Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

And here's the News....

Read 8108 times
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Jun 06, 2007 09:01:55 pm
      After the "lucky" escape of a crane driver and 3 colleagues at the weekend in Croydon I felt it I should start a new topic based on subjects / news stories that don't get much national news coverage.
      Wether it be good or bad news (some say no news is good news!) this is a place to bring your local / regional news stories to much wider attention.

****************************************************************************

A man was seriously injured and three others trapped 45 metres in the air for seven hours when a crane collapsed on top of a hotel in Croydon yesterday. (Saturday 2nd June).

Men working on the crane were heard screaming as the jib of the contraption crashed on to the roof of the Croydon Park Hotel on Altyre Road just after 2pm.

The crane operator - trapped in the cab hanging from the side of the building - was soon winched to safety by a rescuer suspended by cables from a second crane.

But three others were stuck in the tower of the crane until about 9.20pm when they were rescued by fire crews.

The seriously injured man is in a stable condition in St George's Hospital, Tooting, and the other men were uninjured.

Following the accident, 140 people were evacuated from the hotel and surrounding buildings while more than 50 fire fighters, six fire engines and four fire rescue units attended the scene.

Residents in the area reported hearing a crash "as loud as a bomb" and saw a cloud of dust and debris cover the surrounding streets.

Angela Ferrara, who lives opposite the scene, said: "I was doing some work when I heard this huge crash. The arm of the crane has completely come off and there's metal and debris everywhere.

"I can see that there are three people on top of the crane who cannot get down. There could also be a fourth person in the cab.

"One side of the hotel has been smashed in. I'm not sure about the guests - I've just spoken to an American man who checked into the room below just moments before it happened and he is ok."

No one at the hotel is thought to have been injured and guests have since been allowed back to collect their luggage although the hotel remains closed.

It is thought guests have been transferred to the nearby Fairfield Hotel.

The crane is being used for the Altitude25 housing development, being built next to the hotel.

Barclay and Fairfield Roads were closed off and while traffic was redirected around the incident via Park Hill Road.

*******************************************************************************

Today (Wed, 6th June) I walked past the site to view one of the biggest mobile cranes I've ever seen in action. There were 2 men of great importance relating to the project talking on the roadside near where I was taking a picture.

I heard the conversation consisting of such matters regarding the closure of the hotel, cancellations of formal meetings, wedding receptions etc and the inevitable costs of such matters. Also the crane remaining in place for the HSE to establish further details and procedures relating to it's deconstruction and removal from the site. One guy who was giving most of the details to another mentioned the crane was in the process of being elevated whilst other press reports suggest a girder was being moved.

Fortunately there where no fatalities. A guy falling 100ft in an enclosed cab onto the roof of a hotel was considered "lucky" in as much as there was something there to prevent him falling another 70ft to the ground. I was able to ask about the crane drivers' condition, that was the only thing that I or anyone else would rightly be concerned about. The main guy said he had a broken collar bone and 3 broken ribs plus other 'minor' injuries... "The other 3 workers trapped sustained no major injuries" he added.
      It was mentioned that the accident could have been much, much worse. The main guy said there is a big power plant on the roof... "Which could have caused an explosion had the crane jib landed on it" I added. "Exactly", he said.
      The crane when rebuilt will rise to the height of the mobile crane in the final picture, some 230ft!
      Somebody was looking out for the crane driver, it wasn't his time to go despite staring death right in the face...
      « Last Edit: Jun 08, 2007 01:27:56 am by JD, Reason: Title Changed »
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      And here's the News....
      Reply #1: Jun 06, 2007 09:11:38 pm
      Whaaaat ?????
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #2: Jun 07, 2007 12:18:45 am
      I nearly followed through the other day farting.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #3: Jun 07, 2007 12:22:55 am
      I nearly followed through the other day farting.

Haha Tommo, what's the relevance in that?? :D
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #4: Jun 07, 2007 12:33:54 am

local news round my area !!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #5: Jun 07, 2007 12:42:47 am
      Hmmm I get this thread.  Like post really crap news from the square mile or so in which you live.

I live in Prescot (ahem) but apparently they are planning on building some kind of fancy theatre up here based on the original indoor Elizabethan theatre.

History types reckon that a couple of William Shakespeares very own plays (such as Richard III) were put on in Prescot BEFORE they made it to The Globe down in Stratford.

Fascinating stuff.

Oh yeah, and they're going to put blue lines on the side of my road and give us all parking permits.

More news, when it happens.... ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #6: Jun 07, 2007 12:57:00 am

Too funny!!!!! :D

Erm, the police helecopter was about today? Not much else going on really....
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #7: Jun 07, 2007 01:05:32 am
      Too funny!!!!! :D

Erm, the police helecopter was about today? Not much else going on really....

