Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W8 D1 L6

Christian Benteke (Aston Villa) - SIGNED BY LFC

Read 164620 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Re: Cristian Benteke (Aston Villa)
      Reply #391: Jun 30, 2015 09:40:10 pm
      Danny graham works his bollocks off whenever ive seen him play. He can hold the ball up so gets labeled as a target man but he also presses from the front and makes runs. He's also a very under rated footballer and can link up very well.

Come off it man Danny Graham is gash he's a Championship level striker at best. Benteke wipes the floor with him and I don't even rate Benteke that highly.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #392: Jun 30, 2015 09:43:39 pm
      Come off it man Danny Graham is gash he's a Championship level striker at best. Benteke wipes the floor with him and I don't even rate Benteke that highly.

I'm not saying graham is better than benteke. I'm saying I understand why he was in a Rodgers team. At Swansea too, by the way.

I'd go as far as saying benteke is a lazy player and that doesn't fit in with a brendan team. He is obsessed with pressing the other team and benteke doesn't do anything of the sort.

I'm gobsmacked if this is a brendan signing. Im certain this is a club signing, not a brendan signing.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #393: Jun 30, 2015 09:43:45 pm
      Danny graham works his bollocks off whenever ive seen him play. He can hold the ball up so gets labeled as a target man but he also presses from the front and makes runs. He's also a very under rated footballer and can link up very well.

Benteke won't move or make runs. He won't press. He won't fit into Brendan's team and I'm just so puzzled by this transfer. I'm convinced brendan doesn't want him and its a committee signing.

Those saying brendan is desperate to go to 4-3-3 and bring benteke in please tell me where sturridge comes in when he's fit. Remember sturridge? Guaranteed 20 goals a season? Our biggest asset? Where does he play then? On the left or right of the front three? I don't think so.

If sturridge does go on the left then where does firmino or Coutinho go?

A front three of Firmino sturridge and coutinho (none of who are target men) is far more attacking and dangerous than a front three of firmino benteke and coutinho/sturridge (out wide).

Sure - I can't see Benteke pressing much either nevertheless he has most other attributes that are required - perhaps they are reasoning that that side if the game can be coached into him?

I see Coutinho in the midfield three rather than the front line; as for Sturridge it's a huge shame but at the moment we just can't rely on him to be the basis for our attack.

Right now, any games we get from him will be a bonus.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #394: Jun 30, 2015 09:52:48 pm
      I'm not saying graham is better than benteke. I'm saying I understand why he was in a Rodgers team. At Swansea too, by the way.

I'd go as far as saying benteke is a lazy player and that doesn't fit in with a brendan team. He is obsessed with pressing the other team and benteke doesn't do anything of the sort.

I'm gobsmacked if this is a brendan signing. Im certain this is a club signing, not a brendan signing.

I get your point personally I would much prefer a more mobile striker like Lacazette or Higuain. But these are unrealistic targets.

I disagree with you that Rodgers doesn't want Benteke I think he absolutely wants him. Benteke is far more mobile than Balotelli, a lot less lazy , and he has a better attitude I think pressing the opposition is something that he can be trained to do.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #395: Jun 30, 2015 09:56:45 pm
      I get your point personally I would much prefer a more mobile striker like Lacazette or Higuain. But these are unrealistic targets.

I disagree with you that Rodgers doesn't want Benteke I think he absolutely wants him. Benteke is far more mobile than Balotelli, a lot less lazy , and he has a better attitude I think pressing the opposition is something that he can be trained to do.
      Don't disagree with any of this, good post.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #396: Jun 30, 2015 10:13:51 pm

Totally disagree.

Benteke doesn't move. Doesn't press, doesn't close down, doesn't make runs, doesn't drift wide to make space for himself or for his team mates. He stays still for 90minutes. Balotelli is similar but once brendan dropped him, whenever he came back into the team he actually did begin to close down and make runs etc as if he was trying to prove a point. He still wasn't good enough though and neither is benteke - while Rodgers is our manager. Balotelli is a far better footballer than Benteke, he is more gifted.

