevie is still our best player need to wake up out of their stupor.
      He was the best in his position unfortunately that was a few years ago now. Just need to accept this is the inevitability of being mortal. I can't see Stevie wanting to play the odd game or 20-30 mins hence why he is not re-signing.

He has given his all for LFC and deserves to see another challenge, style, culture in a slower league. No player is bigger than the club and This scenario is best for Stevie and the club.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #150: Jan 02, 2015 06:55:42 pm
      More and more gutted as the day has gone on. For the2nd straight season we will be losing our best player and unbelievably (to me) some fans thnk itis for the best.

Really hope Stevie shuns the MLS and finds his way to one of the biggest clubs in Europe where he might get the league winners medal his career deserves. Hate that he is going but would love to see him achieve more honours at a club like Bayern.

Dont think it'll be Bayern, as they already have Alonso playing basically the role that Stevie would play.

But the very fact Guardiola wanted Alonso proves your point.
      It'd be interesting to compare the ground covered per game by him (or say Pirlo) with Stevie. I'm pretty sure Stevie covers a fair bit more.
      (His legs haven't gone, as some are saying. He doesn't have that surge of acceleration of his prime, but he can still play hard for 90 mins.)

Yet Guardiola still wanted the slower, less mobile Alonso, and Juve still want Pirlo, cos world class passers are few and far between.
      I'd rather we weren't losing ours.
      IM
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | 12 
      Reply #151: Jan 02, 2015 07:15:54 pm
      I am so sad...

THANKS for all the memories, Mr.Gerrard !
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #152: Jan 02, 2015 07:21:16 pm
      But the very fact Guardiola wanted Alonso proves your point.
      Anyone thinking Stevie is still our best player need to wake up out of their stupor.
      He was the best in his position unfortunately that was a few years ago now. Just need to accept this is the inevitability of being mortal. I can't see Stevie wanting to play the odd game or 20-30 mins hence why he is not re-signing.

He has given his all for LFC and deserves to see another challenge, style, culture in a slower league. No player is bigger than the club and This scenario is best for Stevie and the club.

Can you list the players at the club who are better? Particularly In his position, Just interested to know what you think

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #153: Jan 02, 2015 07:21:45 pm
      I have to say, I find the reaction to Stevie saying he's leaving to be very weird.  People are acting like someone died or something.  He is leaving; so what would have been the... opposite?  if he had signed a contract extension?  Well, he is past it.  He is slow.  He drifts in and out of games (and that's being kind).  Often times he is invisible.  He is a liability in midfield as he doesn't have the pace (even when he's well rested) to keep up with our speed in attack, and yet when he is sat further back in a holding position he doesn't have the pace to protect the back four and he gets blown by again and again during the game as if he isn't even there.

So the other possibility would have been for him to stay another few years, and play less and less while still earning exorbitant amounts of quid.  He's currently the highest earner at the club on £140,000 a week.  He wanted a raise on that.  He wanted to earn even MORE money, whilst showing that he is years past his best.  For comparison, Coutinho is on about £60K a week, Sterling is on £40K a week, and Markovic is on £35K a week.  So Stevie currently makes more than those three combined despite contributing less than any of them individually.  And he wanted a RAISE.  I'm really sorry but he doesn't deserve it.  Unless suddenly we are going to be handing out contracts for sentimental purposes.  "Sure, you won't contribute much, but you're a legend so here, have £150,000 quid a week, just for the hell of it."  That is the exact kind of financial suicide that nearly saw our club go under only a few years back.

So, Stevie is leaving the club.  It's his decision.  He contributes very little on the pitch and anyone who talks about us missing his "leadership" qualities probably only started watching us yesterday.  He is the quietest captain of anyone in the league.  And if you will say "he's the 'lead by example' type," well, his "example" has been piss poor for quite some time now, so that doesn't work either (not to mention the fact that the whole squad wanted him to speak up under H&G but he was too afraid and didn't want to rock the boat according to Carra). 

The constant pressure to fit him somewhere into the team despite his clearly being past it is going to be the death of us, look at Leicester, we had a nice setup against Swansea, but then Gerrard came back into the team, so that meant Manquillo got benched because Henderson had to play RB, it meant there was one less mobile player in midfield, and suddenly a dynamic team looks stuck in the mud---all because there is some rule written in stone that Stevie has to start.  it's ridiculous.

He is a legend and arguably the club's greatest ever player although I think Kenny pips him to that, just.  But the moaning and wailing about us not being able to replace him and this is a tragedy is way over the top.  If we're talking about the Gerrard of 2005, yes, it would be hard to replace him.  But the reality is we have been playing without that Gerrard for several years now.  So him leaving isn't going to change anything in that department.

Anyway.  Celebrate what he achieved at the club.  But don't cry yourself to sleep over what we are losing because whatever you think we are losing, I can't guarantee you we already lost it years ago.

How do you know that he wanted more money ? That seems bullshit of the highest order right there, maybe the owners or Brendan decided to spread that rumour to appease the fans, i don't think he wanted a raise, they just wanted to get rid of him because of the wages. These poor bas**rds don't know anything about loyalty, what a player like Gerrard represents and how he could help with his experience the young lads at the club and the foreign players, to explain them what this club means.

