Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

James Milner (Manchester City) - SIGNED by LFC

Read 22164 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Re: James Milner (Man City)
      Reply #207: Jun 02, 2015 11:23:24 am
      If we sign Milner, it will put our other resources into stark focus. A player who previously has been derided on here as a "journeyman" and "average" will look like a young Steven Gerrard in our midfield. I think he'll instantly become one of our best players, and it wouldn't surprise me if we made him captain as well. People doubting this lad are in for a massive shock if we sign him IMHO.

Come off it mate Milner a "young Steven Gerrard in our midfield"?

He will he 30 in January so the accurate statement here is he will be a slightly younger poor mans Steven Gerrard in our midfield.

He's a decent player but calling him a young Stevie G is absurd.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #208: Jun 02, 2015 11:27:04 am
      He doesn't start for city as they have better and he is not good enough to command a place, same for England. He is not better considerably better than hendo Allen or Lucas and can't compare to our flair players, yet people want him?

He started 17 games for City, a team where players like Dzeko, Jovetic, Fernandinho, Nasri and Navas don't start regularly. It's not a hugely detrimental fact. He plays regularly for England as well, soemtimes starting  and other times off the bench, but he's been a feature for a long time now.

He is significantly better than Allen and Lucas, simple as.

I know we're all crying out for the marquee signing, which may or may not come, but at a time when we're seriously lacking experienced winners, Milner will be very welcome imo. He scores, assists, his workrate and enthusiasm will rub off on those around him (we all know how that worked out before) not to mention his professionalism being a good influence on developing youngsters. I for one really hope this goes through.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #209: Jun 02, 2015 11:27:21 am
      If he's seen as one of our best players then I worry for our team next season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,609 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #210: Jun 02, 2015 11:34:32 am
      Milner will walk into our first 11 just now.

Make of that what you will.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #211: Jun 02, 2015 11:47:10 am
      Milner will walk into our first 11 just now.

Make of that what you will.

We are average.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #212: Jun 02, 2015 11:52:26 am
      My take on him (without going into too much detail)...

Is there better out there that we can sign? If so: then that's who we should be signing. If not: go with Milner.

Put another way - if James is our primary target for a midfield role then we better get him because F**k only knows who 2nd (or 3rd) choice will be if we fail.  :-\

On his own, not a bad signing.
      If you could trust FSG/Brendan/Committee/Anyone to get the rest of the signings right.
      Move Can into midfield.
      Sign an RCB.
      SPEND EVERYTHING ON A F***ing STRIKER.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,609 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #213: Jun 02, 2015 12:28:33 pm

And he improves what we have, so not all bad.

But many more top players needed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #214: Jun 02, 2015 01:15:55 pm
      Has anyone watched him play (in games not against us)?

He's a pretty good player. Reminds me a bit of Dirk Kuyt with his workrate and tenacity. He's hard nosed and will do the dirty work that some players shy away from. Plus he's experienced and he's a winner. I honestly have no issue with this signing especially being a free pickup.

Not concerned about the wages really....hell I'd be happy to know that FSG will actually pay high wages to someone. ;D
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #215: Jun 02, 2015 01:41:05 pm
      SPEND EVERYTHING ON A F***ing STRIKER.

Too f***ing right. Too...f***ing....right.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #216: Jun 02, 2015 01:44:27 pm
      He's a pretty good player. Reminds me a bit of Dirk Kuyt with his workrate and tenacity. He's hard nosed and will do the dirty work that some players shy away from. Plus he's experienced and he's a winner. I honestly have no issue with this signing especially being a free pickup.

He is quite similar Dirk in his workrate and attitude actually. I don't remember a single game after which Dirk wasn't drenched in sweat, I miss the old buck toothed warrior. Milner is similar, except he can play wide as well and has a very good cross on him.

