Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Pre Match: AFC Wimbledon v Liverpool. Mon 5th Jan 19:55 FA Cup

Read 6359 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Pre Match: AFC Wimbledon v Liverpool. Mon 5th Jan 19:55 FA Cup
      Jan 02, 2015 09:12:32 pm

After the huge announcement from our captain today it's easy to forget we have our fourth match in 11 days. But it is essential for the club and for Gerrard to make sure the headlines are for all the right reasons on Tuesday morning and go out and show the professionalism to get the job done.

On paper AFC Wimbledon should be straight forward to overcome. But as we have found out far too many times in the past (most notably against Wimbledon in the FA Cup!) things don't always work like that. Oldham, Bournemouth and Mansfield in recent times have all come out fighting for there lives and made it very tough for us and you know AFC Wimbledon will be looking to do the same!

In League Two they are 11th coming off an impressive 4-1 win over Exeter. From the bit of research I done, I see AFC Wimbledon line up in a 4-4-2.

That was the starting XI against Exeter but with the infamous Akinfenwa returning from injury in that game as a sub and scoring off the bench I expect to see him introduced. Akinfenwa and Tubbs together have scored 24 goals this season with Azeez contributing another 5 mainly as a sub. They know where the back of the net is, we can't take anything for granted in our current state.

From midfield they don't seem to have as deadly a threat. Francomb and Rigg seem to be the creative and more attacking players from each flank with 11 assists and 7 goals between them. I think Rigg on the left is the more clinical of the two with 5 assists and 5 goals to his name. In the center Bulman appears to be the more defensive of the two and is there to break up play, although his 5 league yellow cards suggest he may know what he's doing there!

At the back is where we can win this. AFC Wimbledon have shipped 33 goals this season. Jake Goodman is relatively new to the starting line up this season with just 5 starts but he seems to have pushed Alan Bennett to the bench. It will be interesting to see wether they will go for Bennetts experience or Goodmans form? And with their keeper James Shea a young 23 years old, you would like to think the chances will be there for us... if we put the right men in to take them.

Which brings me on to us. As I say this will be our fourth game in 11 days so I would imagine a bit of rotation is on the way. Upon saying that it has to be Mignolet in goal. Work hard and get him a clean sheet. I think he has actually improved in recent performances and in the last two games he has been left out to dry by the defence in the goals we have conceded. In defence I would imagine Rodgers will want to keep the same style, philosophy and formation. So I expect 3 at the back and that Lovren will be reintroduced to the side alongside Can and Toure there for experience. The front two of AFC Wimbledon are the biggest threat I can see from them, so we need to cut it out. Akinfenwa will look to get physical, it will be important not to get drawn into a battle with him. If he leave one of our three on their arse Tubbs and himself will punish us for it. Play it smart and make them go deeper and deeper for the ball.

To do that, our midfield will need to keep the ball and put pressure on the opposition when they have it. Another Swansea performance and we're laughing here! With all the media attention now, I would be very surprised if Gerrard doesn't start here. And although I suggested some rotation I would have to put Henderson in there with him. Rest Lucas, but play Henderson centrally, let him do Gerrards leg work and show off his own abilities like he did against Swansea. He can press at such a high rate and as I said above I genuinely think that is where we will win this. But keeping the ball for as long as we can, and getting it back instantly when we lose it.

That leaves space on the right hand side for Manquillo to return. I think the lad has ability but has yet to show it. Give him games, give him confidence and he will return it! On the left for me it is a toss up between Markovic and Ojo? I think the smarter option would be to start Markovic and introduce Ojo if/when we are in a controlling position. Take the pressure off him and let him show what has earned him the call up to the senior squad in recent weeks. Markovic then can do what he has been doing, and impressing at recently. Use that great engine he has, with pace to run at defenders, pressure them and beat them. If he turns up there will be goals for him here.

The front 3 is a different issue. Firstly I think Sterling needs a break. Not so much physically but mentally. He has been getting increasingly frustrated in recent weeks and  he needs a break from being the frontman. If we want we can bring him on as a sub at wing back or in a deeper attacking role. But I personally think he needs a break from it until he finds his best form again.

In saying that the man I would put down the center is the enigma himself; Balotelli. It's simple, you want it, there you go. Just go out and smash these! If you don't, sub him and tell him where the bus stop is! He has the talent and I think with Gerrard, Henderson and Markovic playing he will not be lost for options, if he does his share.

