Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

And here's the News....

Read 8110 times
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Jun 06, 2007 09:01:55 pm
      After the "lucky" escape of a crane driver and 3 colleagues at the weekend in Croydon I felt it I should start a new topic based on subjects / news stories that don't get much national news coverage.
      Wether it be good or bad news (some say no news is good news!) this is a place to bring your local / regional news stories to much wider attention.

****************************************************************************

A man was seriously injured and three others trapped 45 metres in the air for seven hours when a crane collapsed on top of a hotel in Croydon yesterday. (Saturday 2nd June).

Men working on the crane were heard screaming as the jib of the contraption crashed on to the roof of the Croydon Park Hotel on Altyre Road just after 2pm.

The crane operator - trapped in the cab hanging from the side of the building - was soon winched to safety by a rescuer suspended by cables from a second crane.

But three others were stuck in the tower of the crane until about 9.20pm when they were rescued by fire crews.

The seriously injured man is in a stable condition in St George's Hospital, Tooting, and the other men were uninjured.

Following the accident, 140 people were evacuated from the hotel and surrounding buildings while more than 50 fire fighters, six fire engines and four fire rescue units attended the scene.

Residents in the area reported hearing a crash "as loud as a bomb" and saw a cloud of dust and debris cover the surrounding streets.

Angela Ferrara, who lives opposite the scene, said: "I was doing some work when I heard this huge crash. The arm of the crane has completely come off and there's metal and debris everywhere.

"I can see that there are three people on top of the crane who cannot get down. There could also be a fourth person in the cab.

"One side of the hotel has been smashed in. I'm not sure about the guests - I've just spoken to an American man who checked into the room below just moments before it happened and he is ok."

No one at the hotel is thought to have been injured and guests have since been allowed back to collect their luggage although the hotel remains closed.

It is thought guests have been transferred to the nearby Fairfield Hotel.

The crane is being used for the Altitude25 housing development, being built next to the hotel.

Barclay and Fairfield Roads were closed off and while traffic was redirected around the incident via Park Hill Road.

*******************************************************************************

Today (Wed, 6th June) I walked past the site to view one of the biggest mobile cranes I've ever seen in action. There were 2 men of great importance relating to the project talking on the roadside near where I was taking a picture.

I heard the conversation consisting of such matters regarding the closure of the hotel, cancellations of formal meetings, wedding receptions etc and the inevitable costs of such matters. Also the crane remaining in place for the HSE to establish further details and procedures relating to it's deconstruction and removal from the site. One guy who was giving most of the details to another mentioned the crane was in the process of being elevated whilst other press reports suggest a girder was being moved.

Fortunately there where no fatalities. A guy falling 100ft in an enclosed cab onto the roof of a hotel was considered "lucky" in as much as there was something there to prevent him falling another 70ft to the ground. I was able to ask about the crane drivers' condition, that was the only thing that I or anyone else would rightly be concerned about. The main guy said he had a broken collar bone and 3 broken ribs plus other 'minor' injuries... "The other 3 workers trapped sustained no major injuries" he added.
      It was mentioned that the accident could have been much, much worse. The main guy said there is a big power plant on the roof... "Which could have caused an explosion had the crane jib landed on it" I added. "Exactly", he said.
      The crane when rebuilt will rise to the height of the mobile crane in the final picture, some 230ft!
      Somebody was looking out for the crane driver, it wasn't his time to go despite staring death right in the face...
      « Last Edit: Jun 08, 2007 01:27:56 am by JD, Reason: Title Changed »
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      And here's the News....
      Reply #1: Jun 06, 2007 09:11:38 pm
      Whaaaat ?????
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #2: Jun 07, 2007 12:18:45 am
      I nearly followed through the other day farting.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #3: Jun 07, 2007 12:22:55 am
      I nearly followed through the other day farting.

Haha Tommo, what's the relevance in that?? :D
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #4: Jun 07, 2007 12:33:54 am

local news round my area !!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #5: Jun 07, 2007 12:42:47 am
      Hmmm I get this thread.  Like post really crap news from the square mile or so in which you live.

I live in Prescot (ahem) but apparently they are planning on building some kind of fancy theatre up here based on the original indoor Elizabethan theatre.

History types reckon that a couple of William Shakespeares very own plays (such as Richard III) were put on in Prescot BEFORE they made it to The Globe down in Stratford.

Fascinating stuff.

Oh yeah, and they're going to put blue lines on the side of my road and give us all parking permits.

More news, when it happens.... ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #6: Jun 07, 2007 12:57:00 am

Too funny!!!!! :D

Erm, the police helecopter was about today? Not much else going on really....
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #7: Jun 07, 2007 01:05:32 am
      Too funny!!!!! :D

Erm, the police helecopter was about today? Not much else going on really....

