Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      77 (60.6%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      12 (9.4%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      31 (24.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (3.1%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: Mar 21, 2015 09:57:01 pm

Swansea City 0-1 Liverpool: In game and post match pleasure

Read 32065 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Swansea City 0-1 Liverpool: In game and post match pleasure
      Reply #575: Mar 16, 2015 10:44:06 pm
      Just got in from work and delighted with another win.

I thought it might have een a bit clearer than 1-0 but a win is a win and 4 points off 2nd is some going considering where we were a few months back.

Every chance we can get 2nd. City are spiraling downhill rapidly and the others around us are far from a force. Wins like this is what you look at come the end of the season with relief that you were able to take advantage whilst others weren't able to against similar stature teams.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4938 
      Reply #576: Mar 16, 2015 10:46:00 pm
      Every chance we can get 2nd. City are spiraling downhill rapidly and the others around us are far from a force. Wins like this is what you look at come the end of the season with relief that you were able to take advantage whilst others weren't able to against similar stature teams.

Yep.

Second thoughts though.

10 points off the top.

Still to play Chelsea.

Too late to have a go? ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #577: Mar 16, 2015 10:49:01 pm
      Yep.

Second thoughts though.

10 points off the top.

Still to play Chelsea.

Too late to have a go? ;D

It's a nice thought but I think that would be pushing it, Chelsea aren't looking great but I can't see them blowing the lead they have. Even if they start looking like it could happen then they will just revert back to how they played against us last season.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #578: Mar 16, 2015 10:52:53 pm
      Another 3 points in the bag. Well done lads. Grinding out that result.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #579: Mar 16, 2015 10:54:56 pm
      My Micky ratings:

Mignolet. Another excellent performance from the renaissance goalkeeper. Aside from one daft kick and one baffling roll out which put us under pressure, had a fine game and kept us in it first half. 8/10

Moreno. Another in and out performance from Alberto. Clearly there is ability in there, but he's a free kick/mistake/red card waiting to happen. Has he solved our left full back problem? Not for me no, still much improving to be done. 5/10.

Sakho. Extremely nervy opening but gradually grew into it. Defensively he is a monster, it's just when he's got the ball that it turns into a scary one. His default position when there's nothing on should be simply to hoof it, it worked for Carra well enough for fifteen years. 6/10.

Skrtel. Yet another rock solid performance from one of the best centre halves in the league. 8/10.

Can. Young players go off the boil sometimes for no apparent reason, it's currently happening to Emre. Fortunately, as he is such a talented player he still comes through a poor performance (for him) with a 6/10.

Sterling. Asked to play much of the game as right wing back (why on earth we don't play Glenn Johnson there I can't fathom) he did it but lost much of his impact. When further forward did well. 7/10

Henderson. Once again after a poor start went into his shell and got worse for the rest of the first half. Encouragingly managed to snap out of if and be better in the second, but has to learn to put any mistakes behind him quicker. Did well for the goal, albeit with a slice of luck. 7/10.

Allen. Is almost approaching once again that player who dazzled in his first three or four performances. Excellent tonight and my MOM. 8/10.

Coutinho. I love him but let's be honest he was very poor tonight. 5/10

Lallana. Was every bit as bad as Coutinho. Unfortunately though, he doesn't have anywhere near so much credit in the bank as the little Brazillian. He's a very silky and classy player is Lallana, but he is starting to get on my tits. Whether it's his blow dried hair, his poncing about or what I'm not quite sure, but he got on my f****** nerves tonight. 3/10.

Sturridge. No better than his partners up top, but I'll give him the benefit of his long absence and let him off with a 5/10.

Subs. 

Gerrard. Was instrumental along with the tactical tweaks in seeing us gain control. Probably no more than 25% the player he was at his peak, and still different class nonetheless. 7/10.

Johnson. Not on long enough to rate, but I can't understand why we don't play him right wingback. I'd have thought he was made for the slot.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,308 posts | 768 
      Reply #580: Mar 16, 2015 11:04:20 pm
      I only saw the last 20 minutes of the game, but great to have another 3 points in the bag. Look forward to Sunday and revenge against the Mancs.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #581: Mar 17, 2015 12:06:19 am
      I only saw the last 20 minutes of the game

You lucky lucky b***ard!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #582: Mar 17, 2015 12:08:13 am
      So this wouldn't be one to watch on replay? I have it recorded.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #583: Mar 17, 2015 12:11:08 am
      Mignolet my man for about the 4th or 5th game in a row. It's a shame he wasn't like this in the first half of the season or he'd be walking away with our player of the season.

