Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard

Read 60555 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: Thank you & farewell Steven Gerrard
      Reply #161: Jan 02, 2015 08:08:59 pm
      Dont think it'll be Bayern, as they already have Alonso playing basically the role that Stevie would play.

But the very fact Guardiola wanted Alonso proves your point.
      It'd be interesting to compare the ground covered per game by him (or say Pirlo) with Stevie. I'm pretty sure Stevie covers a fair bit more.
      (His legs haven't gone, as some are saying. He doesn't have that surge of acceleration of his prime, but he can still play hard for 90 mins.)

Yet Guardiola still wanted the slower, less mobile Alonso, and Juve still want Pirlo, cos world class passers are few and far between.
      I'd rather we weren't losing ours.

Excellent post. Whole heartedly agree with this train of thought.

KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #162: Jan 02, 2015 08:10:31 pm
      I started watching football and following Liverpool after the World Cup in France back in 1998. I was 12 years old and I had no idea I will be privileged to witness the creation of one of the best football players ever and one of our biggest legends ever. I don't really recall his beginnings, but I will never forget when he was handed the captaincy armband by Sami, the goal in the 90th minute at the FA Cup final against West Ham United, the goal against Olympiakos, the moment after he scored that goal in the final in Istanbul, running toward the center encouraging both players and fans to keep going, to believe we can do it, the camera kiss at the old toilet, last years "we go again", the countless times of watching a game and he passes a ball the way he only knows and I'm thinking did he just do that with his foot ... :)   

It's sad that he didn't get to lift that one cup he wanted so much and he was so, so close to it. In my opinion, he is the only player in modern day football who is a fan-footballer, who really knows what love and loyalty toward the club, means.

Captain Fantastic, I wish you all the best, from the heart, you have given us your life and for that thank you, thank you for all the great moments, for making me love this club even more, for over 15 years of being Liverpool and Liverpool being Gerrard, to me nothing will ever be the same again.

#8 YNWA

KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #163: Jan 02, 2015 08:23:44 pm
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #164: Jan 02, 2015 08:24:06 pm
      Thanks for all the memories Stevie lad.
      YNWA whatever your decision is you've done above and beyond for this football club good luck.
      Now let's go pick up a pot or two to send you out in style.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #165: Jan 02, 2015 09:15:30 pm
      I have to say, I find the reaction to Stevie saying he's leaving to be very weird.  People are acting like someone died or something.  He is leaving; so what would have been the... opposite?  if he had signed a contract extension?  Well, he is past it.  He is slow.  He drifts in and out of games (and that's being kind).  Often times he is invisible.  He is a liability in midfield as he doesn't have the pace (even when he's well rested) to keep up with our speed in attack, and yet when he is sat further back in a holding position he doesn't have the pace to protect the back four and he gets blown by again and again during the game as if he isn't even there.

So the other possibility would have been for him to stay another few years, and play less and less while still earning exorbitant amounts of quid.  He's currently the highest earner at the club on £140,000 a week.  He wanted a raise on that.  He wanted to earn even MORE money, whilst showing that he is years past his best.  For comparison, Coutinho is on about £60K a week, Sterling is on £40K a week, and Markovic is on £35K a week.  So Stevie currently makes more than those three combined despite contributing less than any of them individually.  And he wanted a RAISE.  I'm really sorry but he doesn't deserve it.  Unless suddenly we are going to be handing out contracts for sentimental purposes.  "Sure, you won't contribute much, but you're a legend so here, have £150,000 quid a week, just for the hell of it."  That is the exact kind of financial suicide that nearly saw our club go under only a few years back.

So, Stevie is leaving the club.  It's his decision.  He contributes very little on the pitch and anyone who talks about us missing his "leadership" qualities probably only started watching us yesterday.  He is the quietest captain of anyone in the league.  And if you will say "he's the 'lead by example' type," well, his "example" has been piss poor for quite some time now, so that doesn't work either (not to mention the fact that the whole squad wanted him to speak up under H&G but he was too afraid and didn't want to rock the boat according to Carra). 

The constant pressure to fit him somewhere into the team despite his clearly being past it is going to be the death of us, look at Leicester, we had a nice setup against Swansea, but then Gerrard came back into the team, so that meant Manquillo got benched because Henderson had to play RB, it meant there was one less mobile player in midfield, and suddenly a dynamic team looks stuck in the mud---all because there is some rule written in stone that Stevie has to start.  it's ridiculous.