Do you ever see benteke move to the flank to pick the ball up like Henry did? Or like Suarez does? Even sturridge? He stays still for 90 minutes. Can you imagine benteke linking up with cou and firmino because I cant. We need a mobile striker.

I believe benteke is a committee signing. I'm making a prediction now. We will sign him and he will flop instantly because he isn't suited to play in a team that plays with a high tempo and keeps the ball on the deck. Once Danny is fit we will go back to a diamond and Ings will partner him, benteke will be dropped, and we will look far better. In the meantime Brendan will get a load of sh*t because the club signed benteke for 32m and we end up selling him to Newcastle for 7 :lmao:

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #397: Jun 30, 2015 10:20:16 pm
      Totally disagree.

Benteke doesn't move. Doesn't press, doesn't close down, doesn't make runs, doesn't drift wide to make space for himself or for his team mates. He stays still for 90minutes. Balotelli is similar but once brendan dropped him, whenever he came back into the team he actually did begin to close down and make runs etc as if he was trying to prove a point. He still wasn't good enough though and neither is benteke - while Rodgers is our manager. Balotelli is a far better footballer than Benteke, he is more gifted.

Do you ever see benteke move to the flank to pick the ball up like Henry did? Or like Suarez does? Even sturridge? He stays still for 90 minutes. Can you imagine benteke linking up with cou and firmino because I cant. We need a mobile striker.

I believe benteke is a committee signing. I'm making a prediction now. We will sign him and he will flop instantly because he isn't suited to play in a team that plays with a high tempo and keeps the ball on the deck. Once Danny is fit we will go back to a diamond and Ings will partner him, benteke will be dropped, and we will look far better. In the meantime Brendan will get a load of sh*t because the club signed benteke for 32m and we end up selling him to Newcastle for 7 :lmao:

If we get Benteke suffice to say Brendan signed off on it; so any sh*t he does receive if it fails is of his own making.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #398: Jun 30, 2015 10:20:34 pm
      Totally disagree.

Benteke doesn't move. Doesn't press, doesn't close down, doesn't make runs, doesn't drift wide to make space for himself or for his team mates. He stays still for 90minutes.

Now I know you not only haven't watched him, but you apparently didn't even watch the game where we played Villa. He caused all kinds of problems for our back two with his movement. Skrtel was crapping his pants all night if I remember that game correctly and I'm pretty sure I do.

Benteke vs. LFC
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #399: Jun 30, 2015 10:24:26 pm
      If we get Benteke suffice to say Brendan signed off on it; so any sh*t he does receive if it fails is of his own making.

Unfortunately this is true. Just like it was true with Balotelli. Even though Brendan never wanted him. But the manager will always take the bullet.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,357 posts | 1535 
      Reply #400: Jun 30, 2015 10:25:37 pm
      It seems any player who has a particularly good game against us becomes a target. Doesn't seem to matter that they are sh*te for most of the rest of the season. Two word conclusion....NO THANKS.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #401: Jun 30, 2015 10:29:43 pm
      Now I know you not only haven't watched him, but you apparently didn't even watch the game where we played Villa. He caused all kinds of problems for our back two with his movement. Skrtel was crapping his pants all night if I remember that game correctly and I'm pretty sure I do.

Benteke vs. LFC

No you're right. I've never seen benteke play and I rarely watch football.

Oh by the way our defence has struggled with big physical forwards for years now. Even the likes of Zamora bullied Skrtel, agger, Carragher. The amount of goals we have conceded over the years from set pieces and crosses is laughable. We've been that way ever since Sami left us.

If I really wanted too I could find a video of benteke which shows his lack of movement and his shocking link up play but instead I'll just laugh at you thinking he will be a beast for us.

Can't wait to see his player thread this time in about 6 months. Should be rather funny. No doubt Brendan will get all the blame for not playing to his strengths. Rather than blaming the committee for not signing somebody who fits in to our team.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #402: Jun 30, 2015 10:29:45 pm
      Unfortunately this is true. Just like it was true with Balotelli. Even though Brendan never wanted him. But the manager will always take the bullet.

I have little doubt that if we have 30 million to spend on a striker that Brendan will be handed a list and told to mark off the ones he would not even consider, past that he will go down the list and rank them.

