Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Asier Illarramendi (Real Madrid)

Read 46192 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Asier Illarramendi (Real Madrid)
      Reply #207: Aug 18, 2015 09:09:53 pm
      I'm not saying we just put in any youngster - they have to be good enough.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #208: Aug 19, 2015 12:13:11 am
      Our youth education of woodwork, cooking and being taught how to pitch a f**king tent

I thought at Chelsea they taught how to park a bus... you learn something new!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #209: Aug 21, 2015 05:31:27 pm
      Are people seriously suggesting Rossiter as a viable first team option at the moment? Jesus he's absolutely miles away, may never get there.

Don't see that much talent in the lad either, rather see us bring though "Pedro".
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #210: Aug 21, 2015 05:46:49 pm
      Are people seriously suggesting Rossiter as a viable first team option at the moment? Jesus he's absolutely miles away, may never get there.

Maybe you are right, maybe not. Guess we won't really know unless he or some of our youngsters are given a strong consistent run in the first team.

Don't see that much talent in the lad either, rather see us bring though "Pedro".

I really like Rossiter. I think he's a better defensive player than Chirivella, but Chirivella is the better passer for me. Then you have Jordan Williams out on loan, but got on the bench a few times for us last season. Maybe we should consider him if he has a strong few months for his current loan club.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #211: Aug 22, 2015 05:04:02 pm
      So I take it his not coming to the club then? No new updates just a debate about local talent.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #212: Aug 23, 2015 01:36:39 am
      So if the local talent are not as good as Illarra or who ever they should be promoted due to our social conscious towards the local community, from a private company owned by some Americans from Boston USA?

Get real next you lot will be suggesting local scousers go in free to Anfield.

How many times do we have to repeat this - not once did we say fill the team with just any average scouser, it is about putting all the effort in CREATING LOCAL TALENT. Key word is TALENT.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #213: Aug 23, 2015 05:19:12 am
      Bollocks
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #214: Aug 23, 2015 11:11:53 am
      So back on topic eh
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #215: Aug 23, 2015 04:54:48 pm
      Well I think there are a few players in the past who, with the right coaching at youth level, could have been coached into viable squad players. My point is we can't even make a decent squad player. I'm not looking for the next Gerrard or Fowler - these players are as you rightly suggest rarities. But say for example if some of the youth players who we released who have made it professionally in lower Premier League clubs or Championship teams were coached to a higher standard at a much earlier age (at the most important stages of development), then yes, I believe they could have been viabile, solid squad players for Liverpool. Again, not necessarily starting XI or star player billing, but good enough for the match day squad.

The problem with Liverpool - and England in particular - in recent decades is the neanderthal coaching methods for kids, and kids in this country are taught at youth level to pretty much be scared of the ball, kick it away at any given opportunity and emphasise physicality and suring up the win. In a nutshell - the Sam Allardyce approach to football. As much as winning is important in football, at an early age it is much more important for kids to be taught how to play football and emphasise technical ability rather than the old English mentality of lumpen, long ball defensive football where kids don't get even half the time on the ball. That might sure up a win, but it does no good whatsoever for the child's development.

The youth levels should therefore be about giving the kids the tools to win games when they are senior players. Any half-arsed pub team can be organised to nullify the opposition, and that pub team mentality has passed over onto the senior professional game and rotted down into the youth game. But by Liverpool FC's own high standard, the technical and attacking football from the glory years is the benchmark by which we must reach. Coaching kids who play with two left feet to stop the opposition isn't getting any club anywhere, and its getting the national team nowhere. The only way we can help ourselves get back to the top is coaching kids the right way, with a supreme emphasis on attacking and technical football, the like of which Ajax and Barca really do set the standard. How this links to Illarramendi is that he is being sought after to provide us with squad depth. Now for £15 million, that's a lot of money for a squad player. Now I might be very wrong, and if he did arrive, he may be an absolute star for us, but even then it doesn't undermine my point when you look back to the likes of players like Luis Alberto being brought in for £8 million, or Igor Biscan for £6 million (quite a lot in 2000), or etc, etc (there are far too many to think about). Think of all the money we have wasted in 25 years on squad players - it is shocking, and imagine if we could get our academy to fill those positions while we pool that extra money into buying a real star player. It really does pay off in the long term if we can get our academy up and running again.