Actually, this could turn out to be one seriously funny thread.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #8: Jun 07, 2007 01:10:10 am
      Hmmm I get this thread.  Like post really crap news from the square mile or so in which you live.
      More news, when it happens.... ;)

I can see this getting unruly and guess not too many people think that a guy falling 100ft from a crane and 3 other workers being stranded for 7 hours is really news.
      But mrtommo nearly following through the other day farting probably is...
      I guess the crane driver might have something to say about that, I bet he sh*t himself for sure!     :o :o :o
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #9: Jun 07, 2007 01:13:11 am
      I can see this getting unruly and guess not too many people think that a guy falling 100ft from a crane and 3 other workers being stranded for 7 hours is really news.
      But mrtommo nearly following through the other day farting probably is...
      I guess the crane driver might have something to say about that, I bet he sh*t himself for sure!     :o :o :o

RED, I am well in to this thread. Serious.  That is definitely news.  This could be a great thread and you're name will be lit up as the topic started for centuries to come.

A brand new hospital is being built by me and there are about 7 massive cranes in the skyline.  I might try and get a webcam set up so that if anything good serious happens I can post it on here.  I'm going to be checking in on this thread with my local news a lot.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #10: Jun 07, 2007 01:52:58 am
      Although I live in Croydon I am pleased to call Liverpool my Home, home is where the heart is. My Dad lives in Edge Hill less than 2 miles from town and I visit frequently. Whilst on the subject of cranes Liverpool City Centre has it's fair share at the moment, not news perhaps for the locals but:

Grosvenor's plans for a £750m Paradise Street development

THESE pictures show for the first time how Liverpool is changing like never before.

Each picture tells the story of ongoing development on a scale unimaginable only a decade ago.

At the heart of this urban renaissance is Grosvenor's sprawling Liverpool One site.

A cog on which Liverpool's retail sector will soon turn, Liverpool One may currently be little more than a 42-acre building site but by 2008 it will be one of the biggest retail developments in Europe.

Seen from the sky, the scale of Liverpool One is breathtaking. Eleven mammoth cranes are towering over hundreds of construction workers. (I counted 17 on May 24th 2007).

Roadworks and traffic jams in the Big Dig may be a bitter medicine to swallow now.

But in the long-term the dream is that Liverpool is doing the kind of work which will close the door on decades of decline and open up a new vista to prosperity.

Liverpool has, of course, enjoyed eras of growth and prosperity before - but never on this scale.

Liverpool council historian Steve Binns believes the Big Dig represents the most intense and significant period of development in the city's history.

He says: "Even if we look back to Liverpool's golden era in the 19th century, there has never been such a concentration of investment and development. We really are witnessing history in the making."

Not everyone is convinced, of course.

Critics have continually questioned all aspects of the Big Dig and will, justifiably, continue to do so.

Doubts have been expressed and fingers pointed at Liverpool's recent inability to shift major projects from the drawing board to the ground.

But the Big Dig is one major project which is undoubtedly happening.

Liverpool One is just one element of an enormous £3bn programme to transport the city centre from here to modernity.

The long-awaited Kings Dock Arena provides the most telling evidence of the progress that has already been made.

From 500ft in the air it is already an impressive sight, even though it remains 15 months away from completion. (A trip up to the roof of the Anglican Cathederal might be worth a look for some ariel views!)

Liverpool is changing like never before. Of that there can be no doubt.

Paradise Project, Completion date: Summer 2008, but earlier for certain parts of project, Cost: £900m

The scale of Grosvenor's Liverpool One development is enormous - 42 acres, six districts, more than 1.6m sq ft of shopping space, gardens and parks, public spaces, hotels and 600 apartments.

Below is a link to the Masterplan page which details the project:

THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      And here's the News....
      Reply #11: Jun 07, 2007 11:38:09 pm
      When I was having a cup of tea in the garden this afternnon, a Crane flew down and pinched two of me Goldfish.....b***ard.
      Hold the front page !!!!!!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #12: Jun 08, 2007 12:00:09 am
      When I was having a cup of tea in the garden this afternnon, a Crane flew down and pinched two of me Goldfish.....b***ard.
      I can see you are obviously very bored and have nothing better to do... or say! ;)

Have you seen the price of bread lately? Shocking isn't it?!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #13: Jun 08, 2007 02:02:01 am

You know what mate, a f**kin heron pinched two of ours the other week! And we've got one of those plastic herons to warn them off as well!! I'm gonna write into the Echo!!
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #14: Jun 08, 2007 02:49:52 am
      All clear bottom burp at my end now.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #15: Jun 08, 2007 12:02:42 pm
      I can see you are obviously very bored and have nothing better to do... or say! ;)

Have you seen the price of bread lately? Shocking isn't it?!

I actually was quite shocked at the price of bread the other day.

