Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

James Milner (Manchester City) - SIGNED by LFC

Read 21881 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: James Milner (Man City)
      Reply #230: Jun 02, 2015 05:40:07 pm
      Captain? He's like the quietest person ever. Surely we need a captain that actually talks?

Think you'll find with his experience and age he'll naturally fall into a leadership role whether he wants it or not. Being on £150k also demands something extra from you so captain wouldn't surprise me at all to be honest.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #231: Jun 02, 2015 05:46:08 pm
      He won't, he isn't any better than what we have, certainly not better than Henderson or Lallana. We need players who top quality that will instantly improve our starting 11

Milner is not the ANSWER

No single player is the ANSWER (especially in capital letters :P).

I'll have to disagree that he won't improve us though - for me it is quite obvious that he will. He may not be a flashy player who does an incredible flick or anything but he's efficient, works really hard and can play multiple positions. A real asset to the squad.

By the way, both Coutinho and Lallana scored 5 goals in the league. Milner scored 5 as well.
      Coutinho, our player of the year and supposedly the guy most of us want to see a team built around, made 5 assists in 2792 minutes. Milner had 7 in 1758.

Henderson tops his productivity (6 goals and 9 assists), but he played nearly double the amount of minutes. Milner still have better numbers per 90 minutes.

Assists don't tell the whole story, so let's try to get a bit closer: Milner made 2.30 key passes per 90 minutes; Coutinho had 1.71, Lallana 1.47 and Henderson 1.58. Similarly, Milner also had a far better number of chances created per game (2.66) than any of the other players in that comparison (second best Coutinho managed 1.87 chances/game)

Now onto his defensive attributes as well: Milner had more successful tackles per 90 minutes than all of Coutinho, Lallana and Henderson as well.

Those are very crude numbers and several caveats apply - I'm not saying they're in any way a definitive way of saying Milner is better than all those players.

I am just exposing some evidence that maybe, just maybe, Milner is a much better player than he's given credit for. It is easy to dismiss a player as rubbish when all you have are prejudices and perceptions taken from a small sample of games you've actually seen the guy perform; it is harder when you see that this so called "average" player hasn't done too badly even in comparison to some of our most prized assets.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #232: Jun 02, 2015 05:47:02 pm
      He won't, he isn't any better than what we have, certainly not better than Henderson or Lallana. We need players who top quality that will instantly improve our starting 11

Milner is not the ANSWER

Got to disagree here. Certainly may not have the technical ability of Lallana, but then he won't be as lightweight. As for Henderson, well I think Milner would be better in just about every department there and certainly a better dead-ball delivery of which I think Henderson is extremely poor.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #233: Jun 02, 2015 05:55:42 pm
      No single player is the ANSWER (especially in capital letters :P).

I'll have to disagree that he won't improve us though - for me it is quite obvious that he will. He may not be a flashy player who does an incredible flick or anything but he's efficient, works really hard and can play multiple positions. A real asset to the squad.

By the way, both Coutinho and Lallana scored 5 goals in the league. Milner scored 5 as well.
      Coutinho, our player of the year and supposedly the guy most of us want to see a team built around, made 5 assists in 2792 minutes. Milner had 7 in 1758.

Henderson tops his productivity (6 goals and 9 assists), but he played nearly double the amount of minutes. Milner still have better numbers per 90 minutes.

Assists don't tell the whole story, so let's try to get a bit closer: Milner made 2.30 key passes per 90 minutes; Coutinho had 1.71, Lallana 1.47 and Henderson 1.58. Similarly, Milner also had a far better number of chances created per game (2.66) than any of the other players in that comparison (second best Coutinho managed 1.87 chances/game)

Now onto his defensive attributes as well: Milner had more successful tackles per 90 minutes than all of Coutinho, Lallana and Henderson as well.

Those are very crude numbers and several caveats apply - I'm not saying they're in any way a definitive way of saying Milner is better than all those players.

I am just exposing some evidence that maybe, just maybe, Milner is a much better player than he's given credit for. It is easy to dismiss a player as rubbish when all you have are prejudices and perceptions taken from a small sample of games you've actually seen the guy perform; it is harder when you see that this so called "average" player hasn't done too badly even in comparison to some of our most prized assets.