If we signed Milner, moved Can to DM, got a reliable CB to partner Skrtl and bought a f***ing good striker, I would be happy. Though I like Ings, he's not that "f***ing good striker" I expect. Even Sterling can FO then tbh
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #217: Jun 02, 2015 02:40:09 pm
      It's very much debatable whether or not we can sign a CM better than Milner. But one thing that caught my eye the past few pages has been the number of posts saying Milner is "better than Allen and Lucas."

Am I the only one who thinks Milner is better than Henderson too? (As of right now, anyway.)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #218: Jun 02, 2015 02:55:44 pm
      Come off it mate Milner a "young Steven Gerrard in our midfield"?

He will he 30 in January so the accurate statement here is he will be a slightly younger poor mans Steven Gerrard in our midfield.

He's a decent player but calling him a young Stevie G is absurd.

I had to pop out for a bit and while I was away I thought about my "Gerrard" comment and realised it would stir a few up. Just to clarify, I'm not saying for a moment that Milner is anywhere near a young Steven Gerrard. What I AM saying is, stick him in alongside Allen and Henderson and he will look like one! IMHO he is absolutely different class to both, and Henderson in particular gets massively overrated by our own fans. Milner does everything Henderson does plus quite a lot more on top, and my point was that this "journeyman" footballer will show some of our players up for what they are.

Fortunately in the case of Henderson, he seems to be able to find extra in his game when it's demanded, so hopefully having Milner there will do it for him. I think the Man City man is a fine player though like I said, I think many won't believe how good he actually is if he does sign. 
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #219: Jun 02, 2015 04:21:06 pm
      It's very much debatable whether or not we can sign a CM better than Milner. But one thing that caught my eye the past few pages has been the number of posts saying Milner is "better than Allen and Lucas."

Am I the only one who thinks Milner is better than Henderson too? (As of right now, anyway.)

No. Henderson's work off the ball is great. I have said this time and time before but I think his runs and positioning are top tier. Not to mention some of the passes I have seen him hit this season, have been Gerrard-esque. I know this season he did not light the world on fire, but then again nobody really did that on LFC.

I think Hendo will be the engine behind us in future seasons. He has shown it before and I think he will start doing it on a more consistent basis.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #220: Jun 02, 2015 04:40:09 pm
      No. Henderson's work off the ball is great. I have said this time and time before but I think his runs and positioning are top tier. Not to mention some of the passes I have seen him hit this season, have been Gerrard-esque. I know this season he did not light the world on fire, but then again nobody really did that on LFC.

I think Hendo will be the engine behind us in future seasons. He has shown it before and I think he will start doing it on a more consistent basis.

When we're not in possession his off the ball work is piss poor. He just walks round in circles.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #221: Jun 02, 2015 04:44:39 pm
      Can

Hendo Milner

Coutinho
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #222: Jun 02, 2015 04:51:13 pm

I'd like that. Milner can operate more defensively as well which would leave room for Can to be more box-to-box, a role he seems able to play.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #223: Jun 02, 2015 04:56:26 pm
      CARRA: MILNER GOOD FOR LIVERPOOL

James Milner would be an excellent signing for Liverpool, says Jamie Carragher.

The midfielder - whose contract is due to expire with Manchester City - has been strongly linked with a move to Anfield, and Sky Sports' football expert Carragher says he's the kind of character Liverpool want.

He posted on Kicca: "I think it's a very good signing a free transfer who can play in a few positions & got great experience.

"A good character which you can see from the fact he's left Man City in the Champions League for Liverpool shows that regular starts mean more to him at this time than being a squad player with more chance of picking up trophies at City."

omfg carra u hav n0 ambition
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #224: Jun 02, 2015 05:01:43 pm
      I'd like that. Milner can operate more defensively as well which would leave room for Can to be more box-to-box, a role he seems able to play.

Has a real solid look about it.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,732 posts | 3946 
      Reply #225: Jun 02, 2015 05:08:17 pm

No pace there though
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #226: Jun 02, 2015 05:11:36 pm
      Jamie Carragher: James Milner a potential Liverpool captain
      Jamie Carragher says James Milner will compete for the Liverpool captaincy if he completes a free transfer from Manchester City.

