Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      29 (40.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      11 (15.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      12 (16.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (2.8%)
      Lazar Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      2 (2.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      5 (7%)
      Raheem Sterling
      7 (9.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Apr 08, 2015 02:47:13 pm

Arsenal 4-1 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 52990 times
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Re: Arsenal 4-1 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #598: Apr 04, 2015 05:51:04 pm
      Well that was a shocking result. I missed the first half but as soon as I saw Toure at the back and Hendo at RWB it was always going to end in tears.

Our midfield in comparison to Arsenal is elite level v pub team and that was the major difference today.

Oh well we can now concentrate on winning something at least rather than the mythical Top 4 trophy.........

Trouble with that is... If we actually make it through we're more than likely going to meet arsenal again
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #599: Apr 04, 2015 05:52:07 pm
      I just want to know...

How the F**k can you spend sooo much money on players and have half of the ones you buy not playing and most of the others you bought playing out of position.
      Because there's something very wrong at LFC right now, and it involves FSG and a transfer committee. And don't anyone try telling me different. Truth is, we don't even know how good the Gaffer is, because if you believe half the stories, nobody knows who exactly is suggesting/scouting/buying these players for LFC.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #600: Apr 04, 2015 05:54:44 pm
      100% agree with everything you posted.

I'd also add that I'm starting to get mightily irritated with the Gaffer continually screwing up our midfield. Lovren at right centre back and Can in the middle with Joe Allen on the bench. Allen OR Lucas, but not both. How difficult is that to understand? And never ever play Henderson at RWB. I don't give a sh*t who he puts there, but no more Henderson. The only player with the engine and bite to stall their build up in midfield was a spare wheel on the wides for most of the match.

Moreno, Markovic and Sterling should hang their heads in shame, or more to the point, hand their boots up and be done with it all (and take Kolo with them).

Also, £100k for Sterling? My arse! If FSG do that then I lose all faith in them. Refusal to bring in genuine big hitters and yet paying out £100k a week for one of the most inept attackers I've seen in a Liverpool shirt for a long time (going by this season). It's unfathomable.

I think FSG are as bad as Gillette and Hicks; they're just a lot more sly about what they do. Or don't do.
      This should be in the knee-jerk topic
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #601: Apr 04, 2015 05:58:04 pm
      Which part?

The Gaffer continually screwing up our midfield?

Or playing Henderson at RWB?

Or Moreno, Markovic, Sterling and Kolo being utter sh*te?

Or that Sterling wants £100k a week is a joke?

Or was it that I think FSG are as bad as G&H only more sly about things? Perhaps you believe all the sh*te that FSG are our saviours and without them we'd not be here?

Because from where I'm watching, none of the above constitutes knee jerk reaction.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #602: Apr 04, 2015 05:59:36 pm
      Because there's something very wrong at LFC right now, and it involves FSG and a transfer committee. And don't anyone try telling me different. Truth is, we don't even know how good the Gaffer is, because if you believe half the stories, nobody knows who exactly is suggesting/scouting/buying these players for LFC.

Could you tell me this then, what happened between the day Brendan signed as manager and the past 1 or 2 seasons? Brendan said at the start that he wouldn't work 'with' a director of football but now he's working 'under' a whole committee. I'm baffled!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #603: Apr 04, 2015 06:01:40 pm
      Could you tell me this then, what happened between the day Brendan signed as manager and the past 1 or 2 seasons? Brendan said at the start that he wouldn't work 'with' a director of football but now he's working 'under' a whole committee. I'm baffled!
      That's the real trouble here; nobody knows what is going on, but it's obvious that someone or some people are messing up every season. And it's primarily off the field. We're just seeing the fallout on the pitch but it starts at the top.

DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #604: Apr 04, 2015 06:03:32 pm
      Which part?

The Gaffer continually screwing up our midfield?

Or playing Henderson at RWB?

Or Moreno, Markovic, Sterling and Kolo being utter sh*te?

Or that Sterling wants £100k a week is a joke?

Or was it that I think FSG are as bad as G&H only more sly about things? Perhaps you believe all the sh*te that FSG are our saviours and without them we'd not be here?

Because from where I'm watching, none of the above constitutes knee jerk reaction.
      The Gaffer continually screwing up our midfield and FSG as bad as G&H
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #605: Apr 04, 2015 06:06:04 pm
      That's the real trouble here; nobody knows what is going on, but it's obvious that someone or some people are messing up every season. And it's primarily off the field. We're just seeing the fallout on the pitch but it starts at the top.