It has been many years since I had to buy Tesco value bread, however the other day the missus wanted to feed the ducks, so I bought some, thinking it would be the 17p or thereabouts that I used to pay some years ago. Well, you can imagine my shock when I realised said bread was now 28p! I tell you, I don't know what the world's coming to :D :D :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #16: Jun 08, 2007 02:58:42 pm
      Totally agree Eddie!!! Don't even get started on milk!...

Some breaking news just coming in now. There's a report that Townsend Avenue is closed off from the junction of Broadway up to the East Lancs Road causing an influx of traffic along my road. Unkown whether it is road works as yet. I'll keep you posted. Apparently it's taken some pedestrains more than a minute to cross the road!!!
      Nothing else to report for now...

I like this thread!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #17: Jun 08, 2007 08:03:23 pm
      The trams in Croydon were not working to their full capacity tonight (there are 22 on the network) because of congestion on the roads!

No crane stories to report today. Hang on!. There's a ... wait a minute, no! False alarm!  :D :D

And I'm sorry to bring this to your attention everyone but...

Feeding ducks bread...THEIR HEALTH

Things not to feed your ducks, bread, yes its true, because it is made from yeast and yeast is a type of fungi and fungi is a mould. Ducks are very weak against moulds which is a huge killer in ducks. A little bit now and then is fine, but bread alone or included as a main part in a meal isn't a good idea at all.

When wild ducks are fed human food such as bread their organs become engorged and fatty, which can cause them to suffer from heart disease, liver problems and other health complications.

Waterfowl at artificial feeding sites are often found to suffer from poor nutrition.  In a natural setting they will seek out a variety of nutritious foods such as aquatic plants, natural grains, and invertebrates.  Bread is very low in protein, contains additives that wildfowl aren't built to cope with, and it's a very poor substitute for natural foods.

Natural food is usually available over a wide area.  At some artificial feeding sites, competition for each crust is high.  Some ducks and geese (usually the youngest) are unable to compete for handouts.  Ducks become unnaturally aggressive towards each other and a nuisance to humans.

Feeding will also create unnaturally high populations of waterfowl at a pond, and diseases generally not transmissible in the wild will flourish in overcrowded and unsanitary conditions.

Visible symptoms of poor nutrition and advanced stages of starvation are often seen at artificial feeding sites; ducks may have drooping wings or may lose their ability to fly; they become sluggish and can't escape from predators such as foxes.

And finally...

It may rain tomorrow, especially if it's wet enough. :D
      « Last Edit: Jun 09, 2007 05:19:46 am by RED1028 »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #18: Jun 09, 2007 07:38:50 pm
      Front page of my local rag this week...

Some woman who's mail is being left on her doorstep :D
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #19: Jun 09, 2007 07:45:39 pm
      Front page of my local rag this week...

Some woman who's mail is being left on her doorstep :D

Should that read male? Still trying to get in the house after going on a sesh last weekend!   :ernaehrung004: :food-smiley-005: :lmao:
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      And here's the News....
      Reply #20: Jun 09, 2007 08:22:34 pm

Feeding ducks bread...THEIR HEALTH

Things not to feed your ducks, bread, yes its true, because it is made from yeast and yeast is a type of fungi and fungi is a mould. Ducks are very weak against moulds which is a huge killer in ducks. A little bit now and then is fine, but bread alone or included as a main part in a meal isn't a good idea at all.

That'll explain the dead duck in my garden...... & i thought it was the cats!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #21: Jun 17, 2007 07:46:17 pm
      Major news in my area this week, chap's been murdered & it's three of the regulars from my local involved.

Murder police name two suspects 

Two men are being sought by detectives in connection with the murder of a 44-year-old in Hertfordshire.
      Police have appealed for help in trying to trace Kevin Spires, 36, of Clarendon Road, Harpenden, and Bobby McQueen, 37, of Aragan Close, Hemel Hempstead.

Mr McQueen and Mr Spires should not be approached, say police

The victim, who has not been formally identified, walked into hospital in Hemel Hempstead with stab wounds, but died later.

A man from the town was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of murder.

Det Ch Insp Mark Ross who is leading the murder investigation said members of the public were advised not to approach the men but to contact police.

Hertfordshire Police believe the two may be in the Clacton area of Essex.

LINK
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #22: Jun 17, 2007 08:53:49 pm
      Major news in my area this week, chap's been murdered & it's three of the regulars from my local involved.

Time to start paying more visits to the Off Licence mate..
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #23: Jun 17, 2007 09:37:37 pm
      One of the lads I work with told me the other day that his girlfriend committed suicide last Monday. He was detained last weekend but came to work and carried on as normal. It wasn't 'til the whispers got round I actually found out from him! The 1st person he told should have been the last person to tell anyone else but that person acted as if they had hold of a hot potato and passed it on to the next guy. I hate it when someone betrays somebody else's confidence like that.  >:(
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #24: Jun 18, 2007 12:29:58 am
      One of the lads I work with told me the other day that his girlfriend committed suicide last Monday. He was detained last weekend but came to work and carried on as normal.

