Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your thoughts on Brendan Rodgers (Poll: 28th April 2015)

He should stay as LFC manager
      69 (40.6%)
      He should be sacked
      26 (15.3%)
      He should be sacked ONLY if we can get Jürgen Klopp/Frank de Boer
      47 (27.6%)
      I'm sitting on the fence
      28 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Voting closed: May 02, 2015 11:31:41 pm

Stick or Twist: Part 2

Read 18328 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Re: Stick or Twist: Part 2
      Reply #23: Apr 23, 2015 09:29:23 pm

Any new manager (no matter who it is) would struggle to bring instant success under our circumstances.

As long as the new manager (no matter who it is) gets 4th that would be classed as instant success considering how the previous 3 managers struggled,I keep reading.

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2015 10:21:55 pm by Shabs »
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #24: Apr 23, 2015 10:09:27 pm
      My feeling is that we have been set up as the 5th team of the PL. The owners are happy/delighted with that.
      And they will have no inclination to change that. So they won't show much urge to change the manager, unless the fans get vocal. As they did with Woyston.

But the counter issue is that Kenny did better than Rodgers, so why the F**k boot one, and keep the other?
      Its just business, the football isn't even an issue for this lot.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #25: Apr 23, 2015 10:58:51 pm
      Personally I think one more season at least for Brendan, but the thought of Klopp and the chance of tapping into the German talent pool is hard to ignore.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #26: Apr 23, 2015 11:48:41 pm
      If Colin Pascoe can improve on his nodding, we'll be 'right.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #27: Apr 24, 2015 12:02:32 am
      If Colin Pascoe can improve on his nodding, we'll be 'right.

Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #28: Apr 24, 2015 12:57:25 am
      If Rodgers is sacked Liverpool FC will lose one loyal fan for good. Not that I would be missed with ever growing global fanbase.

Still have that arrogant smile of snake Purslow in front of my eyes telling me everything was going to be just ok with Hodgson after the sacking of Rafa. I wouldnt be able to stomach the cu*ts half-brother, Ian Ayre, doing the same to Brendan.

Having already lost my respect for the club and its values under current owners after Henrys humiliation of King Kenny, this would be just final nail in the coffin.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #29: Apr 24, 2015 05:35:21 am
      If Rodgers is sacked Liverpool FC will lose one loyal fan for good. Not that I would be missed with ever growing global fanbase.

Still have that arrogant smile of snake Purslow in front of my eyes telling me everything was going to be just ok with Hodgson after the sacking of Rafa. I wouldnt be able to stomach the cu*ts half-brother, Ian Ayre, doing the same to Brendan.

Having already lost my respect for the club and its values under current owners after Henrys humiliation of King Kenny, this would be just final nail in the coffin.

Go and support Chelsea then.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #30: Apr 24, 2015 08:01:07 am

I'm sorry mate but if the owners think decicive action needs taking to at least try and make results change for the better... Surely that is a good thing.

Whether it be a change in the recruitment set up or a change of manager, the way I see it they will be doing good for the team.

Assuming of course that they bring in a proven manager with a great pedigree.

I'm sure that even though they are saying they are happy with progress that they are pissed off as much as us with this season.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #31: Apr 24, 2015 08:13:46 am
      I'm sorry mate but if the owners think decicive action needs taking to at least try and make results change for the better... Surely that is a good thing.

Unfortunately though Steve they don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to making a successful football team.. A successful business yes but a football team?
      If we are relying on them then we may have a long wait and more frustrating years of poor footballing decisions to come
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #32: Apr 24, 2015 08:26:57 am
      Unfortunately though Steve they don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to making a successful football team.. A successful business yes but a football team?
      If we are relying on them then we may have a long wait and more frustrating years of poor footballing decisions to come

Yeah I know that mate but at least they will be showing that they're not happy with something and at least try to rectify it.

They might just be un happy for tha potential lack of CL money which is probably more likely than performances.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: Apr 24, 2015 08:58:33 am

Genuine question here. Which owner could build a successful team in any top flight competition in world football? Not too sure many owners even try to.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34: Apr 24, 2015 09:02:27 am
      Genuine question here. Which owner could build a successful team in any top flight competition in world football? Not too sure many owners even try to.

