Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

The Manager Merry Go Round Tread: [Edited title to encompass all.]

Read 48241 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Re: Manager Merry Go Round: Klopp, Rafa, Ancelotti, Allardyce
      Reply #253: May 31, 2015 08:59:40 pm
      Maybe in your eyes, but no one could turn around and say they were surprised when he was off.

On my phone at the moment so can't check and confirm, but I'm fairly sure there was a few articles knocking around before the season finished that Barca were coming for him.

There has always been speculation about him going to Barca because he said himself he wanted to play there some day. The media were trying to chase him out of England too so you have to take all of their musings in context.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #254: May 31, 2015 09:02:03 pm
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #255: May 31, 2015 09:09:17 pm
      There is no such thing as luck.

Luck is a word used to describe a situation that is seemingly unexainable.

It's stupid to say that our good stretches are due to luck and our bad stretches are down to Brendan. That totally takes the players and their performance out of the equation.

And no, no one knew Suarez was leaving before the season was even over, revisionist history that is.

Brendan has a lot to answer for, but mystical things "luck" aren't included.

OK let's look at it another way 2 seasons ago How many times did we hit the woodwork. Was that down to bad luck, a crap strike team of Suarez and Sturridge or poor coaching by Brendan. Personally I would call that bad luck not Brendans fault nor SAS.

I also think it would pass the realms of credibility to believe that no one from the LFC management had any idea that Luis was likely to leave that summer. So much so that why were his contract terms ref leaving the club altered only months previously.

And finally as regards Brendan using your logic all of our successes during his reign including our magnificent unbeaten run are due to his outstanding coaching. His outstanding coaching has also added what to the LFC honours list? Worst defeat in how many seasons? Wimpering out of Europe twice.

shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #256: May 31, 2015 09:11:58 pm

There are quotes from Brendan saying that there is no way we would have Balotelli here. You have more faith in believing newsprint than I do.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #257: May 31, 2015 09:21:04 pm
      There are quotes from Brendan saying that there is no way we would have Balotelli here. You have more faith in believing newsprint than I do.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

A similar thing would be if Balotelli had said he wasn't coming here and then he came anyway.

And newsprint has nothing to do with it, we are talking quotes from the player himself.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #258: May 31, 2015 09:24:24 pm
      Well he doesn't appear to have done very well for us last season so quotes from players appear to be meaningless.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #259: May 31, 2015 09:28:24 pm

Fair enough, but we all know to take players quotes with a pinch of salt.

Anyway I don't think I'm making my point particularly clear, what I'm getting at that the club should have been far more prepared for his departure, it must have been there in their minds and I'm convinced that contract he signed was to sort out a buy out clause and a conversation had been had to say 'give us one more season' (I think Gerrard said he had the conversation with Suarez in fact).

The club should have been out looking in the markets for a player to replace Suarez, and had numerous options should plan A fall through. When the Sanchez deal died, we just jumped from A to B to C of any striker who seemed available and it all seemed very last minute. Not for the first time we were caught out in the transfer market and looked amateur because we failed to plan and it had a major impact on our season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #260: May 31, 2015 09:37:20 pm
      Fair enough, but we all know to take players quotes with a pinch of salt.

Anyway I don't think I'm making my point particularly clear, what I'm getting at that the club should have been far more prepared for his departure, it must have been there in their minds and I'm convinced that contract he signed was to sort out a buy out clause and a conversation had been had to say 'give us one more season' (I think Gerrard said he had the conversation with Suarez in fact).

The club should have been out looking in the markets for a player to replace Suarez, and had numerous options should plan A fall through. When the Sanchez deal died, we just jumped from A to B to C of any striker who seemed available and it all seemed very last minute. Not for the first time we were caught out in the transfer market and looked amateur because we failed to plan and it had a major impact on our season.

Maybe but unless my memory fails me, of the big name strikers that switched teams, we were in for two of them (Sanchez and Falcao).

Who else that switched teams was in their league?

We also supposedly looked at Benzema, Cavani and Higuain. It seems like we had about as good a backup plan as we could all things considered. We just don't have the personnel to close the deal and sew up the transfer.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #261: May 31, 2015 10:21:50 pm
      Man we ALL knew Suarez was leaving, get your head out the sand!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #262: May 31, 2015 11:09:28 pm

Right, everyone but Luis according to him. And if you think he was lying then shame on him for misleading everyone that supported him through his numerous indiscretions.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #263: May 31, 2015 11:22:03 pm
      Nope, I remember hearing stevie say that rafa was pretty emotionless and you were lucky to get a pat on the back... And even then he'd be pulling certain minutes up from the match and telling you you should have done things better.

