Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Penalty-gate

Read 19740 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: Penalty-gate
      Reply #69: Feb 20, 2015 02:40:02 am
      I didn't see the full game but I'd rather this hot blooded competition than the meek or pass the onus on attitude that was clearly there in the first half of the season for us.
      A discussion on the pitch and Gerrard wants to be honest in the studio- not a politician, always following the company line, we aren't a company we are a honest club with fire in the blood.
      That's my take on this anyway.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #70: Feb 20, 2015 02:56:01 am
      All that matters is Balotelli took the penalty, scored and won the match for us. It would of been more of a worry if he had missed. Then the knives would of really been out for him.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #71: Feb 20, 2015 03:14:22 am
      I want my penalty taker to be the kind of person who would punch a team-mate in the face because he was so confident to score.

The rest of the team should be getting bollocked for not demanding the ball, not Balotelli,.

Hendo is still learning but next time he needs to either laugh and throw the ball to Mario or kick him in the ass in front of the team. Sulking after the goal is the worst possible outcome if you are a captain because it removes authority.

What the f**k Stevie is talking about I have no idea; captain's job is to make sure the best penalty taker on the park takes the kick. It illustrates for me why he has never been a great captain. He got it completely wrong as he did when he let Sturridge take the pen against Swansea.

Spot on.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,725 posts | 3738 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #72: Feb 20, 2015 05:29:26 am
      As I said in Mario's thread. Every player has the right to take penalties. They have the right to ask to the 1st penalty taker in this case Henderson) and he has the right to hand over or refuse the request. Not sure whether Henderson said no or not, but based on Balotelli's tweet, he did let him take it. If the reason he let Mario took it because he can't stand up to Balotelli, then Henderson shouldn't even take the penalty in the first place let alone the arm band.

As for Gerrard speaking to the media even before he even speak to the team, he has disrespected the team as well.

storophanthus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts | 16 
      Reply #73: Feb 20, 2015 06:00:11 am
      My pref would be Gerrard-> Balotelli-> Lambert ...

I hope when the next time we get a penalty, Balo, Jordan, and Stu will joke arround on the pitch before Balo take the kick :D
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #74: Feb 20, 2015 06:53:38 am
      Mario should be the penalty taker next to Gerrard.

Hendo showed again that he cannot be the team's captain when Gerrard leaves. I'd rather give the armband to Skrtel.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #75: Feb 20, 2015 07:56:34 am
      Cool as F**k penalty though:-)
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #76: Feb 20, 2015 08:15:36 am
      Listening back to the interview - Gerrard states that 'its not nice to see that' and refers to the Everton game a few weeks back...

What the hell happened at the Everton game and in the dressing room - was there another 'altercation'..? Ballo was not present, so perhaps this is something more to do with Hendo?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #77: Feb 20, 2015 08:29:34 am
      I think everyone bar people who get paid to talk about such sh*te is well and truly over it.

Bore off.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #78: Feb 20, 2015 08:34:04 am
      Not much to see here in all honesty. He scored the penalty and justified his arrogance/confidence. In fairness it's a boss man attitude that Liverpool have lacked too much in the last 5 years or so.

This for me. I can't imagine that it will have too many ripples In the dressing room.

Ps. I reckon Henderson might have missed the bloody thing! His shooting is for the most part atrocious and the one part of his game that is poor IMO
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #79: Feb 20, 2015 08:38:51 am
      Mario ballottelli penalty record 17/17
      I cannot remember Henderson ever taking one .
      Hmmmmmm who should take it if both players are on the pitch difficult one eh.:-)
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #80: Feb 20, 2015 08:44:15 am
      The best penalty takers should always take the penalties and the captain should ensure this happens.

Balotelli was the best penalty taker on the pitch last night.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #81: Feb 20, 2015 08:52:32 am
      I was dreading Hendo taking that penalty, I was made up when Balotelli got the ball off him.

That being said, Balotelli should respect the person wearing the arm band and that was Henderson. But Henderson needs to do one thinking hes gerrard, he should have been man enough to accept Balotelli is a better penalty taker than him and handed him the ball instead of sulking.

Both were in the wrong but I'd rather Balotelli take a pen than Henderson any day.

