Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Memphis Depay (PSV --> Manchester United)

Read 34560 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Memphis Depay (PSV)
      Reply #207: May 07, 2015 04:03:51 pm
      Sucks to have missed out on a player of Depay's ability

The phrase 'missed out' suggests Liverpool made any reasonable effort to sign him.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #208: May 07, 2015 04:05:48 pm
      The only way our transfer policy will ever work (win us a damn league title) is if we are signing the top level young players with potential like Depay. The fact that we have missed out on him shits all over everything FSG have said about our approach and how we can compete with any club in the world.

F***ing sh*te.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 977 
      Reply #209: May 07, 2015 04:18:08 pm
      Almost giving up hope to be honest.

You know, it wouldn't be so bad if one or two of our signings actually did turn out to be special! Maybe next season right? Well, dejavu it is then

Far from it. I honestly don't think Depay is the best attacking midfielder / wide forward available this summer. I'd personally rather have Fekir or Dybala over him. I like Memphis, but he wanted to go to United.... His loss. We move on.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #210: May 07, 2015 04:27:23 pm
      Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ96  16m16 minutes ago
      Liverpool have been watching & talking to Depay & his reps for the last 18 months. United make a move yesterday & he's theres. Joke. #lfc

Shamway is a good name for them to be honest.

FSG Dictionary:

Compete: To spend 18 months scouting a player, talking to reps, negotiating a price, procrastinating until someone who actually does want to buy a player comes along and beats you to their signature.

Brendan:

“I always feel that if I can get in front of the player, I can sell the club and what our project is here." not going so well on that front eh Brendan?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #211: May 07, 2015 04:39:18 pm

Brendan:

“I always feel that if I can get in front of the player, I can sell the club and what our project is here." not going so well on that front eh Brendan?

If being the key word there Luke

He isn't the one getting to sit down with them.. A certain Mr Ayre does that role
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 977 
      Reply #212: May 07, 2015 04:41:15 pm

I'm not suggesting the owners don't have anything to be criticized for, but it isn't their fault that Brendan spent basically all of the Suarez money on Lallana, Lovren, and Lambert. These 3 were quite clearly players BR had identified as prime targets, and we got them all even though we had to overpay for 2 of them. The owners did what they are supposed to do - they signed the checks so BR was able to get the players he wanted. It's not their fault that none of them justified the money spent on them.....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,449 posts | 6433 
      Reply #213: May 07, 2015 04:46:56 pm
      I'm not suggesting the owners don't have anything to be criticized for, but it isn't their fault that Brendan spent basically all of the Suarez money on Lallana, Lovren, and Lambert. These 3 were quite clearly players BR had identified as prime targets, and we got them all even though we had to overpay for 2 of them. The owners did what they are supposed to do - they signed the checks so BR was able to get the players he wanted. It's not their fault that none of them justified the money spent on them.....

Why was it the Suarez money that was spent on those three?

Suarez was still here when Lambert was purchased so none of the Suarez money went towards his purchase. And I'd be willing to bet Lovren and Lallana were already on their way as well.

So no, in my eyes it's not Brendan's fault that he got the targets he wanted BEFORE he had to deal with a striker crisis. One that should have been partially addressed by getting Sanchez (or another like styled/skilled target).

Instead, for whatever reason you choose to believe (London over Liverpool, more wages over less wages, Wenger over Rodgers) Sanchez didn't come and we did nothing to address the issue after that.

In my mind, once Sanchez was gone, the committee got tired of trying and just threw their hands up and told Rodgers it was Balotelli or nothing.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,449 posts | 6433 
      Reply #214: May 07, 2015 04:49:51 pm
      Liverpool have been watching & talking to Depay & his reps for the last 18 months. United make a move yesterday & he's theres. Joke. #lfc

FSG Dictionary:

Compete: To spend 18 months scouting a player, talking to reps, negotiating a price, procrastinating until someone who actually does want to buy a player comes along and beats you to their signature.

Brendan:

Let's be honest, if you were a target and you read a few paper articles about what's going on at the club, would you want to get embroiled in this mess?

Rodgers under pressure, Gerrard leaving, Sterling throwing his toys out of the pram, Sturridge can't stay fit, etc.....

I'm sorry but we need to get our house in order and quick so that we can get down to the business of moving forward. We need to show intent. I think FSG need to come out and either back the boss or send him packing soon so that potential targets know what they are dealing with. Then we need to go out and QUIETLY as possible get pen to paper from one of our big targets to show people we mean business.
      Bier
      Reply #215: May 07, 2015 04:55:42 pm

This only emphasises the difference in relationship that Van Gaal has with the people involved compared to us. Van Gaal already had a very good personal relationship with Depay, PSV's manager Cocu and PSV's technical director Brands. He didn't have to do any extra watching or talking, and there was already alot of trust and goodwill there. And although United only officially made a move now, Van Gaal has been interested in him for a while already, but advised Depay last summer to stay another year with PSV. I don't think it was a situation we could've won.
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 977 
      Reply #216: May 07, 2015 05:00:52 pm
      Why was it the Suarez money that was spent on those three?