Actually, this could turn out to be one seriously funny thread.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #8: Jun 07, 2007 01:10:10 am
      Hmmm I get this thread.  Like post really crap news from the square mile or so in which you live.
      More news, when it happens.... ;)

I can see this getting unruly and guess not too many people think that a guy falling 100ft from a crane and 3 other workers being stranded for 7 hours is really news.
      But mrtommo nearly following through the other day farting probably is...
      I guess the crane driver might have something to say about that, I bet he sh*t himself for sure!     :o :o :o
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #9: Jun 07, 2007 01:13:11 am
      I can see this getting unruly and guess not too many people think that a guy falling 100ft from a crane and 3 other workers being stranded for 7 hours is really news.
      But mrtommo nearly following through the other day farting probably is...
      I guess the crane driver might have something to say about that, I bet he sh*t himself for sure!     :o :o :o

RED, I am well in to this thread. Serious.  That is definitely news.  This could be a great thread and you're name will be lit up as the topic started for centuries to come.

A brand new hospital is being built by me and there are about 7 massive cranes in the skyline.  I might try and get a webcam set up so that if anything good serious happens I can post it on here.  I'm going to be checking in on this thread with my local news a lot.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #10: Jun 07, 2007 01:52:58 am
      Although I live in Croydon I am pleased to call Liverpool my Home, home is where the heart is. My Dad lives in Edge Hill less than 2 miles from town and I visit frequently. Whilst on the subject of cranes Liverpool City Centre has it's fair share at the moment, not news perhaps for the locals but:

Grosvenor's plans for a £750m Paradise Street development

THESE pictures show for the first time how Liverpool is changing like never before.

Each picture tells the story of ongoing development on a scale unimaginable only a decade ago.

At the heart of this urban renaissance is Grosvenor's sprawling Liverpool One site.

A cog on which Liverpool's retail sector will soon turn, Liverpool One may currently be little more than a 42-acre building site but by 2008 it will be one of the biggest retail developments in Europe.

Seen from the sky, the scale of Liverpool One is breathtaking. Eleven mammoth cranes are towering over hundreds of construction workers. (I counted 17 on May 24th 2007).

Roadworks and traffic jams in the Big Dig may be a bitter medicine to swallow now.

But in the long-term the dream is that Liverpool is doing the kind of work which will close the door on decades of decline and open up a new vista to prosperity.

Liverpool has, of course, enjoyed eras of growth and prosperity before - but never on this scale.

Liverpool council historian Steve Binns believes the Big Dig represents the most intense and significant period of development in the city's history.

He says: "Even if we look back to Liverpool's golden era in the 19th century, there has never been such a concentration of investment and development. We really are witnessing history in the making."

Not everyone is convinced, of course.

Critics have continually questioned all aspects of the Big Dig and will, justifiably, continue to do so.

Doubts have been expressed and fingers pointed at Liverpool's recent inability to shift major projects from the drawing board to the ground.

But the Big Dig is one major project which is undoubtedly happening.

Liverpool One is just one element of an enormous £3bn programme to transport the city centre from here to modernity.

The long-awaited Kings Dock Arena provides the most telling evidence of the progress that has already been made.

From 500ft in the air it is already an impressive sight, even though it remains 15 months away from completion. (A trip up to the roof of the Anglican Cathederal might be worth a look for some ariel views!)

Liverpool is changing like never before. Of that there can be no doubt.

Paradise Project, Completion date: Summer 2008, but earlier for certain parts of project, Cost: £900m

The scale of Grosvenor's Liverpool One development is enormous - 42 acres, six districts, more than 1.6m sq ft of shopping space, gardens and parks, public spaces, hotels and 600 apartments.

Below is a link to the Masterplan page which details the project:

THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      And here's the News....
      Reply #11: Jun 07, 2007 11:38:09 pm
      When I was having a cup of tea in the garden this afternnon, a Crane flew down and pinched two of me Goldfish.....b***ard.
      Hold the front page !!!!!!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #12: Jun 08, 2007 12:00:09 am
      When I was having a cup of tea in the garden this afternnon, a Crane flew down and pinched two of me Goldfish.....b***ard.
      I can see you are obviously very bored and have nothing better to do... or say! ;)

Have you seen the price of bread lately? Shocking isn't it?!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #13: Jun 08, 2007 02:02:01 am

You know what mate, a f**kin heron pinched two of ours the other week! And we've got one of those plastic herons to warn them off as well!! I'm gonna write into the Echo!!
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #14: Jun 08, 2007 02:49:52 am
      All clear bottom burp at my end now.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #15: Jun 08, 2007 12:02:42 pm
      I can see you are obviously very bored and have nothing better to do... or say! ;)

Have you seen the price of bread lately? Shocking isn't it?!