I know he had a poor start, but surely he is a strong contender? Maybe I'm getting carried away. I often do after a win  ;D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #584: Mar 17, 2015 12:16:17 am
      So this wouldn't be one to watch on replay? I have it recorded.

Second half only.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #585: Mar 17, 2015 12:43:18 am
      How was the second half? My internet feed went on the blink so listened on the radio. Sounded better, but can't really judge without seeing without my own eyes.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #586: Mar 17, 2015 12:54:09 am
      Didn't play well but won something we don't usually do well done, another sign we are improving
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #587: Mar 17, 2015 12:56:51 am
      Terrible, nervy first half, much much better in the second and crucial win.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #588: Mar 17, 2015 01:53:08 am
      F***ing rat boy won't give us any credit to the detriment of the scum will he ?

About 2 mins in he makes his 1st appearance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vqoF5NG3SV4
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #589: Mar 17, 2015 03:02:54 am
      Lousy  lousy   first half but we got the 3 points and that is what we all wanted from the REDS. We have got to bring consistency into our game and play for the full 90 minutes. We could so easily have been 3 goals down at half time and that is simply not good enough.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #590: Mar 17, 2015 04:44:04 am
      A turgidly tactical performance.

The first half was an abysmal performance by the lads. For the first 20 mins I thought Henderson was playing for Swansea, he and many others could barely find a Red shirt when on the ball. Swansea, settled quicker and looked more determined, winning the 50/50s and the second balls. The only one worth his salt was our keeper. It was a half to forget.

The second half was marginally better as the lads got out of 1st gear and grinded into second and occasionally third gear. They pressed more and looked better on the ball but it still was great - credit to Swansea here for keeping their shape and us at bay. I really think things started to change after the inclusion of Gerrard. Which saw us mimic Swansea's diamond in midfield which allowed Henderson to do his harrying or pressing further up the pitch. It so happened that this switch saw Henderson bank on a through ball with a good run that saw him luckily bounce one in from his shins - Kuyt would have been proud of that.  ;D

My Player ratings:

Mignolet: 8 Our MoTM, made some great saves again this is the best part of his game and is up there with any keeper in the world. He is much more decisive on the crosses now, either he catches them more or gets a bloody good fist on them. This part of his game is MUCH improved. Still needs to work on his kicking though.

Can: 5 Looked sluggish and played on his heels again. Between this and the Blackburn game his form has dipped. But is a player I really like.

Skertel: 8 A solid display again and looked the most comfortable CB on the night, don't remember him putting a foot wrong, always seemed in the right place at the right time and did his job superbly.

Sahko: 7 Strong in the tackle and defended well. Passing, especially early on looked wayward but nowhere near as bad as those Taffy ducks made out.

Allen: 7 While he didn't do anything spectacular he helped us hold together in the first half, especially when Henderson was busy trying to help Swansea out. He literally wiped and covered Jordan's arse in the first half. Made a great challenge on Gomis (I think) when he dashed round Can and left him for dead. Allen came out from nowhere and made a brilliantly timed tackle in the box to win the ball cleanly after Gomis had a sight on goal. Typical of Allen, he kept it simple, and worked those tight areas well with possession, something Henderson's game struggled with as Swansea swarmed us in the first half.

Henderson: 6 After his first half performance things could only get better. Rodgers' switched allowed the vice captain to press higher u the pitch and he looked as though he had more purpose in him. He gambled on a run and got his just rewards for the goal. Certainly not his best performance by any stretch and will certainly need to notch it up a level or two for when the Mancs visit.

Lallana: 5 As time has gone on, I've become underwhelmed by his performances - it should be the other way round! He started on the right and made no impact there. He switched with Sterling at one point and got a shot away from there but other than that he had no impact there. Sterling looked better on the wing than he did, primarily because Sterling has the pace to get up and down the sideline and cover the ground - he also has more directness to his game. I think Lallana swapped with Moreno in the second half and again failed to make any impact wherever he was moved. He's very wimpish and lightweight and it becomes annoying to constantly see him muscled or flicked off the ball, especially when he has failed to do anything on it.

Moreno: 5 Most noteworthy of his performance was his tendancy to body check Swan players, I've noticed he does this quite often in games and he will come a cropper one day. Again, similar to Lallana made no inroads on the game itself, worked hard but there wasn't much product to show for it.

