Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool -> Man City)

Read 315701 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation
      Reply #782: Mar 19, 2015 12:49:39 pm
      In other news, on November 24, 2014, Pablo Sandoval came to an agreement with the Boston Red Sox on a five-year, $100 million contract with a club option for a sixth year.

On November 25, 2014, Hanley Ramirez signed a four-year, $88 million deal with a fifth year vesting option worth $22 million, to return to the Boston Red Sox.

Whoop-de-F***ing-doo.  Let Raheem sign up with the Sox and play rounders then.  Comparing these two things is like comparing apples and drinking hot chocolate in a small mountainside chalet and you've run out of mini-marshmallows.  I was going to stick with oranges, but felt it needed a greater emphasis.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #783: Mar 19, 2015 01:01:39 pm
      In other news, on November 24, 2014, Pablo Sandoval came to an agreement with the Boston Red Sox on a five-year, $100 million contract with a club option for a sixth year.

On November 25, 2014, Hanley Ramirez signed a four-year, $88 million deal with a fifth year vesting option worth $22 million, to return to the Boston Red Sox.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread since the Red Sox operate with their own budget on the money THEY generate.

Congratulations on meaningless post of the day.  (and honorable mention to whoever gave you an up vote)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #784: Mar 19, 2015 01:05:25 pm
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #785: Mar 19, 2015 01:09:13 pm
      But like I said, even if signed a five year deal with the one you're suggesting, in two years time there'll be another long drawn saga when he (or his agent) wants an inflated flat wage before we even get into the bonuses.
      bugger yer good point mate, its a catch 22 if he really already has eyes out the door for one of the big two in spain then we probably need to accept he will go at some point as soon as he thinks his boots are to big for our club.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #786: Mar 19, 2015 01:11:16 pm
      Of course you are right long term but this is a more individual scenario.

for me Sterling still has a lot to prove and his deal should reflect that

We have very similar players already in the squad and on loan with the same potential IMHO and it wouldnā€™t be the end of all things if he decided he was worth more and we then got an inflated fee for him.

The club should never be held to ransom, regardless of the ability of a player

Just my honest opinion

Of course the club shouldn't be held to ransom, completely agree.

However neither you or me or anyone else on here know how the talks are going, we don't know what's bring asked for or being offered.

Here's where I'm at, I'm not suggesting we offer him something crazy, not at all, I believe we should work within a reasonable wage structure.
      These contracts are like anything in the world though they [the players] are only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

There is [fairly solid] talk that our pay structure is now incentive based and that we don't like and aren't willing to pay heavy agents fees [ which the agent will obviously dislike]. Personally I think that the talk of 150k is complete bollocks if I'm honest and the problem being that we are actually offering an incentive based deal where there structure is that our basic offer and the ideal of 100 [ish] is the sticking point.. That we are offering the ability to earn 100 with all boxes ticked and eventually raising of the course of the contract with incremental improvements in his development.

So for example of we are offering 80 basic and with bonuses 100 but his agent may well be simply asking for 100 up front per week.

What Raheem needs to think though is he is a perfect club to do that development and that he is playing week in week out and has a better opportunity to develop into one of the worlds best by playing and developing with regular football at a club currently with the reputation of developing youngsters rather than buying in superstars rather than going to a [real Madrid] for example and playing 1 in 4 and not improving his levels.

I personally am 99% sure a deal will be signed and the compromise both sides want will be found. I think Raheem will be instructing his agent to make sure he gets a deal here.

I don't think the deal will be anywhere near over 100 when it's signed and probably less.

What I meant above though mate is from a club point of view if we persist with this style of business for the club we have to ensure that the kids we are developing we don't lose them when they look to be taking the final few steps into being the rounded player we have worked on for 6 years through the academy and first team.. Even if we sold Raheem for 50 million we wouldn't upgrade on him, it would be spread around.. The only way we have a world class star now, is to buy them raw and turn them into the finished product. But if we want to watch the finished product even if only for two to three seasons we have to pay them when they reach it.

I'm not talking specifically Raheem there but in general with this model.

I'm not for one second advocating paying Raheem 150k a week now.

But I would think that our offer isn't even anywhere near 100 yet.. From FSGs position and Ian Ayre doing his job he would never go all in and offer the top end of what we believe is value straight away as that leaves you no wriggle room for negotiations.. I'd imagine we are 'low balling' with the wriggle room to 100 at the absolute maximum.
      But there is no way when any player is on 35 currently you throw your chips in and offer 100. I bet we started around 60 and talks are ongoing.

He won't get nor is he ready for anything like 150 but a deal will be signed I have no doubt.

The best place for his development is right here and he will know that
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #787: Mar 19, 2015 01:51:40 pm
      As Paisley has hinted at above if Raheem does not realise he is with a fantastic coach, exciting team and one that is on the verge of achieving big things, then he needs to consider getting a new Agent......