It seems to me that the owners slowly introduced an American sports system into the club regardless, whereby a committee or a GM picks the players and the manager has to utilise whoever is available to him. From Brendan's point he's probably thought that he may not get another opportunity at a club like ours and simply stuck around to show what he can do under the constraints.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #606: Apr 04, 2015 06:09:25 pm
      The Gaffer continually screwing up our midfield and FSG as bad as G&H
      He's played Allen in our midfield every chance he's had (unless unfit). That constitutes continually screwing with the midfield in my book. Not to mention refusing to play Can there instead. Lovren has played well enough in a 3 man defence so Can could go in midfield no worries.

As for FSG, just watch this space; I don't need to say any more on that. 
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #607: Apr 04, 2015 06:12:33 pm

Not really mate, how many games this season can you look back on and say we genuinely played superb.

Even on the run we had before these two defeats we weren't exactly setting the world alight.

Wimbledon, Sunderland,Bolton, Swansea, Besiktas and Blackburn are all teams you'd expect us to win very comfortably but we scraped through a lot of them...

And had to change the set up after half time in a few of them.

Which just shows that the gaffer got his tactics wrong and also our players aren't good enough.

We regularly have about 70 mil worth of new players bench warming or out of the squad completely, Balo, Lovren, Lambert, Lallana, Markovic and Mankini.

Add to that the players we have spent money on and shipped straight out on loan like Alberto, Aspas, Origi (yes I know it's part of the deal) and Lloris (sp)

Something very wrong is going on at the club at every level and it needs to change fast.

But hey... Look on the bright side... The brand is financially strong and our over seas sponsorships are growing every year.

Its a F***ing joke at the minute (well the whole season really)
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,266 posts | 1230 
      Reply #608: Apr 04, 2015 06:18:36 pm
      I switched off after the third goal, switched back on just before we won the penalty, and f*cked it off altogether when Can got sent off.

The worrying thing is I wasn't overly surprised by the result. It felt strangely inevitable.

DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #609: Apr 04, 2015 06:20:10 pm
      He's played Allen in our midfield every chance he's had (unless unfit). That constitutes continually screwing with the midfield in my book. Not to mention refusing to play Can there instead. Lovren has played well enough in a 3 man defence so Can could go in midfield no worries.

As for FSG, just watch this space; I don't need to say any more.
      We both know how sh*te Lovren has been this season. There's no reason why he would've been better today. With Can and Sakho we've 2 footballing defenders.So the ball should usually get out of the defence without hoofing it. Today it wasn't the case because Arsenal pressed really well.
      Allen has been very good in the midfield the last 2 months, mostly as a DM but he has played as a CM  many times so playing him there today, shouldn't have been a problem at all. And of course I know it was a problem, but that was because LFC was sh*te today and Allen isn't someone like Gerrard who will take the team.
      Allen has been 1 of the best player with Coutinho, Sakho, Mignolet and Skrtel the last 2 months so putting him on the bench would be very very silly anyway

As for FSG, the last 4 seasons LFC has net spend 110,2 mil. Where with G&H with a very little budget and it was mostly selling before buying.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #610: Apr 04, 2015 06:24:10 pm
      First and foremost, regardless of the quality of the squad, the lack of effort on their part is the worst thing about it all. This is something the manager should be addressing. The players should be running through brick walls for a place in the starting 11 and then more of the same to stay there. They're certainly not doing that. Even players at lesser clubs are working harder. It's not on, and if BR can't get them to do so, then he needs to take a long, hard look at the mirror and ask himself why.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #611: Apr 04, 2015 06:25:40 pm
      We both know how sh*te Lovren has been this season. There's no reason why he would've been better today. With Can and Sakho we've 2 footballing defenders.So the ball should usually get out of the defence without hoofing it. Today it wasn't the case because Arsenal pressed really well.
      Allen has been very good in the midfield the last 2 months, mostly as a DM but he has played as a CM  many times so playing him there today, shouldn't have been a problem at all. And of course I know it was a problem, but that was because LFC was sh*te today and Allen isn't someone like Gerrard who will take the team.
      Allen has been 1 of the best player with Coutinho, Sakho, Mignolet and Skrtel the last 2 months so putting him on the bench would be very very silly anyway

As for FSG, the last 4 seasons LFC has net spend 110,2 mil. Where with G&H with a very little budget and it was mostly selling before buying.

They've probably saved more than 110mil in wages by getting rid of people 10x the men we replaced them with.