The England midfielder is out of contract this summer and former Liverpool defender Carragher is hoping he will finalise a move to Anfield in the next fortnight.

And the Sky Sports pundit says Milner could now rival Jordan Henderson both for his position in Brendan Rodgers’ midfield and also as a potential successor to Steven Gerrard as club captain.

“Brendan Rodgers will have spoken to him about where he sees him fitting in but he's very similar to Jordan Henderson,” Carragher wrote on Kicca.

“I have no doubt one reason he's joining is to play in a more central role rather than out wide. Could Milner play a holding role? Maybe, but I don't think that's what suits him.

“His main strength is his engine which could suit him and Jordan to both play alongside a holding midfielder (Emre Can?) but his best position is tucked in from the right in a central role which is also Jordan Henderson's so it'll be interesting how those two fit into next year’s midfield set up.

“The fact that Brendan Rodgers wouldn't confirm Jordan Henderson as this season’s captain even though he was captain in Gerrard's absence last season makes me think him and Milner could be competing for the armband.

“Was that another thing that enticed Milner to join?”

Milner has won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the League Cup since joining Manchester City from Aston Villa in 2010.

But after he started just 18 Premier League matches last season, Carragher applauded the 29-year-old for his willingness to move to a team that isn’t playing in the Champions League.

He added: “I think it's a very good signing - a free transfer who can play in a few positions and got great experience.

“A good character which you can see from the fact he's left Man City in the Champions League for Liverpool.

“That shows regular starts mean more to him at this time than being a squad player with more chance of picking up trophies at City.”

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9873234/jamie-carragher-james-milner-a-potential-liverpool-captain
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #227: Jun 02, 2015 05:17:38 pm
      Jamie Carragher: James Milner a potential Liverpool captain
      Jamie Carragher says James Milner will compete for the Liverpool captaincy if he completes a free transfer from Manchester City.

The England midfielder is out of contract this summer and former Liverpool defender Carragher is hoping he will finalise a move to Anfield in the next fortnight.

And the Sky Sports pundit says Milner could now rival Jordan Henderson both for his position in Brendan Rodgers’ midfield and also as a potential successor to Steven Gerrard as club captain.

“Brendan Rodgers will have spoken to him about where he sees him fitting in but he's very similar to Jordan Henderson,” Carragher wrote on Kicca.

“I have no doubt one reason he's joining is to play in a more central role rather than out wide. Could Milner play a holding role? Maybe, but I don't think that's what suits him.

“His main strength is his engine which could suit him and Jordan to both play alongside a holding midfielder (Emre Can?) but his best position is tucked in from the right in a central role which is also Jordan Henderson's so it'll be interesting how those two fit into next year’s midfield set up.

“The fact that Brendan Rodgers wouldn't confirm Jordan Henderson as this season’s captain even though he was captain in Gerrard's absence last season makes me think him and Milner could be competing for the armband.

“Was that another thing that enticed Milner to join?”

Milner has won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the League Cup since joining Manchester City from Aston Villa in 2010.

But after he started just 18 Premier League matches last season, Carragher applauded the 29-year-old for his willingness to move to a team that isn’t playing in the Champions League.

He added: “I think it's a very good signing - a free transfer who can play in a few positions and got great experience.

“A good character which you can see from the fact he's left Man City in the Champions League for Liverpool.

“That shows regular starts mean more to him at this time than being a squad player with more chance of picking up trophies at City.”

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9873234/jamie-carragher-james-milner-a-potential-liverpool-captain

Captain? He's like the quietest person ever. Surely we need a captain that actually talks?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #228: Jun 02, 2015 05:30:14 pm
      Captain? He's like the quietest person ever. Surely we need a captain that actually talks?

The captain who has just left wasn't exactly a talker.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #229: Jun 02, 2015 05:32:31 pm
      And he improves what we have, so not all bad.

But many more top players needed.

He won't, he isn't any better than what we have, certainly not better than Henderson or Lallana. We need players who top quality that will instantly improve our starting 11

Milner is not the ANSWER

Quick Reply