Came to work and carried on as normal.  And work let him. 

I thought this thread was all about local boring news - a murder and a suicide in two consecutive posts. It's a real treat logging on tonight...
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #25: Jun 18, 2007 12:43:35 am
      Sod the suicide, I could murder for a look at the plans for the new stadium!  :D ;)

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #26: Jun 18, 2007 12:57:40 am
      Our cat's just tried to get out of the tiny front window of the house! What a f**kin' liberty!!!!!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #27: Jun 18, 2007 01:15:41 am
      My neighbors' cat has been attacked and it's left ear is going all (wait for it...) pussy! I don't speak to my neighbor because I think she is a weird witch. She is black but has dyed her hair bleach blonde. I want to tell her that the cat is injured.
      Last time I knocked on her door (about a year ago) I mentioned her overflow pipe was leaking big time, we had a hose pipe ban at the time too. Anyway, she let rip with the worst volley of offensive language I have ever heard in my life. She was a ranting, screaming, shouting, abusive and down right cheeky bi*ch! Banging on my door saying "I'll call the Police!"
      Stupid bi*ch! And now the cat is injured and I love cats, especially this one as I don't have pets, what shall I do?  ???
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #28: Jun 18, 2007 01:37:24 am
      My neighbors' cat has been attacked and it's left ear is going all (wait for it...) pussy! I don't speak to my neighbor because I think she is a weird witch. She is black but has dyed her hair bleach blonde. I want to tell her that the cat is injured.
      Last time I knocked on her door (about a year ago) I mentioned her overflow pipe was leaking big time, we had a hose pipe ban at the time too. Anyway, she let rip with the worst volley of offensive language I have ever heard in my life. She was a ranting, screaming, shouting, abusive and down right cheeky bi*ch! Banging on my door saying "I'll call the Police!"
      Stupid bi*ch! And now the cat is injured and I love cats, especially this one as I don't have pets, what shall I do?  ???

She might be a bi*ch but the cat needs attention mate. If it was me, I'd knock on her door and tell her, her cat has been attacked. Not much else you can do if it's not your pet. But at least you'll be doing something about it.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #29: Jun 18, 2007 01:51:45 am
      She might be a bi*ch but the cat needs attention mate. If it was me, I'd knock on her door and tell her, her cat has been attacked. Not much else you can do if it's not your pet. But at least you'll be doing something about it.

Guess your right, might stick a note on a brick through her window through her door cos if I make eye contact with her she might turn me into stone. Watch this space, tune in tomorrow mate... :action-smiley-065:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #30: Jun 18, 2007 01:54:09 am
      Guess your right, might stick a note on a brick through her window through her door cos if I make eye contact with her she might turn me into stone. Watch this space, tune in tomorrow mate... :action-smiley-065:

I'll be waiting to hear what happens mate. Hope the cat's not too bad.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #31: Aug 23, 2007 03:06:41 pm
      It's all kicking off in the town I work in today:

Armed police called to shooting incident

Press Association
      Thursday August 23, 2007
      Guardian Unlimited

A number of people were seriously injured in a street shooting today.
      Armed officers raced to the scene of the attack near the railway station in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire.

Police said Pixmore Avenue in the town was sealed off after the incident at about 11.40am.

A spokeswoman for Hertfordshire police said a number of people were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

A number of weapons were recovered and a number of people arrested, the spokeswoman said, but she could not confirm details of the incident.

Taxi drivers near Letchworth's railway station said one man had been shot in the face after an argument between two men.

A driver, who asked not to be named, said: "As far as I know a man has been shot in the face three times.

"I've been told by other drivers that one of the blokes said he was going to shoot the other and the other one said 'go on then'. And he did, three times."

LINK

Two roads are closed, bloody traffic's a nightmare. Just driven past the crime scene, being the nosey b***ard that I am, can't really see a lot.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      And here's the News....
      Reply #32: Aug 23, 2007 09:14:58 pm
      Its pretty sombre round here tonight after whats happened to that poor 11 year old kid, police everywhere, the whole estate has been closed with access only.  Feel for his family, must be a bloody nightmare for them  :'(  Just hope they charge someone soon and hope the government finally do something about this gun culture thats taking over and not let the b*stards get away with it.   >:( 
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #33: Aug 23, 2007 10:44:05 pm
      I remember being a kid...
      When I was as young as 7, living in Mitcham, South London, me and my sister were allowed to go half a mile from the house, unattended and play in the park, no big deal.
      I could go down the shop for my Grandma in Kenny (aged 8 ) and get her 40 ciggies from Mr B's opposite the ice rink - no hassle.
      When I lived in N. Wales I could go miles from my house on my Chopper, play in the sand hills on the prom, virtually disappear, no problem, (aged 10).

