Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Mateo Kovacic (Inter Milan)

Read 23776 times
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: Mateo Kovacic (Inter Milan)
      Reply #69: Jun 05, 2015 10:36:20 pm
      F**k it, never seen the kid play but sign him up. If it doesn't work out its not like we haven't been disappointed before.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #70: Jun 05, 2015 11:00:26 pm
      F**k it, never seen the kid play but sign him up. If it doesn't work out its not like we haven't been disappointed before.

That's the spirit mate ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,312 posts | 4950 
      Reply #71: Jun 05, 2015 11:02:36 pm

:D

It is. We should all take a leaf out of Poko's book. Life's too short.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #72: Jun 06, 2015 01:06:05 am
      :D

It is. We should all take a leaf out of Poko's book. Life's too short.

I can't even tell you guys how many times I have contemplated staying away from all of the LFC transfer drama in the summer months. That way when I come back in August my confidence is still high and I have no idea on who we missed out on.

The problem is, I always tell myself I will do that, and it never happens.  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #73: Jun 06, 2015 10:06:17 am
      I can't even tell you guys how many times I have contemplated staying away from all of the LFC transfer drama in the summer months. That way when I come back in August my confidence is still high and I have no idea on who we missed out on.

The problem is, I always tell myself I will do that, and it never happens.  ;D

That's a long, long time to go without your transfer rumour fix mate :D It's quite difficult though in today's world with Twitter, Facebook, TV, Radio sports channels and the internet.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #74: Jun 07, 2015 09:35:56 am
      Thanks for the youtube vid, Orchard Red.  Much as I distrust video highlights as a scouting tool (and suspect clubs rely on them too much!), there seems to be a lot to like about this lad from that clip:

He can finish!
      He's deceptively quick and well-balanced.
      He's direct and single minded - always looking for goal, wherever he picks up the ball.
      He has an extra turn of speed that gets him past defenders.
      He forces opponents to leave their areas to close him down.
      He attacks gaps, not crowds of legs!

In a counter-attacking set-up he could be very effective, and I reckon that's how we need to operate next season - it worked in 2013/14.

Some sources (e.g The Star) claim we've agreed terms.  Let's hope he's one young potential talent who DOES come good fast!  :o

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #75: Jun 07, 2015 09:53:00 am
      Why another midfielder? For Christ's sake we need forwards. How many midfielders do we need? This TC is terrible.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #76: Jun 07, 2015 10:00:16 am
      Why another midfielder? For Christ's sake we need forwards. How many midfielders do we need? This TC is terrible.

We also need another midfielder though.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #77: Jun 07, 2015 10:03:55 am
      We also need another midfielder though.

haha :) :D
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #78: Jun 07, 2015 10:55:37 am
      I actually do think we need two midfielders though. It's not our priority but we do need them.

We need somebody who can put his foot on the ball and pick a pass out.

And we need a presence. A steven Gerrard, a Roy Keane, a Vieira type.

Can, Hendo, and Milner are all too similar to each other. They will run all day for you and work their bollocks off but they aren't the greatest footballers and they don't bring a physical presence really either. Can MIGHT fill that physical role possibly but he is still not proven as a CM for us yet. As good as he has been playing RCB for us, I think he is actually a basic footballer. He reminds me of carragher in some ways and imagine Carra in the holding role! I think Can is more suited playing the game in front of him so playing from the back. I think we will get frustrated with Can at times next season if he is playing in midfield. 

Joe Allen can go, he offers us nothing. If we can find a buyer then brendan needs to swallow some pride and let his Welsh xavi go. Some sh*t club like Villa will buy him for 7-8m.

Lucas can go too. I love him and think he is top class but don't think he will ever be fit enough to last a full season any more.

Bring in kovacic and then all we need is a big bully. Joey Barton on a free anyone ? :lmao:

We do seriously need a player like Kovacic though. Too many times last season Coutinho looked lost because our sh*te players weren't on his wave length. Players like Kovacic will be.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #79: Jun 07, 2015 11:07:50 am

I hear you buddy and feel your 'pain'.

Every transfer window, from the Summer of 2012 [which sparked John Henry's Policy statement], everyone, who knows that a football is blown up and not stuffed, has been calling for those in charge of transfers to target the area of greatest need first and 'worry' about other positions later; only filling them after 'we' have signed top quality where it's needed most.

Every transfer window, from the Summer of 2012, those in charge of transfers have failed.

At some point, during the end-of-season reviews, you would imagine someone [any F***ing one] will have pointed this fact out. So why the F**k is it always ignored?

I don't know of this lad and I'm not going to pretend I do so I'll be honest when I ask - If he's a first team improver; who is he better than and how much better will we be with him starting?

