Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)

Read 12113 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)
      Jan 02, 2015 04:26:50 pm
      Wilfried Bony

Swansea City Chairman Huw Jenkins has hinted that Liverpool target Wilfried Bony could be sold by the club in the January transfer window, insisting that the Welsh outfit will consider offers for the forward.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-chairman-huw-jenkins-4900292

Strong striker; 25 years old.....Scored 9 goals already this season.

Will welcome him.

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Re: Wilfried Bony (Swansea City)
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2015 05:03:01 pm
      He will go to city 100%
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2015 05:20:12 pm
      No thanks
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2015 05:28:35 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2015 06:25:03 pm

For real? Sure he isn't a world class name or anything but he is a proven goal scorer. Nobody got more goals than him in the league in 2014 and this is for a player in a team like Swansea, have him being supplied by Coutinho and playing in the team with Sterling and Sturridge then surely he will only improve?

I will admit, I wasn't keen when he was linked before but I don't think we can be too fussy. He is a fairly similar player to Sturridge but that can only be a good thing and hopefully they would have the same understanding SAS did. Surely he is an improvement on what we have and I doubt we would get a better option than him. He has a great eye for goal and he would be fairly cheap.

Just a shame its a sh*t source reporting it.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2015 06:38:59 pm
      For real? Sure he isn't a world class name or anything but he is a proven goal scorer. Nobody got more goals than him in the league in 2014 and this is for a player in a team like Swansea, have him being supplied by Coutinho and playing in the team with Sterling and Sturridge then surely he will only improve?

I will admit, I wasn't keen when he was linked before but I don't think we can be too fussy. He is a fairly similar player to Sturridge but that can only be a good thing and hopefully they would have the same understanding SAS did. Surely he is an improvement on what we have and I doubt we would get a better option than him. He has a great eye for goal and he would be fairly cheap.

Just a shame its a sh*t source reporting it.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, far from it but from everything I have seen of him he wouldn't suit our style and it would be another square peg in a round hole.

He's more target man in style than a Sturridge to me, I'd rather we go and find someone who suits our style than shoehorn someone who doesn't even if I've never heard of them
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2015 06:42:05 pm
      I'm not saying he is a bad player, far from it but from everything I have seen of him he wouldn't suit our style and it would be another square peg in a round hole.

He's more target man in style than a Sturridge to me, I'd rather we go and find someone who suits our style than shoehorn someone who doesn't even if I've never heard of them

Fair enough mate, but can you suggest anyone who would be the a good fit?

I agree he is more of a target man and I compare him to Sturridge in terms of his movement and ability to create space for himself, maybe more of the target man we should have signed instead of Balotelli. He is also able to play alongside someone or up top by himself.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2015 06:57:47 pm

I agree he is more of a target man and I compare him to Sturridge in terms of his movement and ability to create space for himself, maybe more of the target man we should have signed instead of Balotelli. He is also able to play alongside someone or up top by himself.

For me Higuain, Sanchez ( not going to happen ) or a Carlos Tevez type player would suit our system.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2015 06:59:56 pm

I'm not really one for speculating on potential transfer targets as it's not really something I personally see much point in, the ones I suggest would probably not even get discussed.. I very rarely get involved in the types of thread mate where fans discuss who they would buy or should buy, I have no issue with those who do and enjoy reading it but it's not for me.

Having said that I just think that our scouts/committee should do what they are paid for and go and find players suitable to play the way we do rather than go for what at times recently seems like the obvious and often glaringly wrong choices

Even if Brendan or any manager has no say on the incoming transfers those bringing them in should at least bring in suitable players for the managers style to work with.

For me Bony doesn't suit and therefore should immediately be forgotten.. Find one that does suit, we have seen what happens in very recent times what happens when we sign players who don't suit.. It disrupts and imbalances a whole season

Maybe so if a target man was targeted he would have been a better fit than Balotelli but I just don't get the thought process that you don't bring in players that suit the way you play.

I'd just like us to be creative and sign players who fit rather than trying to make them fit. Players take time to adjust to new clubs at the best of times, to then expect them to change their style or us to change to suit them makes little sense to me
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2015 07:03:50 pm
      I'm not really one for speculating on potential transfer targets as it's not really something I personally see much point in, the ones I suggest would probably not even get discussed.. I very rarely get involved in the types of thread mate where fans discuss who they would buy or should buy, I have no issue with those who do and enjoy reading it but it's not for me.

Having said that I just think that our scouts/committee should do what they are paid for and go and find players suitable to play the way we do rather than go for what at times recently seems like the obvious and often glaringly wrong choices

Even if Brendan or any manager has no say on the incoming transfers those bringing them in should at least bring in suitable players for the managers style to work with.

For me Bony doesn't suit and therefore should immediately be forgotten.. Find one that does suit, we have seen what happens in very recent times what happens when we sign players who don't suit.. It disrupts and imbalances a whole season

Maybe so if a target man was targeted he would have been a better fit than Balotelli but I just don't get the thought process that you don't bring in players that suit the way you play.