Gordon and whoever else is doing the transfers will start at the #1 and try to get that player.

We have been linked with Benteke since last year, we are heavily linked with him now and that is not because Brendan is having Benteke shoved down his throat its because he is at or near the top of his rankings.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,357 posts | 6398 
      Reply #403: Jun 30, 2015 10:36:45 pm
      No you're right. I've never seen benteke play and I rarely watch football.

Oh by the way our defence has struggled with big physical forwards for years now. Even the likes of Zamora bullied Skrtel, agger, Carragher. The amount of goals we have conceded over the years from set pieces and crosses is laughable. We've been that way ever since Sami left us.

If I really wanted too I could find a video of benteke which shows his lack of movement and his shocking link up play but instead I'll just laugh at you thinking he will be a beast for us.

Can't wait to see his player thread this time in about 6 months. Should be rather funny. No doubt Brendan will get all the blame for not playing to his strengths. Rather than blaming the committee for not signing somebody who fits in to our team.

I never said he'd be a beast for us did I? Can you find where I said that and quote it? Because I don't remember that.

I believe all I've contended is that people that are saying he's only an immobile target man are simply saying that because he's big and not because they've tried to do any research and actually tried to verify it.

Check early in this thread...I was against this signing at first just like everyone else, but I've since tried to do some more research and determine if there's a reason Brendan might want him (and don't kid yourself, I'm a proponent of the idea that Brendan has had players thrust on him but this isn't one of them...not at that price) and it appears that many folks have him pegged wrong.

But sure, go ahead and assume because he's tall and strong that he's just another Carroll clone. Assume that because he played one way under Lambert he'll play that way under Rodgers as well.

And just go on assuming that Sturridge is just as useless as he was at Chelsea while you are at it. ;)
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #404: Jun 30, 2015 10:46:49 pm
      I have little doubt that if we have 30 million to spend on a striker that Brendan will be handed a list and told to mark off the ones he would not even consider, past that he will go down the list and rank them.

Gordon and whoever else is doing the transfers will start at the #1 and try to get that player.

We have been linked with Benteke since last year, we are heavily linked with him now and that is not because Brendan is having Benteke shoved down his throat its because he is at or near the top of his rankings.

Why wasn't benteke signed last summer then? We had a wad of cash but we brought in lambert and Balotelli for 20m combined. Benteke would have gone for near enough that.

We were in for Sanchez who is a completely different type of player to Benteke. It was rumoured we showed interest in both Tevez and Bacca this summer who fit into our system far better than Benteke does.

Who's left who we can bring in realistically? What strikers are available who we can afford and who want to play for us? I'm struggling to think of anyone.

So like last season when we were left with Balotelli as the only option it feels the same way with benteke now.

I bet now that benteke is signed and he will start the first dozen or so games for us because of the price we paid for him. We will all become frustrated with him and he will end up being dropped. Ings will come in and do a far better job. I'll bet anything Ings scores more goals for us than Benteke does next season should we sign him.

I find it hard to believe Rodgers wants benteke to lead our attack when he persisted with sterling (the absolute opposite of a target man) as a lone striker last season when he had Balotelli - who is better than benteke. He also had lambert who did well the previous season.

I also find it hard to believe he wants benteke because I don't see where sturridge comes in once he is fit. You can't bench benteke because we paid 30+ for him so what are the options? Drop sturridge? Play sturridge wide? Play sturridge and benteke as a pair? None of them work.

I also don't see how benteke will link up with coutinho and firmino who will be our attack next season. They keep it on the deck and benteke is at his best when balls are played forward to him or he is given something to attack. He isn't a pass and move player.

At least Ings will run into space and give cou and firm something to work with. They will struggle playing with benteke.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #405: Jun 30, 2015 10:53:24 pm
      Doesn't move. Doesn't press, doesn't close down, doesn't make runs  :-\
      You are now taking it way too far just to make a point HTM.
      Benteke is certainly no Suarez running around like a mad man (who is anyway?) but he does a lot of those things. Stands still for 90 minutes? Please  :roll:
      http://streamable.com/al4x
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #406: Jun 30, 2015 10:54:38 pm
      Why wasn't benteke signed last summer then? We had a wad of cash but we brought in lambert and Balotelli for 20m combined. Benteke would have gone for near enough that.