To be honest, I don't get the gripe that Gerrard had towards Benitez showing no emotion. Footballers are adults, not playgroup children (though judging by their immaturity, that's hard to differentiate) and Benitez treated them as such, and I very much suspect Rafa knew of Gerrard's qualities anyway.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 841 
      Reply #264: Jun 01, 2015 09:00:44 am
      To be honest, I don't get the gripe that Gerrard had towards Benitez showing no emotion. Footballers are adults, not playgroup children (though judging by their immaturity, that's hard to differentiate) and Benitez treated them as such, and I very much suspect Rafa knew of Gerrard's qualities anyway.

I think it was more than emotions Gerrard had a gripe towards Benitez.

But that's just an assumption, I have no idea what happened between the two.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #265: Jun 01, 2015 11:59:17 am

Not trying to discredit the manager, playing players out of position, tactics that do not work and strange tactics and expects the players to perform, not forgetting players performing well got dropped next game

I agree with most of what you have said here, but just felt I needed to point out that You could be describing both  Gerard Houllier or Rafa Benitez as both were guilt of doing the same... But points taken
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #266: Jun 01, 2015 12:01:17 pm
      lambast players like Balotelli undeservedly.

"Undeservedly"???
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #267: Jun 01, 2015 12:17:52 pm
      However the sign of a good manager is how you cope when things are not going well and I think that is where things go pear shaped for him. The inability to change formation to suit the opposition or take account of available players, playing his 'favourites' rather than in form players, no plan B, strange team selections, strange substitutions both in timing and personnel

Sorry not nit picking here (Really), But again I agree in most parts with your post I feel in the interest of fairness i must point out that these things could also be leveled at Benitez and Houllier, both of whom won thorpies.

I think the point I'm making is there is no "Prefect Manager" out there and what is a good fit for one club,(Pardew and Palace) may not be such a good fit for another Club(Pardew and Newcastle) were as some managers need time to make thier mark on a club (Alex Ferguson/Man Utd). Just not sure we have seen the best of Brendan Rodgers  yet
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #268: Jun 01, 2015 12:26:04 pm
      The only thing can be said for sure is once Suarez sunk his teeth into Chiellini FSG were always going to sell him
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,307 posts | 4949 
      Reply #269: Jun 01, 2015 12:36:31 pm
      Sorry not nit picking here (Really), But again I agree in most parts with your post I feel in the interest of fairness i must point out that these things could also be leveled at Benitez and Houllier, both of whom won thorpies.

I think the point I'm making is there is no "Prefect Manager" out there and what is a good fit for one club,(Pardew and Palace) may not be such a good fit for another Club(Pardew and Newcastle) were as some managers need time to make thier mark on a club (Alex Ferguson/Man Utd). Just not sure we have seen the best of Brendan Rodgers  yet

Looking at Newcastle's form this year it would appear Pardew was actually a good fit for them.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #270: Jun 01, 2015 01:46:08 pm
      Official: Jürgen Klopp will not take over at a new club this summer. 'It makes sense to take a break after seven intensive years' #lfc

Great just great...We are game over...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,307 posts | 4949 
      Reply #271: Jun 01, 2015 01:52:10 pm
      Great just great...We are game over...

Aye because Klopp is the only potential replacement should Brendan move on.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #272: Jun 01, 2015 01:54:21 pm
      Aye because Klopp is the only potential replacement should Brendan move on.

Other than Ancelotti Si, he'd be the only upgrade in my opinion.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,307 posts | 4949 
      Reply #273: Jun 01, 2015 02:04:23 pm
      Other than Ancelotti Si, he'd be the only upgrade in my opinion.

So you think there are only two manager working in European football better than Brendan?

Or do you mean the only two currently unemployed who are better then Brendan?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #274: Jun 01, 2015 02:28:16 pm
      So you think there are only two manager working in European football better than Brendan?

Or do you mean the only two currently unemployed who are better then Brendan?

Of the managers named as available right now, they are the only two I would personally want at this club. Do you have others you would prefer?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #275: Jun 01, 2015 02:30:23 pm
      Klopp has confirmed his sabbatical  :(

So another season with Rodgers it is.

Quick Reply