So either the manager or committee has a sh*t eye for players, both of whom were appointed by FSG.

So in reality it is them who have caused this mess directly through their structure or indirectly through their inept decision making and recruiting process.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,317 posts | 1672 
      Re: Live: Arsenal V Liverpool
      Reply #612: Apr 04, 2015 06:29:30 pm
      I think Moreno isn't by any means a defender, more like a winger, otherwise i can't explain how he can't defend at all.
      A winger goes past people and crosses the ball which he does neither of im afraid
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #613: Apr 04, 2015 06:29:52 pm
      They've probably saved more than 110mil in wages by getting rid of people 10x the men we replaced them with.

So either the manager or committee has a sh*t eye for players, both of whom were appointed by FSG.
      FSG wanted a DOF, but Rodgers wanted to have controll of the transfers. Well, he like the transfer commitee have indeed a sh*te eye for players, but of couse FSG know very little from football so they have people who advice them who to hire and not. Therefore I don't think it's fare to blame  FSG for this mess.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #614: Apr 04, 2015 06:30:19 pm

I agree that Allen has had a good last 2 months, but how many seasons has he been here now? I'd even go so far and say he's had 2 good months for every season he's been here. In other words, not nearly good enough for LFC. But even so, another issue I have with Allen is that you do not play Allen 'and' Lucas in the same midfield. That's where I say I get irritated sometimes with the Gaffer. When Lucas and Allen play in midfield at the same time, we have no creative outplay and a lack of mobility. Against teams like Arsenal (or any team) that lack of movement plus lack of creativity is going to cost you big time.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #615: Apr 04, 2015 06:33:14 pm
      First and foremost, regardless of the quality of the squad, the lack of effort on their part is the worst thing about it all. This is something the manager should be addressing. The players should be running through brick walls for a place in the starting 11 and then more of the same to stay there. They're certainly not doing that. Even players at lesser clubs are working harder. It's not on, and if BR can't get them to do so, then he needs to take a long, hard look at the mirror and ask himself why.
      Exactly. There's been a distinct lack of effort from most of the players these last 3 games or so. No excuse for that. You may not be the most talented players in the world, but you can always put a shift in. Ask Wimbledon FC.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #616: Apr 04, 2015 06:35:43 pm
      FSG wanted a DOF, but Rodgers wanted to have controll of the transfers. Well, he like the transfer commitee have indeed a sh*te eye for players, but of couse FSG know very little from football so they have people who advice them who to hire and not. Therefore I don't think it's fare to blame  FSG for this mess.
      Earlier on in their tenure, I'd have agreed with you. But they've been here long enough now to get it mostly right. Or at least not get is so badly wrong.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #617: Apr 04, 2015 06:36:13 pm
      Did not see the game, at work but seemingly the chance of a top 4 position well and truly f**ked. Question is where do we go from here ?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #618: Apr 04, 2015 06:36:42 pm

The thing is though mate, if you have spent over 100mil on new players which aren't even making the squad (which they should most definitely be aware of)

Then surely it's time to start having a look at whats going wrong.

I know if I had advisors working below me in charge of recruiting new staff for multi millions of pounds and they were nowhere to be seen I'd be asking serious questions.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #619: Apr 04, 2015 06:49:32 pm

Every single passionate big character player we had when Rodgers took charge have slowly been shunted out of the door.

Once Stevie goes we've really only got Martin with a bit of passion and fight for the club... Well I think Can will too.

I'm wondering if it is Rodgers who doesn't like strong characters who will speak up when things aren't right.

I mean look at his assistants ffs.

I think he has little man syndrome and just wants timid impressionable players who won't speak up/back to him.

And its these players who've gone that we so badly need...

Someone like Stevie to smash someone with a hard tackle and rile his team mate up.

Or a Reina shouting at people from the back.

Or a Kuyt who... No matter the result kept his head up and fought tirelessly for the team.

At the minute we have a team of pussies and a captain in Henderson who seems more content to bi*ch at the ref when we don't win a freekick than chasing the ball to win it back.

It's sad to see how weak our players are now.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #620: Apr 04, 2015 06:51:33 pm
      Earlier on in their tenure, I'd have agreed with you. But they've been here long enough now to get it mostly right. Or at least not get is so badly wrong.

Their involvement in the Club is practically zilch, so I doubt they've learnt much anyway. Plus, as I understand it, Brendan is a part of the transfer committee, he has to take his share of the blame. Brendan has always said he has final say on transfers, so is he lying?

Quick Reply