That all said sure he will sign a new deal.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #788: Mar 19, 2015 02:02:09 pm
      Liverpool ā€œhave no intentionā€ to pay Raheem Sterling Ā£150k per week
      Henry Jackson on Mar 19, 2015
      According to Pearce, the Redsā€™ chief reporter for the Liverpool Echo, the vast wages Sterlingā€™s representatives are demanding will not be met ā€“ but he still expects the young star to remain at Anfield.

ā€œI donā€™t think Liverpool will give in to Ā£150,000 a week. Speaking to people at the club, itā€™s clear they have no intention to pay him that much,ā€ said Pearce, on AnfieldIndexā€˜s ā€˜RedRoomā€˜ podcast this week.

ā€œIā€™m baffled as to how his representatives are turning their nose up at Ā£100,000 a week. Sterling is 20 years of age. Heā€™s not a world-class player, and although heā€™s potentially top class, heā€™s not yet the finished product.

ā€œI donā€™t believe that Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are waiting in the wings ready to swoop and pay him what he wants this summer.

ā€œHe owes a lot to Brendan Rodgers for making him the player he is. Not many players of his age have played over 100 games for a top club, and if he has any sense he will stay and sign a five-year contract. I believe that will be the case, and that common sense will prevail.ā€
      Pearce also spoke about Jordan Hendersonā€˜s current contract talks, saying that despite a few complex issues, he firmly believes the vice-captain will sign on the dotted line sooner rather than later.

ā€œItā€™s a bit of an awkward stand-off at the moment because Ā£80,000 a week has been offered but Henderson wants over Ā£100,000 a week.

ā€œA lot of it has to do with Henderson replacing Steven Gerrard as captain, with his representatives feeling he should be rewarded appropriately for becoming such a big player at the club.

ā€œItā€™s interesting how Brendan Rodgers has backtracked in recent weeks with regards to the captaincy, saying nothing is guaranteed. I think that is linked to the contract situation.

ā€œHenderson has absolutely no intention of leaving though, and loves it at Liverpool. The situation will get sorted.ā€

Sterlingā€™s current contract expires in 2017, while Hendersonā€™s expires next summer, 2016.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/03/liverpool-wont-give-raheem-sterling-says-james-pearce/
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #789: Mar 19, 2015 02:37:32 pm
      According to Pearce, the Redsā€™ chief reporter for the Liverpool Echo, the vast wages Sterlingā€™s representatives are demanding will not be met ā€“ but he still expects the young star to remain at Anfield.

ā€œI donā€™t think Liverpool will give in to Ā£150,000 a week. Speaking to people at the club, itā€™s clear they have no intention to pay him that much,ā€ said Pearce, on AnfieldIndexā€˜s ā€˜RedRoomā€˜ podcast this week.

ā€œIā€™m baffled as to how his representatives are turning their nose up at Ā£100,000 a week. Sterling is 20 years of age. Heā€™s not a world-class player, and although heā€™s potentially top class, heā€™s not yet the finished product.

ā€œI donā€™t believe that Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are waiting in the wings ready to swoop and pay him what he wants this summer.

ā€œHe owes a lot to Brendan Rodgers for making him the player he is. Not many players of his age have played over 100 games for a top club, and if he has any sense he will stay and sign a five-year contract. I believe that will be the case, and that common sense will prevail.ā€
      Pearce also spoke about Jordan Hendersonā€˜s current contract talks, saying that despite a few complex issues, he firmly believes the vice-captain will sign on the dotted line sooner rather than later.

ā€œItā€™s a bit of an awkward stand-off at the moment because Ā£80,000 a week has been offered but Henderson wants over Ā£100,000 a week.

ā€œA lot of it has to do with Henderson replacing Steven Gerrard as captain, with his representatives feeling he should be rewarded appropriately for becoming such a big player at the club.

ā€œItā€™s interesting how Brendan Rodgers has backtracked in recent weeks with regards to the captaincy, saying nothing is guaranteed. I think that is linked to the contract situation.

ā€œHenderson has absolutely no intention of leaving though, and loves it at Liverpool. The situation will get sorted.ā€

Sterlingā€™s current contract expires in 2017, while Hendersonā€™s expires next summer, 2016.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/03/liverpool-wont-give-raheem-sterling-says-james-pearce/

Good!!!!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #790: Mar 19, 2015 02:49:34 pm

Very sensible analysis of the situation. To be honest, everytime a contract comes up for renewal for any player in the spotlight, there is a prolonged discussion, stand offs, rumours of FC Galactica and Universal Beast Utd waiting in the wings as fuelled by vampirical agents who convince the players and themselves that they're just doing their best, and eventually most situations get sorted out. I'm confident it will be the case for both Raheem and Hendo.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #791: Mar 19, 2015 02:58:17 pm
      150k a week  :lmao:

Get real Raheem or go F**k off to Shitty and warm their bench for the rest of your career.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #792: Mar 19, 2015 03:04:43 pm

Very sensible analysis of the situation. To be honest, everytime a contract comes up for renewal for any player in the spotlight, there is a prolonged discussion, stand offs, rumours of FC Galactica and Universal Beast Utd waiting in the wings as fuelled by vampirical agents who convince the players and themselves that they're just doing their best, and eventually most situations get sorted out. I'm confident it will be the case for both Raheem and Hendo.