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #80: Jun 07, 2015 12:00:46 pm
      Looks the part and according to the twatter machine its all but done.... Must be almost time for Chelsea's late bid and swipe.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,617 posts | 753 
      Reply #81: Jun 07, 2015 01:07:02 pm
      when coutinho played deeper for us (during our title run) he was great. not sure why it didnt happen this season. but  with Gerrard leaving maybe he will return there if we get a real DM
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,617 posts | 753 
      Reply #82: Jun 07, 2015 01:08:28 pm
      I actually do think we need two midfielders though. It's not our priority but we do need them.

We need somebody who can put his foot on the ball and pick a pass out.

And we need a presence. A steven Gerrard, a Roy Keane, a Vieira type.

bring back mascherano :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #83: Jun 07, 2015 04:23:46 pm
      Liverpool are closing in on their second summer signing after reportedly agreeing terms with Inter Milan for 21-year-old midfielder Mateo Kovacic. (Daily Star)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #84: Jun 07, 2015 04:30:13 pm
      There's no doubt about what our priority should be, which is to strengthen our attack. But I'd like another midfielder as well. I'm just not sure if Kovacic is that player. Not that I have seen that much of him, but I did some research and there are many blog posts and discussions about what his best position actually is, and many seem to think that he is better playing behind the strikers. Do we need another one though? We're pretty strong in that position with Coutinho, Lallana and, if by some miracle he stays, Sterling. I wouldn't think we need to spend our resources on another one. Unless, of course, Rodgers plans to use him differently. I have no idea.

Instead, I'd prefer a player such as Geis from Mainz - a pretty good deep lying playmaker that created as many chances as Sterling with the difference that he plays much deeper. He could operate as a CM or a DM. Just found this article if anyone is interested: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2079055-scouting-report-will-manchester-united-target-mainz-maestro-johannes-geis

I totally expect this guy to be playing for a bigger German side (Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen) pretty soon. (I can already see my posts in the future saying "Liverpool should have listened to me", like I do with Schurrle, Vidal, Cahill and others :D)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #85: Jun 07, 2015 05:06:18 pm
      There's no doubt about what our priority should be, which is to strengthen our attack. But I'd like another midfielder as well. I'm just not sure if Kovacic is that player. Not that I have seen that much of him, but I did some research and there are many blog posts and discussions about what his best position actually is, and many seem to think that he is better playing behind the strikers. Do we need another one though? We're pretty strong in that position with Coutinho, Lallana and, if by some miracle he stays, Sterling. I wouldn't think we need to spend our resources on another one. Unless, of course, Rodgers plans to use him differently. I have no idea.

Instead, I'd prefer a player such as Geis from Mainz - a pretty good deep lying playmaker that created as many chances as Sterling with the difference that he plays much deeper. He could operate as a CM or a DM. Just found this article if anyone is interested: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2079055-scouting-report-will-manchester-united-target-mainz-maestro-johannes-geis

I totally expect this guy to be playing for a bigger German side (Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen) pretty soon. (I can already see my posts in the future saying "Liverpool should have listened to me", like I do with Schurrle, Vidal, Cahill and others :D)

How's that head of yours mate? Can it fit through doorways? :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #86: Jun 07, 2015 05:28:05 pm
      How's that head of yours mate? Can it fit through doorways? :D

haha ;D I keep quiet about all my mistakes though...  :f_whistle:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #87: Jun 07, 2015 05:46:47 pm

Couldn't agree more. I think Kovacic is not the midfielder we need to look at, especially now that we have Milner. I am not overly confident of a Milner, Hendo, Can and Allen midfield, simply because they are not ball players. We need balance and someone in the middle to dictate or calm the play down if we want to play a passing game, and especially if we want to get the best out of Coutinho.

Would love to see us play 2 in the middle with Coutinho as the #10 and have Hendo or Milner fight for that box-box role. Not seen Geis play, and it seems unlikely we'll be getting Illara or Schniderlin, so adding an alternative, I would love, Camacho from Malaga!!!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,709 posts | 895 
      Reply #88: Jun 07, 2015 05:53:44 pm
      like everybody has pointed out before we dont need an another AM, so the only reason i can think of why we are after him is because he will be cheap and either him or cou will play as CM. So instead of buying a proper CM. we are going for a cheap solution. really hard to stay positive these days.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #89: Jun 07, 2015 08:07:58 pm

So lallana was certainly not the impact sub I thought he would be. Maybe this lad will improve our bench.

As long as we address the goals too, I have no issue with us buying new players.... Especially ones I know nothing about and cant judge accordingly...
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #90: Jun 07, 2015 11:35:23 pm
      he scored beautiful goal for Croatia. It is vs Gibraltar, but still ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixTdHc0iRQA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #91: Jun 08, 2015 11:19:13 am
      I don't know of this lad and I'm not going to pretend I do so I'll be honest when I ask - If he's a first team improver; who is he better than and how much better will we be with him starting?

Anyone?  :confused-smiley-013:

Quick Reply