It's shocking that gangs of kids have access to guns, knives and drugs. They even have the audacity to kick the sh*t out of someone for fun, film it all and then post it on the net for all to see!
      If I even considered doing anything of that nature when I was younger my parents would kill me for sure. I was sh*t scared of my parents and had ultimate respect for them (99.99% of the time). The thought of letting them down or getting in trouble was just unthinkable.
      My sister mixed with a few rouges / the wrong sort in her youth and caused my old man many a headache. He had enough on his plate without dealing with that type of sh*t but somehow he would always come good for her despite her short comings, blood is thicker etc. We were 2 of many youths trying to find their own identities in a big wide world having lived here, schooled there, with step dad number 2, it wasn't easy. Ultimately our parents never let us down and we had total respect for them and what they did for us.

The point I'm trying to make here is I don't believe there is much (if any) respect for elders these days, at least not on the same scale as when I was growing up. The youth culture of today is influenced by all the wrong things as mentioned before. What happened to idolizing sports stars (ie Daley Thompson, King Kenny etc in my day). Rap stars bleeting bollocks about being tough and living in a crib (FFS! Please!) is about all some teenage ghetto kids aspire to today. Perhaps not quite but not far from it either. Kids rebel at any age, it's natural but to isolate parents as their ideals are different from their own or to shun the education system to be a gagsta is nothing short of pathetic.
      A kid wound up dead last night, another last week, another last month, what will tomorrow bring? Youth culture is going through a major crisis and charging someone with murder will not solve the problem as a whole. A massive shift of conscience has to take place. It must start at the top with the Government introducing new measures to curb this mentality through it's education system. Tomorrow's adults are today's adults responsibility and we must do whatever we can to educate them - otherwise more lives will be lost to mindless, uneducated idiots.

A tragic loss of such a promising life...

Sincere condolences to all who knew Rhys Jones,
      my thoughts and prayers are with you. YNWA

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #34: Aug 23, 2007 11:03:09 pm
      To be honest. I preferred this thread when it was a piss take.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #35: Aug 23, 2007 11:48:29 pm
      The loss of this little lad's life is tragic, I couldn't help but reflect on my youth...

But on a more up-beat note kop a load of this...  ;) :D

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/index.php?module=see&lang=fr&code=85926d15a4b2962cf1af197908129e9b
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      And here's the News....
      Reply #36: Aug 24, 2007 06:53:43 pm
      Thats more like it RED1028  :D :D :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #37: Sep 20, 2007 04:35:49 pm
       :D :D :D

Unbelievable!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7003325.stm

Man, 72, refused alcohol over age

Supermarket staff refused to sell alcohol to a white-haired 72-year-old man - because he would not confirm he was over 21.
      Check-out staff at Morrisons in West Kirby, Wirral, demanded Tony Ralls prove he was old enough to buy his two bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Mr Ralls asked to see the manager who put the wine back on the shelf.

The grandfather-of-three said he had refused to confirm he was over 21 as it was a "stupid question."

Mr Ralls, a retired insurance firm regional manager, said he expected the store manager to resolve the situation but he was disappointed.

"I felt like saying 'What do I look like? Are you a fool?'

"He picks up the wine and, in the manner of a child taking home his ball, says 'Well, we won't serve you'."

The pensioner abandoned his shopping on the conveyor belt and left the store - but not before demanding a complaints form and phone number for Morrisons' headquarters.

Mr Ralls said: "It is bureaucracy gone mad. If the check-out lady, who was about 40, had asked me with a twinkle in her eye perhaps I would not have been so tetchy.

"But she asked me the question with a perfectly straight face and I said I wouldn't dignify the question with an answer.

"And if the manager had explained that all the staff had to ask everyone because they had previously been fined, but said I was clearly over 21, it would have been fine - but he showed no sense of humour."

Mr Ralls added that he felt embarrassed to return to the supermarket and wanted an apology for "the stupid and unnecessary confrontation."

He added: "I applaud any efforts to stop kids being served and standing on street corners getting drunk. But this was just totally stupid."

A Morrisons spokesman said: "We take our responsibility with regard to selling alcohol very seriously and all our stores operate the Task 21 scheme, which addresses the difficulties our staff face in being able to determine if a customer is legally old enough to buy alcohol.

"To further limit any element of doubt staff at the West Kirby store are required to ask anyone buying alcohol to confirm that they are over 21."