Diego, Coutinho is a quality player in the end, you can see it from his vision, his passing and direct running that causes problems from opposition players. You can't compare statistically because Coutinho is still at the age of 22 who hasn't even matured yet, unlike Milner who is 29 and for a 29 year old 5 goals is a poor return for a midfielder. Plus statistics tells 30% of the story, 70% is down to player abilities. Milner isn't a game changer, Coutinho is.

Milner to me is a decent player who would be a good squad player for a team that challenges for the top 4 or title, hence why at Man City he was perceived this way and not a key player at all. He is a hard worker with energy and stamina and tidy in possession. I don't see him walking into first team 11 for any top side in the country, but because our aspiration is 6th or 7th every season then he would be a good player for us.

I don't think his rubbish at all, but he isn't any better than what we have got. He isn't better than Henderson, nor Lallana and for 150k a week that's simply ridiculous. We need better players than Henderson and Lallana to be able to compete and there are better players out there that could make us compete.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #234: Jun 02, 2015 06:27:14 pm
      No. Henderson's work off the ball is great. I have said this time and time before but I think his runs and positioning are top tier. Not to mention some of the passes I have seen him hit this season, have been Gerrard-esque. I know this season he did not light the world on fire, but then again nobody really did that on LFC.

I think Hendo will be the engine behind us in future seasons. He has shown it before and I think he will start doing it on a more consistent basis.

I'm a big fan of Henderson, but I think Milner produces more than Hendo does at the moment. Besides general chance creation and key passes, Milner's tackles and interceptions per 90 are better than Jordan's too. Not big on using stats to assess a player, but it does show that Milner works hard both on and off the ball. I really think this will be a very good addition to the team.

Clyne (if we sign him) and Moreno will provide the width and pace.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #235: Jun 02, 2015 06:43:39 pm
      Lets not kid ourselves, Milner has been bought in as a wing back.

Milner  Hendo Allen Moreno
               Lallana  Coutinho
                      Ings

:( :(
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #236: Jun 02, 2015 06:55:24 pm
      Lets not kid ourselves, Milner has been bought in as a wing back.

Milner  Hendo Allen Moreno
               Lallana  Coutinho
                      Ings

:( :(

5 years ago he might have been a wing back, but CM is his best position now.

Personally I think he might be played as a DM with Hendo and Can either side. Be a decent, physically strong midfield 3 that.
      But Milner is versatile and can play anywhere in midfield.

I think he is better than any of our current midfielders. Hendo and him are quite similar actually - if Hendo keeps improving then he could be as good as Milner in a couple of years, but he isnt yet.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #237: Jun 02, 2015 07:22:09 pm
      On a free it's a great signing. Not only is he an experienced player but he's versatile and still has a few years left in him. Underrated too.

Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #238: Jun 02, 2015 07:54:16 pm
      150k a week  :lmao:

F***ing only liverpool
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #239: Jun 02, 2015 08:06:21 pm
      5 years ago he might have been a wing back, but CM is his best position now.

Personally I think he might be played as a DM with Hendo and Can either side. Be a decent, physically strong midfield 3 that.
      But Milner is versatile and can play anywhere in midfield.

I think he is better than any of our current midfielders. Hendo and him are quite similar actually - if Hendo keeps improving then he could be as good as Milner in a couple of years, but he isnt yet.

How could you possibly know that CM is his best position now when he hasn't played there regularly for about 5 years?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #240: Jun 02, 2015 08:48:33 pm

f**king only liverpool

True. City offered 170k
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #241: Jun 02, 2015 08:59:28 pm
      dont jump me but i think milner will be a good signing. wont go into his stats because i dont know them but milner always has looked like a solid english player and its a free signing.

really hope that we add more quality then ings and milner. i dont rate benteke so fingers crossed for a striker that can play with the ball on his feet and a genuine stevie replacement. like pjanic or another great player not a talent but a player in his prime regardless of the cost.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #242: Jun 02, 2015 09:07:48 pm
      dont jump me but i think milner will be a good signing. wont go into his stats because i dont know them but milner always has looked like a solid english player and its a free signing.

really hope that we add more quality then ings and milner. i dont rate benteke so fingers crossed for a striker that can play with the ball on his feet and a genuine stevie replacement. like pjanic or another great player not a talent but a player in his prime regardless of the cost.

So whos position does he take?

whens the last time he played 30 prem games in a season?

his form is patchy to say the least

if this guy was not free (well i say free, but his signing on fee will be millions) would we be looking at him?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #243: Jun 02, 2015 09:17:54 pm
      So whos position does he take?

whens the last time he played 30 prem games in a season?

his form is patchy to say the least

if this guy was not free (well i say free, but his signing on fee will be millions) would we be looking at him?