Their team isn't the one on the pitch mate, their team is the management team they put in place.. I have issues with the control of people like Ian Ayre have on so much of the football side, the convoluted committee which it seems is neither here nor there in terms of control..

Until that is sorted which is within their remit then I think we will continue to drag our feet and make mistakes. The actual football team is affected by the decisions they make.. No we can't ultimately blame them for how the money is spent but they can't be absolved of any responsibility for the structure they have put together which is failing

Its like trickle down economics, everything below is affected by that above

I'm not bashing them for the sake of it Crouchie, as I've said before they could have been the perfect owners a decade ago.. But the structure is flawed in my humble opinion.. And it's a structure they have put in place
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #35: Apr 24, 2015 09:08:00 am
      Their team isn't the one on the pitch mate, their team is the management team they put in place.. I have issues with the control of people like Ian Ayre have on so much of the football side, the convoluted committee which it seems is neither here nor there in terms of control..

Until that is sorted which is within their remit then I think we will continue to drag our feet and make mistakes. The actual football team is affected by the decisions they make.. No we can't ultimately blame them for how the money is spent but they can't be absolved of any responsibility for the structure they have put together which is failing

Its like trickle down economics, everything below is affected by that above

I'm not bashing them for the sake of it Crouchie, as I've said before they could have been the perfect owners a decade ago.. But the structure is flawed in my humble opinion.. And it's a structure they have put in place

Oh, that "team". My mistake.

100% agree then. Ayre and committee must go.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #36: Apr 24, 2015 09:16:33 am
      Oh, that "team". My mistake.

100% agree then. Ayre and committee must go.

Yeah that 'team' mate.. Put we can't pretend that the other 'team' isn't affected by that 'team'

As much as they aren't as bad as some make out Crouchie they certainly aren't clear of any accountability..

They haven't made it it their role just to put money up.. They have been hands on with the structure and the vision so they must be in the conversations about any failings.

If the structure was sorted then I'd have more confidence that the end 'team' would be better
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Apr 24, 2015 09:36:56 am
      Yeah that 'team' mate.. Put we can't pretend that the other 'team' isn't affected by that 'team'

As much as they aren't as bad as some make out Crouchie they certainly aren't clear of any accountability..

They haven't made it it their role just to put money up.. They have been hands on with the structure and the vision so they must be in the conversations about any failings.

If the structure was sorted then I'd have more confidence that the end 'team' would be better

Everyone has played a part in a bad season.

But just like Ayre and committee have affected Brendan's ability to do his job (Brendan is still in an envious position for many managers given the money spent), the committee have also affected FSG with their inability to carry out their job effectively.

Elite level young players are more than capable of delivering success, and we have bought established players at the same time, but we need people in charge of transfers who can perform better than what we have seen.

Had they done their job properly, Brendan wouldn't be under pressure (along with his tactics) and FSG wouldn't be copping the flak they have.

But again, everyone can take blame for this season being a massive wreck. The owners, committee, Brendan and players.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #38: Apr 24, 2015 09:50:08 am

But again, everyone can take blame for this season being a massive wreck. The owners, committee, Brendan and players.

We are in complete agreement

Don't get me wrong Brendan had made mistakes this season, I just find the whole structure so frustratingly annoying. We are playing a part in an unfair fight as it stands, to succeed we have to give ourselves the best possible chance and with this whole fractured structure we aren't doing that
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #39: Apr 24, 2015 10:13:32 am

But the owners cant sack themselves or all the players... they could change the committee but would they dismantle what they contructed?

that only leaves Brendan with a question mark - if he starts next season like this season, I think its a given they will sack him.... but then they will be fooked for a decent replacement....

who knows what will happen
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #40: Apr 24, 2015 10:17:28 am
      A ''great'' manager is one that in the past has been given the ''right tools'' to manage so he properly managed brought success for his club and all this made him 'great'. It's rather naive thinking to believe that Klopp or Mourinho (is being sussed out though) Simeone or any other big name have better knowledge of football than Rodgers, experience acquired off bigger clubs than the ones prior to BR'S LFC managerial career maybe, but it was trust that had been placed on them before becoming what they became.