He is a legend and arguably the club's greatest ever player although I think Kenny pips him to that, just.  But the moaning and wailing about us not being able to replace him and this is a tragedy is way over the top.  If we're talking about the Gerrard of 2005, yes, it would be hard to replace him.  But the reality is we have been playing without that Gerrard for several years now.  So him leaving isn't going to change anything in that department.

Anyway.  Celebrate what he achieved at the club.  But don't cry yourself to sleep over what we are losing because whatever you think we are losing, I can't guarantee you we already lost it years ago.

Never one to miss an opportunity to be controversial and say things in a manner that is guaranteed to wind up other posters.

- You can pick out any player at the club this season, none of them have hit the high notes of last year, not Henderson, not Sterling, not Coutinho not any of them. The skipper falls into the same category but he still has plenty to offer. You bang on about him being utterly faded and forget how well he performed last season when he was superb.

- With regards your comments on leadership. It comes in many forms, it isn't just about screaming And shouting on the pitch, it is about presence, it's about setting an example on and off the pitch,it's about what is said in the tunnel, in the changing room before the game and at half time, and on the training ground, it's about helping new players settle in, it's about being professional, it's about helping the younger players when they make the step up. You don't think his leadership qualities will be missed? Do me a favour.

- As for the claims you have made with regards to his salary demands. I didn't know you were an ITK? Perhaps you should get yourself on twitter and get a bit of a following

- Sorry so many of us have been getting sentimental but I'm guessing sentiment is not one of your strong points
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #166: Jan 02, 2015 09:25:29 pm
      Agree

I know it's a thankless task at times running the site but I think any posts dragging other sh*te into this thread that's serving a different purpose should just be deleted. Mine and yours included  ;)

Surely it's not that difficult to come in here, read the stuff people have posted in thanks to a living legend, say your own thanks and f**k off.

Petty crap leave at the door

It's a fair point mate but with another 5 months of the season to come and the club still competing in 4 competitions the farewell bit still has a ways to go. A lot has been posted about the skipper over the past couple of years and it has at times polarised the dans in here I don't think those debates are just going to stop just like that. Also the fact the skipper was talking positively about staying on as long as possible and finishing his career at the club as recently as the summer has left a bad taste in the mouths of some (myself included) so thanks and bye aren't necessarily at the forefront of my mind at the moment. I'm pissed off and feeling deflated.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #167: Jan 02, 2015 09:39:20 pm
      It's a fair point mate but with another 5 months of the season to come and the club still competing in 4 competitions the farewell bit still has a ways to go. A lot has been posted about the skipper over the past couple of years and it has at times polarised the dans in here I don't think those debates are just going to stop just like that. Also the fact the skipper was talking positively about staying on as long as possible and finishing his career at the club as recently as the summer has left a bad taste in the mouths of some (myself included) so thanks and bye aren't necessarily at the forefront of my mind at the moment. I'm pissed off and feeling deflated.

I only meant in this particular thread mate

Plenty of debate to be had but to de-rail this particular thread with arguments and non related stuff but saying thanks to the skipper as the thread is meant to be about doesn't feel right to me

I agree with you though, I'm gutted that the day is upon us.. Quicker than I felt it would or should be

People could come in here every day and thank the skipper for a different thing he has done for us and there wouldn't be enough time
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #168: Jan 02, 2015 09:46:27 pm
      First time I truly appreciated what a player we had on our hands was late 90s, don't know what year, I'm guessing the first season he broke through. We lost 3-2 to the mancs, I remember Friedel in goal wearing an awful cap. I watched it in Spain with a manc loving mate, was completely drunk and heartbroken to lose the game and Kop a load of flak BUT the absolute silver lining was watching Gerrard and thinking 'fook me what a player this kid is gonna be and I can't wait to see it'
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 09:58:21 pm by Scottbot »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #169: Jan 02, 2015 09:48:07 pm

Lest we forget, the journey he has made.. from this young egg pic on his debut I honestly had no incline that he would go on to become such an influential player for us on and off the pitch..

I just think the timing of his decision could go either way for the 1st team, we either excel from here on in like a weight off the clubs shoulders or we collapse and it all goes wrong and Stevie becomes the fall guy.

