Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Is Colin Pascoe a good enough assistant or do we need a new one.

Read 32349 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Is Colin Pascoe a good enough assistant or do we need a new one.
      Reply #92: Apr 11, 2015 12:01:13 pm
      How f***in pathetic is this thread, have some on these boards really sunk so low they have to have a dig at Brendan's no2, let's set the record straight here, if Brendan believes Colin Pascoe is good enough to be his right hand man that's good enough for me and if I'm honest be good enough for all of you too,

First we had Brendan with his new choppers, new car, new bird, getting sh*t, that was low enough, but ffs now we're targeting Pascoe, who is doing what a no2 should be doing, keeping a low profile, and getting on with his tasks in hand, supporting his gaffer and being there for Brendan,

Is it really that important he has a central parting, wears shorts 24/7, hasn't had his choppers done(yet) or that ppl w*nk themselves silly over his fat hairy thighs ?
      So what next then, oh I know, let's blame the tea lady eh, if anyone's to blame it's her, quite ironic really because this thread is designed to cause a "storm in a teacup"

Stirring stuff indeed  :f_whistle:

Load of and bollox spring to mind

YNWA

So if Brendan said that you were a rose tinted fool would that be good enough for you as well? How about trying to make your own mind up? Clearly there is something very fu**ed up with the coaching at Liverpool when we have areas which never get properly addressed like for example the general inability to score a goal or keep a shot below the cross bar or our complete inability to ever score from a corner. Personally I think we need a new manager and new coaches, who all have a hell of a lot more experience and intelligence so that they can address problems, fix them and take us to the next level.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #93: Apr 11, 2015 12:04:25 pm
      Personally I think we need a new manager and new coaches, who all have a hell of a lot more experience and intelligence so that they can address problems, fix them and take us to the next level.

I commend you for this mate. As you say if anyone thinks there is a problem with our coaching then Colin is the least of our worries and as you say if you think we need changes coaching wise then you start with the manager.

I disagree by the way but welcome the honesty.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #94: Apr 12, 2015 02:29:02 pm
      So we've lost two matches and now Pascoe's getting it again.

I wish the whole 'when we lose let's start kicking someone' attitude would f**k off to where it belongs, namely another club.

A garden isn't always rosy but that doesn't mean when it isn't you start taking a sh*t all over it.

I didn't start the thread Exiled, just getting my views over, that's all. I certainly don't blame him for our results, the good ones or the bad ones as i feel he offers us nothing. P.S. sh*t is good for the garden!

If anyone is masturbating over Pascoe, they need to have a word with themselves.

I think what most are saying in here is that whatever he offers or doesn't offer probably has very little to do with the results on the pitch (like most other assistants)

As above Red. Not blaming him for results at all, i just see nothing from him at all. We need better.

Haha that fella you just quoted there is on ignore here otherwise I wouldn't have seen that post. To say that people are "masturbating over Pascoe" suggests the mental age of a child. That or a very clear agenda. Or both.

Oh look, it's B-Rod's cheerleader. The man who lauded Joe Allen. Well in Diego. B-Rod? Have a word with yourself. Mental age of a child? Yes, you are right man.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #95: Apr 12, 2015 02:31:19 pm
      So if Brendan said that you were a rose tinted fool would that be good enough for you as well? How about trying to make your own mind up? Clearly there is something very fu**ed up with the coaching at Liverpool when we have areas which never get properly addressed like for example the general inability to score a goal or keep a shot below the cross bar or our complete inability to ever score from a corner. Personally I think we need a new manager and new coaches, who all have a hell of a lot more experience and intelligence so that they can address problems, fix them and take us to the next level.

clearly ? Really ?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5011 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #96: Apr 12, 2015 02:57:29 pm

So what your saying is that our inability to score a goal or keep shots under the crossbar etc etc are the blame of Colin Pascoe, and because of that we should F**k all the coaching staff off, bring in new blood and start the process all over again, oh and I suppose the new blood will give us %100 guarantee that everything they do will work ?

My mind by the way is made up, not that I had to make any sort of decision regarding Colin Pascoe, if you feel and believe he isn't good enough for LFC then that's your entitled opinion,

In my opinion not that it matters is that if Brendan feels his right hand man is doing what is asked and doing so with the best of his abilities then who are we to argue,

There may well be issues regarding the methods used by LFC coaches but I'm sure they are professional enough to iron those issues out and perhaps alter certain methods training to suit,
      What we don't need is a complete change of management everytime things go tits up or when posters such as yourself have a knee jerk reaction when a few results don't go our way.

Have a nice day  :roll:

Ynwa
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #97: Apr 13, 2015 03:44:54 pm
      Oh look, it's B-Rod's cheerleader. The man who lauded Joe Allen. Well in Diego. B-Rod? Have a word with yourself. Mental age of a child? Yes, you are right man.

Says the guy who thought Andy Carroll "terrified the world's greatest defenders". Please.

I regret even mentioning you here. Won't happen again. You're on ignore here for a reason.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #98: Apr 13, 2015 04:27:45 pm
      I'm not bigging Faria up here at all but that psychopath you talk of rubs off on all those around him. One thing you can't accuse Chelsea of is a lack of fight. When players see backroom staff going mental like that it fires them up. Fight and desire are infectious, as a certain Mr. Suarez proved last Season and Gerrard for that matter.

I don't know what it is about Pascoe but he just doesn't fit. He is like a corpse. I'm not the only one who looks at people that arrive at the Club, players or backroom staff and thinks no, this isn't right.

I felt the same when we signed Allen, Borini, Aspas etc. There are players you just know will never make the grade here, the same goes for backroom staff.

Given your past comments the reason you don't think they "fit" is probably because they weren't born in England.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #99: Apr 13, 2015 04:55:44 pm
      Says the guy who thought Andy Carroll "terrified the world's greatest defenders". Please.

I regret even mentioning you here. Won't happen again. You're on ignore here for a reason.

I'm thinking i've been on ignore ever since i called you out when you commended Torres on leaving Liverpool in the Torres thread. Ripped you a new one and you whined like a bi*ch to the mods to try and get me banned.

Shows your MO that you use the 'terrorise' comment with regards to Carroll as if i posted it numerous times when in fact it was after the Chelsea game when Terry and Ivanovic passed him about like a hot potato. It is a fact that he was and still is a handful for any defender.

Your 'moneyball' posts and constant praise for all things Joe Allen, when all you had to arm yourself with were meaningless 'stats', indicated a desire to mask the problems that are prevalent in this Club and have been proven this Season in real life match situations.

Stats are irrelevant in the real world Diego. This isn't Football Manager 2015. Joe Allen may complete 85% of his attempted passes but of those passes, based on observation with a pair of eyes, 80% of those passes will be sideways, backward and of a distance no greater than 5 or 6 metres. Jordan Henderson may complete 65% of his attempted passes but of those passes, 60% of those passes will be sideways, backward, forward, diagonally forward and of distances greater than 15 metres, with the occasional assist thrown in.

This is where 'stats' fall flat on their arse. Stats will indicate Allen has the better percentages but it doesn't indicate the ineffectiveness of those passes.

Other 'facets' that 'stats' conveniently mask are the core requirements of professional footballers. Ability plays a small part in a players make up, desire, hunger, determination, passion, integrity and pride are just a few of the many traits in their arsenal.

It's why some players go hard into tackles and why some players sh*t out of tackles. It's why some players chase a back pass down and why some players don't bother. It's why some players track their opponents back and why other players pass them on to others.

I watched a programme on Tony Adams the other night and they were interviewing Lee Dixon and Ray Parlour. They both said that when they weren't doing their job properly they would get an absolute beasting from Adams. The reason being that Adams would tell them that if they weren't doing their job properly then the rest of the team couldn't do their job properly and he was right.

Stats are just a minute detail in any formation of an analytical opinion. Stats don't show how many tackles a player ran away from, stats don't show the times a player doesn't bother to track back, stats don't show a lot of important things.

It's the reason City are in such a state. They have all the talent in the world and statistically they have the best Squad in the League. What the stats don't show is the fact that Toure, Silva and Navas are luxury players that are great when they have the ball at their feet but when it comes down to the crunch they can't be fu**ed to put the hard yards in when it counts. It's why United destroyed City yesterday, time and time again the City defence was continually distorted as they tried to plug the holes that were being created due to Toure, Navas and Silva not tracking back.

Statistically at Anfield we were nailed on to beat United but when it came down to the hard stuff we didn't show up, the same at the Emirates. That first half showing against United was pitiful, a game against our most hated rivals and we played like it was a friendly. I accept that Gerrard was at fault for stamping on Herrera but i can also empathise with him as he spent 45 minutes on the bench watching such a limp midfield pansy around like fruits. Now if we had put those hard yards in during the first half then Gerrard may not have come on so early in the game. These are all examples of where stats bear no relevance to live in game situations.

In the real world with a pair of eyes as the judge, Henderson clearly brings more to the table than Joe Allen, but statistically the figures will say Joe is the better player.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #100: Apr 13, 2015 05:12:43 pm
      Given your past comments the reason you don't think they "fit" is probably because they weren't born in England.

For your information HB, i am Welsh and want nothing more than to see Joe Allen succeed. We are a very proud nation regardless of how small we are. Joe Allen doesn't just represent Liverpool he represents us as well, the Welsh people. It hurts to see him perform so poorly as not only is he letting himself down, he is letting those around him down too.

Joe is married to my mates niece and everyone where i live wants to see Joe become a great player, that is all people, not just football supporters, the community as a whole. We are proud of him but he is letting himself down. I don't know what it is but something is not right. He has lost that confidence he had when arriving and whether that be through his injuries or something else, he needs to snap out of it.

I don't know where you get the idea that i think they 'don't fit' because of where they are born from? Some of my favourite players of the last decade or so have been Arbeloa, Torres, Mascherano, Riise, Hyypia, Hamann, Suarez to name but a few. None of whom are British.

Players that don't fit in are players that are just not good enough in my opinion. It has nothing to do with where they are born.

Borini knows he isn't wanted here yet he turned down a chance to move as he'd have lost money or just thought he wouldn't go to a Club bigger than us ever again.

Does that mean i have to laud him?

Aspas was not suited to the Premier League, too puny.

Does that mean i have to laud him?

Both Aspas and Borini were given chances and they didn't deliver, had they delivered they would be first team regulars or at least ever present match day Squad members.

Unfortunately for us they are not.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #101: Apr 13, 2015 05:26:43 pm
      I didn't start the thread Exiled, just getting my views over, that's all. I certainly don't blame him for our results, the good ones or the bad ones as i feel he offers us nothing. P.S. sh*t is good for the garden!

It wasn't aimed at you mate, I only read the OP and posted on that without being arsed to read anything else. As for Pascoe, I have no idea what he offers as I don't work with him on a daily basis, the fella may just give a good ham shank in the changies.  :confused-smiley-013:

As for garden sh*t, not mine it ain't. ;)

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #102: Apr 13, 2015 05:47:04 pm
      I'm thinking i've been on ignore ever since i called you out when you commended Torres on leaving Liverpool in the Torres thread. Ripped you a new one and you whined like a bi*ch to the mods to try and get me banned.

Shows your MO that you use the 'terrorise' comment with regards to Carroll as if i posted it numerous times when in fact it was after the Chelsea game when Terry and Ivanovic passed him about like a hot potato. It is a fact that he was and still is a handful for any defender.

Your 'moneyball' posts and constant praise for all things Joe Allen, when all you had to arm yourself with were meaningless 'stats', indicated a desire to mask the problems that are prevalent in this Club and have been proven this Season in real life match situations.

Stats are irrelevant in the real world Diego. This isn't Football Manager 2015. Joe Allen may complete 85% of his attempted passes but of those passes, based on observation with a pair of eyes, 80% of those passes will be sideways, backward and of a distance no greater than 5 or 6 metres. Jordan Henderson may complete 65% of his attempted passes but of those passes, 60% of those passes will be sideways, backward, forward, diagonally forward and of distances greater than 15 metres, with the occasional assist thrown in.

This is where 'stats' fall flat on their arse. Stats will indicate Allen has the better percentages but it doesn't indicate the ineffectiveness of those passes.

Other 'facets' that 'stats' conveniently mask are the core requirements of professional footballers. Ability plays a small part in a players make up, desire, hunger, determination, passion, integrity and pride are just a few of the many traits in their arsenal.

It's why some players go hard into tackles and why some players sh*t out of tackles. It's why some players chase a back pass down and why some players don't bother. It's why some players track their opponents back and why other players pass them on to others.

I watched a programme on Tony Adams the other night and they were interviewing Lee Dixon and Ray Parlour. They both said that when they weren't doing their job properly they would get an absolute beasting from Adams. The reason being that Adams would tell them that if they weren't doing their job properly then the rest of the team couldn't do their job properly and he was right.

Stats are just a minute detail in any formation of an analytical opinion. Stats don't show how many tackles a player ran away from, stats don't show the times a player doesn't bother to track back, stats don't show a lot of important things.

It's the reason City are in such a state. They have all the talent in the world and statistically they have the best Squad in the League. What the stats don't show is the fact that Toure, Silva and Navas are luxury players that are great when they have the ball at their feet but when it comes down to the crunch they can't be fu**ed to put the hard yards in when it counts. It's why United destroyed City yesterday, time and time again the City defence was continually distorted as they tried to plug the holes that were being created due to Toure, Navas and Silva not tracking back.

Statistically at Anfield we were nailed on to beat United but when it came down to the hard stuff we didn't show up, the same at the Emirates. That first half showing against United was pitiful, a game against our most hated rivals and we played like it was a friendly. I accept that Gerrard was at fault for stamping on Herrera but i can also empathise with him as he spent 45 minutes on the bench watching such a limp midfield pansy around like fruits. Now if we had put those hard yards in during the first half then Gerrard may not have come on so early in the game. These are all examples of where stats bear no relevance to live in game situations.

In the real world with a pair of eyes as the judge, Henderson clearly brings more to the table than Joe Allen, but statistically the figures will say Joe is the better player.

Your views on statistics actually show how ignorant you are - but I never expected any different. Those who advocate the use of statistics are not saying every number matters; % of passes completed may indicate a number of things but will never be a definitive account of how good a player is, nor have I ever defended a player based purely on this kind of stats. Even more so, anyone with at least a small understanding of applied statistics knows that it is not a definitive method of judging players and teams; it is true for baseball, a much more static game where the numbers capture a far greater portion of the action, and even more so for football. To entirely dismiss its possible usefulness, however, is just silly; but I wouldn't think you know much about data analytics.

As for "constant praise for all things Joe Allen", in what world has that happened exactly? I've defended Allen many times from unfair criticism, yes, and I certainly was wrong to think he would have had a far greater impact back when we signed him. But I've also said a number of times that he's proved to be a squad player at best. And I never even used any kind of advanced statistic to defend Allen, so your whole point about his failure at LFC "proving" something is entirely misguided not to say blatantly stupid.

By the way, the season before we signed Allen, I defended another player called Charlie Adam a number of times from criticism which he received due to having a % of completed passes deemed by the vast majority to be not high enough. While it was partly true and Adam was a player with many deficiencies, I argued in his favor many times. But you were probably under your rock back then, only reading whatever bullshit that suits your agenda. 

And please, don't delude yourself that you're on ignore because you "called me out" in some Torres argument I don't even remember - that only goes on to show how childish you are, keeping score on an internet forum. You're on ignore here ever since you proved to be a racist.

I'll gladly continue to ignore you, if only you stop quoting me again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #103: Apr 13, 2015 05:58:35 pm
      I see there is still plenty of posts in here yet still nothing concrete on how sh*te Colin Pascoe is.

Maybe without any proof or way of quantifying how good he is at his job we can all agree that while Brendan is the boss Colin is doing exactly as the manager wants.

If people think that isn't good enough then maybe we'll see a bit more in the Brendan Rodgers thread about how he isn't good enough?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #104: Apr 13, 2015 06:00:02 pm
      Maybe without any proof or way of quantifying how good he is at his job we can all agree that while Brendan is the boss Colin is doing exactly as the manager wants.

That's the crux of the debate though Si, what he wants and what he needs may be completely different, I don't believe he needs a yes man.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #105: Apr 13, 2015 06:08:56 pm
      That's the crux of the debate though Si, what he wants and what he needs may be completely different, I don't believe he needs a yes man.

Maybe then you think he should be shown the door Luke?

Like you I've had doubts and criticisms where the boss is concerned but I'm at ease with him right now and therefore don't see a problem with him having his team in place. Yes men or otherwise as I don't think it makes much difference.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #106: Apr 13, 2015 06:27:37 pm
      Maybe then you think he should be shown the door Luke?

Like you I've had doubts and criticisms where the boss is concerned but I'm at ease with him right now and therefore don't see a problem with him having his team in place. Yes men or otherwise as I don't think it makes much difference.

I actually think it makes a massive difference mate. I think if Brendan was challenged more in his thinking it would provoke more proactive responses rather than reactive which we've seen.

How many times have we changed before a loss, or a system before it's broken?

This is something I believe an assistant manager can bring to the table and because it isn't currently being done I feel there is a failing there somewhere.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #107: Apr 13, 2015 06:34:12 pm
      I actually think it makes a massive difference mate. I think if Brendan was challenged more in his thinking it would provoke more proactive responses rather than reactive which we've seen.

How many times have we changed before a loss, or a system before it's broken?

This is something I believe an assistant manager can bring to the table and because it isn't currently being done I feel there is a failing there somewhere.

But if the manager needed challenging so often maybe he isn't the right guy?

I prefer a manager who stands by his decisions and I'm one who never looked to much into Rafa's number 2, Kenny's number 2, Houllier's number 2 etc etc.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #108: Apr 13, 2015 06:49:58 pm
      But if the manager needed challenging so often maybe he isn't the right guy?

I prefer a manager who stands by his decisions and I'm one who never looked to much into Rafa's number 2, Kenny's number 2, Houllier's number 2 etc etc.

As far as number 2's go, Rafa was never the same after Pako left.

I know it means little, but the point is a good number 2 can be hugely influential on the manager.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #109: Apr 13, 2015 06:56:50 pm
      As far as number 2's go, Rafa was never the same after Pako left.

I know it means little, but the point is a good number 2 can be hugely influential on the manager.

But if only the manager wants him to be and allows him to be Swab.

I'm not sure Brendan does and for me then its a matter if you're happy with that situation or maybe think there needs to be a bigger change.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #110: Apr 13, 2015 07:13:51 pm
      But if only the manager wants him to be and allows him to be Swab.

I'm not sure Brendan does and for me then its a matter if you're happy with that situation or maybe think there needs to be a bigger change.

Seems to me Si you're being very subjective with other people's opinion mate. No I don't think Brendan needs changing because I've seen his approach but I do think he needs challenging to adapt/learn quicker when things begin to fail in terms of formation/system.

A person who could do that is a strong assistant manager who is willing to question a decision/formation/tactic but I do not believe Pascoe is that man, again from the instigation of conversation in the matches it's never Colin starting them, as in "I have an idea Brendan", no he's just there for confirmation of Brendan's ideas, basically worthless imho.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #111: Apr 13, 2015 07:26:20 pm
      So what evidence is there to show whether he does or doesn't challenge Brendan? 

We only see them working together during a game, none of us know what's said or what happens behind closed doors. 

It seems to me that people are questioning Pascoe as a backhanded way of criticising the Boss.  Nobody's asking questions of Mike Marsh maybe because he's one of us and was already a Coach at the Club.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #112: Apr 13, 2015 07:27:53 pm

We only see them working together during a game, none of us know what's said or what happens behind closed doors.

We only judge the players on what they do at the game too Debs, we can only go on the evidence we have at hand, again why imply that means people want Brendan gone, it has no implication towards that at all.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #113: Apr 13, 2015 07:37:04 pm

It seems to me that people are questioning Pascoe as a backhanded way of criticising the Boss.  Nobody's asking questions of Mike Marsh maybe because he's one of us and was already a Coach at the Club.

Agree.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #114: Apr 13, 2015 07:37:47 pm
      We only judge the players on what they do at the game too Debs, we can only go on the evidence we have at hand, again why imply that means people want Brendan gone, it has no implication towards that at all.

Because people are being critical of something they have no knowledge of mate. 

This place used to be fun, somewhere to have a laugh and a joke about all sorts of things now it's just one big bitchfest.

Quick Reply