We were linked that January, backed off after his achilles injury in April (he was out until mid-September)....I am going to leave it there as the fact you did not even know that tells me all I need to know.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #407: Jun 30, 2015 10:56:30 pm
      Why wasn't benteke signed last summer then?

Because he ruptured his achilles.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #408: Jun 30, 2015 11:02:18 pm
      We were linked that January, backed off after his Achilles injury in April (he was out until mid-September)....I am going to leave it there as the fact you did not even know that tells me all I need to know.

Because I didn't know or forgot an Aston villa player was injured :lmao: ok.

We've had opportunities to sign him in the past. We never have.

Wonder why nobody else is showing an interest in benteke as he is so great.

Yeah leave it here because I know if we sign him he will be a flop. Just like all the other target men we've had under Rodgers. So let's just see.

Rodgers refused to play both Lambert and Balotelli and he shipped out Carroll. He wanted a little kid who's about 5ft 2 to lead our attack by himself last season.

I'll just bide my time until he freezes out benteke too because he can't cut it at Liverpool and doesn't fit into a pass and move side.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #409: Jun 30, 2015 11:04:43 pm
      Benteke is certainly no Suarez running around like a mad man (who is anyway?) but he does a lot of those things. Stands still for 90 minutes? Please  :roll:

I think benteke would be fairly decent for Chelsea or the mancs perhaps. Not us.

Ings will score more goals in our team than Benteke will. I'll make that bet with anyone right now.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #410: Jun 30, 2015 11:05:00 pm
      Because I didn't know or forgot an Aston villa player was injured  ok.

Your the one that asked the question, Deb and I gave you the answer; if it was not good enough for you don't ask.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #411: Jun 30, 2015 11:19:56 pm
      Your the one that asked the question, Deb and I gave you the answer; if it was not good enough for you don't ask.

sanchez was the target.

We were/have been linked with other players too until it becomes apparent they don't want to come here or FSG won't pay for their transfer fee or wages.

We are then stuck with the likes of benteke who is a premier league player on form at a smaller club who is a big fish in a small pond. Something our committee loves to recruit. Stand by what I said that if sherwood didn't come in last season then Bentekes dreadful form would have continued and our committee wouldn't be looking at him right now.

Benteke doesn't fit in with the way we play. We play the way we do because of Rodgers. Unless we dramatically change our style and go more direct then benteke will be a flop here. This signing stinks of the committee.

He doesn't fit in with sturridge firmino or coutinho. There is no way sturridge will play out wide in a 4-3-3. Even our back up attack of Ibe and Markovic keep it on the deck. Sterling does if he was to stay. So does Lallana. Milner can whip a ball in but he will most likely be playing central for us next season. 

Why would brendan pay 30m for a player who he won't play to his strengths? Doesn't make sense.

Brendan's teams are all about high tempo. Benteke doesn't fit in.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #412: Jun 30, 2015 11:26:17 pm

Dress it up how you like but Benteke is a target man plain and simple.

I have to agree with the majority of what HamannsTheMan had to say, and no matter what spin you put on it, Benteke is a target man and would probably struggle in a Rodgers team last 3 seasons. We'll definitely have to adjust if we sign him, but it can still work, even with the likes of Firmino, Lallana, Coutinho etc.

The only thing I would disagree with you(HamannsTheMan) is that Rodgers doesn't want him and it's the other committee members overruling him. The only way to know is if we buy him and see whether he adapts or not... and then perhaps we'll know for sure.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #413: Jun 30, 2015 11:31:10 pm
      I like the idea of Benteke. A striker that is dominant in the air, quick, strong and can score all different types of goals. Whether it works out in practice for us or not is another question.

I for one won't complain if we sign him, he has the ability to make it here. However, judging by the expected reaction if we do sign him, Brendan's future here will probably hang on how well this lad performs in his first few months here.

Massive pressure on him straight away if he comes here.

Quick Reply