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      And here's the News....
      Reply #38: Sep 20, 2007 05:00:51 pm
      This is stupid as I understand it the idea is anyone who looks under 21 will get their id checked, I have been served alcohol since I was 16ish and only once got asked for id... on my 18th Bday :D.  My brother is 2 years older and always got refused he is still being checked even now (he is 26) which is fair enough if thats the law but some1 of a "mature age" should be deserve a little more respect.
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      And here's the News....
      Reply #39: Sep 20, 2007 05:24:32 pm
      Complete lack of common sense shown by the staff.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #40: Sep 20, 2007 06:45:30 pm
      Wouldn't expect anything less from Morrisons TBH. About a year ago I had an issue with them when they tried to accuse me of shoplifting. The baskets were out the front of the store & I walked out with goods in my hand to get one. If they'd stopped me at that point I could understand their case, but they stopped me after I'd come back into the shop, put the goods in the basket & continued with my shopping! I ended up with two days in court to clear my name, and couldn't claim any lost earnings either >:(
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      And here's the News....
      Reply #41: Sep 20, 2007 09:34:45 pm
      Wouldn't expect anything less from Morrisons TBH. About a year ago I had an issue with them when they tried to accuse me of shoplifting. The baskets were out the front of the store & I walked out with goods in my hand to get one. If they'd stopped me at that point I could understand their case, but they stopped me after I'd come back into the shop, put the goods in the basket & continued with my shopping! I ended up with two days in court to clear my name, and couldn't claim any lost earnings either >:(

bas**rds aint they!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #42: Sep 27, 2007 08:00:29 pm
      I split my head open at work today, there was claret everywhere!
      The driver lifts tonne bags of ballast from the lorry with his Hiab crane into position on the ground. He had stacked them 3 high and I went to unhook the rear chain but couldn't reach. I jumped up to grab the rear hook and Smack! I split my head open on the metal scoop bucket! Ouch! I had to stop work for an hour and I still feel a bit Woooh!  :-[

The crane in this picture was about 6ft off the ground, like my head was on impact with the bucket!  :D :D ::)
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #43: Sep 27, 2007 08:10:16 pm
      Red is your middle name lucky by any chance? smashed finger and bashed head, maybe its time for a carear change
      MsGerrard
      And here's the News....
      Reply #44: Sep 27, 2007 08:18:04 pm
      Ahhh!! that sounds nasty that does, hope it doesn't knock any sense into you ;D

Sorry....Only joking!!!

You have to be careful with a knock to the head, hope it doesn't affect your running
      Take Care Red ;)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #45: Sep 27, 2007 08:49:30 pm
      Anything to get an hour off work... ;)

Yeah, I have a splitting headache!  :D

I must keep my head down tomorrow and get on with my work!  :D

Where there's no sense there's no feeling... etc, etc!  ::)

Next thing we'll have the Health & Safety Executive pay us a visit...

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      And here's the News....
      Reply #46: Sep 27, 2007 08:53:06 pm
      Hope your ok for the weekend Red, gotta get that PB in the half marathon  ;)  Any chance of compensation ??  >:D
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #47: Sep 27, 2007 09:07:35 pm
      Injury Lawyers for you... It's only a bump with some blood on it... and a 1" gash! Hardly worth the hassle, mind you with the accidents I am having at work I could make a living out of it!  :D  :D :D

Should be fine for the weekend, It'll take more than a head injury to stop me running!
      Crap joke time: If your nose runs and your feet smell your upside down!  ::)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #48: Sep 27, 2007 10:18:21 pm
      Red, just have to say your posts are always great to read - even if the humour this time was at your expense!

Hope you get better soon you big skiver! ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #49: Sep 27, 2007 10:19:33 pm
      Where was your hard hat?!!!!!
      It happened today and you still feel a bit wooh? Should have got yourself checked out. Shouldn't mess about with head injuries. Hope you feel better soon mate.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #50: Sep 28, 2007 06:08:36 pm
      When I was at work today I was stood talking to a customer when I got hit by a big raindrop... right on the same spot as my 1" gash!  :o  Should have worn a hard hat!  :D :D :D
      MsGerrard
      And here's the News....
      Reply #51: Sep 28, 2007 07:38:13 pm
      Red  it's not your lucky day is it, it's a good job it's not a month down the line...on your birthday :D
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #52: Sep 28, 2007 09:04:15 pm
      Less than 1 month to go... I can't wait! I have a big event lined up somewhere and I want to tell the forum my secret but I can't... not yet!
      I am going to do something I've never done before in a place I've always wanted to go...
      that's it, no more info...!  ;)

And because I have a Top Secret I thought I'd add this special video from
      Switzerland's Top Secret Drum Corps...