Suarez was still here when Lambert was purchased so none of the Suarez money went towards his purchase. And I'd be willing to bet Lovren and Lallana were already on their way as well.

So no, in my eyes it's not Brendan's fault that he got the targets he wanted BEFORE he had to deal with a striker crisis. One that should have been partially addressed by getting Sanchez (or another like styled/skilled target).

Instead, for whatever reason you choose to believe (London over Liverpool, more wages over less wages, Wenger over Rodgers) Sanchez didn't come and we did nothing to address the issue after that.

In my mind, once Sanchez was gone, the committee got tired of trying and just threw their hands up and told Rodgers it was Balotelli or nothing.

No, I've said before that I wish we would have offered higher wages to land Sanchez. However, I do understand why the hierarchy at the club we're hesitant to do so. Having to pay players like Joe Cole and Aquilani just to F**k off has clearly left then in the "once bitten twice shy" mentality. They take a conservative approach to players wages to try to reduce risk. It's a smart way to run a business and I don't blame them for doing this. If I owned a company I'd try to run it in the smartest and most efficient way possible.

It sucks we missed out on Sanchez, but I don't blame the current owners for the position we find ourselves in....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,381 posts | 4979 
      Reply #217: May 07, 2015 05:09:24 pm
      They take a conservative approach to players wages to try to reduce risk. It's a smart way to run a business and I don't blame them for doing this. If I owned a company I'd try to run it in the smartest and most efficient way possible.

Is it smart though Harry?

Is it good business to spend money on countless players that aren't up to scratch just because were afraid of getting bitten by another Aquilani?

Surely the bigger player with the bigger fee and wages is more likely to command a bigger fee if it doesn't work out and also they command those bigger wages because they are more often than not worth it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #218: May 07, 2015 05:16:48 pm
      This only emphasises the difference in relationship that Van Gaal has with the people involved compared to us. Van Gaal already had a very good personal relationship with Depay, PSV's manager Cocu and PSV's technical director Brands. He didn't have to do any extra watching or talking, and there was already alot of trust and goodwill there. And although United only officially made a move now, Van Gaal has been interested in him for a while already, but advised Depay last summer to stay another year with PSV. I don't think it was a situation we could've won.

I agree Bier so we spent 18 months on a target we could never actually compete for, so essentially that's not competing it serves another purpose, that purpose being to give off the impression we were competing for him.

PR bullshit, from top to bottom.

Go out of the cup, get a contract sorted etc etc, it's so blatant.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,381 posts | 4979 
      Reply #219: May 07, 2015 05:32:28 pm
      My 5 year old nephew could have told you that mate.

We won't buy this kid in the summer unless FSG suddenly change their attitude simply because we won't be the only club after him and whoever it is will offer a better package than we will.

We don't compete.

My first post in this thread.

Well first meaningful one after I stopped pissing about. ;D

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #220: May 07, 2015 05:57:51 pm

FSG Dictionary:

Brendan:

Forgetting the snide remark at the end (negotiations have nothing to do with any managers and they know it), there's a bigger question to be asked. Why, when this kid is for all appearances, significantly better but within the same price range, did we end up signing Markovic? When we needed to replace Suarez and wanted goals throughout the team, did we spend £20 mill on a player with a goal ratio of 1:6 as opposed to one with a ratio of 1:2.5?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #221: May 07, 2015 06:54:22 pm
      I guess there is no point in keeping this open.

Window not even open and one of our main targets has gone.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #222: May 07, 2015 07:12:54 pm
      When we lost to utd at Anfield it put us out of the top 4 picture. We've got a sniff of a chance now because utd have lost 3 in a row but the damage has been done.

When players look at the table they see us 5th and them 4th.

Losing that game was season over for me, but that was just the start of it. We'll feel the repercussions for that loss all next season too I fear.

Sure Van Gaal being at utd sweetened the deal, but end of the day, them in a champions league postion sweetened the deal so much more.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #223: May 07, 2015 07:29:20 pm
      Shock horror , we didn't get him . well that's one for the books eh .
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #224: May 07, 2015 07:30:06 pm
      Forgetting the snide remark at the end (negotiations have nothing to do with any managers and they know it), there's a bigger question to be asked. Why, when this kid is for all appearances, significantly better but within the same price range, did we end up signing Markovic? When we needed to replace Suarez and wanted goals throughout the team, did we spend £20 mill on a player with a goal ratio of 1:6 as opposed to one with a ratio of 1:2.5?

Because the transfer committee is a F***ing joke!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #225: May 07, 2015 07:32:36 pm

Perfectly good question 5times and one I don't have the answer to obviously.

As for the snide remark it was more out of frustration as LvG's connection with this lad is obviously a good bargaining chip and has plenty of influence, what has Brendan's influence brought us Borini and Alllen?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #226: May 07, 2015 07:43:46 pm
      Ha we are in a shambles of a state at the moment. Already being beaten to targets. Every other club that want to win things just pay the money and get the deals wrapped up, so why are we so intent on dragging it out and making it look like some huge achievement when we actually manage to sign a player?!

Early indication of what the next transfer window will bring.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #227: May 07, 2015 07:47:58 pm
      FSG. Bringing back the glory days...
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."