One things for sure, The Bitters and the Mancs are gonna have to find someone else to take the piss out of now when they sing..

Fantastic memories I will cherish.. Cheers Stevie..

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #170: Jan 02, 2015 10:16:10 pm
      Anyone read the Rafa Benitez Twitter /web ? "Liverpool fc is losing it's red heartbeat " what a fantastic sentiment !
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #171: Jan 02, 2015 11:37:31 pm
      Why are people so upset? I'm made up and yes he does rank in my top players ever but would we want to see the gradual decline in a player of this caliber?
      As Bob Paisley said etc let their legs go on someone else's pitch or whatever. Some of our players  don't do their own thing because they look to SG on the pitch, often they come into their own when he isn't on the pitch.
      Leadership... don't worry too much about that area. There are leaders in our team that are in the shadows of the unquestionable one.
      Not mocking him, but it makes perfect sense for the team to move forward now please.
      He is allowed to play in conditions in the USA where it'll be less pressure and a big pay packet... also a new experience/holiday for his family etc. win win. Good luck Stevie.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #172: Jan 02, 2015 11:42:24 pm
      Stevie is a big boy. If he wanted to stay, he'd stay in some capacity. Not buying any conspiracy. Don't think he'd have been overly concerned that his staying would provide fuel for 'we need to talk about gerrard' crowd. He's bigger than that. Do think he himself feels he's starting the downslope, but decided he wants to play on for as long as possible. He has set high standards for himself at LFC and wants to be remembered for those - but he still has some years left in him. And why not take the opportunity maybe to travel, live somewhere else for a while - he's paid his dues to us already, and then some. I respect his decision as his own and wish him all the very best in whatever he does next.

Oh, I look forward to seeing him back in some capacity some day... it's not 'goodbye', just 'until next time' :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #173: Jan 03, 2015 12:29:29 am
      One of the first players I've grown up with. It really is sad seeing him wind down his time in a Liverpool shirt.

From 17 to 34 I've watched him grow from the basin headed scally to the finest midfielder of his generation. Time waits for no man, and I think it is time. Time to say thank you and farewell to Steven Gerrard club legend.

How about a repeat of the treble and a top 4 finish from 2001 to crown it all off?  :scarf:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #174: Jan 03, 2015 12:37:27 am
      What a player, what a captain, what an ambassador, what a legend.

Even though you know people can't go on forever, it's hard to imagine a Liverpool team without him in it. 

He to me epitomizes what the game is supposed to be.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #175: Jan 03, 2015 01:12:51 am
      I think if you value Steven Gerrard as a player, then seeing other peoples opinions of him in this thread, which might be on a slightly negative vibe, it shouldn't really bother you.

He's a footballer of a principle, elite, magnitude. You won't see the likes again.

Whatever politics sh*te follows it. Just yawn and move on. It's not worth reacting.

Saying that though, the only time I met Stevie G, he was a right miserable f**ker? Probably because he had to see my ugly face though!!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #176: Jan 03, 2015 04:00:43 am
      You can have all the Lampards or Giggs you want but there will be one Steven Gerrard. A player so devoted to the club he loved so much...

His heart will always be here evem if his body is not. A sad day indeed when he plays his last game come this 16th May.

Let us remember him for what he has given us; the happiness and sadness we shared together. Istanbul, FA Cup 2006 to name a few will always be in our hearts.

Good luck to our captain Steven Gerrard. There's no saying goodbye as we will wait the day you'll be back
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #177: Jan 03, 2015 06:14:59 am
      He could have won multiple league medals, could have walked to any top team in the world. Instead he stayed with us even during the dark days of the club. Proper legend.

We are loosing something big. Too bad BR managed Gerrard so poorly.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #178: Jan 03, 2015 08:00:15 am
      Stevie.... thank you for your years of dedicated and loyal service.  You have helped us fans dream and taste success many times throughout the years. As your career as a red draws to an end, you will not be forgotten.  Your passion and love for liverpoool will last forever in our hearts.

We wish you the best in the next chapter of your life.  You are a true professional... and we understand and respect your decision.  But never forget the millions of hearts you have touched while wearing our shirt.  No matter where you are, we will be there for you.  You'll never walk alone.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #179: Jan 03, 2015 09:05:25 am
      I was lucky enough to have seen the second best player ever to play for Liverpool, Billy Liddell. I was even luckier to see the best, Stevie G.