Just behind him I would play Borini and Suso. Coutinho has been one of our best players recently. It might just be worth looking after him and making sure we have him available. A rest will do him no harm. Borini showed the desire and aggression against Arsenal. Unfortunately it didn't quite work. If he can use that determination in the right way he can find his feet again. He can be the engine alongside Balotelli that pulls players with him to create the space for Mario. And he can give that pressing up high that we like (apparently). Suso on the other hand I just feel needs to get himself back on track. It is clear he has potential but he's only played 23 mins this season. Something must be going on? However I think if he is in the right frame of mind then it may be worth letting him play and fight for a spot in this team. He has that trick up his sleeve and the ability to beat a man. Against this defence I would like to try him and see what he can do. He offers something different to Balotelli and Borini and he may have that one turn or flick that gets us in behind the defence.

I understand that with that team the front 3 are a gamble. But if they can do what they were bought to do, what we all know they can do then they will get on the scoresheet here. It's up to them and no one else to get back into this Liverpool team. They have a chance now they need to take it.

Aside from that I think the rest of the team is pretty solid. I think Henderson will be the key in attack and defence. He can create the space for Gerrard to work his passing. The back 3 all know their jobs at this stage. If they can work as a unit and Markovic and Manquillo can support we should snuff out the threat from Tubbs and Akinfenwa as well as Rigg and Francombe from out wide. Push them back when they have the ball and make the move when we have it. Keep it smart and this is there for us.

All going to plan I would like to think we can put these to the sword. But for now, a professional performance and 3-0 is my call. (Markovic, Balotelli, Can)
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Pre Match: AFC Wimbledon v Liverpool. Mon 5th Jan 19:55 FA Cup
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2015 10:48:16 pm
      I've witnessed 6 out of our 7 successes in this competition in my life(so far :)) and although it might have lost it's notoriety these last few years it's still a great Trophy to win..
      It' a competition where form goes out the window and it's whoever turns up on the day and wants it more..

I've got a good feeling about this Trophy this year...( as I do every year ;D)

This, could be the Stevie's swan song moment !!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,300 posts | 4946 
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2015 11:05:13 pm
      19:55 KO?

What the F**k is all that about?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2015 11:22:27 pm
      I'd deffo use this to give some players crucial playing time. Can needs the fitness, Lovren needs his confidence, Markovic needs game time and the Balo/Borini bros need some f***ing practise at scoring. We should still have plenty to beat these guys. Rest Couts/Lallalana/Sterling obviously.

This ain't no "banana skin", this is a formality...get the job done lads.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2015 11:48:55 pm
      Aw just realised i'll be in work til 10, this should be a breeze anyway. Can't stand this team even with the new name.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,466 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2015 10:31:53 am

What the f**k is all that about?

bbc tv, they've got Beasant and Sanchez as guests, tw*ts !
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2015 10:45:47 am
      Fantastic OP.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2015 11:01:29 am
      Ooh Matt Tubbs up front for these. He has had a good lower league career! He was amazing for Crawley a few seasons back.

Hope we smash them!!!!
      SyntaxError
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 03, 2015 11:33:32 am
      Really want Suso in the starting lineup. Thought he was great before the injury.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #9: Jan 03, 2015 01:29:46 pm
      Great OP. Thanks buddy.

Opportunity to rest the likes of Raheem and maybe give the likes of Suso and Ojo a game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Jan 03, 2015 01:32:28 pm
      Sheyi Ojo may get a crack? Any other youngsters?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Jan 03, 2015 01:56:27 pm
      Feel dirty this is on the BBC, robbing pervert protecting bas@~#ds!!
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #12: Jan 03, 2015 02:02:57 pm
                                       Mignolet
                             Can      Skrtel     Lovren
                   Manquillo   Gerrard  Henderson   Markovic
                                 Suso       Sterling
                                       Balotelli

Ward; Toure, Moreno; Lucas, Lallana; Borini, Lambert

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13: Jan 03, 2015 02:44:26 pm

What the f**k is all that about?

One word mate ....

EASTENDERS ....."Yooo Slaaaagg"

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      Reply #14: Jan 03, 2015 03:06:42 pm
      Typical scary FA cup tie against the new 'wombles' but let's face their f***in sh*t, and if we don't get past these then there is something seriously f***in wrong,
      No room for sentiment here my starting X1 would be thus....

Mignolet
           Toure.  Skrtle. Sakho
                      Lucas
               Hendo.     Can
        Markovic. Coutinho  Lallana
                      Sterling

Bench; Ward, Lovren Moreno, Gerrard, Ballotelli, Lambert, Ojo

Get the game won early as possible, then we can rest players such as Sterling, Lallana , Coutinho
      After yesterday's announcement we go into each round like it was the final itself, let's go all out for a final Hurrah for Stevie , F**k what the opposition think or indeed who they are,

Liverpool to tank the wombles,
      1-3 gave them a goal cos Migs is so unreliable

YNWA
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Jan 03, 2015 07:47:11 pm
      Heard Lawrie Sanchez and Ray Houghton interviewed again today. Guys from the Liverpool side of the 1-0 cup final defeat must be sick to death of being dredging up any time Wimbeldon and LFC are mentioned in the same sentence. The culture club and the F***ing crazy gang ... jayzus. Ray was saying if the game was reffed today about 8 guys would've seen red... he didn't tho say they'd mostly be Wimbeldon lads, or that the dirty bas**rds were a scourge on the game ...