Sure we would, it's easier on our scouts if they don't have to leave England.  :f_tongueincheek:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #244: Jun 02, 2015 09:26:26 pm

F***ing only liverpool

Not really. By all accounts he was offered more at City.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #245: Jun 02, 2015 09:35:04 pm
      Not really. By all accounts he was offered more at City.

Shhhh....don't let facts get in the way ;D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #246: Jun 02, 2015 09:50:56 pm
      Sure we would, it's easier on our scouts if they don't have to leave England.  :f_tongueincheek:

Saves on airfare, lodging, rental cars and food also FL.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #247: Jun 02, 2015 09:51:47 pm
      Good player, will improve us and I would be very happy to see him come.

Just a thought on the wages though. Posters were literally soiling themselves in anger at the thought of Raheem demanding or being paid anything close to the 150k reported for Milner and yet it seems to be an acceptable wage for Milner? Just seems a bit strange to me. And before anyone says Milner is a free transfer, the same technically applies/applied to Sterling.

it's bizarre to me because if you asked me would we get more out of Milner over the next four years compared to Raheem (if he stayed) I would vote overwhelmingly in Sterling's favour and yet Milner is seemingly ok for the wages and Sterling is a cheeky little fecker for suggesting it.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #248: Jun 02, 2015 09:56:00 pm

Just a thought on the wages though. Posters were literally soiling themselves in anger at the thought of Raheem demanding or being paid anything close to the 150k reported for Milner and yet it seems to be an acceptable wage for Milner? Just seems a bit strange to me. And before anyone says Milner is a free transfer, the same technically applies/applied to Sterling.

it's bizarre to me because if you asked me would we get more out of Milner over the next four years compared to Raheem (if he stayed) I would vote overwhelmingly in Sterling's favour.

I think the difference is that if we paid Sterling 150k a week now, in two years time what will he be after in a couple of years when he's 22? 200-250k? He'll end up on astronomical wages by the time he's 25. Milner won't be after a pay rise anytime soon.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #249: Jun 02, 2015 10:01:06 pm
      I think the difference is that if we paid Sterling 150k a week now, in two years time what will he be after in a couple of years when he's 22? 200-250k? He'll end up on astronomical wages by the time he's 25. Milner won't be after a pay rise anytime soon.

He'll probably be getting it somewhere else I daresay. I don't think that was the argument being put forward by most, it was generally a cas eof 'he's a greedy little toe rag, he doesn't deserve it, he isn't good enough'. It is a mott point by the looks of it now anyway but I would have much preferred to see the 150k a week spent on a happy Sterling than Milner. The club would have got more for their money. Aynways this probably isn't the thread for it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #250: Jun 02, 2015 10:04:45 pm

it's bizarre to me because if you asked me would we get more out of Milner over the next four years compared to Raheem (if he stayed) I would vote overwhelmingly in Sterling's favour and yet Milner is seemingly ok for the wages and Sterling is a cheeky little fecker for suggesting it.

It's funny Scott, I was actually thinking the opposite. People are wetting their pants that we want give Milner 150k but awhile back they were willing to give Sterling whatever he wanted ;D

All perspective I suppose. Not my money, just buy/pay the right players is all I ask.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #251: Jun 02, 2015 10:11:31 pm
      Saves on airfare, lodging, rental cars and food also FL.

What about the house we seem to have bought our chief scout down in Southampton? That scout who is on a one man mission to sign absolutely everybody at Southampton besides Schneiderlin.

If we get Ings and Milner on a free and then get Alves, Konoplyanka and Nigel De Jong on Bosmans before spunking a load or all of our kitty on a couple of strikers that doesn't include any of this Prem proven bollocks then I'll look at it as good business.

Our scouting probably won't get out of the country though.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #252: Jun 02, 2015 10:31:27 pm
      What about the house we seem to have bought our chief scout down in Southampton? That scout who is on a one man mission to sign absolutely everybody at Southampton besides Schneiderlin.

I hear it is on the move WAHS...FSG wanted mobility so he could scurry over to Newcaslte or up to Wales at a moments notice.

They purchased the deluxe model

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2015 06:42:10 pm by AZPatriot »

Quick Reply