A modest man, an icon, a leader and a Scouser. Thank you, Steve, for the wonderful moments you have given us all over the years. I can't count the number of times you single handedly got us out of the brown stuff, with one mighty swish of your right leg. Thank you for the best night of my life when in the Attaturk stadium, you dragged the team back from the brink of disaster  to win our Fifth European Cup. You never won a Premiership winners medal (Not yet- the season isn't over yet!- remember AC Milan) but you won something much greater - immortality as the best of the best.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #180: Jan 03, 2015 09:08:16 am
      But the very fact Guardiola wanted Alonso proves your point.
      Can you list the players at the club who are better? Particularly In his position, Just interested to know what you think

Considering the SAS are no longer available there is no need for Stevie in the deep lying role as we know he cant provide the defensive cover that Lucas does better.
      So the only other place for him is further forward as a number 10 and in that position I would rather have Countinho or Raheem.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #181: Jan 03, 2015 09:19:29 am
      I am totally gutted, devastated, I knew this day was coming just didn't want it to,

I'm finding it very difficult to find the words that will do this man justice,
      He has been our best player for arguably the last 15 yrs, what other player have given this club as much dedication and sacrifice than Steven Gerrard ?

Simply put he is the greatest ever to have that Liverbird against his heart, he is undoubtedly the most loyal servant Liverpool FC has ever had,
      There will be no other, ever again ,

Absolute total legend and always will be.

Let's get things straight here,
      Steven Gerrard has made this decision not for FSG, not for Brendan Rodgers, not for his fans, Steven Gerrard has made this decision for Steven Gerrard, and his beloved LFC,

As always he is thinking of what's best for the club , only he knows himself what is left in his tank, and perhaps he feels there is not enough to want to give everything HE can,

the contract offered whatever it was is irrelevant, money is of no interest to him, whatever he does now, wherever he plays and who for is for Steven Gerrard,
      and by Christ does he deserve it,

I think he wants to finish his playing days with a smile on his face, without the burden of captaincy, without the pressure of having to perform at 100% every minute of every game of every season, enjoy playing for the fun of the game itself, to experience other things in other places, and what of his family , his wife his girls, don't you think they deserve something different too,

Steven Gerrard,

Thank you, for all those unforgettable memories, those wonderfully stunning goals, the dedication, commitment & sacrifice , your passion, your loyalty, Thank you ,

A True Legend

You will never walk alone

Steven Gerrard

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #182: Jan 03, 2015 09:28:56 am
      But surely that says more about you and your mindset than it does about others? The very fact that you felt the need 'to be Fed', mock how others feel and proceed to ridicule the man says more about you than anyone else could. Because you find it "weird" doesn't mean it is fella. You can't be that lacking in self awareness.

You are right Fed; no one has died and, yes, he's not the Gerrard of 2005.

Listen; I don't know if you have lost someone you love [a parent perhaps] and watched them die after a long illness - hopefully not. They aren't the person they were 5 or 10 years previous. I would hope that this fact won't stop you mourning and remembering all that they were.

And a word of advice... if or when that time comes; even if you don't care for that person because they aren't the person they were 10 years ago and even if you don't share the emotions that, maybe, your siblings are showing... keep it to yourself: try to understand. When the time comes it'll stop you looking like a ball-bag Fed.

Stevie's leaving is the end of an era; an era which brought way, way, more good and lasting memories than bad. Memories of that whole era are why people are having difficulties in coming to terms with what's unfolding. You might not, [in your own "look at me, I'm Fed, I'm controversial"] have the social skills or intelligence to appreciate that but it doesn't mean it's "weird". Far from it.

Steven Gerrard - A proper legend who's story will be written in large, bold letters every time future generations speak of our illustrious past. Sad to see him go? Of course I f**king am.

Unlike you; I came to praise Caesar not bury him so I'm getting the f**k out of here now.    xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Very very well put across mate, when I first read his bullshit I got angry, had to re-read to believe my eyes, especially the first paragraphs,

I'm glad I read thru the following pages and found your response, had I not I would probably received a ban , so cheers mate,

Can't believe anyone could be so disrespectful,

What a KUNT of a man he must be eh !

YNWA
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #183: Jan 03, 2015 09:29:17 am
      Gutted but Gerrard will be back. Great student of the game, hes gonna be our Guardiola sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply