Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Memphis Depay (PSV --> Manchester United)

Read 34118 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Memphis Depay (PSV)
      Reply #230: May 07, 2015 08:20:09 pm
      Never really thought we were seriously in for him, but still a little disappointed.
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #231: May 07, 2015 08:32:55 pm
      When we lost to utd at Anfield it put us out of the top 4 picture. We've got a sniff of a chance now because utd have lost 3 in a row but the damage has been done.

When players look at the table they see us 5th and them 4th.

Losing that game was season over for me, but that was just the start of it. We'll feel the repercussions for that loss all next season too I fear.

Sure Van Gaal being at utd sweetened the deal, but end of the day, them in a champions league postion sweetened the deal so much more.

We are paying for standing still last summer ... whilst teams that finished below us bought costa/fabregas etc.

This summer we are in no position to 'attract top shelf' players and i think that suits the owners. Brendan talks 'quality over quantity' this summer ... he should have demanded that last summer.

The mentality of this club is that it is happy with 4th place. That is why our best players leave and that is why top players will not join us. We will not compete for the best, pay for the best in order to be the best.

The most spoken words by players and fans these days and has been for years is 'that 4th spot' .

Id rather ship the dross out this summer ... at least a dozen of them and if we cannot sign a top player then look to youth already at the club.

Players of the quality of johnson moreno allen borini balotelli lambert markovic aspas alberto jones lovren etc are nowhere near the standard required.

For the last 25 years bar the odd success under rafa In the market its been rinse and repeat .. one load of dross out and new dross in.

No ambition and awful scouting. Plenty of talk and not alot of walk. We talk a great game ... but always go missing when the supposed 'big boys' come in. Cant see this summer being different. Last summer was our chance ... we bought average and quantity instead of top drawer top wedge quality, like we have done for 20 plus years now.. and we will pay for that for along time.

Depay is just the start ... roll on the excuses ... il get things going ' it was just that van gaal is his mate' thats what swung it !!!  :mad:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,014 posts | 3953 
      Reply #232: May 07, 2015 08:34:49 pm
      Ha we are in a shambles of a state at the moment. Already being beaten to targets. Every other club that want to win things just pay the money and get the deals wrapped up, so why are we so intent on dragging it out and making it look like some huge achievement when we actually manage to sign a player?!

Early indication of what the next transfer window will bring.

Was never in doubt mate.
      The club's beating us to targets are our rivals.
      The manager is expected to challenge the club's who have collared all the potential and expensive signings and is also expected to take all the flak for the expected hammerings.

Who sorts this sh*t?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #233: May 07, 2015 08:51:22 pm
      We're being beaten to some of our targets, probably because we were never really in for them! Why do people think.we take so long to land our targets? It's basically always leaked which players we are in for, we then spend and age negotiating, allowing a rival to gazump us, then we get the old "we tried" excuse! Same sh*t, different season!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #234: May 07, 2015 09:10:23 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #235: May 07, 2015 09:30:35 pm

Not sute what you mean mate. I don't know what the baggage is just that he has it.

Hence the question.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #236: May 07, 2015 09:31:03 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #237: May 07, 2015 09:31:06 pm
      Ha we are in a shambles of a state at the moment. Already being beaten to targets. Every other club that want to win things just pay the money and get the deals wrapped up, so why are we so intent on dragging it out and making it look like some huge achievement when we actually manage to sign a player?!

Early indication of what the next transfer window will bring.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11ss6_bananarama-cruel-summer_music
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #238: May 07, 2015 09:34:55 pm
      Just heard about Depay a while ago. Not surprised.
      We continue to miss out on signing guys like this, and make excuses for it, we'll continue to fall behind the teams beating us to them... no matter who the manager is...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #239: May 07, 2015 09:35:10 pm
      We are paying for standing still last summer ... whilst teams that finished below us bought costa/fabregas etc.

This summer we are in no position to 'attract top shelf' players and i think that suits the owners. Brendan talks 'quality over quantity' this summer ... he should have demanded that last summer.

The mentality of this club is that it is happy with 4th place. That is why our best players leave and that is why top players will not join us. We will not compete for the best, pay for the best in order to be the best.

The most spoken words by players and fans these days and has been for years is 'that 4th spot' .

Id rather ship the dross out this summer ... at least a dozen of them and if we cannot sign a top player then look to youth already at the club.

Players of the quality of johnson moreno allen borini balotelli lambert markovic aspas alberto jones lovren etc are nowhere near the standard required.

For the last 25 years bar the odd success under rafa In the market its been rinse and repeat .. one load of dross out and new dross in.

No ambition and awful scouting. Plenty of talk and not alot of walk. We talk a great game ... but always go missing when the supposed 'big boys' come in. Cant see this summer being different. Last summer was our chance ... we bought average and quantity instead of top drawer top wedge quality, like we have done for 20 plus years now.. and we will pay for that for along time.

Depay is just the start ... roll on the excuses ... il get things going ' it was just that van gaal is his mate' thats what swung it !!!  :mad:

Until the people at the top of the tree at this club put it all out on the line and show some real intent. REAL intent, then we are always going to be part of the player journey rather than the destination.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #240: May 07, 2015 09:43:49 pm
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #241: May 07, 2015 09:56:08 pm
      Perfectly good question 5times and one I don't have the answer to obviously.

As for the snide remark it was more out of frustration as LvG's connection with this lad is obviously a good bargaining chip and has plenty of influence, what has Brendan's influence brought us Borini and Alllen?

You have to put the Borini signing in context of when he joined. We'd only just survived administration and where just getting on our feet again. Allen is a good but limited player who does the job asked of him but no more. You could spin the question around and ask what LvG's influence has brought United? Falcao and Di Maria, two of the most expensive flops in Premier League history. Regardless, the way we conduct our business is clearly inferior to Spurs, United, Arsenal, Chelsea and City. They all get their business done quickly and quietly, we simply faff around for months on end, leaking stuff to journalists only to end up looking like knobheads.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #242: May 07, 2015 09:59:30 pm

I don't even think we had a chance.

I suspect Ayre sent PSV a text, PSV blocked him and never replied. So the daft sod believed, as they never said no, we were still in "negotiations".
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #243: May 07, 2015 10:30:55 pm
      I don't even think we had a chance.

I suspect Ayre sent PSV a text, PSV blocked him and never replied. So the daft sod believed, as they never said no, we were still in "negotiations".

Ayre probably thinks negotiations are still ongoing.

While FSG are satisfied that they have shown us they are 'trying' to sign top players.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #244: May 07, 2015 10:32:25 pm
      You have to put the Borini signing in context of when he joined. We'd only just survived administration and where just getting on our feet again. Allen is a good but limited player who does the job asked of him but no more. You could spin the question around and ask what LvG's influence has brought United? Falcao and Di Maria, two of the most expensive flops in Premier League history. Regardless, the way we conduct our business is clearly inferior to Spurs, United, Arsenal, Chelsea and City. They all get their business done quickly and quietly, we simply faff around for months on end, leaking stuff to journalists only to end up looking like knobheads.

Context of when he joined was that he had free reign to pick players he wanted and he chose Borini and Allen, two whom he had influence over too. Granted LvG may have brought in Falcao and Di Maria, now also Depay with his influence but I honestly don't care about that club I do care about ours and it was simply weighting our manager's influence, which so far has brought us very little in the transfer market.

While you may say this is a snide dig, another chance to have a pop at the manager etc etc it's basically me chalking another reason to bring Klopp in over keeping Brendan.

I'd love someone who had the influence to bring in a Reus etc.

FWIW I completely agree with your post though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #245: May 07, 2015 11:06:48 pm
      Context of when he joined was that he had free reign to pick players he wanted and he chose Borini and Allen, two whom he had influence over too. Granted LvG may have brought in Falcao and Di Maria, now also Depay with his influence but I honestly don't care about that club I do care about ours and it was simply weighting our manager's influence, which so far has brought us very little in the transfer market.

While you may say this is a snide dig, another chance to have a pop at the manager etc etc it's basically me chalking another reason to bring Klopp in over keeping Brendan.

I'd love someone who had the influence to bring in a Reus etc.

FWIW I completely agree with your post though.

While I agree with most of what you post here Luke I think it was obvious that Brendan would want to bring in at least one or two players who he had worked with before and felt comfortable with who he maybe thought would hit the ground running.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #246: May 07, 2015 11:17:41 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #247: May 07, 2015 11:37:36 pm

Too busy playing Snake instead of working on deals.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #248: May 08, 2015 12:47:24 am
      Was never coming here so I am not too dissapointed never felt that he would end up here. Too many obvious and prevailing factors that in his mind would make the decision to go there a no brainer. Add to that if we did hold talks with him we would have low balled him on wages big time. The wages was the only thing that would have given us a glimmer of hope but knowing how we operate and the incompetence of the man negotiating on our behalf it really was never going to happen.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #249: May 08, 2015 01:15:04 am
      Why isn't Ayre fu**ed off from the footie side of it altogether?

And, I thought 'heads were gonna roll' because we didn't get in the right signings, last summer - or something to that effect.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #250: May 08, 2015 01:43:22 am
      Before he signs for United - "He's off to United".

After he signs for United - "F**k sake we are pathetic!"
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,800 posts | 6747 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #251: May 08, 2015 08:11:09 am

Liverpool currently saving other PL clubs a fortune on scouts.
      Watch Liverpool.
      Sign their targets.
      Leave Liverpool with the sh*te.
      Repeat

Sums it up perfectly mate.

We should get the T-Shirt...it's going to be a long off season.   :f_wah:

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,014 posts | 3953 
      Reply #252: May 08, 2015 08:36:29 am
      Why isn't Ayre fu**ed off from the footie side of it altogether?

And, I thought 'heads were gonna roll' because we didn't get in the right signings, last summer - or something to that effect.

Ayre is in the footie side of it as the FSG F**k things up component; it isn't in his job description of course but his effort cannot be faulted - which is why he is still in situ after all the predictable F**k ups.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2015 08:49:26 am by stuey »

Quick Reply