(I used to play the snare drum in the Cadets in Wavertree when I was 15!
      and drumming has nothing to do with my Top secret by the way!)  ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #53: Sep 28, 2007 09:49:09 pm
      You making a guest appearance with Iron Maiden? But you wont be playing the drums you'll be the bands dancer the way Bez was to the Happy Mondays? Come on RED, tell us you big tease! ;)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #54: Sep 29, 2007 06:32:25 am
      You making a guest appearance with Iron Maiden?  But you wont be playing the drums you'll be the bands dancer the way Bez was to the Happy Mondays?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Had me in stitches that! You can just see it now, RED running round the stage, with his drum sticks, quick drum roll here, quick paradiddle there, head banging all the time like Angus from ACDC!  :lmao: :lmao:
      Come on RED, tell us you big tease! [/quote]

I met Clive Burr (Maiden's original drummer) along with Paul Di'Anno at the Ruskin Arms in East London in 2001. They had an Iron Maiden day at the venue to celebrate where they played their 1st gig 25 years ago - now 30 years ago!

Anyway, No!  :angry-smiley-034: Not telling you... arms folded, head shaking side to side,
      (Iron Maiden album on full blast in the background!)  :D
      MsGerrard
      And here's the News....
      Reply #55: Sep 29, 2007 11:11:32 am
      Come on RED, tell us you big tease!

I met Clive Burr (Maiden's original drummer) along with Paul Di'Anno at the Ruskin Arms in East London in 2001. They had an Iron Maiden day at the venue to celebrate where they played their 1st gig 25 years ago - now 30 years ago!

Anyway, No!  :angry-smiley-034: Not telling you... arms folded, head shaking side to side,
      (Iron Maiden album on full blast in the background!)  :D

Red you are a spoilsport, it must be something good, we will await your surprise with anticipation :o
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #56: Sep 29, 2007 12:25:40 pm
      police in liverpool have arrested 3 of 4 well known scouse  islamic terrorists:Bin Muggin,Bin dealin and Bin thievin.there was no sign of Bin workin

Wrong thread this post.. should be in the Jokes thread... the crap jokes thread.
      Obviously not from Liverpool or have I lost my sense of humour?  ???

priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      And here's the News....
      Reply #57: Sep 29, 2007 12:49:45 pm
      That is a funny read Red1028!!

shame its not the chavs bangin there heads tho, might knock a bit of sense into them.................
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      And here's the News....
      Reply #58: Sep 29, 2007 03:13:03 pm
      local news in my area:

a cow fell down a hill as onlookers in a bus laughed at it :D
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #59: Oct 09, 2007 10:39:54 pm
      We just had a power cut tonight for about an hour... the good ol' blitz spirit was evident in our street... people everywhere saying "Oh no! What happens if my freezer defrosts...!"
      I got in me car, left them all to it and went down the gym... 1 mile away... they had a power cut too!  :D :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #60: Oct 10, 2007 07:51:01 pm
      Power cuts are great. 

sh*te for the internet though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #61: Oct 10, 2007 07:51:31 pm
      Power cuts are great. 

sh*te for the internet though.

Power cut near you tonight JD? Blame the roadworks on Muirhead... ;)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #62: Oct 10, 2007 09:22:17 pm
      Evening all..! Another RED 10 28 post coming up... ;)

I woke up too early this morning and with nothing better to do I just flicked the TV on at 7am before I left for work. There was the usual nonsense on but at the end of the bulletin I saw this report...

Strewth mate! Imagine seeing Skippy bouncing around on the race track in front of you...!
      Or worse still, imagine checking your mirrors and seeing him bounding up behind you, then over-taking you!

"Aaagh mate, I must get to bed earlier before race days, these beer and BBQ parties go on far too late!"

Attempts to track the 'roo down for lucrative sponsorship deals have been flooding in to race tracks all over Austraila. Rolf Harris will also be releasing a new version of "Tie me Kangaroo down sport.."

G'day!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #63: Oct 10, 2007 09:42:43 pm
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #64: Oct 10, 2007 10:50:47 pm
      A bit more 'roo mania! Check out the loose tyre clip too... absolutely unbelievable - it's a classic!  :o ;)

The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      And here's the News....
      Reply #65: Oct 11, 2007 02:35:19 am
      that was the race at "Bathurst" on the weekend.....
      the pinnacle V8 supercar race here in Oz...

where this was also spotted....
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      And here's the News....
      Reply #66: Oct 24, 2007 10:52:20 pm
      Finally... here is the news I've been promising you all...  ;)
      (and I am gutted by tonight's result just to put things into perspective before you read this...)  >:(

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2007 10:59:19 pm by RED1028 »
      SuperJon
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 105 posts |
      And here's the News....
      Reply #67: Oct 24, 2007 11:44:09 pm
      http://breitbart.tv/html/7091.html

That's a reporter in California reporting on his own house being burnt down in the fires.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      And here's the News....
      Reply #68: Oct 25, 2007 12:26:09 am
      http://breitbart.tv/html/7091.html

That's a reporter in California reporting on his own house being burnt down in the fires.