BR's yet to contribute. In this respect can become a great manager .

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2015 12:19:15 pm by nikos »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #41: Apr 24, 2015 10:52:18 am
      If Rodgers is sacked Liverpool FC will lose one loyal fan for good.

For the second time this morning.

Get a grip.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Apr 24, 2015 11:07:30 am
      But the owners cant sack themselves or all the players... they could change the committee but would they dismantle what they contructed?

that only leaves Brendan with a question mark - if he starts next season like this season, I think its a given they will sack him.... but then they will be fooked for a decent replacement....

who knows what will happen

That's a problem indeed, and something i think a lot of people are happy they are not in charge of deciding.

I said earlier, you have Rafa and Klopp leading a host of managers available and it would be tempting to turn to either one. But we have a manager who has shown obvious potential but at times has got unstuck. He also doesn't really handle himself well when he opens his mouth in public surrounding the more sensitive subjects.

Just to throw a firework in to things, if Brendan is sacked we could see the end of the committee. FSG wanted the DoF at the helm but Brendan said no to that. If a new manager comes in - say Klopp who has worked with something similar to a DoF at Dortmund - that could all change.

So yes i do think FSG could change structure. But no i don't think it will be with Brendan at the helm. And that brings up another potential point about Brendan; a) his preferred system without a DoF is failing, or b) if it isn't failing, then his performance isn't good enough to have us in 5th in his 3rd season.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #43: Apr 24, 2015 11:29:53 am
      That's a problem indeed, and something i think a lot of people are happy they are not in charge of deciding.

I said earlier, you have Rafa and Klopp leading a host of managers available and it would be tempting to turn to either one. But we have a manager who has shown obvious potential but at times has got unstuck. He also doesn't really handle himself well when he opens his mouth in public surrounding the more sensitive subjects.

Just to throw a firework in to things, if Brendan is sacked we could see the end of the committee. FSG wanted the DoF at the helm but Brendan said no to that. If a new manager comes in - say Klopp who has worked with something similar to a DoF at Dortmund - that could all change.

So yes i do think FSG could change structure. But no i don't think it will be with Brendan at the helm. And that brings up another potential point about Brendan; a) his preferred system without a DoF is failing, or b) if it isn't failing, then his performance isn't good enough to have us in 5th in his 3rd season.

It’s definitely a conundrum… but reading the posts in this thread and BR thread also it seems people would rather BR stay but would also welcome a top draw replacement if it were to happen… it seems mad after last season, but its realistic FSG could actually sack him soon
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #44: Apr 24, 2015 11:33:13 am
      It’s definitely a conundrum… but reading the posts in this thread and BR thread also it seems people would rather BR stay but would also welcome a top draw replacement if it were to happen… it seems mad after last season, but its realistic FSG could actually sack him soon

Think his time here pretty much sums it up for most people. Patchy, frustrating, but potentially brilliant.

His replacement is the only thing of concern should he leave. I'd wager 9 people out of 10 would want Brendan to stay if the alternative was another up and comer. Things would be much more balanced if a Klopp or another top class manager were available who can take us to the next level after Brendan's initial work.

Personally, i think he should have another crack. But if he doesn't learn from his mistakes then he can only expect one thing. And that might be before the end of the next season arrives. However were he to leave and a top class manager to come in then i would have no worries about that either.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #45: Apr 24, 2015 12:07:59 pm
      Think his time here pretty much sums it up for most people. Patchy, frustrating, but potentially brilliant.

His replacement is the only thing of concern should he leave. I'd wager 9 people out of 10 would want Brendan to stay if the alternative was another up and comer. Things would be much more balanced if a Klopp or another top class manager were available who can take us to the next level after Brendan's initial work.

Personally, i think he should have another crack. But if he doesn't learn from his mistakes then he can only expect one thing. And that might be before the end of the next season arrives. However were he to leave and a top class manager to come in then i would have no worries about that either.

Personally I'd prefer a change in structure than a manager change

I'd insist on a DOF or similar, and then if Brendan refuses we would have an issue but I'd insist if I were fsg.. Then disband the current committee to how the DOF wants to structure it

Quick Reply