Anyway, would like to give em a good F***ing pounding on Mon ... would help ease the slight twinge of pain this fixture brings back ...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,371 posts | 1538 
      Reply #16: Jan 03, 2015 08:54:57 pm
      Just tw*t the bastaaaaarrrrrrrds. 6-0 the red men. Hope the pitch doesn't have an influence.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #17: Jan 03, 2015 08:59:50 pm
      Heard Lawrie Sanchez and Ray Houghton interviewed again today. Guys from the Liverpool side of the 1-0 cup final defeat must be sick to death of being dredging up any time Wimbeldon and LFC are mentioned in the same sentence. The culture club and the f**king crazy gang ... jayzus. Ray was saying if the game was reffed today about 8 guys would've seen red... he didn't tho say they'd mostly be Wimbeldon lads, or that the dirty bas**rds were a scourge on the game ...

Anyway, would like to give em a good f**king pounding on Mon ... would help ease the slight twinge of pain this fixture brings back ...

Slight twinge of pain,Christ ,I was F***ing heartbroken .
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #18: Jan 03, 2015 09:02:26 pm
      Just tw*t the bastaaaaarrrrrrrds. 6-0 the red men. Hope the pitch doesn't have an influence.

Pitch should never have an "influence". We're talking about professional footballers here.

I never want to hear that excuse ever again in my life. Close, hard fought away victory. 1-3 redmen.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      Reply #19: Jan 04, 2015 08:15:57 am
      Heard Lawrie Sanchez and Ray Houghton interviewed again today. Guys from the Liverpool side of the 1-0 cup final defeat must be sick to death of being dredging up any time Wimbeldon and LFC are mentioned in the same sentence. The culture club and the f**king crazy gang ... jayzus. Ray was saying if the game was reffed today about 8 guys would've seen red... he didn't tho say they'd mostly be Wimbeldon lads, or that the dirty bas**rds were a scourge on the game ...

Anyway, would like to give em a good f**king pounding on Mon ... would help ease the slight twinge of pain this fixture brings back ...

f***in haunts me it does , how the F**k that shower of dirty bas**rds won it is beyond me, yeah ok Aldo missed from the spot and Beasant had a good day at the office but still ...and you know who I hate the most  ... Not Vinny, Fash the bash, Lawrie or Harry Bassett, that f***in little cretin Dennis f***in Wise,
      Hate the bloke, if ever I met this kunt I'd just tw*t him , honestly can't stand the arrogant little turd,
      On my ' I hate the most list' this kunt sits next to that bi*ch Thatcher , despise them both .

YNWA

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #20: Jan 04, 2015 08:54:50 am
      Sheyi Ojo may get a crack? Any other youngsters?

I'd guess he must be involved in this at some point, seeing as he was with the squad and named on the bench in the last couple of games, it now makes sense for him to use that and why he was there.

I'd like to see Rossiter and Williams play a part too
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,310 posts | 768 
      Reply #21: Jan 04, 2015 10:05:57 am
      Gone for a 3-2 win for the Reds, need a decent run in all three cup competitions considering our stuttering league form. Brendan must think carefully about his team selection as we do not want any upsets at this stage.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Jan 04, 2015 05:14:54 pm
      F**kin haunts me it does , how the f**k that shower of dirty bas**rds won it is beyond me, yeah ok Aldo missed from the spot and Beasant had a good day at the office but still ...and you know who I hate the most  ... Not Vinny, Fash the bash, Lawrie or Harry Bassett, that f***in little cretin Dennis f***in Wise,

Yea, was gutted at the time, we had enough chances to win it. Ray was saying Terry Phelan had a really good game - he didn't get up and down the line, but Razor couldn't get round him, he was biting in like a pirana. To get bet by such an inferior footballing side, one of our poorer days.
      Lawrie tho brushed off stories like Wimbeldon out psych'ing LFC in the tunnel before the match, that the Reds were intimidated etc. - said it was codswhollop, and some of his old teammates made sh*t up (tho didn't use those words) afterward to embellish things. He was saying that tho not all the Wimbeldon lads got on, and still don't, they fought for each other and winning was, for some, the best day of their careers.

Oh, and couldn't stand Dennis Wise either, little scumbag, baby face, dirty b***ard. Played at Wimbeldon and Chavski, perfect fits really.

Quick Reply