It always tickles me that normally sensible people suddenly start believing every rag that throws out nonsense and tries to stir the sh*t.
      I'd guess that as much as 90% of this thread is down to tabloid sh*t stirring.

Meanwhile, actual comments from players about sorting contracts out at the end of the season are ignored.

Puzzling.  ???
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #793: Mar 19, 2015 11:30:36 pm
      yeah it's weird how a random degenerate working in one of the foulest industries we have on the planet can make something up about a Liverpool player and get it in print and grown men run off to the internet to abuse their player about it. I thought Liverpool men were supposed to be smarter than that? I mean if we're that dumb, it'll get to the players eventually, how will the players continue to respect the once famous once united front that is LFC support if we've become so easily manipulated?
      Andy Phillips
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #794: Mar 19, 2015 11:46:34 pm
      I just hope they sort the contract out sooner rather than later. The club should state a deadline date and say after that he is up for grabs to the highest bidder, thereby preventing an OWEN situation.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #795: Mar 20, 2015 06:28:50 am

This here is classic properganda. The club is obviously leaking this in attempt to put pressure on not only Raheem signing, but It's also a clear message to the rest of the contingent in contract talks both now and in the future. That they will not be held to ransom.

I can really see this getting messy. Raheems agent is doing what he's payed to do, and that is to get the best deal for his client and that's why they're taking such a hardball stance.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #796: Mar 20, 2015 09:51:09 am
      city interested in him for 50mil in the summer (not confirmed) who would take that if he doesnt sign our next offer made in the summer as i dont think he will sign until then.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #797: Mar 20, 2015 10:37:12 am
      Sterling will sign at some point. If he doesn't then he's only concerned about a payday and not about his development, in which case...eh, we don't need him.

This is becoming a yawner topic.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #798: Mar 20, 2015 02:06:02 pm
      Sterling will sign at some point. If he doesn't then he's only concerned about a payday and not about his development, in which case...eh, we don't need him.

This is becoming a yawner topic.

So Raheem is only "interested in a payday"?
      Yet your heroes from Boston are doing everything because they are "fervent, fervent fans", to quote Werner.

Hmmm, meanwhile on Earth.... :roll:
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #799: Mar 20, 2015 02:14:22 pm
      Currently, Fenway are getting one of the PL's biggest names for a wage which may be as low as 35k a week, acc to some estimates.

If we're going point fingers about who's dragging their heels, maybe we should look at who's benefiting from the current situation...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #800: Mar 20, 2015 02:28:30 pm
      Currently, Fenway are getting one of the PL's biggest names for a wage which may be as low as 35k a week, acc to some estimates.

If we're going point fingers about who's dragging their heels, maybe we should look at who's benefiting from the current situation...

Pretty sure he's on about 60k or so per week.

Which is a little low for someone of his caliber but not like a slap in the face.

I think the person that should be upset in all of this is Coutinho who is going to be paid less than Sterling and is far more important to the team.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #801: Mar 20, 2015 02:30:40 pm
      Pretty sure he's on about 60k or so per week.

Which is a little low for someone of his caliber but not like a slap in the face.

I think the person that should be upset in all of this is Coutinho who is going to be paid less than Sterling and is far more important to the team.

That's Phil's fault though FL.

I don't get this theory that because Coutinho accepted his offer Raheem should just accept the same if he thinks its not his 'value'.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #802: Mar 20, 2015 02:32:09 pm
      One of the PL's biggest names?
       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This constant hyperbole is why he's on so many peoples ignore lists I suppose.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #803: Mar 20, 2015 02:33:22 pm

I don't get this theory that because Coutinho accepted his offer Raheem should just accept the same if he thinks its not his 'value'.

Nor me.
      It kind of smacks of people just looking for another stick to beat the lad with.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #804: Mar 20, 2015 02:33:46 pm

I don't think I intimated that did I?

Raheem should get the best deal he can (hopefully putting emphasis on being at the club that will keep him on his best career path...namely ours), I'm saying that if Phil sees Raheem on close to 150k after all is said and done and Hendo on 100 or 120k he may get a little miffed.

OR....he loves LFC and is happy to play for a wage that 99% of the world would see as unimaginable?

Quick Reply