And that is one of the reasons why we haven't won the league in so long - we are constantly spreading the transfer budget around the squad, desperately trying to fill holes that could be filled with a prosperous youth system. The richest clubs can just spend, spend, spend their way out of trouble, but we can't. That is why we must emphasise the production of able talent in our academy.

Give him his due, I think Biscan payed that off in some very important matches for us in our 2005 European Cup win.

El Hadj Diouf though....
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #216: Aug 24, 2015 04:53:00 pm
      Looks like illarramendi's move back to real Sociedad is almost done, good deal all round
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #217: Aug 24, 2015 04:53:18 pm
      AS reporting Illarramendi looks to be heading back to Sociedad for 15m euros.

http://as.com/diarioas/2015/08/24/english/1440431018_194827.html

American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #218: Aug 24, 2015 06:49:46 pm

Good piece of business for them. €15m = ~£11m. Would've been a tidy piece of business for us IMO. But best of luck to him, hopefully he can find the form he had prior to going to Madrid. Hate seeing excellent young talent get wasted by the politics/squads of huge clubs.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #219: Aug 25, 2015 07:10:32 pm
      No sneer fella - called it as I see it 

The point moved away from the original post - I assume because the point in that post was proven to be sh*te.

On finding out what the point now is - I gave my response which was... I've been saying the same fthing or years and I'm glad SoaG agrees.

No sneer - just fact buddy. Fact not designed to upset either you or SoaG (who the actual debate, you've looked on at and enjoyed so much, has been with).

So anyway, in the spirit of this thread... I reckon our young players did us proud tonight.

That was a sneer and you know it was as well. Bit less of the attitude wouldn't go amiss....fella.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015 07:23:35 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #220: Aug 26, 2015 08:19:07 am
      Spurs now having a sniff .
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #221: Aug 26, 2015 09:22:57 am

Of course they are - we went for him..!
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #222: Aug 26, 2015 10:38:12 am

Are you surprised?
       If a rumour/gossip comes with that LFC are interested in Ching Chon Buabba from Neverland( whoever and wherever that may be)
      be sure that they will be interested
      YNWA

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #223: Aug 26, 2015 12:05:38 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #224: Aug 26, 2015 12:07:34 pm
      Think of that as a damning indictment of their youth policy if it helps.

Or... Or... That Spurs (if they sign him, rather than give some cheery, cockney, chimney sweep a chance) are destined, just like the last team who signed him, to fail.  :lmao:
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #225: Aug 26, 2015 12:46:14 pm
      joining Real sociedad with Moyes.  for £12.4million
      another point to keep Lucas here

can be locked I suppose

YNWA

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #226: Aug 26, 2015 02:14:31 pm
      Guillem Balague@GuillemBalague
      Illarramendi to Real Sociedad for 16m euros. He was never a real target for Liverpool or Spurs
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #227: Aug 26, 2015 02:40:03 pm
      Sociedad have some damn good players.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #228: Aug 26, 2015 06:20:22 pm
      I've been offline recently and enjoyed the debate regarding the Academy even though it was wildly off topic so I've split the relelvant debate into a new thread which you can find here

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,48041.0.html
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #229: Aug 26, 2015 06:37:36 pm
      Think of that as a damning indictment of their youth policy if it helps.

Or... Or... That Spurs (if they sign him, rather than give some cheery, cockney, chimney sweep a chance) are destined, just like the last team who signed him, to fail.  :lmao:

Are you really taking my quotes and applying them to other clubs like Madrid who have unlimited funds to buy the best players? Spin master bullshitter you are - if it's not being sad enough to pick through everyone's post history who disagrees with you and condescendingly mock those for having different views, you are being uber-pedantic on a level that makes Alan Partridge look humble (Christ, I remember your pathetic spat you somehow made out of nothing through Diego's quality posting) .

As FMS said, less of the sneers and condescending tones to those you disagree with. It was all perfectly fine argument until your 'holier than thou' attitude turned up, sort yourself and your attitude pal.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Quick Reply