Sturridge embarrassed himself by getting involved too. It wasn't his place.  Credit to Henderson the way he went to Balotelli after he scored and his interview afterwards too.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #82: Feb 20, 2015 08:54:44 am
      Listening back to the interview - Gerrard states that 'its not nice to see that' and refers to the Everton game a few weeks back...

What the hell happened at the Everton game and in the dressing room - was there another 'altercation'..? Ballo was not present, so perhaps this is something more to do with Hendo?

:lmao:

He is on about Mirallas and Baines.  Mirallas took the ball off Baines (who usually buries a pen) and missed. Mirallas then got subbed at half time.
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #83: Feb 20, 2015 09:02:25 am
      The best penalty takers should always take the penalties and the captain should ensure this happens.

Balotelli was the best penalty taker on the pitch last night.

Completely agree baz as soon as the whistle blew I'm thinking surely this is Mario's I was surprised there was any discussion over it at all.
      For me I think Mario's penalty record speaks for itself if Hendo or Studge stepped up whilst he was on the pitch most people would be left scratching their heads.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #84: Feb 20, 2015 09:06:24 am
      2 big F**k ups. Things werent clear enought beforehand.

And Henderson should have walked away with the ball. And THEN maybe turned round and said "miss at and you're finished at this club".

Balotelli is a tw*t. Henderson lacks the spur of the moment decision making, AND that hard edge.

I actually think Balotelli is a better pen taker than Henderson by q a way too.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #85: Feb 20, 2015 09:07:36 am

Credit to Henderson the way he went to Balotelli after he scored and his interview afterwards too.

This.

Some on here are criticising Jordan's leadership qualities by allowing Balotelli take the penno calling him weak.

I disagree. We all know Mario is a bit mad. Hendo simply wanted to avoid a blow up on the pitch to save face for the club. It's not Hendo's responsibility to tame Balotelli so he falls in line. Sometimes the right thing to do in a confrontational situation is walk away for the sake of others.

It's Brendan's responsibility to ensure that the captain, whoever that may be, is respected, or suffer the consequences. Brendan should have ensured that Mario takes the pennos in Stevies absence and Hendo enforces this. After Mario it should be Stu which Hendo should also enforce. Hendo, until his penno record is at a proven rate, should be fourth choice penno taker and he should enforce this.

I think Brendan should take the most responsibility for the incident and ensure there is no repeat.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #86: Feb 20, 2015 09:17:29 am
      Balotelli finally showing his worth. Created things, worked hard, tracked back and just got fully involved.

Had a good game last night and his confidence in stepping up and demanding the ball for the penalty was spot on.

I am glad he took it.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #87: Feb 20, 2015 09:20:02 am
      Hendo showed again that he cannot be the team's captain when Gerrard leaves. I'd rather give the armband to Skrtel.

I'm sorry but then you're a moron. Really not worth even arguing the many points you're off the ball with that one. God.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Reply #88: Feb 20, 2015 09:41:30 am
      Balotelli finally showing his worth. Created things, worked hard, tracked back and just got fully involved.

Had a good game last night and his confidence in stepping up and demanding the ball for the penalty was spot on.

I am glad he took it.

This.
      All this good sh*t about it being offensive to Jordan when in all probability the lad has thought to himself 'let's get our man here on a roll' - a captain is expected to make decisions for general good of the team.
      Looks like it worked.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Reply #89: Feb 20, 2015 09:43:22 am
      I'm sorry but then you're a moron. Really not worth even arguing the many points you're off the ball with that one. God.

Moron is a complement.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #90: Feb 20, 2015 09:57:03 am

A captains armband also doubles up as a nice neckerchief. You should try it.

:P
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #91: Feb 20, 2015 09:58:06 am
      Given Jordan's demeanour and his free kick deliveries, my guess is that he was secretly quite happy to let Balotelli take the responsibility. It really was a massive moment in not just the match, but the whole season and a spot kick we simply could not afford to miss. In fairness Balotelli never even looked like he was going to miss, and the correct decision was arrived at at the end. I've a hunch Jordan's muttering to himself and looking at the bench as Mario lined it up was as much about covering his own ersehole should it be missed as it was about any "frustration".

Balotelli is a bit of a tool piece who so far has been a flop. The one thing he CAN do though is take penalties. What should come out of the whole debate is that if he is ever on the pitch and Gerrard isn't, the Italian should take the penalties. Simples.

Quick Reply