I actually was quite shocked at the price of bread the other day.

It has been many years since I had to buy Tesco value bread, however the other day the missus wanted to feed the ducks, so I bought some, thinking it would be the 17p or thereabouts that I used to pay some years ago. Well, you can imagine my shock when I realised said bread was now 28p! I tell you, I don't know what the world's coming to :D :D :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #16: Jun 08, 2007 02:58:42 pm
      Totally agree Eddie!!! Don't even get started on milk!...

Some breaking news just coming in now. There's a report that Townsend Avenue is closed off from the junction of Broadway up to the East Lancs Road causing an influx of traffic along my road. Unkown whether it is road works as yet. I'll keep you posted. Apparently it's taken some pedestrains more than a minute to cross the road!!!
      Nothing else to report for now...

I like this thread!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #17: Jun 08, 2007 08:03:23 pm
      The trams in Croydon were not working to their full capacity tonight (there are 22 on the network) because of congestion on the roads!

No crane stories to report today. Hang on!. There's a ... wait a minute, no! False alarm!  :D :D

And I'm sorry to bring this to your attention everyone but...

Feeding ducks bread...THEIR HEALTH

Things not to feed your ducks, bread, yes its true, because it is made from yeast and yeast is a type of fungi and fungi is a mould. Ducks are very weak against moulds which is a huge killer in ducks. A little bit now and then is fine, but bread alone or included as a main part in a meal isn't a good idea at all.

When wild ducks are fed human food such as bread their organs become engorged and fatty, which can cause them to suffer from heart disease, liver problems and other health complications.

Waterfowl at artificial feeding sites are often found to suffer from poor nutrition.  In a natural setting they will seek out a variety of nutritious foods such as aquatic plants, natural grains, and invertebrates.  Bread is very low in protein, contains additives that wildfowl aren't built to cope with, and it's a very poor substitute for natural foods.

Natural food is usually available over a wide area.  At some artificial feeding sites, competition for each crust is high.  Some ducks and geese (usually the youngest) are unable to compete for handouts.  Ducks become unnaturally aggressive towards each other and a nuisance to humans.

Feeding will also create unnaturally high populations of waterfowl at a pond, and diseases generally not transmissible in the wild will flourish in overcrowded and unsanitary conditions.

Visible symptoms of poor nutrition and advanced stages of starvation are often seen at artificial feeding sites; ducks may have drooping wings or may lose their ability to fly; they become sluggish and can't escape from predators such as foxes.

And finally...

It may rain tomorrow, especially if it's wet enough. :D
      « Last Edit: Jun 09, 2007 05:19:46 am by RED1028 »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #18: Jun 09, 2007 07:38:50 pm
      Front page of my local rag this week...

Some woman who's mail is being left on her doorstep :D
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #19: Jun 09, 2007 07:45:39 pm
      Front page of my local rag this week...

Some woman who's mail is being left on her doorstep :D

Should that read male? Still trying to get in the house after going on a sesh last weekend!   :ernaehrung004: :food-smiley-005: :lmao:
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      And here's the News....
      Reply #20: Jun 09, 2007 08:22:34 pm

Feeding ducks bread...THEIR HEALTH

Things not to feed your ducks, bread, yes its true, because it is made from yeast and yeast is a type of fungi and fungi is a mould. Ducks are very weak against moulds which is a huge killer in ducks. A little bit now and then is fine, but bread alone or included as a main part in a meal isn't a good idea at all.

That'll explain the dead duck in my garden...... & i thought it was the cats!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #21: Jun 17, 2007 07:46:17 pm
      Major news in my area this week, chap's been murdered & it's three of the regulars from my local involved.

Murder police name two suspects 

Two men are being sought by detectives in connection with the murder of a 44-year-old in Hertfordshire.
      Police have appealed for help in trying to trace Kevin Spires, 36, of Clarendon Road, Harpenden, and Bobby McQueen, 37, of Aragan Close, Hemel Hempstead.

Mr McQueen and Mr Spires should not be approached, say police

The victim, who has not been formally identified, walked into hospital in Hemel Hempstead with stab wounds, but died later.

A man from the town was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of murder.

Det Ch Insp Mark Ross who is leading the murder investigation said members of the public were advised not to approach the men but to contact police.

Hertfordshire Police believe the two may be in the Clacton area of Essex.

LINK
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #22: Jun 17, 2007 08:53:49 pm
      Major news in my area this week, chap's been murdered & it's three of the regulars from my local involved.

Time to start paying more visits to the Off Licence mate..

Quick Reply