I'd just like us to be creative and sign players who fit rather than trying to make them fit. Players take time to adjust to new clubs at the best of times, to then expect them to change their style or us to change to suit them makes little sense to me

Fair enough mate. Unfortunately I think it will be a case of the "committee" not actually knowing who or what type of player we should be after.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2015 07:04:55 pm
      Fair enough mate. Unfortunately I think it will be a case of the "committee" not actually knowing who or what type of player we should be after.

That's pretty damning mate if  true

If they don't then I despair
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 07:15:30 pm by Paisleydalglish »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2015 07:14:08 pm
      Exactly how I feel, Paisleydalglish. I still don't believe we need an out an out goal scorer. I genuinely would take a huge gamble on Sturridge being fit for the remainder of the season, and with Origi incoming, I think he'll surprise a lot of people here when he's played as a #9 rather that stuck out wide.

The type of striker/forward I really think we need is someone who is exceptional in build up play, able to drop deep, comfortable out wide and capable of holding up play. Not asking for a super world class player, but someone who fits our style of play would be perfect. Players like Welbeck & Kane are the ones I watch regularly, they would be great for us. Firmino who plays deeper but can also play up top or inside forward I feel would be amazing and the ideal choice for me.

I don't have a scouting team and nor do I watch enough games, but I'm 99.9% positively sure there are players out there with the attributes that I mentioned.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2015 07:19:18 pm
      Not entirely convinced he's the right player for us to be honest, particularly at £19m or whatever it is.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2015 08:06:27 pm
      Yeah no I would pass on this one.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2015 08:53:49 pm
      I think he's a good player who could make the step up, but on purely selfish reasons I don't want a player who goes to the African nations half way through a season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2015 09:51:15 pm
      When he does eventually go to City, Chelsea, Real Madrid or whoever it is everyone will soon see that he's a top player. We should have signed him in the summer, but the ship has sailed now.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2015 09:59:01 pm
      When he does eventually go to City, Chelsea, Real Madrid or whoever it is everyone will soon see that he's a top player. We should have signed him in the summer, but the ship has sailed now.

They maybe suit him more than we do... I bet he wouldn't go to a Barca as he wouldn't suit their style either

I'm not saying he isn't a good player though Mick.. But maybe I don't rate him quite as high as you do mate
      For me if he went to those sides he wouldn't displace their current starters and would eventually move on again back to his level
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2015 10:54:05 pm
      We had our chance in the summer for £19m and never took it and ended up plumping for Mario Balotelli instead.  :mad:
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2015 11:12:27 pm
      We had our chance in the summer for £19m and never took it and ended up plumping for Mario Balotelli instead.  :mad:

The lad has banged in nine goals already. Compare that to our Nr 54 and it looks grim.

I guess you win some, and you lose some. We just lost one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2015 11:13:41 pm
      They maybe suit him more than we do... I bet he wouldn't go to a Barca as he wouldn't suit their style either

I'm not saying he isn't a good player though Mick.. But maybe I don't rate him quite as high as you do mate
      For me if he went to those sides he wouldn't displace their current starters and would eventually move on again back to his level

I haven't seen enough of Bony or Swansea this season to make proper comment Jon but in what way do you not think he would fit our style as Swansea have traditionally played a brand of football not a million miles away from our own?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2015 11:17:46 pm

You're quite right, he is more a target man and not really in "our style", but I would snap him up of he's available for around 20m. My reasoning is this:

Firstly, last year we were shown up when we came up against teams parking the bus and needed a strong player who could hold the ball up, bring in players and crucially, put the ball in the back of the net. Bony would have been perfect. I'm an ever-optimist and I can see us getting back to something close to our best next season, and I don't want to face the same shortcomings again. Now would be a perfect timing.

Secondly, he's not as alien to our style as Balo. Swansea also play with a bit of fluidity and attacking style. He seems to adopt well. He can hold the ball and has a decent pass, wouldn't rock the boat that much.

Thirdly, I also think Studge will get back to fitness and be that striker who can play in our style. I'd even try Sterling and Studge alongside each other, so I reckon we won't need another pacy striker.

I'd give it until end of season to see how Studge holds up. If he doesn't get fit, then raise the funds to go big in summer, otherwise, if we ended up with Studge, Bony, Sterling and Origi as our main strike force next year, I'd be happy. We could offload Lambert, Balo and Borini at will...either now or then tbh.

Plus, I actually really rate him, the boy knows where the goal is, and has been doing it consistently. Sign of quality.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #21: Jan 02, 2015 11:37:13 pm
      We let Suarez go;

We can't get Aguero;

We won't get Charlie Austin;

Diego Costa isn't so different from other Target men;

If we get Wilfried Bony, it would be a huge Plus! Target man or no target man.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #22: Jan 03, 2015 12:54:47 am
      There'll be too much interest. He'll go wherever pays him the highest wages and that won't be us, will it?

That's the sad reality these days. We can only get the players no one wants.

Quick Reply