That was on the news here Jon. Very distressing. What area's of CA have been affected now then? Any updates?
      SuperJon
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 105 posts |
      And here's the News....
      Reply #69: Oct 25, 2007 12:56:21 am
      It's mainly Southern California.  A friend of mine got this e-mail from a friend of his in San Diego yesterday:

But the TV is not doing it justice... flying into SD was like going into hell.... There are literally a 100 miles of fires on the East county and Smoke that make thunderheads look like nothing.... there were dozens of smoke stacks that made you think there were dozens of volcanos all erupting... I've never seen anything to compare but a bad movie depicting the surface of Venus.....

The neighborhood that guy lives in has at least 21 of the 60 houses are burnt down.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #70: Oct 26, 2007 06:47:33 pm
      lfcreds.com latest news.

Eddie no longer has the top 9 topics running in the Arkles  :lmao:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #71: Oct 26, 2007 06:49:51 pm
      lfcreds.com latest news.

Eddie no longer has the top 9 topics running in the Arkles  :lmao:

b***ard, and my takeover was going so well :D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #72: Oct 26, 2007 06:53:24 pm
      Hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check who started this topic now :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #73: Oct 26, 2007 06:54:15 pm
      You cannot stop me, I am unstoppable :D :D :D
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #74: Oct 26, 2007 07:10:22 pm
      You cannot stop me, I am unstoppable :D :D :D

Smartarse  :lmao:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #75: Oct 26, 2007 07:20:07 pm
      sh*t, I've really buggered it now. I can't delete the first post in a topic, and it won't let me split the topic from the first post either!

JD - Help!
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #76: Oct 26, 2007 07:21:09 pm
      sh*t, I've really buggered it now. I can't delete the first post in a topic, and it won't let me split the topic from the first post either!

JD - Help!

:lmao:  not so smartarse   :lmao:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      And here's the News....
      Reply #77: Oct 26, 2007 07:22:32 pm
      I think I've worked out a way, doing it now ;)
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: And here's the News....
      Reply #78: Oct 26, 2007 07:31:56 pm
      Sorted!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: And here's the News....
      Reply #79: Apr 16, 2008 11:14:22 pm

Murder police name two suspects 

Two men are being sought by detectives in connection with the murder of a 44-year-old in Hertfordshire.
      Police have appealed for help in trying to trace Kevin Spires, 36, of Clarendon Road, Harpenden, and Bobby McQueen, 37, of Aragan Close, Hemel Hempstead.

Mr McQueen and Mr Spires should not be approached, say police

The victim, who has not been formally identified, walked into hospital in Hemel Hempstead with stab wounds, but died later.

A man from the town was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of murder.

Det Ch Insp Mark Ross who is leading the murder investigation said members of the public were advised not to approach the men but to contact police.

Hertfordshire Police believe the two may be in the Clacton area of Essex.

LINK

Thought I'd give you an update on this story, one of the fella's has just been given life yesterday.

Man is convicted of killing rival

A 36-year-old man has been jailed for life for murdering an underworld rival who died after he drove himself to hospital with stab wounds.

Neil Orton, 44, of Jupiter Drive, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, suffered a severed spleen and told hospital staff: "I've been stabbed seven times."

He died hours after arriving at Hemel Hempstead Hospital on 14 June 2007.

Kevin Spires, of Cuffley Court, Hemel Hempstead, was found guilty of murder after a trial at St Albans Crown Court.

During the trial, the jury heard how there was a history of bad feeling between Spires and Mr Orton, who both have convictions for violence and drugs.

'Code of silence'

Mr Orton was once shot in the head during an incident on the M1 near Watford.

The case against the alleged gunman collapsed after Mr Orton withdrew a statement he had given police.

Jurors heard how Spires suffered a broken arm in an attack, said to have been carried out by Mr Orton and two other men in Hemel Hempstead in 2005.

George Heimler, prosecuting, told how Spires "honoured the code of silence and principle of self-help" by not talking to police.

On the evening of 13 June, Mr Orton was drinking in the Royal Stag pub in Hemel Hempstead when Spires came in, jurors heard.

Mr Orton wanted to end the feud between them and they spent the evening playing pool before going back to his home, along with a friend of Spires.

Moments after arriving, Spires had stabbed Mr Orton seven times in the chest and back.

Mr Orton underwent two emergency operations, but died hours later after suffering a heart attack.

Passing sentence Judge Michael Baker QC told Spires: "In the pub there was no sign of trouble between you and Mr Orton but earlier events make it likely you bore him a grudge."

Spires must serve at least 16 years before he can be considered for parole.

LINK

The other chap had the charges dropped before it went to trial, but apparently the police found a firearm & he's been sentenced to five years.

Quick Reply