Coutinho: 6 Swansea made it difficult for him and Monk had his men close the space down. Coutinho never gave up though and always (as usual) was trying to make something happen for either himself, Sturridge or Sterling.

Sterling: 6 Like Henderson, his first 20 mins were minutes to forget. It actually looked as though the players' minds were still in the changing room at this point. And with Swansea having pretty much dominated the first half, neither Sterling, Coutinho or Sturridge really got in the game - our counter attacks were dead end opportunities. He livened up in the second half and looked as though he wanted it more - the goal changed the team and his confidence grew.

Sturridge: 6 Unlucky with his effort near the end, a nice quick change of feet saw him hit the post. He really struggled to get in the game in the first half, second half was better and got involved in the play more.
      Phect
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #591: Mar 17, 2015 07:11:34 am
      Lallana really has everything to be a top player: he's got pace, he's got flair, he can shoot, but there just seems to be something lacking... Maybe it's his decission making skills in the final third :?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #592: Mar 17, 2015 07:23:05 am
      Got to give Swansea a lot of credit, their tactics worked a great for most of the game. They were able to stifle our creative players in Coutinho and Lallana by giving them no room to operate, and attacked in numbers when the opportunity arose.
      Thankfully Brendan once again showed his tactical brain, calming things down by bringing on Gerrard to make a triangle in midfield, it worked a great, and we looked fairly comfortable thereafter.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #593: Mar 17, 2015 08:13:26 am
      It is enough said about the quality of the game when a goalkeeper is named for the man of the match.And Migs really deserved it,he saved our asses in the first half.We scpred a goal with some pure luck and didnt deserved it.Anyway i am happy that we got the three points.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #594: Mar 17, 2015 08:33:25 am
      I loved the way, this

Migs
      Can-Skrtel-Sakho
      Lallana-Hendo-Allen-Moreno
      Sterling-Coutinho
      Sturridge

changed to this, to counter their diamond

Migs
      Can-Skrtel-Sakho
      Stevie
      Hendo   Allen
      Sterling                   Lallana
      Coutinho
      Sturridge

Hats off to Brendan, for winning the tactical battle. But why he had to wait until HT was my curiosity? We could've done this after the first 25-odd mins. Nevertheless, a damn important win and sets it up nicely for the next 2 matchdays. Aside Migs and Skrtel, I thought Allen had a brilliant game overall, aside some early sloppiness. His tackles in the 1st half were right on time, and his control-play in the second was top notch.
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2015 09:56:43 am by Vicks86 »
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #595: Mar 17, 2015 09:44:19 am
      Congrats all round on a another well deserved win.  Big one next! this is where we leap into 4th, then 3rd .....
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #596: Mar 17, 2015 09:57:32 am
      Missed the game because...well, I was playing football :)

Thank f*** for the three points, sounds like it was a nervy night with a few off performances. Got the whole week to relax, regroup and just f***ing look forward to kicking the Mancs down the table where they have belonged all season. 13:30, Sunday - I've waited for it for months.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #597: Mar 17, 2015 10:06:15 am
      Awful performance but we needed the 3 points and we got them, that's the important thing. I thought Swansea set themselves up well though to be fair and we struggled to get into the game.

Joe Allen the only stand out player for me, he seems to be very comfortable playing alongside Henderson rather than Lucas or Gerrard which he often struggles.

Mignolet made some fine saves too and deserves a lot of credit. Another clean sheet for him. It wasn't long ago I was saying neither Mignolet or Allen were good enough for us and I wanted to ship them out asap. Both are playing important roles and certainly contributing to our good run at the moment though. Well done lads, keep it up.

Sturridge looks isolated in our formation and doesn't play the lone striker role very well. He often comes deep to get on the ball or drifts out wide but he is at his best when he is sitting on the last defender. He is beginning to frustrate me. Trying to be like Suarez perhaps? He needs to pack it in though, he isn't that sort of player. He is probably frustrated at the lack of service but just be patient and wait for your chance.

Our most frustrating player is Lallana though. Struggling to think of anything that he brings to our team. He moves around a lot and has a couple of nice touches here and there but he has no end product. Don't feel like he can ever get a grip of a game or go and win it for us like Coutinho can or Sterling.

Coutinho, Sterling, Hendo all average really, didn't do much right, didn't do much wrong. Back 3 were comfortable for most parts of the game again.

Quick Reply