He should've been offered a 4 year deal, with a reduced role in the team, he deserves to end his career at us. Even if he wanted a higher wage, which i think is a big lie, he deserved to get it for the years of service for this club. He was on 140k/week, this is an average salary when you compare it to all other teams in top 4, even Adebayor gets more money than him.

We are going backwards, who will be the leader ? Martin Circus Skrtel ? Jordan Woodlegs Henderson ? Dejan Useless Lovren ?

I tell you what, Agger was the only one who deserved and could lead this side and he was shown the door because he had something called character and stood up to Brendan, something the rest of this lot aren't capable of.

I think Rodgers wanted Gerrard out too, he was the only one who could question him, the same he did with Agger, Borrell, the man has an ego bigger than Mourinho, Van Gaal and Whiskey nose combined, and he won absolutely fuckall.

Hopefully we'll get rid of these morons, and those who replace them will convince him to stay.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #154: Jan 02, 2015 07:24:15 pm
      Players like Stevie and Jamie are almost impossible to come by nowadays, being bred and born Liverpudlians obviously have their heart and soul in the club. Anyway all the best for the future Stevie.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #155: Jan 02, 2015 07:43:14 pm
      How do you know that he wanted more money ? That seems bullshit of the highest order right there, maybe the owners or Brendan decided to spread that rumour to appease the fans, i don't think he wanted a raise, they just wanted to get rid of him because of the wages. These poor bas**rds don't know anything about loyalty, what a player like Gerrard represents and how he could help with his experience the young lads at the club and the foreign players, to explain them what this club means.

He should've been offered a 4 year deal, with a reduced role in the team, he deserves to end his career at us. Even if he wanted a higher wage, which i think is a big lie, he deserved to get it for the years of service for this club. He was on 140k/week, this is an average salary when you compare it to all other teams in top 4, even Adebayor gets more money than him.

We are going backwards, who will be the leader ? Martin Circus Skrtel ? Jordan Woodlegs Henderson ? Dejan Useless Lovren ?

I tell you what, Agger was the only one who deserved and could lead this side and he was shown the door because he had something called character and stood up to Brendan, something the rest of this lot aren't capable of.

I think Rodgers wanted Gerrard out too, he was the only one who could question him, the same he did with Agger, Borrell, the man has an ego bigger than Mourinho, Van Gaal and Whiskey nose combined, and he won absolutely fuckall.

Hopefully we'll get rid of these morons, and those who replace them will convince him to stay.

Well said! The company's pr team get more ridiculous and offensive every day.

The lastest lie? "We almost went bankrupt by paying wages for stars". LMFAO.

So dumping purchase debt on the books and selling all the stars has nothing to do with it? Its about time these comedians grew up..

Shows what utter contempt these charlatans have for the fans. Sending some jokers online to peddle crap all day.

4 years in under Scamway and the team's no better than when Hicks and Gilette were being booted out.
      Yet listen to their "little soldiers" and we've had a great year. John  Henry will be sending us dogshit in the post, and his little minions will be saying we should write thankyou letters... :roll:

I wonder who will replace Stevie. Probably a kid or a cheapo,  the type of which replaced all our other former stars.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #156: Jan 02, 2015 07:45:08 pm
      Players like Stevie and Jamie are almost impossible to come by nowadays, being bred and born Liverpudlians obviously have their heart and soul in the club. Anyway all the best for the future Stevie.

THey certainly are when  the objective is to slash the wage bill by 450k a week, each transfer window.

And when they want to use player sales to build a new stand  OR a 49MILLION SET OF TOM HICKS DRAWINGS (against their express undertakings I might add).
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #157: Jan 02, 2015 07:48:27 pm
      I'm genuinely struggling to find the right words to describe exactly how I feel right now and you know what? There aren't any; they don't exist. Maybe later.  :-\

Same here.

Just that he is the best we've ever had in my opinion. 

Legend.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #158: Jan 02, 2015 07:53:08 pm
      at least we didn't witness something like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIW8bsj09eI#ws
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 08:04:17 pm by JD »
      LFCexiled
      Reply #159: Jan 02, 2015 07:55:40 pm
      Thread title:

Thankyou & farewell Steven Gerrard

Keep on F***ing topic, if you want to slag the owners off or want to do anything other than pay tribute to the man who the topics about then you're in the wrong F***ing place and there are countless threads to spout off in.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #160: Jan 02, 2015 08:03:59 pm
      Agree

I know it's a thankless task at times running the site but I think any posts dragging other sh*te into this thread that's serving a different purpose should just be deleted. Mine and yours included   ;)

Surely it's not that difficult to come in here, read the stuff people have posted in thanks to a living legend, say your own thanks and F**k off.

Petty crap leave at the door

The sites littered with it now mate, petty little tarts scoring points in some kind of who's got the tightest pussy cat fight.

Anyway.

Stevie Gerrard, living legend and possibly Brendan Rodgers successor. ;D

Quick Reply